Again, bills HAVE called up to browns for first overall

36 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

There are going to be a lot of teams with a money to spend next year, we don't usually land the top FA unless we over pay. The core of this team will need to be built through the draft.

We have several needs so that cap money could get wiped out in short order or if we go the value signing route then the big spenders here on the draft will cry about us being cheap.  Really not worth it to satisfy a few dozen squeaky wheels here.

2 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Some may or may not agree, but if I were the Browns I would absolutely trade the 1st pick to the Bills!  I wouldn't have to think about it for very long at all. 

Contrary to what most think, the Browns already have quite a bit of talent on their team.  Coupled with the fact that they already had a ton of high picks in this draft, and the additional haul of high picks from the Bills they could get this year, the Browns could be a legitimate Super Bowl contender in a year or 2.

As you all know by now, I have 3 QBs rated very closely this year in Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield.  I am not high on him, but maybe the Browns even love Allen as well.  The Browns are in a prime position with that pick at 4 to get pretty much any one of these guys they want, aside from whoever the Bills would take at 1.  The could possibly trade up from 4 with the Giants to get to 2 if they want, or they could just sit tight if they have a good idea of who the Jets are taking at 3.

The Browns, with the talent they do have already, and if they were to pick 4 / 12 / 22 / 33 / 35 / 53 / 56 / 64 / 114 / 150 / 175 / 205 (plus 2019 1st x2) as mentioned above, could conceivably compete for a Championship in 2 years. 

If the Bills were in this situation and we had the top pick in this draft and some team was offering all this to me, I would be begging the Bills to trade the 1st pick.  It's a no-brainer if you ask me, if I'm the Browns.  What a way to set your team up for the next 5-10 years with all those picks.

The only problem is, we would have to be competing with them and find a way to beat that team with all that talent to get to where we want to go!  Honestly, it is a win-win for both the Bills and Browns to make this happen.

Wishful thinking that ignores the terrible history of the Factory of Sadness.  They are going to select Darnold who projects as the best QB in the long run at #1. 

I don't know why the Browns would trade the first overall pick. They already have too many picks as it is, they are going to have multiple draft picks that don't make the roster. If I am them I am looking to move up in the draft, not down. 

Edited by billspro

46 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Please beane, do something soon. If I have to read 20 draft/trade threads a day up until the draft my head is gonna explode 

The thing is we could acquire the 1st overall selection and I bet people would still create threads about how the Bills should trade down and get more picks! :huh:

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Wishful thinking that ignores the terrible history of the Factory of Sadness.  They are going to select Darnold who projects as the best QB in the long run at #1. 

It's not wishful thinking on my part as a Bills fan......  I would not be in a hurry to get to #1.  I wan to get to #4.  If I can get there, I guarantee myself Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield.  That's all I need.  I don't need to get to get to 1 at all. 

If I was a Browns' fan, though, I would absolutely wanting this to happen.  They should be the one's wishful thinking at this point and praying that it happens.  They get a great QB prospect and a ton of top picks in the draft?  I would be very jealous of them......even though they are the Browns.

2 minutes ago, billspro said:

I don't know why the Browns would trade the first overall pick. They already have too many picks as it is, they are going to have multiple draft picks that don't make the roster. If I am them I am looking to move up in the draft, not down. 

If they want to take Allen anyways there's a very good chance he's there at 4. They would then also have the Bills 2x firsts, 2nd, 3rd. They could use the 2nd and 3rd to move back in to the first round and come away with 4 first round picks. If they are dumb enough to take Allen at 1 then at least be smart about it and collect more picks

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, sven233 said:

It's not wishful thinking on my part as a Bills fan......  I would not be in a hurry to get to #1.  I wan to get to #4.  If I can get there, I guarantee myself Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield.  That's all I need.  I don't need to get to get to 1 at all. 

If I was a Browns' fan, though, I would absolutely wanting this to happen.  They should be the one's wishful thinking at this point and praying that it happens.  They get a great QB prospect and a ton of top picks in the draft?  I would be very jealous of them......even though they are the Browns.

They already have a ton of picks and why would they settle for less than their #1 choice for he Franchise QB they desperately need.

22 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

There are going to be a lot of teams with a money to spend next year, we don't usually land the top FA unless we over pay. The core of this team will need to be built through the draft.

A Young Stud QB, could change FA coming here....

15 minutes ago, billspro said:

You can do both.

If the player you want to take #1 is going to be there at #4, then it certainly makes sense to trade #1.

They could sit at 12 and offer 22 / 35 / 64 (the value of pick #6) to move back up and walk out with the QB they want, plus 2 of the top ~8 position players, plus 3 2nd round picks, plus an additional 2019 1st.

6 minutes ago, billspro said:

Possible the Bills are doing this as a tactic to instill some urgency in the Giants if we are pursuing trading up to 2.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

If they want to take Allen anyways there's a very good chance he's there at 4. They would then also have the Bills 2x firsts, 2nd, 3rd. They could use the 2nd and 3rd to move back in to the first round and come away with 4 first round picks. If they are dumb enough to take Allen at 1 then at least be smart about it and collect more picks

I think the talke with Cleveland is the fact Beane and Gettleman want the same guy.  If that Qb goes 1 they would trade down.  Buffalo could trade to 1.  Cleveland could trade to 2 and give the giants 2 or 3 2nds. The Giants would than get Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson.  All very improbable but not impossible.  I think in the end Buffalo over pays for a QB b/c they have to.  Whether that is for pick 1,2,4, or 6,7,8,9.  

• Like (+1) 1

Why is this such a hot take? 

Theyd be dumb not to contact every single team in front of them if nothing more than to gauge interest. 

Id do it just to see if I could find out if there are other teams attempting to get in the top five. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They already have a ton of picks and why would they settle for less than their #1 choice for he Franchise QB they desperately need.

Maybe they don't have a clear cut #1 choice......  It is possible they have the QBs ranked very closely as I do.....  Maybe Allen or Rosen is actually their #1 choice.  We don't know.

I'm just saying, if they don't have a #1 choice that is clearly head and shoulders above the others, they would be crazy to not look into this.

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

I think the talke with Cleveland is the fact Beane and Gettleman want the same guy.  If that Qb goes 1 they would trade down.  Buffalo could trade to 1.  Cleveland could trade to 2 and give the giants 2 or 3 2nds. The Giants would than get Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson.  All very improbable but not impossible.  I think in the end Buffalo over pays for a QB b/c they have to.  Whether that is for pick 1,2,4, or 6,7,8,9.  

I think you overpay at 1,2, and 4.  I think the cost to move to 6 - 9 should not be terrible.  You're probably guarding against perhaps the Phins, Cards, or maybe the Chargers moving up.  Don't think they are in a position to outbid us.

Just now, sven233 said:

Maybe they don't have a clear cut #1 choice......  It is possible they have the QBs ranked very closely as I do.....  Maybe Allen or Rosen is actually their #1 choice.  We don't know.

I'm just saying, if they don't have a #1 choice that is clearly head and shoulders above the others, they would be crazy to not look into this.

I get that, but I'd be surprised if the likes of Dorsey, Wolf, and Highsmith don't have a QB they rate the as the best with both on-field and off-field considerations taken into account.   As a Bills' fan, I'd be ecstatic if they got up to #1, but realistically I don't see that happening. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Good analysis. That's true that Cleveland could get Bills to overpay for 1 because we are desperate and then trade up to 2 to ensure they get their QB. It would not be very expensive to do so seeing as how Giants know picks 2 and 3 are QB and they still get their position player. In the end, yes, Bills will be over paying for a QB because they have to get one. If they want Darnold it has to be pick 1. 

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I would be shocked if the Browns actually traded the #1 pick this year. 

I just dont see it. 

Nor do I. I think that if the Browns trade the #1 and Darnold turns out to be great, their fan base would explode to the point that it would cost the owner money.

The game has changed yet again (imo). Because of the kneelers, attendance is down and advertisers are pulling out. The CTE thing also brings a risk in terms of profits. At some point the owners (and definitely the players) are going to make less. I know..... they are already super rich. I get it but the wealthiest people are often the hungriest for more money. I cannot forsee the Browns owner taking that kind of risk again.

Jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

Really I think Beane is contacting all top 10 pick teams. I also dont think he makes any moves until the draft.

You have to know where you stand with teams so if you need to make a move (depending on how the draft unfolds) they will know what's needed. JMO

Just now, snamsnoops said:

Really I think Beane is contacting all top 10 pick teams. I also dont think he makes any moves until the draft.

You have to know where you stand with teams so if you need to make a move (depending on how the draft unfolds) they will know what's needed. JMO

I kinda think if there is a move for 1 or 2, it will happen before the draft, perhaps next week during the owner's meetings.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s for the 4th pick not the 1st. Cleveland’s not trading out of that one.

The Bills need to get to 4 to get their guy and it’s not Rosen or Darnold. Darnold is a huge question mark and Rosen is one slight hit away from his brains spilling out.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I kinda think if there is a move for 1 or 2, it will happen before the draft, perhaps next week during the owner's meetings.

I think a trade for Pick 1 would for sure happen before the draft. It makes sense for everyone involved so they have time to reset the draft board accordingly. A trade for pick 2 may or may not happen until the draft. Let's say Cleveland shocks everyone and picks Barkley at 1. You better believe Beane would call Getteman to trade up to 2 at that point to get their pick of the QB's. Broncos might too. It would be insanity

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I get that, but I'd be surprised if the likes of Dorsey, Wolf, and Highsmith don't have a QB they rate the as the best with both on-field and off-field considerations taken into account.   As a Bills' fan, I'd be ecstatic if they got up to #1, but realistically I don't see that happening. 

I don't necessarily see it happening either.  I just don't think it would be completely crazy, especially if I am the Browns.  Like I said, I think this would be an easy decision to make to take all of those picks, especially if they love Allen, Rosen, or Mayfield.

On the other hand, the Bills, while getting their #1 QB, would be giving up a TON.  While I get it and would support it if they really have their hearts set on one (providing it's not Allen), I would rather go to 4 and get whoever is left of Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield. 

But I can see this making sense from both team's perspectives pretty easily if it does end up happening. 

18 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I think it's very possible that Beane and Gettleman have Darnold as #1 by a margin in their boards, while Cleveland might have Darnold and Allen very close, if not the "controversial" guy at #1.  There could be distance on our board and the Giants board between the other QBs, so much so that the Giants would only go QB if Darnold is on the board while Darnold is the only guy we'll push all in for and are otherwise willing to see whoever remains out of the group of the other 3-4, giving something like a 2nd and 3rd to go to #6 if only 1 guy is left of that group.

Dorsey is now running the Browns, but Haslam is still the owner and still very much involved.  There's been speculation the entire process about the Browns being very high on Allen and certain members seeing him as Wentz 2.0, wanting to make up for missing him.  Allen certainly hasn't hurt his status in the post draft work.  If Beane is telling the Browns he'll give them a,b,x,y,z for #1 while only willing to give a,b,x for #4, but the Browns are equally comfortable or perhaps even prefer the guy who'll be there at 4, it's certainly a factor to consider.

8 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Nor do I. I think that if the Browns trade the #1 and Darnold turns out to be great, their fan base would explode to the point that it would cost the owner money.

The game has changed yet again (imo). Because of the kneelers, attendance is down and advertisers are pulling out. The CTE thing also places a risk in terms of profits. At some point the owners (and definitely the players) are going to make less. I know..... they are already super rich. I get it but the wealthiest people are often the hungriest for more money. I cannot forsee the Browns owner taking that kind of risk again.

Jmo.

I'd be shocked if the Browns trade out of #1. They swung and missed on Kizer and will try again this year. 

What wouldn't surprise me is the Giants taking Barkley at #2, not saying I expect that to happen, but it wouldn't surprise me. If that happens I could see the Browns trade out of #4.

Bills could should be talking with the Browns about either the #1 or #4.

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

The target at 1 would be Darnold. Problem is I don't think he's any good. Similar style to Alex Smith or Joe Flacco. Game manager who thrives off play action and roll outs. I'm not a fan.

I'll tell you who Darnold's motion reminds me of... FITZ! :sick: That said, I think he's the best of  a lot of bad options.

IMO, It'd be better to take a chance on a kid like Jackson at 12, or 22, and still be able to pick up another impact player with a high pick.

Two firsts, and Two seconds is just a CRAZY, CRAZY, price.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think it's very possible that Beane and Gettleman have Darnold as #1 by a margin in their boards, while Cleveland might have Darnold and Allen very close, if not the "controversial" guy at #1.  There could be distance on our board and the Giants board between the other QBs, so much so that the Giants would only go QB if Darnold is on the board while Darnold is the only guy we'll push all in for and are otherwise willing to see whoever remains out of the group of the other 3-4, giving something like a 2nd and 3rd to go to #6 if only 1 guy is left of that group.

Dorsey is now running the Browns, but Haslam is still the owner and still very much involved.  There's been speculation the entire process about the Browns being very high on Allen and certain members seeing him as Wentz 2.0, wanting to make up for missing him.  Allen certainly hasn't hurt his status in the post draft work.  If Beane is telling the Browns he'll give them a,b,x,y,z for #1 while only willing to give a,b,x for #4, but the Browns are equally comfortable or perhaps even prefer the guy who'll be there at 4, it's certainly a factor to consider.

The Browns would be nuts to trade down with the Bills and expect their guy to be there at #4 with the very real possibility that Darnold, Rosen, and Allen are picked 1, 2, 3. 

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I think a trade for Pick 1 would for sure happen before the draft. It makes sense for everyone involved so they have time to reset the draft board accordingly. A trade for pick 2 may or may not happen until the draft. Let's say Cleveland shocks everyone and picks Barkley at 1. You better believe Beane would call Getteman to trade up to 2 at that point to get their pick of the QB's. Broncos might too. It would be insanity

Could happen, but the cost would also be insane.  Probably not a lot of cost control if you want to get that high, but if it's a real tight time window with competition, you could go Vegas broke in a heartbeat.  That said, highly doubtful the Browns don't go qb at 1.

2 minutes ago, #34fan said:

I'll tell you who Darnold's motion reminds me of... FITZ! :sick: That said, I think he's the best of  a lot of bad options.

IMO, It'd be better to take a chance on a kid like Jackson at 12, or 22, and still be able to pick up another impact player with a high pick.

Trent Murphy reminds me more of Fitz than Darnold does:P

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Browns would be nuts to trade down with the Bills and expect their guy to be there at #4 with the very real possibility that Darnold, Rosen, and Allen are picked 1, 2, 3. 

They could get the Bills to overpay for 1 and then trade up from 4 to 2. Giants know their position player will be there at 4 because first 3 picks are QB so it would be win win for both teams

• Like (+1) 1

Breaking News:

Beane has also called the Giants, Broncos, Bucs, 49ers, Raiders about their picks....anyone outside the division has received a call.  Unfortunately, for those of us getting a little worn down by the speculation threads (yet I am still freaking clicking them), I have a feeling this will go down on draft night. 

What will be interesting to see is how many of the 4 "top" QBs the Bills view as worthy of moving up....if all 4 are rated somewhat equally, the Bills can likely focus on the Browns at 4 or the Colts at 6 or both (Trade for the 6 and then package to get to 4); if its just 2 of the 4 -- the Giants will be the focus and the ransom will be heavy.

I think having a great work out in the rain sealed the deal for Cleveland picking Darnold. I don't see them moving out of #1. If the Bills love Darnold way above the others then why would you trade away all of our assets for pick #2? I say let the draft play out.  Maybe Allen or Mayfied fall down to pick #6 or #7. A trade up then would cost a whole lot less.

4 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Wow, where to even begin with this nonsense

I have my doubts regarding the validity of this rumor but damn it would cost a lot to move to #1. 

We're talking almost everything from this draft as well as probably the 1st from next years. Who knows what else they would want. 

If this were to happen Beane better get it right in terms of QB. If you get the right one its all worth it. Either way i don't see this happening. Browns don't need more picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think it would certainly have to be worked out with the Giants before hand with the Browns going back up from 2 to 4.  If the Giants want Darnold too, that certainly eliminates the motivation to help.  But if the Giants simply want a non-QB who will be gone before 12 and that's their hang up on dealing down and Denver isn't going QB or at least isn't willing to give up the price to go up to #2 , there would be incentive for the Giants to play ball, get their guy at 4 plus add draft picks, the Browns to get the ransom to move out of 1 and still get their top choice and the Bills to actually get their #1 guy if they are paying the price to move.

2 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

They could get the Bills to overpay for 1 and then trade up from 4 to 2. Giants know their position player will be there at 4 because first 3 picks are QB so it would be win win for both teams

Too convoluted. They can just stay at 1 and rest assured they'll get who they want.  Then come back at 4 to take another great player. 

This is Beane doing his due diligence in gauging the market, exploring all options and actually what real GMs do behind the scenes.

I wouldn't put any stock pro or con into them calling Cleveland. I would have an issue if Buffalo closed up shop and didn't talk to any teams.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Iamkrgr said:

I have my doubts regarding the validity of this rumor but damn it would cost a lot to move to #1. 

We're talking almost everything from this draft as well as probably the 1st from next years. Who knows what else they would want. 

If this were to happen Beane better get it right in terms of QB. If you get the right one its all worth it. Either way i don't see this happening. Browns don't need more picks. 

It's very possible Giants want 12, 22, 53, 65 and next year's 1st. So Beane would be wise to ask Cleveland if they would do that for pick 1 to gauge the market. You never know. It's been rumored that Cleveland has Darnold and Allen rated pretty closely so they might be happy with Allen plus a ton of picks.

• Like (+1) 1