Is there a rush to judgement on Peterman?

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

OP and Savior Peterman never seen in the same place at the same time.  Coincidence?  I think not....  Few QB's in their NFL debut have flamed out as spectacularly as Peterman did in his.  Does it mean he's not worthy?  Time will tell.

Thought the same thing about our OP here and the MIA SP.....

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I said the EXACT same thing about Yates last year (and was right). More than half of the NFL teams only carry 2 QBs. The Bills have Thomas and may bring back Webb. Those guys have each started NFL games at QB. They can finish a game in an emergency (did last year). You can add a more capable player on the street on Monday. 

Peterman hasn't shown that he belongs on the roster. Better prospects, Garrett Grayson, haven’t made it to year 2 either. I don’t think Peterman is good and so far I am right. If you look back and agree that Peterman was the right option in LA we disagree (and I was right on that too).

It's not a question of agreeing with Peterman starting. It's that I understand why he started in place of Taylor. There was a frustration and exasperation by Taylor's play that made the staff resort to making a desperate move. And it was his play in general why I was confident that he was not going to be on the roster this year. What was inevitable turned out to be inevitable. (And I was right on that.)

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

OP and Savior Peterman never seen in the same place at the same time.  Coincidence?  I think not....  Few QB's in their NFL debut have flamed out as spectacularly as Peterman did in his.  Does it mean he's not worthy?  Time will tell.

We all know that SP has been in high level business meetings, completely explaining why he and the Skydiver are never both on at once.  Nothing to see here, move along.....

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Honestly everyone want to move up for Rosen etc, which im all for...

But yes, How is Peterman going to look?  AJ McCarron may turn out to be pretty dang good, plus we could Draft a Mason Rudolph @ #12, Maybe a plan like that the Bills fill they can win, if you keep all those top 100 picks this year and next and build around whoever.....

Can this bullshi*t stop?

Please?

There is no way he is drafted at #12.

If he is, Beane should be fired and banned from the NFL.

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It's not a question of agreeing with Peterman starting. It's that I understand why he started in place of Taylor. There was a frustration and exasperation by Taylor's play that made the staff resort to making a desperate move. And it was his play in general why I was confident that he was not going to be on the roster this year. What was inevitable turned out to be inevitable. (And I was right on that.)

Yeah, he was traded elsewhere where he will start. 

You don’t just start a start a bum because he is different. You don’t just draft a guy because he is there and you are set on getting a QB (see EJ). Peterman got a chance that most 5th round QBs never see and failed MISERABLY. Why should he keep getting opportunities that he doesn’t deserve? Bad QBs come and go all of the time. The people that thought he was an option were woefully wrong. It may very well have been the decision that cost Dennison his job. He was the one pushing for it and was proven wrong. 

Peterman is fighting desperately for a roster spot. He should be praying that th Bills don’t trade up. If they do he is 50/50 at best. No reason to protect a 3rd string QB with limited upside. You can keep an extra RB, WR, OL, DL, etc.. that can actually play and help the team.  Asked another way, how will Peterman help the team more than Brandon Reilly? 

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

2 of his picks were out routes, where the timing was great but the trajectory was bad and they sat on the routes.  Both were basically pick 6's (ramsay fell down or something i can't remember and don't care to watch it)

You talking about the defensive interference on that play against the Jags?

or the drop by a great catcher in Dimarco,

or the 0.2 seconds he had to release the ball in SD.  

Had he been smart, he would have taken the sacks and make the O-line look bad!

I don't know anyone other than the coaches make a decision on the kid with a few games under his belt. 

4 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Love the people ragging on the rookie after his first start but want to keep TT after 7 years of proving nothing......some people just want to watch the world burn......

Which player do you think will have a better career? What percent chance do you think Peterman has of starting for 4 years? It was MAYBE 2% before the Chargers game (based on the history of guys picked there). In the middle of a playoff chase the 2% chance was a stupid decision and cost the OC his job. 

His problem was firing passes predictably and DB's jumping his routes. He needs to actually read the defense instead of just turning and firing.

Looks like he is accurate enough, but doesn't have a steller arm.

Who knows?

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, he was traded elsewhere where he will start. 

You don’t just start a start a bum because he is different. You don’t just draft a guy because he is there and you are set on getting a QB (see EJ). Peterman got a chance that most 5th round QBs never see and failed MISERABLY. Why should he keep getting opportunities that he doesn’t deserve? Bad QBs come and go all of the time. The people that thought he was an option were woefully wrong. It may very well have been the decision that cost Dennison his job. He was the one pushing for it and was proven wrong. 

Peterman is fighting desperately for a roster spot. He should be praying that th Bills don’t trade up. If they do he is 50/50 at best. No reason to protect a 3rd string QB with limited upside. You can keep an extra RB, WR, OL, DL, etc.. that can actually play and help the team.  Asked another way, how will Peterman help the team more than Brandon Reilly? 

I'm optimistic about the future of this franchise not because Taylor is on the roster but because he is off of it. No doubt that Dennison was very influential in Peterman starting the Charger game. But let's not forget that McDermott was the one who made the decision. You and I will not agree on this issue. What I have said before and continue to say is that I understand why the decision was made. The Peterman issue now is really inconsequential. Let this issue go Kirby and let that agitation in your stomach settle down. If I really wanted to provoke you I would force you to rewatch the qb play in the Jacksonville game. :)

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm optimistic about the future of this franchise not because Taylor is on the roster but because he is off of it. No doubt that Dennison was very influential in Peterman starting the Charger game. But let's not forget that McDermott was the one who made the decision. You and I will not agree on this issue. What I have said before and continue to say is that I understand why the decision was made. The Peterman issue now is really inconsequential. Let this issue go Kirby and let that agitation in your stomach settle down. If I really wanted to provoke you I would force you to rewatch the qb play in the Jacksonville game. :)

FWIW, it was Dennison that pushed for it. I know that to be the truth. 

I watched Peterman take 4 snaps against Jax, he fumbled, took an international grounding and got picked. Glad to see that encouraged you.

I honestly hope that they cut that bum so that we can stop having people like you defending him when he doesn’t deserve it. You hated Tyrod who was a serviceable starter (the league concurs). Yet you are more than willing to give a roster spot to a guy coming off THE WORST HALF IN NFL HISTORY!! Peterman sucks and will never play in a game for the Bills again. He will be a distant 3rd on the depth chart if by the 50/50 chance he makes the team. I will be back at that point to say I was right, just like I did in the Matthews thread. If a guy sucks, he sucks. He doesn’t need to be defended.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I ask it the other way around. Why do people believe in Peterman so much more than Levi Brown? They were both long shots with limited ability. 

Agreed.  Given the opportunity, I think Levi could have thrown 12 picks in one half of football.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

One round before Brady. Warner wasn't even drafted.

And they had how many interceptions in the first half of their first game?

You're mentioning aberrations, they aren't to be relied on. You don't make decisions off of outliers. 

these arguments for Peterman are absolutely ridiculous.  he was a 5th round pick for a reason.  people didn't think he was very good.  they put him in and guess what, he wasn't very good.  they didn't expect much and they didn't get much, he is who he is.  maybe some day he will be good enough to be a backup but we aren't in the position to sit around and wait.  we need a QB that can complete a pass to our own players and not just to the other team

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Love the people ragging on the rookie after his first start but want to keep TT after 7 years of proving nothing......some people just want to watch the world burn......

Wow if I could ban you I would.

Starting Peterman is essentially watching the world burn. Your the reason that the saying "The most popular guy on a losing team is the back up QB" exists.

Tyrod is an NFL caliber QB. Peterman showed he wasn't 

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

these arguments for Peterman are absolutely ridiculous.  he was a 5th round pick for a reason.  people didn't think he was very good.  they put him in and guess what, he wasn't very good.  they didn't expect much and they didn't get much, he is who he is.  maybe some day he will be good enough to be a backup but we aren't in the position to sit around and wait.  we need a QB that can complete a pass to our own players and not just to the other team

Only about 1/2 of all QBs who led their teams to Superbowl wins were fist round draft picks

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I still think with some work and preparation as well as a new OC  which we have some creativity and a lil luck Peterman will probably look fantastic in Preseason similarly to last year and make people wonder if McCarron is any better I see allot of similarities between the two QB's. He showed some potential and had some really bad luck and no time against SD. In the snow game he did the best he could and had allot to do with us winning in the end. Throwing him to the wolves against the Jags with the game on the line and he had to make a play it just didn't work out. The Jury is still out. 

If after watching his performance last year you say the jury is still out, your jury will forever be out.

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Only about 1/2 of all QBs who led their teams to Superbowl wins were fist round draft picks

That's more than any other round.

5 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

How many were 5th round picks and had to transfer colleges because they lost their starting spot to a player that also wasn't very good?

3 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Plenty of QBs who have had illustrious careers have had horrible starts.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000445192/article/troy-aikman-peyton-manning-among-qbs-with-bad-first-starts

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000445192/article/troy-aikman-peyton-manning-among-qbs-with-bad-first-starts

Are you referring to the fans or the coaching staff? The coaches yanked him after 1 half and didn't start him again.

There is no need to rush to judgement for me.

I don't think the Bills are rushing to judgement either (as they shouldn't).  However, IF they determine he is not good enough after working thru their process they can cut bait.

IMO he will be on the roster this year.  I think we will have 3 QBs on the roster this year.  However, as I am typing, do to teams not drafting him in the first 4 rounds last year and the 5 pick game.....we may be able to put him on the practice squad.  I believe we can put him on the practice squad and move him to the 53 man roster if someone tries to take him?

1 hour ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I still think with some work and preparation as well as a new OC  which we have some creativity and a lil luck Peterman will probably look fantastic in Preseason similarly to last year and make people wonder if McCarron is any better I see allot of similarities between the two QB's. He showed some potential and had some really bad luck and no time against SD. In the snow game he did the best he could and had allot to do with us winning in the end. Throwing him to the wolves against the Jags with the game on the line and he had to make a play it just didn't work out. The Jury is still out. 

"Peterman will probably look fantastic in Preseason similarly to last year"

NP's "fantastic" preseason : 43-79,  54.4%  453 yds,   5.7 ypa,   1 td,   0 int,   28 yd longest completion,   4 sacks,   75.6 rating

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

If we are talking about the same plays, where Thompson was the target, one was an overthrow (I dont think it lacked pace) and in the other it was Thompson who "sat" on the route. I could be wrong but for now I can't comfortably conclude that the guy has no place on an nfl roster. I think part of his problem may be overcompensating by putting a little too much mustard on the ball at times, sort of how Fitz did from time to time. Question remains whether he can make the throws if he tones it down a bit. Lack of talent or lack of experience? I dont feel like I can say for sure. Yet. 

I dont think it has anything to do with pace really.  The timing was there, he just threw it in a path that allowed it to get picked off.  

Is there a rush to judgement on Peterman?

No. But I had a rush to judgement on DiMarco and whoever called the blocking schemes on Bosa and guy on other side also.

3 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

This is just a ridiculous statement. The guy has hardly played and was a rookie. There is plenty of film of him in college making plays under pressure as well as some nice throws under pressure in the Colts game. He may or may not pan out but your "expert" opinion based on less than 2 full games of action is laughable. 

They called him “Nervous Nate” in college for the way that he played under pressure.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW, it was Dennison that pushed for it. I know that to be the truth. 

I watched Peterman take 4 snaps against Jax, he fumbled, took an international grounding and got picked. Glad to see that encouraged you.

I honestly hope that they cut that bum so that we can stop having people like you defending him when he doesn’t deserve it. You hated Tyrod who was a serviceable starter (the league concurs). Yet you are more than willing to give a roster spot to a guy coming off THE WORST HALF IN NFL HISTORY!! Peterman sucks and will never play in a game for the Bills again. He will be a distant 3rd on the depth chart if by the 50/50 chance he makes the team. I will be back at that point to say I was right, just like I did in the Matthews thread. If a guy sucks, he sucks. He doesn’t need to be defended.

My hating argument is a cheap distracting argument that belies the real issue i.e. as a starting qb he was inadequate. If you want to call him serviceable that is fine. I'll stick with my description of him as being inadequate. You have this unappealing tendency to mischaracterize another person's position and hammer away at it. I never said that Peterman was a good qb. What I have said about the HC starting him is that I understood why he replaced Taylor. No one is questioning that Dennison pushed to replace Taylor. That's obvious. But the HC made the decision. That's a fact! And I guarantee it that there was a reasonable basis for it. Taylor was replaced because he was ineffective for a string of games. 

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

My hating argument is a cheap distracting argument that belies the real issue i.e. as a starting qb he was inadequate. If you want to call him serviceable that is fine. I'll stick with my description of him as being inadequate. You have this unappealing tendency to mischaracterize another person's position and hammer away at it. I never said that Peterman was a good qb. What I have said about the HC starting him is that I understood why he replaced Taylor. No one is questioning that Dennison pushed to replace Taylor. That's obvious. But the HC made the decision. That's a fact! And I guarantee it that there was a reasonable basis for it. Taylor was replaced because he was ineffective for a string of games. 

He trusted his OC to make that call. He ultimately will take the responsibility but the decision wasn’t driven by McDermott (it was accepted by him). 

Still no no one has given what they like about his play. Again, the guys that have seen and evaluated him the most like him the least. There are a lot of people here saying, “we need to see more.” The guys like GB and Blokes that have thoroughly evaluated him think less of him than those that don’t like him!!  That’s scary to me. 

You (nor anyone) still hasn’t answered why he will add more value to the team than Reilly (or whoever is player 53)? Outside of a disaster, Peterman won’t play a snap. The best endorsement people have had so far is “he probably isn’t as bad as he looked.” No one is saying “I think he will be an asset.” The hope is that at some point he can be a backup. Is he more likely to be a serviceable QB at this point than some like Logan Woodside? Not necessarily and there are young guys available like that all of the time. 

I've rewatched every throw from that Chargers game and talk about a QB having absolutely zero chance to succeed. 

The entire pocket was collapsing on a majority of the plays and there was blanket coverage on every receiver on almost every play. Peterman made some errors but for his first start ever his entire team let him down.

Every other game he played he looked pretty solid.

Edited by suorangefan4

2 minutes ago, suorangefan4 said:

I've rewatched every throw from that Chargers game and talk about a QB having absolutely zero chance to succeed. 

The entire pocket was collapsing on the majority of the plays and there was blanket coverage on every receiver on almost every play. Peterman made some errors but for his first start ever his entire team let him down.

It looked like that every game!! The receivers never separated and the line wasn’t great at pass blocking. 

Rewatch his 4 plays from Jacksonville. If a fumble, and intentional grounding call and an INT are a “pretty solid” 4 plays, I would love to hear what is bad?  That is the exact example that I keep challenging people on him! In what word is that “pretty solid?!?!?”

The results were bad - dont even need to list it out.

The eye test was bad - not nearly enough zip on his ball, very deliberate with his throws, lack of presence under pressure.

Expectations - the guy was a late round pick. There is no giving up because there was no real expectations in the first place.

This is not a former #1 pick. This guy has no similarity to a Manning, Elway, etc. Every guy in a grocery store that used to play college ball could be a Kurt Warner...maybe we should grab 20 ex college QB's out of the game and fill are roster with them so not to give up too early on them. 

No rush to judgement, he hasn't shown to be much more than a middling prospect with a weak arm. At least not to date. How much playing time must he be given to demonstrate he's more than thoroughly average? I haven't seen anything yet that suggests more than a career backup at best. 

2 minutes ago, suorangefan4 said:

The entire pocket was collapsing on a majority of the plays and there was blanket coverage on every receiver on almost every play. Peterman made some errors but for his first start ever his entire team let him down.

Not even close to being accurate. and he cannot throw the deep ball even in a clean pocket.

SplendidWellwornKoi-max-14mb.gif

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It looked like that every game!! The receivers never separated and the line wasn’t great at pass blocking. 

Rewatch his 4 plays from Jacksonville. If a fumble, and intentional grounding call and an INT are a “pretty solid” 4 plays, I would love to hear what is bad?  That is the exact example that I keep challenging people on him! In what word is that “pretty solid?!?!?”

Its called denial.

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

No rush to judgement, he hasn't shown to be much more than a middling prospect with a weak arm. At least not to date. How much playing time must he be given to demonstrate he's more than thoroughly average? I haven't seen anything yet that suggests more than a career backup at best. 

Well some used to say 3 full years as a starter with no competition for his job. Remember the EJ debates...