CB Phillip Gaines visiting Bills

5 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

"will visit the Bills last week?"

Any ideas on where he would fit? Slot, maybe? I am unfamiliar with this one. 

He corrected it. Next week.

4 minutes ago, ******* said:

Yikes. Please noooooo . Draft a rookie instead 

they are allowed to do both

1 minute ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

I wonder what's happened to Leonard Johnson haven't heard anything about him do they think this is an upgrade. Wasn't Gaines constantly getting burned last season from what I remember?

Terrance Mitchell. He went to Browns.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

yea he's terrible. Shareece Wright 2.0. 

Depth guy for sure. But Bills D is more corner friendly than Chiefs. 

Gaines fits McD’s CB type. Tall athletic with ball skills. The ball skills haven’t really translated over to the pros as of yet (1 INT). KC defense has been known to be very complex, maybe a simpler defense will help.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

"will visit the Bills last week?"

Any ideas on where he would fit? Slot, maybe? I am unfamiliar with this one. 

When Kendall Fuller lined up in the slot, he allowed a passer rating of 55.0. That was the best for all slot cornerbacks last year. Steven Nelson and Phillip Gaines both allowed passer ratings above 100 when in the slot.

Replytwe

Li
Edited by The Jokeman

28 minutes ago, jr1 said:

they should always replace a departing player with someone with the same last name

It is normally the policy of OBD to have the same last name as several others on the roster.  With that said We have had a culture change and the potential signing of this guy is why we had to let EJ sign else where.

-BB PR

Edited by formerlyofCtown

7 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

A free agent who was terrible last year,  he'll fit right in. The process will turn them all around. 

I'll bet you were saying this exact same thing last year.

• Like (+1) 1

Must be they were not satisfied with Johnson? Like wr the barrel is getting empty fast. 

But there are still cutdown ,after draft cuts and June 1 cuts to go . As long as they have

a first string ,the rest will fill in . Worry here is if a starter ones down look out.

i trust front office and the ability to evaluate in this area.

This guy is young, has lots of experience and is very talented as far as his measurables are concerned. When it comes to the secondary I have full confidence in McCoach's ability to evaluate players. If he thinks he can help this kid leverage off his physical skills in his scheme I'll be intrigued to see how it works out.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Greatdane21 said:

Must be they were not satisfied with Johnson? Like wr the barrel is getting empty fast. 

But there are still cutdown ,after draft cuts and June 1 cuts to go . As long as they have

a first string ,the rest will fill in . Worry here is if a starter ones down look out.

i trust front office and the ability to evaluate in this area.

Not likely. He was brought in for veteran leadership and was the most physical of the DBs.  Likely he will be signing another one year contract but there is no need to rush it and use up cap space if he has agreement in principle with Beane and coach McD.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

We can’t. We’re using all of our picks to get a franchise qb. Gaines will have to do for now. 

Next year 90mil tho. 

Sure about that? Even if they trade both 1sts,  a 2nd and a 3rd this year, they will have 6 picks in the 1st 5 rounds

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sure about that? Even if they trade both 1sts,  a 2nd and a 3rd this year, they will have 6 picks in the 1st 5 rounds

I wasn’t being 100% serious. But even if we do have a bunch of later round picks I’d prefer to not have to bank on one of them starting. 

It would be nice to have a vet there going into the season and if the rook outplays him let him transition organically. 

Banking on rooks being startes is never never a good idea. Drafting for need and not bpa gets you in trouble. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

It is normally the policy of OBD to have the same last name as several others on the roster.  With that said We have had a culture change and the potential signing of this guy is why we had to let EJ sign else where.

-BB PR

Remember when the Bills were the Williams?