McDermott: NFL is a “drop-back league”

56 minutes ago, Stokes84 said:

Well, I guess we shouldn't even bother drafting a QB, since none of them have had success at the NFL level.  What a comment...

When someone says, "Tyrod has nothing on Lamar Jackson..." and I reply with, "Tyrod has proven he can be successful in the NFL", you've already lost the argument.  So you have to resort to these type of responses.

You can't rebut the truth.

1 hour ago, Stokes84 said:

Tyrod Taylor can't sniff Lamar Jackson's jockstrap in any facet.

Why would Tyrod ever want to do that? 

Tyrod's gone. Some are happy some are sad. The guy played hard for this team and helped win a bunch of games. I'm getting very bored by all the negativity regarding T Mobile. He's gone, you can be happy. Let's move on and show some respect.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I find it interesting how some of you ignore everything in the media that doesnt fit what you want and its smoke but latch onto every little thing that DOES fit what you want......is pretty funny

Isn't it just commenting on preferences? This isn't a straight news board. Everyone has their wants and Hope's. For everyone commenting on that manner there is someone doing the complete opposite. No one is right until Beane says they are... and even then we know.. but we dont KNOW for ANOTHER couple years.

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I find it interesting how some of you ignore everything in the media that doesnt fit what you want and its smoke but latch onto every little thing that DOES fit what you want......is pretty funny

Such as? Please tell me/the rest of us how Jackson fits into what Beane is looking for, especially when compared against the other QBs...I'm not being a dick either. I seriously don't see it...

I mean Beane was fairly specific. He does have experience with Cam in the CAR front office and from the Washington post last year (  know beane was here, but this wasn't a cooked up plan that happened right before Beane left either).

One of the absolute biggest, and one that gets swept under the rug because of Newton’s obvious drop in passing stats, is their quarterback being used as a runner. On designed runs for the quarterback that weren’t kneels or sneaks in 2015, Newton averaged 5.5 yards per carry (on 74 attempts) and scored eight touchdowns. In 2016, those designed runs netted the Panthers only 4.5 yards per carry (66 attempts) and five touchdowns. In 2017, he has only four carries for seven yards through three weeks. Put simply, the Panthers aren’t running with Cam Newton any more. And when they do, defenses have caught up schematically. They are no longer surprised when Jonathan Stewart turns into a lead blocker for Newton and aren’t leaving themselves a man short to stop the run.

With added defenders keen on paying attention to the run, though, it should theoretically leave Newton with more room to work in the passing game. This is the part of Newton’s regression that is easy to see in the box score. His completion percentage dropped 6.9 points from 2015 (59.8) to 2016 (52.9), and his adjusted completion percentage – which adds in drops and takes out throwaways, spikes, batted passes and passes where the QB was hit in his throwing motion – hasn’t fared any better. He went from 71.5 percent in 2015 to 65.4 percent, dead last in the NFL, in 2016.  

Somewhere in the Panthers’ organization, they made a conscious effort to address that this offseason. With so many incomplete passes, it was difficult for the Panthers to sustain drives. So they drafted underneath passing threats in Christian McCaffrey and Curtis Samuel, and Newton currently has the second-highest completion percentage of his career (61.4).  

The switch hasn’t fixed the problem, though — it’s actually made it worse. Newton’s average depth of target has dropped from 10.9 and 11.0 in 2015 and 2016 (two of the highest figures in the league) to 8.4 this year. And those underneath throws he’s now making were actually his weakest throws a season ago. In terms of true accuracy (putting the ball on a receiver’s frame), Newton was the third-most-inaccurate screen thrower, second-most-inaccurate when asked to lead a receiver horizontally across the field and second-most-inaccurate on throws one to five yards down the field in 2016. The offense now asks him to do more of that. Accuracy isn’t a static quantity, though; Newton doesn’t struggle everywhere. In fact, he was the second-most-accurate quarterback in the NFL when aiming at stationary or slowly moving receivers exploiting a hole in zone coverage down the field. 

1 minute ago, gobills1212 said:

Isn't it just commenting on preferences? This isn't a straight news board. Everyone has their wants and Hope's. For everyone commenting on that manner there is someone doing the complete opposite. No one is right until Beane says they are... and even then we know.. but we dont KNOW for ANOTHER couple years.

What you say is true

Its just interesting the need to tear down a prospect because of personal preferences.

"if we dont get XXX then the draft was a disaster"  NO IT WASNT.....there are a multitude of reasons why we may not end up getting XXX player.....ITS THE DRAFT

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

Such as? Please tell me/the rest of us how Jackson fits into what Beane is looking for, especially when compared against the other QBs...I'm not being a dick either. I seriously don't see it...

I mean Beane was fairly specific. He does have experience with Cam in the CAR front office and from the Washington post last year (  know beane was here, but this wasn't a cooked up plan that happened right before Beane left either).

One of the absolute biggest, and one that gets swept under the rug because of Newton’s obvious drop in passing stats, is their quarterback being used as a runner. On designed runs for the quarterback that weren’t kneels or sneaks in 2015, Newton averaged 5.5 yards per carry (on 74 attempts) and scored eight touchdowns. In 2016, those designed runs netted the Panthers only 4.5 yards per carry (66 attempts) and five touchdowns. In 2017, he has only four carries for seven yards through three weeks. Put simply, the Panthers aren’t running with Cam Newton any more. And when they do, defenses have caught up schematically. They are no longer surprised when Jonathan Stewart turns into a lead blocker for Newton and aren’t leaving themselves a man short to stop the run.

With added defenders keen on paying attention to the run, though, it should theoretically leave Newton with more room to work in the passing game. This is the part of Newton’s regression that is easy to see in the box score. His completion percentage dropped 6.9 points from 2015 (59.8) to 2016 (52.9), and his adjusted completion percentage – which adds in drops and takes out throwaways, spikes, batted passes and passes where the QB was hit in his throwing motion – hasn’t fared any better. He went from 71.5 percent in 2015 to 65.4 percent, dead last in the NFL, in 2016.  

Somewhere in the Panthers’ organization, they made a conscious effort to address that this offseason. With so many incomplete passes, it was difficult for the Panthers to sustain drives. So they drafted underneath passing threats in Christian McCaffrey and Curtis Samuel, and Newton currently has the second-highest completion percentage of his career (61.4).  

The switch hasn’t fixed the problem, though — it’s actually made it worse. Newton’s average depth of target has dropped from 10.9 and 11.0 in 2015 and 2016 (two of the highest figures in the league) to 8.4 this year. And those underneath throws he’s now making were actually his weakest throws a season ago. In terms of true accuracy (putting the ball on a receiver’s frame), Newton was the third-most-inaccurate screen thrower, second-most-inaccurate when asked to lead a receiver horizontally across the field and second-most-inaccurate on throws one to five yards down the field in 2016. The offense now asks him to do more of that. Accuracy isn’t a static quantity, though; Newton doesn’t struggle everywhere. In fact, he was the second-most-accurate quarterback in the NFL when aiming at stationary or slowly moving receivers exploiting a hole in zone coverage down the field. 

And you think "fairly specific" talk actually means something before the draft?   That is the whole point he said what you wanted to hear.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

What you say is true

Its just interesting the need to tear down a prospect because of personal preferences.

"if we dont get XXX then the draft was a disaster"  NO IT WASNT.....there are a multitude of reasons why we may not end up getting XXX player.....ITS THE DRAFT

I get it.. I guess it just comes w the territory. It can totally go too far, but I think that's when it hits a personal level and it's generally snuffed out pretty quick. It's an exciting time with a lot of very excited fans. Potential QB years always are. Hopefully we have fun and no panties get bunched in the mean time!

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Can't a shotgun be considered a drop back? Shotgun you would have a 1-3 steps while under center it's 3-7?

It can be, it depends on how you look at it. If I hear drop back in regards to the QB, I certainly think more about the Norv Turner classical under center, 5/7 step drop scheme. That's just me though.

If Sean actually said that it's a passing league, that would remove the ambiguity of the statement. To each their own, I guess.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Smokescreen or can we start narrowing down the options here for real...

There is nothing anyone can take from any GM and Coach as an indicator of their draft plans.  There really is no reason to hang on every word our of everyones mouth right now.  None of these guys are out here trying to cryptically tell you their draft board.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

3 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

I get it.. I guess it just comes w the territory. It can totally go too far, but I think that's when it hits a personal level and it's generally snuffed out pretty quick. It's an exciting time with a lot of very excited fans. Potential QB years always are. Hopefully we have fun and no panties get bunched in the mean time!

Absolutely zero chance of no panties getting bunched......we have fans on this board that cant get away from stereotypes to save their lives.

7 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

It can be, it depends on how you look at it. If I hear drop back in regards to the QB, I certainly think more about the Norv Turner classical under center, 5/7 step drop scheme. That's just me though.

If Sean actually said that it's a passing league, that would remove the ambiguity of the statement. To each their own, I guess.

Are you okay that I look at it is drop back from either the gun or under center?  I used to never ask for permission and now I do after being married....its ingrained in me now.

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you okay that I look at it is drop back from either the gun or under center?  I used to never ask for permission and now I do after being married....its ingrained in me now.

We all need to be singing from the same hymn sheet. As long as we understand each other, you can call it anything you like.

I've also seen your wife. You're smart not to piss her off, you'll not do better.

3 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

We all need to be singing from the same hymn sheet. As long as we understand each other, you can call it anything you like.

I've also seen your wife. You're smart not to piss her off, you'll not do better.

I'm not on FB very often so I'm not sure if we're even connected as friends on there....

If we're not, can we become friends?

32 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is correct.  McD is wrong.  Hasn't been a drop back league for a long time.

He might be referring to some data that suggests pass plays from under center are more productive than plays from shotgun in terms of completion percentage and yards/attempt.