Coach McD - “We are not as far along as people may think”

The money quote that gives you hope we have finally found the right guy who can look at the situation, analyze the numbers and not just rest his ego on bottom line results.

in someways when you say “we aren’t as good as you think we are” he is basically saying yeah we are 9-7 WC team but in several key stats we were worse in 2017 than we were in 2026 and the WC is largelt based on a missed call on a Matt Ryan fumble, a missed Adam Vineteri FG, and Andy Dalton.

so do not expect that we are moving toward our window.  In fact this quote leans toward preparing the fans for things to go slowly in season 2 and perhaps even backwards record wise (should it be with a rookie QB)

Either way...recognizing the limitations and allowing that to influence your decisions is sound.

sigh of relief!

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 6

6 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

That is the quote.  The money quote that gives you hope we have finally found the right guy who can look at the situation, analyze the numbers and not just rest his ego on bottom line results.

in someways when you say “we aren’t as good as you think we are” he is basically saying yeah we are 9-7 WC team but in school me key stats we were worse in 2017 than we were in 2026 and the WC is largelt based on a missed call on a Matt Ryan fumble, a missed Adam Vineteri FG, and Andy Dalton.

so do not expect that we are moving toward our window.  In fact this quote leans toward preparing the fans for things to go slowly in season 2 and perhaps even backwards record wise (should it be with a rookie QB)

Either way...recognizing the limitations and allowing that to influence your decisions is sound.

sigh of relief!

a relief that we may go backwards? Not for me. You are supposed to build on your previous season...not go backwards

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

The money quote that gives you hope we have finally found the right guy who can look at the situation, analyze the numbers and not just rest his ego on bottom line results.

in someways when you say “we aren’t as good as you think we are” he is basically saying yeah we are 9-7 WC team but in several key stats we were worse in 2017 than we were in 2026 and the WC is largelt based on a missed call on a Matt Ryan fumble, a missed Adam Vineteri FG, and Andy Dalton.

sigh of relief!

Whaley seemed to always overrate his roster and make moves to get over the hump. McBeane seems to have a plan and blueprint to build a roster. The Bills were very fortunate to make the playoffs. At best they were a middle of a road team. I'm on board with this regime's multi-year plan to build a more sustainable roster. In the long run strategic thinking is better than short term tactical thinking. Without a doubt a thoughtful organization is better than a scrambling organization. 

• Like (+1) 5

agree, they're not. Dline needs to be bolstered. Oline, mainly a center and definitely need the most important position filled with a competent QB.

hopefully they meet most of those needs this off season, especially the QB position?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Whaley seemed to always overrate his roster and make moves to get over the hump. McBeane seems to have a plan and blueprint to build a roster. The Bills were very fortunate to make the playoffs. At best they were a middle of a road team. I'm on board with this regime's multi-year plan to build a more sustainable roster. In the long run strategic thinking is better than short term tactical thinking. Without a doubt a thoughtful organization is better than a scrambling organization. 

Very true.  A middle of the road team exactly. That benefited from several breaks which literally swung games.

i don’t want to see the Bills be like the 10-6 Jets who became the next season fell off the cliff or the Dolphins who in ‘16 were the WC and in ‘17 fell off cliff.

18 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

sigh of relief!

Is there ANYTHING I can do to convince you to give me a ride in your time machine? Pretty please?? I just think that d be SSSSOOOOO cool!!:)

12 minutes ago, nucci said:

a relief that we may go backwards? Not for me. You are supposed to build on your previous season...not go backwards

That's how I feel too.  No more going backwards.  We need to get better each and every year.  We've all suffered enough.

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Agree.  There were certainly positive signs last year, particularly the way they prepared, the competitiveness, the team first attitude, etc.  I liked the way the defense played down the stretch, buckling down and getting the Bills in the playoffs. They still have a long way to go to consistently compete with the best.  He has the program established and they now need to build a better roster, and this will take some time, but I am confident he will have them competitive along the way.

Edited by MDFan

He's 100% correct in that there are people out there that expect, after a playoff season, for the Bills to be a Super Bowl contender. This team has a lot of holes to fill and remains a team that went on a horrible 4 game downturn mid-season and had horseshoes galore to make the playoffs. However, he may not be insinuating to expect a digression in 18/19, but just a reality check for those with meteoric expectations. With improved play calling on offense alone, the Bills assuredly would not have needed those horseshoes to break the drought. 

• Like (+1) 1

Then the whole mindset of winning now and winning later was just happy talk.  (EDIT: They) did "win now" by going 9-7 last season, but it sounds as though McD wants to set the bar low and hope to surpass those expectations.

There's no doubt Whaley left this team in a massive whole. A top heavy and aging roster with no real answer at QB among other things. That said, the old expectation is it took 3-4 years to rebuild is garbage. McD may not be saying that here, but going 6-10, 7-9 in 2018 ain't getting the job done. 

Edited by BillsVet

I appreciate his honesty in regards to the team evaluation. I don't read anything into it other than the team needs to drastically improve in a number of areas. It's not earth shattering and it's not revelatory other than to indicate he's willing to admit deficiencies despite a modicum of recent success. Well done Coach, now you and Beane go assemble the team we deserve and have long pined for since the greatest days of the Buffalo Bills football era! Go Bills! 

• Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Very true.  A middle of the road team exactly. That benefited from several breaks which literally swung games.

i don’t want to see the Bills be like the 10-6 Jets who became the next season fell off the cliff or the Dolphins who in ‘16 were the WC and in ‘17 fell off cliff.

This stuff happens to teams every year......you need breaks to win games...to be ok going backwards and missing the playoffs next season is wrong

1 minute ago, jr1 said:

are people ready for a 4 win season with a rookie QB?

Nope

10 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

What if we are a better team in 2018 with a worse record?  How would that strike you?

if we're 4-12 are we a better team?

7 minutes ago, MDFan said:

Agree.  There were certainly positive signs last year, particularly the way they prepared, the competitiveness, the team first attitude, etc.  I liked the way the defense played down the stretch, buckling down and getting the Bills in the playoffs. They still have a long way to go to consistently compete with the best.  He has the program established and they now need to build a better roster, and this will take some time, but I am confident he will have them competitive along the way.

The Bills were an overachieving team last year. The new regime came in and stripped away some of the talent. The HC is in the process of getting his type of players. It is a tribute to the HC and the players who bought in that this team accomplished more than what was expected. It is also a tribute to the organization that it has a realistic assessment where this team actually stands. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

If we were 4-12 but that Rookie was playing at a high rookie level.

if he is playing at a high rookie level we would win more than 4 games. Look at what the Texans did when Watson was the starter

The Matt Ryan call was correct, Vinatieri made a FG earlier in that game he had no business making, and a win in the final week counts no more or no less than a win earlier in the season.  That being said, I agree that they're not as far along, because of the QB situation.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

This stuff happens to teams every year......you need breaks to win games...to be ok going backwards and missing the playoffs next season is wrong

Nope

I think you can look at how some teams win and say...legit.

i also feel you can look at how other teams win and say...fools gold.

i just feel that the Bills were more fools gold in 2017 than legit.  That doesn’t mean I put down the effort.  They overachieved IMO.  But I do seriously question of how they won is a consistent thing over a long haul.

i think we all knew this, especially with the heavy change of the roster this past season.  this off season is really the first step into building the roster that this new staff wants.  it's going to take another year or two, but at least it looks like there is a specific plan in place.  

1 minute ago, Socal-805 said:

FWIW:  In many ways I think he is correct, he's right.  And Buffalo MAY take a slight step backwards this season.  IMO.

We will see.

i could happen, and if it does, i would think it does in the name of making this roster younger.  

1 minute ago, teef said:

i think we all knew this, especially with the heavy change of the roster this past season.  this off season is really the first step into building the roster that this new staff wants.  it's going to take another year or two, but at least it looks like there is a specific plan in place.  

I just worry that the WC 9-7 will derail the team from fixing what really needs to be fixed.  I feel other coaches (not just on this team) have fallen victim to the shinny object in front of their face and then imploded the next season.

3 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I think you can look at how some teams win and say...legit.

i also feel you can look at how other teams win and say...fools gold.

i just feel that the Bills were more fools gold in 2017 than legit.  That doesn’t mean I put down the effort.  They overachieved IMO.  But I do seriously question of how they won is a consistent thing over a long haul.

The Bills played some pretty good games last year. I understand the roster isn't perfect and am realistic but they can build on last years roster and still contend for the playoffs

1 minute ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I just worry that the WC 9-7 will derail the team from fixing what really needs to be fixed.  I feel other coaches (not just on this team) have fallen victim to the shinny object in front of their face and then imploded the next season.

Why?

Just now, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

your concern is certainly legit, but this staff doesn't strike me that way.  i feel like there's a specific formula in place, and they're sticking to it. 

This team may very well regress record wise in 2018 as it lays the foundation for a team that will compete at a high level year after year.  Need 2 DLs, 2 LBs, a Center, a #1 WR, at least one guard, a QB, and depth.  The process means you keep filling the holes with personnel that fit, always trying to get better.  I want to see a team that plays hard, and is getting better week after week.  Bills were lucky to make the playoffs last year, but even if they hadn't I liked the direction the team was going.  I'm hoping this draft for the Bills will be as productive as 2017.  Maybe they can find some more FA gems.  Already like the Davis signing.  GO BILLS.

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

The Bills played some pretty good games last year. I understand the roster isn't perfect and am realistic but they can build on last years roster and still contend for the playoffs

Why?

Why?  BecUse I root for a team that shut down its College Qb scouting reports and signed Fitzpatrick to a big deal after a couple of good games

i root for a team whose GM refused to draft a QB and only admitted after being fired he should have done it but let other things (like the drought) Effect his thinking.

lol

im still recovering.  Like a abused dog not willing to take the extended food from a new friendly owner.

38 minutes ago, nucci said:

It's a relief that we have a coach who understands that the job is not done. Unlike Rex, who thought we were a 16-0 team and didn't realize that you still have to work to get better.

42 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

He's right. We were a .500 team that got lucky. We have a lot of room to improve. 

You're being too kind with calling them a .500 team.

It may get worse before it gets better and I'm fine with that.

He is correct. Technically last year was the year the Bills were supposed to get 4-5 wins.

And this year would be the year they would try to improve on that and maybe get to 8 wins.

They way over achieved last year, and let's be honest, got a lot of breaks along the way.

I like the direction they are going, but I think they are a few years away from being a legit contender

A prime example as well is the Miami Dolphins. They went what, 10-6 in 2016? They shouldn't have been 10-6 and got lots of breaks that season.

Then look at them this year. Granted they had lots of adversity with the hurricane and losing Tannehill, but they fell right back down to earth

I have thought this way since mid season that the Bills are not a playoff caliber team. Good teams do not get blown out in multiple games during the season. The Bills got lucky that some plays went their way. I dont expect another playoff season next year but instead want to see the Bills build a team to be a contender within 3 yrs. Starts with QB.