Again, bills HAVE called up to browns for first overall

4 minutes ago, cle23 said:

You do know they swapped out the entire FO right?  The previous FO probably would have a price to trade down from 1 because analytics say that is the best option, but football sense says without a QB it doesn't mean much.  

I think they would be open at 4, but not at 1.

“There’s a lot of things I can do at No. 1 and not just get a quarterback,” Dorsey 

I'm just saying looking at history and what the GM for the Browns have said. I don't know why you listen to trade offers if your 100% dead locked on taking a QB at #1. Seems like a pointless avenue to take if his mind was made up. I don't think it is.

Edited by Lfod

2 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Everyone always blames the location in FA, but I firmly believe the lack of a QB is a bigger factor. When Green Bay actually targets a FA, they don’t usually miss, you think guys really want to live in Wisconsin over Dallas?  

Aaron Rogers definitely helps.

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

Haslam still own the team?

Haslam told Dorsey his #1 priority is to find THE QB. No GM is ever going to say they aren't open to a trade, but it would take the world. They can't afford to pass on another franchise guy.

3 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Haslam told Dorsey his #1 priority is to find THE QB. No GM is ever going to say they aren't open to a trade, but it would take the world. They can't afford to pass on another franchise guy.

I agree with you 100%

but really now that I think of it if one team was dumb enough to screw it all up and make the worst choice for their franchise it would be the Browns, right? 

If if I was a fan, and they didn’t take their guy I’d never watch another game. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

3 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Do you have a link to that quote? I never seen it. I believe you, just would like the link. 

1 minute ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I agree with you 100%

but really now that I think of it if one team was dumb enough to screw it all up and make the worst choice for their franchise it would be the Browns, right? 

If if I was a fan, and they didn’t take their guy I’d never watch another game. 

Believe me, I've suffered through the last couple years.  Take a QB at one, and be open at 4.

1 minute ago, Lfod said:

Do you have a link to that quote? I never seen it. I believe you, just would like the link. 

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/12/jimmy_haslam_says_john_dorseys.html

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Believe me, I've suffered through the last couple years.  Take a QB at one, and be open at 4.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/12/jimmy_haslam_says_john_dorseys.html

Thank you. I'll do some thinking on it. I can only offer that the article I posted is more recent then this one. So the GM has said he is open to trade after this article. 

Edited by Lfod

2 hours ago, billspro said:

I don't know why the Browns would trade the first overall pick. They already have too many picks as it is, they are going to have multiple draft picks that don't make the roster. If I am them I am looking to move up in the draft, not down. 

Maybe while everyone else makes 5-6 picks thru out the draft they trade with us and keep trading up and picking in the 1st 5,6,7 times

Imo the best thing that can happen is if Allen, who i think will bust, gets picked by the Browns #1 or #4 overall. That could set off a chain of picks that allows us to stay at 12 and get a QB that drops. Of course another team may jump ahead but i have a hard time seeing it. I think it ends up being Mayfield that drops and i am OK taking him at 12. 

As much as i want to be a believer in Lamar Jackson i have a hard time seeing it. If he is the best available QB at 12 i suppose you take that chance but that'd be a bit of a let down considering all the draft capital Beane has accumulated. That is until he comes in and wins OROY. He is the definition of boom/bust imo. Could be the next Vick. I'm not sure he makes it to 22. 

Mason Rudolph at 12 would hurt. At 22 it'd be a bitter pill to swallow as a fan. I'd trust the process but boy Beane better get it right or he's gone pretty quick. 2nd Round? Sure. 

5 hours ago, ******* said:

Per Benjamin Albright . There was conflicting reports about this but he is 100 percent positive there have been talks to gage the price 

Yes and i bet they called all spots ahead to see the price points... Not really news unless hey moved up.

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Folks SHOULD care about the cost.  None of Darnold, Rosen or Allen carried their college teams to tremendous success, but yet some expect that to be exactly what they'd do with a middling talented team in Buffalo that gave up the majority of its draft to get one of them.

Now, I'm not saying that they might not be good NFL starting QBs, but expecting savior level play is betting on a very long shot.

Darnold did carry a 1-3 Trojans team to win the Rose Bowl his first year and won a PAC 12 Championship last year. I would consider that successful.

3 hours ago, turftoe said:

I think having a great work out in the rain sealed the deal for Cleveland picking Darnold. I don't see them moving out of #1. If the Bills love Darnold way above the others then why would you trade away all of our assets for pick #2? I say let the draft play out.  Maybe Allen or Mayfied fall down to pick #6 or #7. A trade up then would cost a whole lot less.

Thats the most likely possibility.

I think the Bills and Giants both like Rosen. If we are trying to work to #1, it's likely for a player the Browns don't want (Rosen) not one of the two they are deciding between.  If the Browns had pick #3 it might actually have legs, but I can't see them agreeing to trade out of 1, even if it's for a player they don't want and have them risk watching Darnold - Allen go 2 / 3 and leave them with nothing.

This is where the Jets getting pick #3 is crippling.  If I had to bet, I'd say it goes Darnold / Rosen / Allen 1 / 2 / 3 with the Browns / Giants / Jets staying put.  That leaves us likely paying a ransom for #4 to get Baker, or letting things play out.  I do think there's a very slight chance the Giants or Jets don't go QB, but like I said, I think the Bills are trying to jump the Giants for a player the Browns don't want but the Giants do.

It all comes back to the Jets trade for #3.  Missing / losing on that basically killed the "elite" QB prospect plan IMO.  I think there's a slight chance Baker falls and we don't have to pay a ransom to get past Miami, but I think the most likely result is we take either Jackson (or gag, Rudolph) at 12, or we use one of the 2nds / 3rds on a guy like White / Lauletta.

12 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think the Bills and Giants both like Rosen. If we are trying to work to #1, it's likely for a player the Browns don't want (Rosen) not one of the two they are deciding between.  If the Browns had pick #3 it might actually have legs, but I can't see them agreeing to trade out of 1, even if it's for a player they don't want and have them risk watching Darnold - Allen go 2 / 3 and leave them with nothing.

This is where the Jets getting pick #3 is crippling.  If I had to bet, I'd say it goes Darnold / Rosen / Allen 1 / 2 / 3 with the Browns / Giants / Jets staying put.  That leaves us likely paying a ransom for #4 to get Baker, or letting things play out.  I do think there's a very slight chance the Giants or Jets don't go QB, but like I said, I think the Bills are trying to jump the Giants for a player the Browns don't want but the Giants do.

It all comes back to the Jets trade for #3.  Missing / losing on that basically killed the "elite" QB prospect plan IMO.  I think there's a slight chance Baker falls and we don't have to pay a ransom to get past Miami, but I think the most likely result is we take either Jackson (or gag, Rudolph) at 12, or we use one of the 2nds / 3rds on a guy like White / Lauletta.

This is plausible and disgusting, so I'm going to pretend you are wrong.  I should clarify.  I don't hate Jackson, but he's my fifth out of five in the first for qb.  Rudolph I am throwing a brick at my old tellie.

Edited by Dr. Who

48 minutes ago, billspro said:

Darnold did carry a 1-3 Trojans team to win the Rose Bowl his first year and won a PAC 12 Championship last year. I would consider that successful.

How much trouble do you think USC has recruiting?  They won the PAC-12, so had an automatic bid to Rose Bowl (I believe).  Did he truly carry that team or was he part of the team that won.  

To to be clear, I am not deprecating Darnold, I think he is very good.  However, many seem to believe that if only the Bills trade up for Darnold, Rosen, Allen or Mayfield that whomever they pick, will be On the level of Brady or Rodgers and magically carry a team that is currently under-talented and will spend all of their prime draft picks to move up for one of these “saviors”.

i acknowledge that if a team has one of the very few all-time greats at QB, that will surely keep them competitive for a decade.  However, you *might* find one all-time great in this QB class and then a couple very good starters that keep you competitive, but can’t single-handedly carry a marginally talented team beyond .500.  For SURE, that is better than what the Bills have had for a long time, but go look at the Chargers’ record for the last decade when they’ve had a very good, but not HOF QB.

27 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

It's not looking good for a trade up, I can see the Browns, Giants and Jets taking QB's. Cleveland has such good draft position this year. This draft could spring board their franchise. 

And good luck getting them to trade out of #4 if qb’s go 1-3 becuz that means they STILL get Barkley. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I would be surprised if there is any team in the top 7 or 8 Beane hasn't spoken to. 

He speaks to how methocical he and McDermott are with their approach to how they operate, so that is perfectly plausible.