McDermott: NFL is a “drop-back league”

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Smokescreen or can we start narrowing down the options here for real...

You are right in that its prime smokescreen season... BUT, they just traded their started who DID NOT fit this mold.. it would be an excellent comment to throw everyone off the jackson trail but I tend to think he means this if for no other reason that the above..

1 minute ago, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

Why would McDermott go out of his way to intentionally state it is a drop back league. To me this only further confirms that Lamar Jackson is a real possibility. They are putting this narrative out there in hopes that it causes Lamar to fall to later in the round

God help this team if he's the QB they draft.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

Why would McDermott go out of his way to intentionally state it is a drop back league. To me this only further confirms that Lamar Jackson is a real possibility. They are putting this narrative out there in hopes that it causes Lamar to fall to later in the round

I'm not sure he went out of his way...he's being asked questions and has to say something. 

The game for these guys is saying something, without actually saying anything at all. Not sure McD is the type to float smokescreens. 

31 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Smokescreen or can we start narrowing down the options here for real...

Unless he believes Jackson can be a drop back guy. He can say what he wants and we can "try" to figure it out...but even when he says what he's thinking, we have no clue what he's thinking.

6 minutes ago, arcane said:

Not really, some have done it their whole college career, and some literally never did it more than a couple times, and it showed with their combine footwork. If he's telling the truth then you could definitely eliminate some names from contention.

this is not an argument that the QBs who haven't can't be good, btw.

If you take "drop-back" to mean from under-center, which it seems like you are, none of this year's QB crop are particularly experienced there. Rosen and Allen probably took snaps under-center more than anyone else, and even with them, we're talking roughly 20% of their snaps.

But McDermott didn't even really say anything. He basically said it's a passing league (which is a fact) and that the ability to throw is important (which nobody would ever disagree with). And he didn't even say that it's the most important or that it's a priority or anything; he just said it's important.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Next sentence: Lamar Jackson is a great drop-back QB!!

I've only seen snatches here and there of his play, but while he certainly can take off and run, the offense at Louisville was more conventional than most college offenses.  Lamar Jackson is a work in progress,  but I think it is inaccurate to say he can't drop back and pass, and be good at it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TigerJ said:

I've only seen snatches here and there of his play, but while he certainly can take off and run, the offense at Louisville was more conventional than most college offenses.  Lamar Jackson is a work in progress,  but I think it is inaccurate to say he can't drop back and pass, and be good at it.

This team can't afford another "work in progress" QB.

3 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Mason Rudolph also isnt a drop back passer, or at least hasnt had to so far

Neither is Mayfield, the list is getting shorter and shorter.  This is a nonsense statement but I guess a coach can flub from time to time when he's asked all this bull ****.  Yes, a QB has to drop back to pass, I mean they have drops even in shotgun but it's a smaller distance, so what is the coach actually saying?  Nothing really.

21 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The only guy I can't see the Bills being interested in is Lamar Jackson.

His game is almost identical to Tyrod Taylor's.  He's definitely got a stronger arm, and is slower as a runner.  But their styles are the same.

Jackson's abilities will be enhanced by a creative Offensive Coordinator, who is willing to incorporate lots of roll-outs, the occasional read-option and some designed QB runs.  That was everything we tried to move away from last year.

I’m not arguing that they should draft Jackson, but while he has some work to do as a passer, he threw more NFL type throws in college than Tyrod ever pulled the trigger on.  I also think that Jackson may even be faster than Taylor and I strongly believe that Jackis more elusive as a runner.

It's a drop back league.  This does not preclude that an athletic QB will not be taken.  All it says is whoever we get must be able to drop back and make plays from the pocket.  If he can make plays with his feet, that's an added bonus.  I read it as McD saying words but not saying anything.

Even Josh Rosen is a work in progress to some extent.  I'm sure the top couple of QBs in the draft will play sooner rather than later in the NFL, but it would be shocking if every one of them didn't have some growing pains.  I'm of the opinion that even if they want to, Buffalo is not going to have the opportunity to get into the top 3 of this draft, so unless they can trade for an experienced starter in the league (which would be impossible, they aren't going to get a QB who isn't a work in progress.  If your comparison is Deshaun Watson, there is a chance that Lamar Jackson could start in 2019 and be effective, but as Watson is still learning how to be an NFL QB, so will Jackson need some time to grow and learn.  I think Buffalo's QB situation is actually better than Houston's was at the start of the last season.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

This team can't afford another "work in progress" QB.

1 minute ago, bouds said:

Neither is Mayfield, the list is getting shorter and shorter.  This is a nonsense statement but I guess a coach can flub from time to time when he's asked all this bull ****.  Yes, a QB has to drop back to pass, I mean they have drops even in shotgun but it's a smaller distance, so what is the coach actually saying?  Nothing really.

Oh I agree, just having some fun speculating as this next month is going to go slow, so might as well do something to pass the time

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

If you take "drop-back" to mean from under-center, which it seems like you are, none of this year's QB crop are particularly experienced there. Rosen and Allen probably took snaps under-center more than anyone else, and even with them, we're talking roughly 20% of their snaps.

But McDermott didn't even really say anything. He basically said it's a passing league (which is a fact) and that the ability to throw is important (which nobody would ever disagree with). And he didn't even say that it's the most important or that it's a priority or anything; he just said it's important.

Not true of Allen.  Allen has more under center experience than all the top guys.  He graded out at roughly 32 to 33% of his snaps under center.

2 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Even Josh Rosen is a work in progress to some extent.  I'm sure the top couple of QBs in the draft will play sooner rather than later in the NFL, but it would be shocking if every one of them didn't have some growing pains.  I'm of the opinion that even if they want to, Buffalo is not going to have the opportunity to get into the top 3 of this draft, so unless they can trade for an experienced starter in the league (which would be impossible, they aren't going to get a QB who isn't a work in progress.  If your comparison is Deshaun Watson, there is a chance that Lamar Jackson could start in 2019 and be effective, but as Watson is still learning how to be an NFL QB, so will Jackson need some time to grow and learn.  I think Buffalo's QB situation is actually better than Houston's was at the start of the last season.

So, the plan is to suffer this season, while watching McCarron and Peterman, and then wait until 2019 and hope and pray that Jackson understands how to be an NFL QB by then?

Edited by Buffalo Bills Detective

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

So, the plan is to suffer this season, while watching McCarron and Peterman, and then wait until 2019 and hope and pray that Jackson understands how to be an NFL QB by then?

This team went 17 years without making the playoffs. Why are we suddenly in a rush to try to be a fringe playoff team? In all likelihood, this team is going to be pretty bad regardless of who the QB is next season; if the Bills believe that Lamar can become a great QB, waiting one more season to unleash him really isn't that big of a deal.