Rumor: Trade up discussion with Giants

5 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

That's a lot to give up, but, have to try IMO.

A rich California kid in a rustbelt city with a bunch of morons diving on to burning tables, awesome!

http://www.nflshop.com/Tyrod_Taylor_Gear/Mens_Cleveland_Browns_Tyrod_Taylor_Nike_Brown_Game_Jersey

When are you moving to Cleveland?

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If you think that's a kings ransom to move up and grab a possible Franchise QB in a good QB year - than you just haven't been paying close enough attention. 

No way you'd know this, but I pay very close attention, and it is a king's ransom....and we can go back and forth about how to identify a "franchise QB", but since this discussion has essentially been rehashed to the point it nearly nauseates me, we'll just agree to disagree. 

I think this should do it:

#12 (2018)

#22 (2018)

2nd round pick (2018)

2nd round pick (2019)

3rd round pick (2018)

We can not afford to spend more than this. However I do trust Bean making a creative trade which involves a player. 

We pick Darnorld or Rosen with #2. Next year we have roughly $100 million in FA money next year to build a solid offense around the rookie and continue to build out Defense. 

After This trade we are left with these draft picks this year. Not bad at all to build this year. 

1st 

2nd

3rd

4th

5th 

6th

thoughts???

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I understand all is fair in love and war, but if Gettleman really did that to Beane, that's kinda effed up. They could take those parameters to other teams directly. No need to air the laundry. I dont think that's really going on.

I agree.  There is no need to negotiate through the media or any other third party.  All is doomed when you turn to a mob of people for direction.

39 minutes ago, eball said:

If you follow Daniel Jeremiah (I don't, but he's apparently a pretty dialed in draft analyst) he has Darnold ahead of Wentz (as a prospect) and Rosen just behind him.

My guess is that Beane is targeting Rosen. Most people believe that the Browns are going to use their first pick on Darnold. The assumption on my part is that the Bills are going to work out a deal with the Giants for their pick. The Bills are in the best position to offer the most to them. And that is what it is going to take. 

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Well, if Aaron Rogers (he of Hollywood girlfriend fame) can do OK in Green Bay, I don't worry about Rosen in our little burg...

I'm not really worried about it.  I'm more worried about the rather slight frame and injury concerns.

1 minute ago, wppete said:

#12 (2018)

#22 (2018)

2nd round pick (2018)

2nd round pick (2019)

3rd round pick (2018)

We can not afford to spend more than this. However I do trust Bean making a creative trade which involves a player. 

We pick Darnorld or Rosen with #2. Next year we have roughly $100 million in FA money next year to build a solid offense around the rookie and continue to build out Defense. 

After This trade we are left with these draft picks this year. Not bad at all to build this year. 

1st 

2nd

3rd

4th

5th 

6th

thoughts???

That’s exactly what ICB said is on the table

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

its a sweet deal but the Giants will try to milk more hence the reason the Giants released details of the offer. Now teams know what they have to beat.

If nobody outbids us were in

NYG need to maximize what they get for the Pick, the GM relationship helps, but it is still business. Can't blame them really, if the shoe was on the other foot we would all be like "Hell no! Gimme more!"

2 minutes ago, wppete said:

#12 (2018)

#22 (2018)

2nd round pick (2018)

2nd round pick (2019)

3rd round pick (2018)

1st 

2nd

3rd

4th

5th 

6th

thoughts???

Yes, this is why the Bills are the only team in position to do this trade without wiping out their draft. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

It's one thing to take that approach when you are talking to the Giants / Colts / maybe even the Browns at 4.

But one of those teams made their move.  If we are anywhere close to getting the deal done, you get it done.  You don't risk Miami / Denver / Arizona etc doing something crazy.

You think people were upset after the Jets made their move, what happens if the Dolphins throw all in and get pick #2, the Jets & Dolphins both walk out with franchise QBs we have to see for the next 10 years + and we just sit on a pile of draft capital with AJ McCarron and Mason Rudolph "battling it out"?

For the win

image.jpeg.bfd9c0104e4d34be148312a550771436.jpeg

15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I understand all is fair in love and war, but if Gettleman really did that to Beane, that's kinda effed up. They could take those parameters to other teams directly. No need to air the laundry. I dont think that's really going on.

If that happened, then Beane needs to send a very nice text to Gettleman that reads:

"Our offer is only good until March 24 at 4pm then we'll have to take it off he table. Hope you and the family are doing well. Talk soon. B"

Put a deadline on the offer and let Gettleman call around this week. He won't find a better offer. Done deal by Friday at 8pm

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I haven't liked a prospect more than Darnold since Andrew Luck. I think he has greatness in him. We shall see.

I like Darnold too, in spite of the unorthodox throwing motion and carrying the ball low which makes him prone to fumbling.  The latter, I think, you can unlearn and I wouldn't mess with the former, because it works for him.  I haven't really considered Darnold, however, because I'm just sure he's going to the Browns at #1 overall.

12 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

It's one thing to take that approach when you are talking to the Giants / Colts / maybe even the Browns at 4.

But one of those teams made their move.  If we are anywhere close to getting the deal done, you get it done.  You don't risk Miami / Denver / Arizona etc doing something crazy.

You think people were upset after the Jets made their move, what happens if the Dolphins throw all in and get pick #2, the Jets & Dolphins both walk out with franchise QBs we have to see for the next 10 years + and we just sit on a pile of draft capital with AJ McCarron and Mason Rudolph "battling it out"?

This is what's scaring me....one day before the draft I'll get the NFL mobile text with breaking news the Dolphins, Cards or Broncos get the #2 pick.

Then we have to hope AJ McCaron turns out to be a diamond in the rough.

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

NYG need to maximize what they get for the Pick, the GM relationship helps, but it is still business. Can't blame them really, if the shoe was on the other foot we would all be like "Hell no! Gimme more!"

The bonus here is that there is no other team in the race that can reasonably match even our starting offer. Price may not go up much unless the Giants just don't want to move out of their spot.

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

If that happened, then Beane needs to send a very nice text to Gettleman that reads:

"Our offer is only good until March 24 at 4pm then we'll have to take it off he table. Hope you and the family are doing well. Talk soon. B"

Put a deadline on the offer and let Gettleman call around this week. He won't find a better offer. Done deal by Friday at 8pm

I still think that they should agree in principle but not pull the actual trigger on announcement until draft day and the #1 pick is over and their guy (Rosen or otherwise) is officially there. 

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

The bonus here is that there is no other team in the race that can reasonably match even our starting offer. Price may not go up much unless the Giants just don't want to move out of their spot.

I am thinking they are going to want a little something next year as well...I wouldn't like to move 1, but they could easily have 2 and/or 3...

7 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

That's like showing up at a Mercedes dealership with $500 and a ham sandwich and saying "I don't care what the price you have on the car, I'll give you $500 and this sandwich!"

Thats a little hyperbolic but I get your point. 2 firsts and 2 seconds does not seem like chicken feed to me. That's 4 potential starters for a team in dire need of OL help that appears to be sticking with Eli. What other team can top that offer? Add a third this yr but that would be it for me.  

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

No other team will have 2 1sts to offer this year nor the overall draft capital in 2018 to realistically be able to offer 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd.

That doesn't mean they won't try and fleece us by asking for more. Are we over the draft value pts?

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

That is what I think too. The Bills aren’t challenged by anyone realistically. Denver can assemble a decent package but it still isn’t near ours. The Bills are in prime position to get it done. 

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I still think that they should agree in principle but not pull the actual trigger on announcement until draft day and the #1 pick is over and their guy (Rosen or otherwise) is officially there. 

Too risky.  That basically gives the Giants a month to sit there and wait for the Dolphins to offer 4 1st round picks or the Broncos to offer #5, 2 1sts, other picks.

If you agree to a deal in principle, send the paperwork in.  If something happens that you aren't comfortable with the pick at 2, you can always shop the pick.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That doesn't mean they won't try and fleece us by asking for more. Are we over the draft value pts?

They can try but it all depends on how much they want to move the pick. The Bills know they can’t realistically get outbid. So they either want to trade it or they don’t. 

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Too risky.  That basically gives the Giants a month to sit there and wait for the Dolphins to offer 4 1st round picks or the Broncos to offer #5, 2 1sts, other picks.

If you agree to a deal in principle, send the paperwork in.  If something happens that you aren't comfortable with the pick at 2, you can always shop the pick.

I really doubt either team would do that 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, this is why the Bills are the only team in position to do this trade without wiping out their draft. 

I don't know about that.  Denver has the 5th overall, a second, and a first next year in a draft where everybody says the QB quality is inferior.  Yes, it is a little more of a stretch for them but if these prospects are as good as some here maintain then they would also be interested in somebody that could help them for many years to come.

Denver isn't selling the farm to trade up to 2. They like Keenum and will take their chances that the guy they want will be there at 5 or they may trade down themselves. Miami may trade up but they have don't have the Bills draft capital. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If I'm the Giants I don't make a move until they are on the clock.  That would ensure some panic stricken team will sweeten the offer to get to 2.  And if not I get whomever I want..

I’d feel the same way if I were the Giants I think (especially knowing that the Browns don’t want to deal 1). If I’m the Bills I am working with the Browns and trying leverage the Giants. It probably won’t work but maybe if the Giants think that the Bills would be happy at 4 they’ll pull the trigger? The Giants can’t get the Bills package elsewhere. If they overplay their hand and the Bills go to 4 with the intent of Allen or Baker the Giants are “stuck” at 2. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

A few issues here...

- Miami can't offer 4 first-round picks, only picks from the 3 upcoming drafts are eligible to be traded

- Even if Denver offers 5 and two more 1sts, those future 1sts will be downgraded in value to 2nds

- If Buffalo does move to 2, they aren't trading down, since they'd only move to 2 if they're okay with at least 2 players

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The 9 Isles said:

Is this actually happening or is this just another message board fantasy quest?

Yep, a rumor that pretty much matches a fantasy quite a few here have.  I would not say that it is utterly impossible but will wait for the presser from OBD before I put much stock into it.

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is what's scaring me....one day before the draft I'll get the NFL mobile text with breaking news the Dolphins, Cards or Broncos get the #2 pick.

Then we have to hope AJ McCaron turns out to be a diamond in the rough.

Dolphins and Cards aren't real threats unless the Bills just decide the price exceeds the value to them.  The Broncos have the #5 pick and that's a problem. The NYG can still acquire some picks without missing out on players highly ranked on their board from 2-11. Assume if the Giants are willing to move down that they are not taking a QB. They know the NYJ are going QB. CLE could trade out of 4 if a QB needy team wants to move. They could be sitting in a great spot at 5 watching mostly QBs go off the board. This could put a huge dent in the Bills QB plans 

Edited by Boatdrinks

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

I am thinking they are going to want a little something next year as well...I wouldn't like to move 1, but they could easily have 2 and/or 3...

the offer already has next year's 2. If they want more just to feel like they 'won' then I'd give up one of our 2 4ths I suppose

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d feel the same way if I were the Giants I think (especially knowing that the Browns don’t want to deal 1). If I’m the Bills I am working with the Browns and trying leverage the Giants. It probably won’t work but maybe if the Giants think that the Bills would be happy at 4 they’ll pull the trigger? The Giants can’t get the Bills package elsewhere. If they overplay their hand and the Bills go to 4 with the intent of Allen or Baker the Giants are “stuck” at 2. 

The pressure game works for either side potentially.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Dolphins and Cards aren't real threats unless the Bills just decide the price exceeds the value to them.  The Broncos have the #5 picks and that's a problem. The NYG can still acquire some picks without missing out on players highly ranked on their board from 2-11. Assume if the Giants are willing to move down that they are not taking a QB. They know the NYJ are going QB. CLE could trade out of 4 if a QB needy team wants to move. They could be sitting in a great spot at 5 watching mostly QBs go off the board. This could put a huge dent in the Bills QB plans 

Completely agree Denver is the true threat here.  That's why we are going to need to overpay.  The very real possibility exists of the Giants just taking #5, a future 1st, a 2nd this year and possibly something else and walking out with the exact same player they would at 2.

It’s a lot, but we still get our first next year and have picks in rounds 2 and 3.  

I’d do it. If we get our QB (not Allen), and we get two starters with our other two picks, that’s a win. 

I really want Mayfield, but I think this would solidify Rosen. 

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Completely agree Denver is the true threat here.  That's why we are going to need to overpay.  The very real possibility exists of the Giants just taking #5, a future 1st, a 2nd this year and possibly something else and walking out with the exact same player they would at 2.

While I think the NYG would like that haul, I do not think Elway would do that, at all. He’s in a win-now mindset. If he was rebuilding, maybe. If he wants a top 5 QB he will get one of the top 4 at 5 without giving up anything unless someone trades with the Browns. If he wants to he could give up much less just moving up one spot to 4. Regardless i don’t think he’s taking one at 5.

Edited by YoloinOhio