McDermott: NFL is a “drop-back league”

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I still believe the Bills want Rosen.  Have all offseason.  I do think they like Allen some as well though.  

I am just going by Spidey sense and mine could be way off.  I think they like Darnold and Allen.  I hope they like Rosen and Mayfield, as well.  

I'm starting to feel we might get locked out of a trade-up.  Pretty sure the 2019 1st will be necessary if anything is pulled off.

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I am just going by Spidey sense and mine could be way off.  I think they like Darnold and Allen.  I hope they like Rosen and Mayfield, as well.  

I'm starting to feel we might get locked out of a trade-up.  Pretty sure the 2019 1st will be necessary if anything is pulled off.

Mine is spidey sense too... but I don't think they like Darnold.  He is too much of a gunslinger and he takes way more chances with the football than the other guys in this class and I don't think Beane and McDermott really value that.  He is much better than Allen in my opinion and much more accurate but he more than any other in this class attempts throws that he shouldn't attempt. I think one of the things they will like about Josh Rosen is his throwing the ball away.  

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Mine is spidey sense too... but I don't think they like Darnold.  He is too much of a gunslinger and he takes way more chances with the football than the other guys in this class and I don't think Beane and McDermott really value that.  He is much better than Allen in my opinion and much more accurate but he more than any other in this class attempts throws that he shouldn't attempt. I think one of the things they will like about Josh Rosen is his throwing the ball away.  

Rosen makes sense to me.  I just hope he falls a bit, because I am no longer confident we can get into the top four.

2 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

A big pocket QB, exactly what this team needs as a starter. Sounds like a big no to Jackson being drafted IMO and I am 100% supportive of the big pocket QB that will stand in the pocket and throw over the OMG I have to run Tyrod.

I am going to laugh so hard and think of you when we take Lamar Jackson at 12

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Smokescreen or can we start narrowing down the options here for real...

I think it is legit. They want a QB who can throw the football consistently and carry you to wins on the strength of his arm when needed. We haven't had one of those in a long time. That is why Tyrod is no longer here. They aren't looking for a solid game manager. They aren't looking for a RB who happens to line up at QB. They want a quarterback. If he so happens to be a bit mobile? Fine, but he has to be a legit QB first and foremost. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Not according to Blokes.

Fortunately enough for me, I think think for my self and don't need someone else to predicate my assessments.

I have a lot of respect for Blokes, but doesn't mean I have to agree with that individual.

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

I think it is legit. They want a QB who can throw the football consistently and carry you to wins on the strength of his arm when needed. We haven't had one of those in a long time. That is why Tyrod is no longer here. They aren't looking for a solid game manager. They aren't looking for a RB who happens to line up at QB. They want a quarterback. If he so happens to be a bit mobile? Fine, but he has to be a legit QB first and foremost. 

To me it speaks to the whole "we made Tyrod be a QB" that we heard from various defensive opponents. They all say the same thing, turn the dual threat into a QB and basically we saw sub 70 yard passing games with 0TDs/2INTs... 

They need a QB who can obviously extend plays but more importantly can win the game through the air, the way the modern game is played.

• Like (+1) 1

Every qb has to win in the pocket.  If they draft Jackson or Allen they are obviously comfortable with their accuracy and ability inside the pocket.  I dont know which way they are going to go.  I think the cost of moving up to 2 is becoming too steep.  I expect Buffalo to move up but where and for who is the queations.

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

Fortunately enough for me, I think think for my self and don't need someone else to predicate my assessments.

I have a lot of respect for Blokes, but doesn't mean I have to agree with that individual.

Technically, I didn't say much about Lamar. I just pointed out that the NFL is a shotgun-heavy league, especially when passing.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I still believe the Bills want Rosen.  Have all offseason.  I do think they like Allen some as well though.  

I can see trading up near the top for Rosen, Darnold and maybe Mayfield.  I think it would be too risky to trade 12 and more than 53 for Allen.  I know that there are significant mitigating factors and that he has some great tools and size, but his stats are worse than Tyrod’s (including passing yards) and some games were truly terrible.  That has to at least be considered.

4 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Technically, I didn't say much about Lamar. I just pointed out that the NFL is a shotgun-heavy league, especially when passing.

You know who operates well out of the Shotgun and completed 70% of his passes? Baker Mayfield :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I've only seen snatches here and there of his play, but while he certainly can take off and run, the offense at Louisville was more conventional than most college offenses.  Lamar Jackson is a work in progress,  but I think it is inaccurate to say he can't drop back and pass, and be good at it.

Beane does not want a QB that plays from the sandlot, he wants a guy who on 3rd down stands in the pocket and delivers the ball, He also is concerned with running QBs and this hits they take. If you read what Beane looks for in a QB - it is not Jackson at ll...Search the forum this has already been discussed...

2 hours ago, eball said:

Wait, are people interpreting quotes from GMs and HCs prior to the draft again?

I'd call you all morons but that wouldn't be nice.

Go back to Beane's interviews when he was hired last May, he was pretty specific that finding a franchise QB is a top priority and what he looks for in a QB. These quotes actually line up pretty well with it...

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

It would be intriguing to find out how this team ranks the qbs. A lot of analysts believe that Rosen is their top ranked qb. Many even believe that Allen is the qb the Bills are actually targeting. What I would find most fascinating is how Mayfield and Jackson are ranked in their board? I just don't know and I find that to be irksome and challenging. 

Darnold, Allen, Rosen and even Mayfield have to be up there. I'm curious as to how the have Rudolph & Jackson ranked...Rudolph seems to check most of Beane's boxes, however Jackson is a great athlete. I would love to be able to hear what here thinking is if it came down between those 2....

3 hours ago, jr1 said:

Bortles had 88 rushing yards against the Bills

I'm not sure I get your point. If you're saying that Blake Bortles proves that this is not a drop back league then that would be some kind of special.

Try using a wider sample of data and I think you'll find the results enlightening.

10 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Beane does not want a QB that plays from the sandlot, he wants a guy who on 3rd down stands in the pocket and delivers the ball, He also is concerned with running QBs and this hits they take. If you read what Beane looks for in a QB - it is not Jackson at ll...Search the forum this has already been discussed...

Go back to Beane's interviews when he was hired last May, he was pretty specific that finding a franchise QB is a top priority and what he looks for in a QB. These quotes actually line up pretty well with it...

I find it interesting how some of you ignore everything in the media that doesnt fit what you want and its smoke but latch onto every little thing that DOES fit what you want......is pretty funny