McDermott: NFL is a “drop-back league”

19 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I've only seen snatches here and there of his play, but while he certainly can take off and run, the offense at Louisville was more conventional than most college offenses.  Lamar Jackson is a work in progress,  but I think it is inaccurate to say he can't drop back and pass, and be good at it.

:D

I have felt since the signing of McCarron it is completely obvious they want a drop back passer. Most of the time you don't want to completely change the game plan with your backup in case of injury. You generally want backup QBs who run the same style of offense. Having Peterman and McCarron says to me that it will be Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Rudolph and maybe Mayfield. No Lamar Jackson I think they have had their fill of running QBs and it took us to a point. 

39 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I've only seen snatches here and there of his play, but while he certainly can take off and run, the offense at Louisville was more conventional than most college offenses.  Lamar Jackson is a work in progress,  but I think it is inaccurate to say he can't drop back and pass, and be good at it.

This is correct.  Jackson is a drop-back QB with exceptional athleticism when the play breaks down.

Really, the only reason the Bills should avoid Jackson is that Bills fans seem to be getting dumber and will give the guy zero benefit of the doubt because they assume he must be like Tyrod all over again.  He'll have a tough time succeeding here unless he goes full Watson right out of the gate.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This is correct.  Jackson is a drop-back QB with exceptional athleticism when the play breaks down.

Really, the only reason the Bills should avoid Jackson is that Bills fans seem to be getting dumber and will give the guy zero benefit of the doubt because they assume he must be like Tyrod all over again.  He'll have a tough time succeeding here unless he goes full Watson right out of the gate.

Beane and McD don't give two poops what fans think when it comes to their player evaluations, they made that abundantly clear.

1 hour ago, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

Why would McDermott go out of his way to intentionally state it is a drop back league. To me this only further confirms that Lamar Jackson is a real possibility. They are putting this narrative out there to "distance"  themselves from Lamar in hopes that he falls to them 

Sometimes I think coaches and GMs at this time of year will say anything they want (true or not) because they know everything that comes out of their mouth will be taken with a grain of salt.

McD just might be telling the truth.  

13 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Drop back and throw immediately" not play sandlot football is what I think. 

I think this is the case as well.   Stay in the pocket and read the field in an efficient manner.  Not hold the ball for three seconds and start running around until someone comes open.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

The only guy I can't see the Bills being interested in is Lamar Jackson.

His game is almost identical to Tyrod Taylor's.  He's definitely got a stronger arm, and is slower as a runner.  But their styles are the same.

Jackson's abilities will be enhanced by a creative Offensive Coordinator, who is willing to incorporate lots of roll-outs, the occasional read-option and some designed QB runs.  That was everything we tried to move away from last year.

Tyrod Taylor can't sniff Lamar Jackson's jockstrap in any facet.

The only reason Jackson would not be considered by the Bills is if they do not feel his accuracy issues are correctable.  When you watch the tape on Jackson, you can see that he looks to throw when it is a passing play, even when the play breaks down.  Having the athleticism to be able to extend plays is an added bonus that makes Jackson that much more appealing.  

21 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I think fans and media are going to be brutal on anyone they draft at QB, just wait until the guy who many think will be “the savior” throws a bad INT on a rookie mistake.

3 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

The target is Josh Allen always was and always will be. 

Agree, with Darnold being the consolation prize.  However, it looks less and less likely that either will be available for the Bills.  In this case, Jackson could be an interesting consolation prize at 12.

Edited by richardb1952

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think you better add Allen to that list.   I truly believe they have Rosen and Allen ahead of Darnold.  

Allen has an accuracy problem though...he is a "drop back and spray" type of QB. Not saying that we shouldn't draft him..we just shouldn't mortgage our future for him.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Beane has been saying this for awhile now.

I don't see Jackson on their radar at all.  I think they really want Rosen or Darnold and that's the only 2 that I believe they're willing to package a deal for.

From Beane's earlier descriptions now to McDermott's.  I wouldn't rule out Allen.

32 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It'll be okay Coach!! There are only a handful of dummies. The multitude of BillsMafia will welcome the talented rookie and his family!!

11 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think fans and media are going to be brutal on anyone they draft at QB, just wait until the guy who many think will be “the savior” throws a bad INT on a rookie mistake.

If that's the case Josh Allen and Mason Rudolph doesn't stand a chance!!

It would be intriguing to find out how this team ranks the qbs. A lot of analysts believe that Rosen is their top ranked qb. Many even believe that Allen is the qb the Bills are actually targeting. What I would find most fascinating is how Mayfield and Jackson are ranked in their board? I just don't know and I find that to be irksome and challenging. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It would be intriguing to find out how this team ranks the qbs. A lot of analysts believe that Rosen is their top ranked qb. Many even believe that Allen is the qb the Bills are actually targeting. What I would find most fascinating is how Mayfield and Jackson are ranked in their board? I just don't know and I find that to be irksome and challenging. 

And a lot of people think that the Bills regard Darnold as the surefire best QB of the lot. 

1 hour ago, xRUSHx said:

A big pocket QB, exactly what this team needs as a starter. Sounds like a big no to Jackson being drafted IMO and I am 100% supportive of the big pocket QB that will stand in the pocket and throw over the OMG I have to run Tyrod.

I don't disagree, but sometimes you gotta work with what you can get.

I wanted a pickup truck recently, but they cost a ton.

I wound up buying a lightly used Honda CR-V for $15k that gets 33hwy mpg, AWD, and enough cargo room and towing for 90% of my needs, instead of $28-33k for a lightly used 4dr pick-up truck that gets 20mpg.

I would have preferred the truck, but it wasn't in my budget.

Hopefully a good pocket QB is on ours.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
47 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Or he has real trouble completing out routes 10 yards down the field and seems to make a lot of short passes tougher to catch than they have to be.  Jackson is a talented QB but your analysis basically says he is a can't miss prospect who does not have any questions about his accuracy, and that is simply false.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

Just now, dave mcbride said:

And a lot of people think that the Bills regard Darnold as the surefire best QB of the lot. 

No doubt that he would be either at the  top or near the top of their ranking. Most people believe that he is going to be the first qb taken in this draft. My sense is that there are three or maybe four qbs that they think are worth moving up. The next question is if the Bills stay pat are the next qbs on their board worth taking at the 12th spot? It's also going to be interested to see if any of the top four ranked qbs slide. If I had to guess I would say it would be Mayfield. From a Bills fan standpoint this is going to be a fascinating draft. If only the Bills would have drafted either Watson or Mahomes last year this draft would have a completely different orientation to it. 

28 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Except, ya know, success at the NFL level.

Yes. Lamar Jackson should've petitioned the NCAA and forced his way into the league earlier.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I can see that but also Beane specifically mentioned accuracy is important and that's where Allen is very inconsistent with.

He's also not a traditional QB like Beane and McDermott have been talking about. Like Mahomes, Allen first move is to bail out of the pocket. He does it all the time and it's maddening.

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty

4 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Yes. Lamar Jackson should've petitioned the NCAA and forced his way into the league earlier.

He's also not a traditional QB like Beane and McDermott have been talking about. Like Mahomes, Allen first move is to bail out of the pocket. He does it all the time and it's maddening.

Allen to Buffalo would ruin my draft night.  I eventually would learn to accept it because I'll pull for anyone on the Bills but it would take me awhile.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Unless he believes Jackson can be a drop back guy. He can say what he wants and we can "try" to figure it out...but even when he says what he's thinking, we have no clue what he's thinking.

The only "drop backing" that Jackson is going to do is dropping back in the draft to the 2nd round.