McDermott: NFL is a “drop-back league”

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not on FB very often so I'm not sure if we're even connected as friends on there....

If we're not, can we become friends?

We were friends on FB until I deleted my account. I'm so glad you don't remember.

Makes the idea of knowing what your wife looks like entirely more sinister.

28 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Why would Tyrod ever want to do that? 

Tyrod's gone. Some are happy some are sad. The guy played hard for this team and helped win a bunch of games. I'm getting very bored by all the negativity regarding T Mobile. He's gone, you can be happy. Let's move on and show some respect.

It's really not "negativity" towards Tyrod.  Lamar Jackson is one of the most gifted and talented college QBs ever.

46 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Beane does not want a QB that plays from the sandlot, he wants a guy who on 3rd down stands in the pocket and delivers the ball, He also is concerned with running QBs and this hits they take. If you read what Beane looks for in a QB - it is not Jackson at ll...Search the forum this has already been discussed...

Go back to Beane's interviews when he was hired last May, he was pretty specific that finding a franchise QB is a top priority and what he looks for in a QB. These quotes actually line up pretty well with it...

Darnold, Allen, Rosen and even Mayfield have to be up there. I'm curious as to how the have Rudolph & Jackson ranked...Rudolph seems to check most of Beane's boxes, however Jackson is a great athlete. I would love to be able to hear what here thinking is if it came down between those 2....

He said this is what he looks for?  The only NFL QB he has been associated, really, is Cam Newton.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Smokescreen or can we start narrowing down the options here for real...

Surprisingly, I do not think it is a smokescreen.  Beane and McD have been consistent with this belief and thought process since they arrived in Buffalo.  And, I like their thought process on the stereotypical QB.

• Like (+1) 2

If Allen is indeed their target, I am done with wanting them to trade up.  If they want Allen, and he is there at 12, fine.  But I am not trading a ton of picks, including next year's first, for a guy that I think has an 80% chance to bust. 

I have been saying that Allen does have all the tools you could ask for, but he panics, bails out of the pocket way too early, and is very inaccurate.  I think he has a tough time reading defenses and is slow to process things.  We just got rid of a QB with these same issues.  That is not somebody I am willing to spend 5 high picks on.  If he falls and you want to try it out at 12, I guess I will live with it.  But there is no way I will support spending everything to go get that guy.

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder if he means a guy that comes from under center or a guy that can make plays from the pocket. I can't imagine formation is really all that important, just that the guy they pick can make plays from the pocket without having to run in circles every pass play before throwing a hideously inaccurate ball.

23 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There is nothing anyone can take from any GM and Coach as an indicator of their draft plans.  There really is no reason to hang on every word our of everyones mouth right now.  None of these guys are out here trying to cryptically tell you their draft board.  

I think that is McD's opinion on the QB.  The potential smokescreen may be Jackson.  His comment suggests he wants a traditional QB.  Maybe the smokescreen is he consider Jackson capable of being a traditional QB?  Jackson did transition well last year.

3 hours ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I have felt since the signing of McCarron it is completely obvious they want a drop back passer. Most of the time you don't want to completely change the game plan with your backup in case of injury. You generally want backup QBs who run the same style of offense. Having Peterman and McCarron says to me that it will be Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Rudolph and maybe Mayfield. No Lamar Jackson I think they have had their fill of running QBs and it took us to a point. 

Wow!    The invaluable Peterman is now dictating what offense the Bills are going to build around??      smh...

3 minutes ago, Manther said:

I think that is McD's opinion on the QB.  The potential smokescreen may be Jackson.  His comment suggests he wants a traditional QB.  Maybe the smokescreen is he consider Jackson capable of being a traditional QB?  Jackson did transition well last year.

My point exactly...nothing he said means anything other than being obvious about what an NFL QB needs to be able to do.  It literally says nothing about their opinion on Lamar's ability to be that or not.  I am in the camp that thinks Lamar is more comparable to Russell and even young Watson than he is to TT.  If anyone thinks Lamar can operate as a drop back passer in the vein of Russell or even Watson's limited games last year, he will be high on their draft board.

Thats why I said its worthless to try and use every soundbite by GM's, Coaches, etc right now to somehow back engineer the teams draft boards.  No one is tipping their hat to their draft board, and if they do "intentionally" leak something its for a specific purpose, usually a smoke screen.  

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My point exactly...nothing he said means anything other than being obvious about what an NFL QB needs to be able to do.  It literally says nothing about their opinion on Lamar's ability to be that or not.  I am in the camp that thinks Lamar is more comparable to Russell and even young Watson than he is to TT.  If anyone thinks Lamar can operate as a drop back passer in the vein of Russell or even Watson's limited games last year, he will be high on their draft board.

Thats why I said its worthless to try and use every soundbite by GM's, Coaches, etc right now to somehow back engineer the teams draft boards.  No one is tipping their hat to their draft board, and if they do "intentionally" leak something its for a specific purpose, usually a smoke screen.  

Agreed.  I am indifferent on Jackson.  If we pick him I am fine with it.  It is NOT MY choice.  But, if we pick him I will trust the process.

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m not arguing that they should draft Jackson, but while he has some work to do as a passer, he threw more NFL type throws in college than Tyrod ever pulled the trigger on.  I also think that Jackson may even be faster than Taylor and I strongly believe that Jackis more elusive as a runner.

From what I can tell, Lamar Jackson has a stronger arm.  He is also willing to take more chances with the ball, where Tyrod Taylor was very conservative and only throws when a guy was wide open.  Jackson may appear faster and more elusive against college competition, but it's hard to say if he will be better in that area against NFL defenses.  Taylor is probably most mobile QB in the league currently.

Overall, their styles are very similar.

Does this mean that Jackson will be a Taylor clone?  Absolutely not.

Does this mean that Jackson will never be better than Taylor?  Absolutely not.

But I absolutely DO believe that style will play a factor (and should play a factor) in who we draft.  I realize that we just hired a new offensive coordinator.  But if our coaching staff was unwilling to adapt to Taylor's unique talents, and instead decided to force him into being a typical pocket passer - then why does anyone think they would adapt to Jackson's unique style?  Guys like Taylor and Jackson need the freedom to use their legs.  They need to be used on designed roll-outs.  They need to have read-option incorporated.  They need to have designed runs.  Our coaching staff already has a history of being unwilling to do this.

51 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

And you think "fairly specific" talk actually means something before the draft?   That is the whole point he said what you wanted to hear.

John, this was from May 2017 right after he was hired...I would say that is pretty far away from this year's draft. He has actually been fairly consistent with what he says now and has yet to contradict himself...I would say this pretty good insight into his thinking...

Edited by Reed83HOF

16 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Wow!    The invaluable Peterman is now dictating what offense the Bills are going to build around??      smh...

I think the two QBs they have brought in do show the style that they prefer. They would probably just like to draft someone who is much better version. 

• Like (+1) 2