Are We a Playoff Team with A.J. ?

12 hours ago, dbflaBill said:

This team shouldnt of been in the playoffs last year. Overall there is no talent on this team. McCoy is the only player worth a damn, and history says hes inline for a below average year this year. 

What about McCoy's history says he's due for a below average year?

8 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Sorry I misread your post....     AJ is 2-1 in the regular season and 0-1 in the playoffs  ----  but from what I have read and  been told by Bengals fans  AJ scored 16 points in the 4th QRT against the Steelers and the Bengals lost the game by 2 blunders by the Bengals defense lost them the game 18-16.  

Steelers pull out improbable win with help of late Bengals penalties

Chris Boswell kicked a 35-yard field goal with 14 seconds remaining as Pittsburgh somehow pulled out an 18-16 victory thanks to consecutive 15-yard penalties on the Bengals, one on linebacker Vontaze Burfict and another on cornerback Adam Jones.

• Burfict dropped his shoulder and hit a defenseless Brown in the helmet as the All-Pro receiver came across the middle,  
  • Jones lost his cool after getting into it with Steelers assistant coach Joey Porter when Porter came onto the field as Brown was being tended to by trainers.

People are all telling me that McCarron can play. Im bit a of a disbeliever due to the fact i dont think Bama produces players in the league. But Cincy fans seem to think he has promise

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I never said he was awful, but that he had 4 awful games this past season, which is twice as bad as past seasons.  

This seems to be ShadyBillsFan's latest mantra, and I confess it's extremely effective. Four awful games !!! 

I don't see how anyone can stand for that; someone who has four "awful games" surely must be shown the door, right?

Say this McCoy guy :

• Carolina : 12 carries,  9 yards,  .8 ypc
  • Denver :   14 carries,  21 yards,  1.5 ypc
  • Jets :        12 carries,  25 yards,  2.1 ypc
  • Miami :    20 carries,  50 yards,   2.5 ypc
  • Miami :    11 carries,  10 yards,  .9 ypc

Of course he was out with an injury in the third quarter of the last Miami game, so that's not fair.

In fact, the whole damn list isn't fair. LeSean made big plays throughout the year critical to the team's victories. And the problems he had over the season were rooted in bungling by the coaches, who insisted on screwing-up a league-leading rushing game with useless scheme change. So yeah: Not fair.

Of course you could make very similar points about Taylor, couldn't you? He was saddled with poor pass protection, a hideous OC, and saw his receiver corps completely gutted preseason; then replaced  with cripples, cast-offs, and one deer-in-the-headlights rookie. I'm certain ShadyBillsFan is willing to be fair about all that, right? 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Looper said:

Assuming we don't get one of the big 4 QBs, are we a playoff team with A.J. ? Or are we the 2017 Browns and the #1 seed to get Drew Luck, Jacob Eason, or Jarrett Stidham next year ? 

Is it worth even using a draft pick on Rudolph or Jackson ? 

IMO we are a playoff team with AJ starting.

i agree (at this point) Rudolph and Jackson are 5th and 6th best QBs available.

I think Jackson and Rudolph could be franchise QBs.  Not good odds, but, possible.  If we miss on everything I think you take one of them at #22.

Go Bills!

18 hours ago, Looper said:

Are we a playoff team with AJ?

I just don't care, and I don't think the brain trust does either.

We were a playoff team this year but clearly not good enough to win a title. And that's the goal, to consistently be good enough to compete for a title, to consistently be in the mix. Making the playoffs as a fodder team, a tuneup for the teams with a legitimate shot, should mean absolutely nothing.

8 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

People are all telling me that McCarron can play. Im bit a of a disbeliever due to the fact i dont think Bama produces players in the league. But Cincy fans seem to think he has promise

I've also read stuff from other Bengals fans who weren't impressed with him.  Go figure, fans who don't like the backup.

I don't follow college, so what do I know.   I have read people on here bragging on players that have won the National Championship etc.  

Time will tell.   

Only if they can fix the OL and have a top running game would AJ have a chance. This is a rebuild year so i'll settle for progress and hope for a top 4 QB in the draft.

If the Bills can't trade up for a QB then plan B would be a trade for Foles later in the season if Wentz is 100%.

On 3/29/2018 at 10:03 AM, dbflaBill said:

This is funny. somehow a proven NFL starter is worse than a qb thats never really played. 

Problem is, TT may be a "proven NFL starter" BUT he was traded because he is not a "proven NFL CLOSER"!

5 minutes ago, klos63 said:

No he didn't.

Lowest avg/carry, second lowest avg/game. so yea he did. Historically backs fall off a cliff around 30. He is on the back 9 of his career not the front. To expect the same output as hes previous 3 years would be foolish. 

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I just don't care, and I don't think the brain trust does either.

We were a playoff team this year but clearly not good enough to win a title. And that's the goal, to consistently be good enough to compete for a title, to consistently be in the mix. Making the playoffs as a fodder team, a tuneup for the teams with a legitimate shot, should mean absolutely nothing.

I would argue that a team that makes the playoffs and then loses the first game by a TD, is "in the mix"

As it stands right now, I don't expect the Bills to win more than 4 games in 2018, but we still have the draft and if we get 3 or 4 guys that have rookie seasons like White did, then maybe. I would add that I am very unimpressed by the FA's we've signed so far.

18 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

As it stands right now, I don't expect the Bills to win more than 4 games in 2018, but we still have the draft and if we get 3 or 4 guys that have rookie seasons like White did, then maybe. I would add that I am very unimpressed by the FA's we've signed so far.

Didn't you learn anything last year?

24 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Didn't you learn anything last year?

#TrustTheProcess

I won't predict a number of wins - but I sort of expect a regression - although maybe we won't get hammered with WR/TE(Clay) injuries this season - and we'll upgrade the OL.  We did upgrade the DL.  On the other hand, I do trust the process and would not be shocked if they do improve in year 2.  I guess the other wildcard is the change at OC.

7 hours ago, Luka said:

We made the playoffs with guys like Tyrod, Joe Webb and Peterman playing QB so I would have to say yea, we're still a playoff team with AJ.

Highly unlikely in my opinion that the Bills are a playoff team.

Even if Mccaron is equal to tyrod, the chances of the Bills forcing those types of turnovers and getting those fortunate bounces just to sneak in the playoffs again are very slim.

The Bills overachieved last year.

I see them around 7 to 8 wins next year 

I thought about this one for quite a while before saying anything. AJ is a winner and a fiery competitor. I have no doubt that he will push whomever we draft for the starting position. If we roll with him as the starter then I say we are on the fringe. 

AJ is fairly accurate and seems to make good decisions. The question is the arm strength. The further he throws the ball down the field the stranger it looks. It's like he has to put everything he's got into getting the ball 50 yards down field. Even then his passes have a strange trajectory. I think we can win, and I think he may be an upgrade over Tyrod in different ways, but I don't think he makes our team as a whole better than we were per say. 

Edited by H2o

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Such as?

-Getting WRs more involved

-Getting the ball out on time takes pressure off Oline

- The two above may open up some room Shady

Tyrods biggest weakness in my opinion was his play late in games when you need to score. He continued to play safe. In all 3 of his seasons here he just couldn’t get the job done. There was also plenty of times late in first half where we had the ball, some points can have big impact on the game in this situation. Tyrod goes 3 and out, the other team gets the ball and they put points on the board. 

All can help offense improve,  and the play late in games can have a major impact on our final record

Edited by BananaB

Just now, BananaB said:

Tyrods biggest weakness in my opinion was his play late in games when you need to score. He continued to play safe. In all 3 of his seasons here he just couldn’t get the job done. There was also plenty of times late in halfs where we had the ball, some points can have big impact on the game in this situation. Tyrod goes 3 and out, the other team gets the ball and they put points on the board. 

All can help offense improve,  and the play late in games can have a major impact on our final record

AJM has a lot to prove with regard to any of what you posted as reasons and especially so with lesser talent than what he played with in CIN.  He doesn't react particularly well to pressure and takes too many sacks.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Tyrods biggest weakness in my opinion was his play late in games when you need to score. He continued to play safe. In all 3 of his seasons here he just couldn’t get the job done. There was also plenty of times late in first half where we had the ball, some points can have big impact on the game in this situation. Tyrod goes 3 and out, the other team gets the ball and they put points on the board. 

People forget that with an offense that featured green, sanu and Marvin jones at wr McCarron succeeded in passing for over 200 yds just once in his four starts back in 2015. He’s really shown nothing to support anyone’s assertion he’s gonna get wr’s more involved or improve the passing game at all. 

He very well might be able to. And I really hope he does but he’s not done much to prove he can. 

On 3/30/2018 at 7:29 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

I've also read stuff from other Bengals fans who weren't impressed with him.  Go figure, fans who don't like the backup.

I don't follow college, so what do I know.   I have read people on here bragging on players that have won the National Championship etc.  

Time will tell.   

I watch college and the Bills and I hate Bama players  but I think a change from Tyrod ball will be a breath of fresh air. he isn't going to be the franchise but hopefully we see some semblance of a pass game. I really hope that we see an emergence of a young qb soon.

11 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

People forget that with an offense that featured green, sanu and Marvin jones at wr McCarron succeeded in passing for over 200 yds just once in his four starts back in 2015. He’s really shown nothing to support anyone’s assertion he’s gonna get wr’s more involved or improve the passing game at all. 

He very well might be able to. And I really hope he does but he’s not done much to prove he can. 

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

AJM has a lot to prove with regard to any of what you posted as reasons and especially so with lesser talent than what he played with in CIN.  He doesn't react particularly well to pressure and takes too many sacks.

We’ll see what happens. You guys want to evaluate a guy on four starts and compare him too a guy that has played 40+... I’m not saying he’s gonna do all this, i’m just saying there is a lot that can be improved upon to help improve this offense and that it’s possible AJ can. We don’t know where AJ is in his development, if he has improved since his last time seeing significant action. It’s not like we need HOF QB play to improve on what we watched these past few years.

Edited by BananaB

1 minute ago, BananaB said:

We’ll see what happens. You guys want to evaluate a guy on four starts and compare him too a guy that has played 40+... I’m not saying he’s gonna do all this, i’m just saying there is a lot that can be improved upon to help improve this offense and that it’s possible AJ can help us. We don’t know where AJ is in his development, if he has improved since his last time seeing significant action. It’s not like we need HOF QB play to improve on what we watched these past few years.

I'm evaluating him on his own play and nothing else. 

8 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Even if Mccaron is equal to tyrod, the chances of the Bills forcing those types of turnovers and getting those fortunate bounces just to sneak in the playoffs again are very slim.

With even slightly competent QB play last year we were a 10 or 11 win team.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BananaB said:

Thats one thing your right about.

Again, he averaged 208 yards per game in CIN with a great receiving corps which is something that we do not have in BUF.  Don't get your hopes up too high. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Again, he averaged 208 yards per game in CIN with a great receiving corps which is something that we do not have in BUF.  Go get your hopes up too high. 

All your years of watching football and you never seen a player improve?

9 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

They addressed their major weaknesses on D with FAs, run D and pass rush with Star and Trent. They still need an LB or 2, but it will come down to the OP’s question.