McDermott: NFL is a “drop-back league”

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He said this is what he looks for?  The only NFL QB he has been associated, really, is Cam Newton.

Weo here are a few things he said when he was hired last year both are from May 2017:

From article #1

To be in this league, whether its Tyrod or name the quarterback, you have to make plays consistently from the pocket. The quarterbacks that are succeeding year after year after year consistently make plays from the pocket. That's what, whoever the franchise quarterback is going to be, that's what he'll have to do."

"Obviously, you draw them up, from a physical standpoint, they look like Cam (Newton)," Beane said. "But how many are there like that? You want a guy, the stature, the height, you know, they're standing over, they're not worried about linemen in their face. It gives them the vision and all that. Arm strength. But the one thing that people I think miss a little bit when they're watching, you know, the college game schematically has just been so dummied down that these guys know before the ball's snapped right where they're going. There's no progressions. There's no audibiling. That's the challenge that the college guys have, and it's brutal. And these quarterbacks that are getting drafted high that have never taken a snap from center, have never called an audible. That's tough. The intangibles are the other thing that you can't necessarily measure from the film. I can turn on the film and watch some things. You obviously want to see quarterbacks live, but what's this guy's makeup? What's his leadership? Do guys rally behind him? 

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/07/buffalo_bills_gm_brandon_beane_describes_what_he_looks_for_in_franchise_quarterb.html

Article #2 

Brandon Beane: You know, you love arm strength. You can't teach arm strength. You can probably improve it a little bit... the accuracy is very important. You know, the guys are not as open in the pros as they are in college, and so, it will show if you've got a guy that's inaccurate from the pocket.

You have to have the leadership qualities. You've got to get guys to follow you. It is a quarterback league, and if you don't have the leadership in the other guys, that's 11 guys on the field -- if they're not following you, it just doesn't work. I've seen quarterbacks that have arm talent. We've known the names in this league -- I'm not going to call them out -- that have all the talent in the world and they've been first-round picks.... but they aren't leaders. You've got to start there. You want to be able to have a passer that can throw from the pocket. It's good to be mobile... we love that. And obviously, Tyrod brings that, and I think Peterman has some things like that. You know, all these guys have some different qualities... there's not one thing, but, at the end of the day, quarterbacks in the NFL must be able to throw from the pocket.

Brandon Beane: Yeah, I mean, calculated risk... whatever you want to call it. There are some times when they are going to have to thread the needle. It's third and long, and it's late in the game, and we've got to get this play, and they're going to put a spy on the quarterback or something like that... he's got to stand in there, trust his reads, trust his progressions... and sling it and make the throw. You have to do that. In college, you see a lot of running quarterbacks that can just make a play with their own. Everything breaks down and it becomes sandlot football, and you do see some plays in the NFL, but the speed is so different here. It takes a special player to do it, and to do it often... and again, the pounding that you take. We saw that in Carolina last year. Cam took more hits last year than he had in the previous years, so, it's a tough league. And again, I'll go back to it: You have to be able to throw from the pocket.

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/what-does-buffalo-bills-gm-brandon-beane-want-at-qb-you-have-to-be-able-to-throw-from-the-pocket

Actually he was associated with Delhomme as well - he has been there quite awhile...

Edited by Reed83HOF

If we want to read into this, I would say it's setting up for why they draft Kyle L. from Richmond at 22, or trade up for Rosen.  

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the two QBs they have brought in do show the style that they prefer. They would probably just like to draft someone who is much better version. 

totally agree.  Although, part of me believes McCarron is going to light it up next year! 

22 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

John, this was from May 2017 right after he was hired...I would say that is pretty far away from this year's draft. He has actually been fairly consistent with what he says now and has yet to contradict himself...I would say this pretty good insight into his thinking...

So should we discount the things that were said about the Athletic QB earlier this year as well?  

Dont see you bringing up that little gem

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Go back to Beane's interviews when he was hired last May, he was pretty specific that finding a franchise QB is a top priority and what he looks for in a QB. These quotes actually line up pretty well with it...

Wait, a GM of an NFL franchise has stated that finding a franchise QB is a top priority?  And he went even further by stating that a big strong QB who can throw the ball from the pocket is a good thing?

Stop the presses!

10 minutes ago, eball said:

Wait, a GM of an NFL franchise has stated that finding a franchise QB is a top priority?  And he went even further by stating that a big strong QB who can throw the ball from the pocket is a good thing?

Stop the presses!

Lol. They want a young Tom Brady. Smart, tall, driven, ultra competitive, gets ball out fast. Knows where he’s going pre-snap. As another poster said, Rosen up top and Lauletta as a fall back seem to fall into the mold.  Darnold really is much more improvisational. 

Mobility is a “nice to have” but not required.  Just my interpretation.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, eball said:

Stop the presses!

Or we can be like you and not listen to anything that was ever said, because it is apparently all smoke in your eyes...If that's the case, why bother posting any opinions or anything on this board...His comments were from May last year and tend to line up with what he is even saying now...

22 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So should we discount the things that were said about the Athletic QB earlier this year as well?  

Dont see you bringing up that little gem

Such as?

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Or we can be like you and not listen to anything that was ever said, because it is apparently all smoke in your eyes...If that's the case, why bother posting any opinions or anything on this board...His comments were from May last year and tend to line up with what he is even saying now...

Such as?

Beane was asked in what he was looking for in a QB......and he said that there needed to be a "good mix" of escapability and the ability to stand in the pocket and throw.

Since Lamar actually does that I would just like to point that out.   Beane is not looking for Drew Bledsoe back there if you take him at his words.

51 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I thought Rudolph never took a snap under center?

Probably not but he "looks" more like drop back passer than Mayfield.

I just feel they are out of the running for Darnold Rosen Allen so I thought that basically eliminates Mayfield and Jackson but leaving Rudolph.

If we trade up for Allen I'm going to be depressed.

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Probably not but he "looks" more like drop back passer than Mayfield.

I just feel they are out of the running for Darnold Rosen Allen so I thought that basically eliminates Mayfield and Jackson but leaving Rudolph.

If we trade up for Allen I'm going to be depressed.

If we draft Rudolph, I am going to be depressed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Beane was asked in what he was looking for in a QB......and he said that there needed to be a "good mix" of escapability and the ability to stand in the pocket and throw.

Since Lamar actually does that I would just like to point that out.   Beane is not looking for Drew Bledsoe back there if you take him at his words.

LOL I don't think anyone is looking for a statue! They do want someone who can move around in the pocket and make a play. I believe (I could very easily be wrong) when you couple escapability and stand in the pocket to throw along with his other statements (about staying in there until the last second when you can't run, not sandlot football, Cam taking a beating etc.), I'm still not sure you get to Lamar - You actually get a lot closer to Allen & Darnold JMO of course...

For me it isn't about the player that excites me, right now, it is actually the game of trying to figure out who fits what we know so far, from past statements, repetitive statements, etc.. It is Lamar personally, he feels to me a little more like the square peg...BY all means we could draft him if he is the highest rated player on our board, but I don't think that necessarily fits what they are looking for. Sometimes you can't get what you want...

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

LOL I don't think anyone is looking for a statue! They do want someone who can move around in the pocket and make a play. I believe (I could very easily be wrong) when you couple escapability and stand in the pocket to throw along with his other statements (about staying in there until the last second when you can't run, not sandlot football, Cam taking a beating etc.), I'm still not sure you get to Lamar - You actually get a lot closer to Allen & Darnold JMO of course...

For me it isn't about the player that excites me, right now, it is actually the game of trying to figure out who fits what we know so far, from past statements, repetitive statements, etc.. It is Lamar personally, he feels to me a little more like the square peg...BY all means we could draft him if he is the highest rated player on our board, but I don't think that necessarily fits what they are looking for. Sometimes you can't get what you want...

Allen and Darnold are closer to what he described.

And we might not get them

Lamar Jackson may be plan B here

The majority of the board spent the better part of the year saying they want OBD to identify a guy and then go get him. They are in position to do just that.

The only way I will be dissapointed is if their exit interview at the draft is a "we tried" but couldn't get where we needed to.

If they get their guy I will support it 100 percent until/if that guy and the process fails us. 

5 hours ago, TOboy said:

Heard those numbers on WGR this morning. Apparently many teams are in the 70% range in terms of percentage of plays out of shotgun. 

What I found really interesting, was the Bills ran 80% of their plays out of the shotgun in 2016. 

Sweet, Mayfield Back On !!

5 hours ago, mjt328 said:

The only guy I can't see the Bills being interested in is Lamar Jackson.

His game is almost identical to Tyrod Taylor's.  He's definitely got a stronger arm, and is slower as a runner.  But their styles are the same.

Jackson's abilities will be enhanced by a creative Offensive Coordinator, who is willing to incorporate lots of roll-outs, the occasional read-option and some designed QB runs.  That was everything we tried to move away from last year.

You've never seen him play.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Sounds like Rudolph at 22

The spread QB that played in a gimmick one read offense? 

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Allen and Darnold are closer to what he described.

And we might not get them

Lamar Jackson may be plan B here

What scares me is it might be Rudolph...In regards to whoever we take I will root like hell for them, until they demonstrate that the suck of course...

It really is a crucial draft for us, if we miss on the QB it will mostly likely be 2020 for our next shot...