Stand by your BUST.

#34fan

We all have a pick we LOVE in round 1 of the 2018 draft...

A kid with the intangibles!

A kid with upside through the roof! 

A kid who could be completely out of football by 2020!!!

Here's your chance to own the pony!... Detail what's RIGHT with your pick... Don't, however, forget to mention the drawbacks... Explain why they cause your pick to go down in FLAMES.

My Pick:  Da'ron Payne, DT Alabama  6'2" 310 lbs

The good:   Power... -Unlimited power!   -Comes off the ball fast... Excellent short-range pursuit speed (when necessary)... can stop a runner with one paw... Surprising athletic ability, and game-awareness. i.e. batting balls, INT's, fumble recovery... plugs rushing lanes and Easily draws 2 blockers... Big personality.. -Leads by example.... Lot's of room to grow & get even stronger!

The bad:   Needs to work on technique (hands placement, pad-level) Often quits on double teams... Inconsistent motor (disappears in games sometimes)

My guess is the motor does him in.  Might not be able to process, and work through blockers at the next level. -Still worth the shot @ 21 or 22, IMHO.

Edited by #34fan
  • Like (+1) 2

Saquon Barkley seems like the surest thing ever, right?

Everything I've seen from him makes it seem like it's the real deal. I feel like the confidence is justified, there's no way Saquon Barkley doesn't become MVP level right away. Barkley could save the Browns single-handedly. He'd be the kind of back that you could make the insane Rickey Williams trade for, and it'd actually be worth it. Except...

Except who knows.

It's possible that he gets stuck in the quicksand blackhole of the Browns, or he gets hurt, or he's just CJ Spiller. But aaaahhhh idk man, I'm excited to see what he can do in the NFL. 

Either way. It's nice to see the so-called "running back resurgence" with the last few drafts of rookie RBs. 

Edited by LA Grant

EDIT: Misread title. Thought it meant to pick who you think will be least likely to bust.

Quenton Nelson: Best player in the draft at his position and best OL prospect since Joe Thomas, better than Zach Martin.

Pros:

- Ideal size

- Insane Mauler

- Scheme friendly

- Brutal

- Mean streak

- Mobile, great on pulls and as a lead blocker.

Cons:

- Is a guard and not a left tackle.

I'd be shocked if Nelson does not make 7-8 Pro Bowls and dominates for a decade. He would be perfect for the Indianapolis Colts, this is the guy you want protecting Andrew Luck.

Edited by NewDayBills
Misinterpreted thread
  • Like (+1) 1

The other thing about Barkley -- he's such a slam dunk that of course the Browns will go QB at #1, and the f---in Giants will get him. Barkley's name even fits with the Dawg Pound thing. It would be a very Browns-like to pass on a generational talent at 1, to pick whoever is the biggest bust of the top 3 at number one. 

If the Browns do take Barkley and he does pan out, that's great for everyone because the AFC North needs a shake up and the division is pretty open. If he goes to the Giants, it's better for Collinsworth, I guess... ugh

Of course Cleveland is going to Browns this up:  

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/02/what_about_saquon_barkley_at_n.html

• Like (+1) 1

The Browns should trade up and make sure they get their QB + Barkley. He's the most complete RB of our generation. He should be the top pick no doubt. The only thing that could stop him would be an injury early in his career, otherwise he is a hall of famer on the right team

Roquan Smith is mine.  He is the 6th ranked player on my board.  He is a little smaller than the ideal NFL middle linebacker size but try finding examples on his college tape where his lack of size or strength hurts him.... they are few and far between.  I think he is going to be an outstanding, exciting, play making linebacker as a pro.  

42 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Lamar Jackson. Because we allllll know that “dynamic” qb are the future. 

/sarcasm 

he will be the bust of the draft.

i think Saquon Barkley is the best player in the draft, period.

Nice job following directions!! 

As to the thread, it is Denzel Ward for me.  He was outstanding this year and is next in the line of great Buckeye corners. His feet and hips are so good. Ward is like a shadow, mirroring opposing receivers. He is however only 5’10” and that could be a problem defending bigger guys.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

As to the thread, it is Denzel Ward for me.  He was outstanding this year and is next in the line of great Buckeye corners. His feet and hips are so good. Ward is like a shadow, mirroring opposing receivers. He is however only 5’10” and that could be a problem defending bigger guys.

Lol I followed directions, just added some additional ?

I love Josh Rosen. He is the prototype, high potential quarterback we have been searching for all of this time. The guy was pretty much bred to be a quarterback with a great release, arm strength, and football IQ. 5 star high school recruit. He is also very intelligent. I honestly think his floor is Eli Manning. 

Some drawbacks are that he is a bit skinny and needs to add ten pounds. He also has opinions, which the blue collar types don't like (this doesn't bother me but it rubs some people the wrong way). He has had injury issues. He also looks like the guy from "I Love you Beth Cooper." 

• Like (+1) 1

I like Quentin Nelson alot, but He'll be long gone by the time the Bills pick.  If I wanted an O-Lineman (and I do since Eric Wood retired) next up os Billy Price from Ohio State.  He can play both G & C which gives some versatility in areas we need.   I do not think he will bust, but he has had a tendency to draw some flags in the past and I do not see him having the ability to move out to Tackle , should the need arise. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, #34fan said:

We all have a pick we LOVE in round 1 of the 2018 draft...

A kid with the intangibles!

A kid with upside through the roof! 

A kid who could be completely out of football by 2020!!!

Here's your chance to own the pony!... Detail what's RIGHT with your pick... Don't, however, forget to mention the drawbacks... Explain why they cause your pick to go down in FLAMES.                

OK, I'll play.

Lamar Jackson.  Strengths: if you can put aside the distraction of his obvious rushing chops, the kid has an arm.  He just flicks his wrist and the ball comes out on a rope.

I recommend the Cover1 Scouting Report in general, but here are some clips I think particularly show his chops:

1) under pressure in his own endzone, steps up into his pocket and throws where his decently-covered TE has a play pic.twitter.com/QwflieLemu

2) again, pressure surrounding him, steps up and throws pic.twitter.com/xmwqwKgmLx

3) evades a tackler in the backfield, steps up, ignores the obvious rushing lane ahaed of him and throws a bomb

Weakness: 

1) his footwork is not pretty.  He has a weird base.  I'm waiting for Buffalo716 or someone else with good knowledge to break it down, I can't, I just know it looks weird.

2) he does play under center a bit, but when he does, it's sometimes "off" in the footwork/throw timing.  Ugly.

3) if he doesn't stop putting his shoulder down when he runs and learn to slide instead, he's gonna get  NFL shredded and go down in flames.

And be out of football in 2 years.

Likewise if he goes to a team that tries to just dump him into whatever offense and doesn't work with him to develop.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

/sarcasm 

I agree with both of these assessments.

5 hours ago, LA Grant said:

Everything I've seen from him makes it seem like it's the real deal. I feel like the confidence is justified, there's no way Saquon Barkley doesn't become MVP level right away. Barkley could save the Browns single-handedly. He'd be the kind of back that you could make the insane Rickey Williams trade for, and it'd actually be worth it. Except...

Except who knows.

It's possible that he gets stuck in the quicksand blackhole of the Browns, or he gets hurt, or he's just CJ Spiller. But aaaahhhh idk man, I'm excited to see what he can do in the NFL. 

Either way. It's nice to see the so-called "running back resurgence" with the last few drafts of rookie RBs. 

Barkley would be far more sure than anything else out there but all I can think of is career ending injury when some team mortgages the farm to go get him such as it would be with the Bills.  

4 hours ago, LA Grant said:

The other thing about Barkley -- he's such a slam dunk that of course the Browns will go QB at #1, and the f---in Giants will get him. Barkley's name even fits with the Dawg Pound thing. It would be a very Browns-like to pass on a generational talent at 1, to pick whoever is the biggest bust of the top 3 at number one. 

If the Browns do take Barkley and he does pan out, that's great for everyone because the AFC North needs a shake up and the division is pretty open. If he goes to the Giants, it's better for Collinsworth, I guess... ugh

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/02/what_about_saquon_barkley_at_n.html

I don't think that Cleveland will mess it up.  I think that the Browns take Barkely at 1 then either take a QB at 4 or trade up to 2 if there is a guy they don't want to miss out on.  Not that I am a Kizer fan but they do have him to reduce any temptation to take a QB at 1.

59 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I love Josh Rosen. He is the prototype, high potential quarterback we have been searching for all of this time. The guy was pretty much bred to be a quarterback with a great release, arm strength, and football IQ. 5 star high school recruit. He is also very intelligent. I honestly think his floor is Eli Manning. 

Some drawbacks are that he is a bit skinny and needs to add ten pounds. He also has opinions, which the blue collar types don't like (this doesn't bother me but it rubs some people the wrong way). He has had injury issues. He also looks like the guy from "I Love you Beth Cooper." 

Attitude, especially in a young QB worries me a lot.  If he does not bond with the small market team and city that takes him then I think he would not be staying past his rookie contract.  It's been a while since we have seen a Jeff George or Ryan Leaf but it is possible that a toxic relationship develops in sort order forcing such a QB out early.  I know Cleveland has been put on notice but I wonder if these QB prospects have put word out to other teams as far as not taking them.  Something that I wonder if many on this board have taken into consideration.  At this point leading up to the draft there is more churning below the surface than joe fan is aware off.

I basically gave up on my draft analysis years ago. I was so pumped for the (rip) James hardy pick. And I was also huge on Limas Sweed. After that I realized I suck at this and know nothing ?? so I just read and laugh mostly now. (Especially the quarterback gurus) 

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

/sarcasm 

Rushing quarterbacks can succeed bruh. Just not ones that prefer rushing over passing, but a real athlete can gash defense when he's doing it all.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Roquan Smith is mine.  He is the 6th ranked player on my board.  He is a little smaller than the ideal NFL middle linebacker size but try finding examples on his college tape where his lack of size or strength hurts him.... they are few and far between.  I think he is going to be an outstanding, exciting, play making linebacker as a pro.  

So, he busts out because he' doesn't really have the size to compete at the next level... -Good to know!

Baker Mayfield!  

Example of one win and one loss of guys I wanted going into the draft in somewhat recent years:

WIN:  Was BIG on Wilson, was pissed when we didn't draft and took a midget WR instead.  Actually wanted Wilson in the 2nd worried he wouldn't last to our 3rd pick. 

LOSS:  Was BIG on Mallet who to me was a steal in the 2nd and highway robbery in the 3rd, thought he had Bledsoe like potential as long as off field stuff stopped.  

WIN/LOSS WASH:  Really wanted Kapernick in the 2nd who started off as a big win, then let politics and inconsistent play (albeit after the whole roster also went to crap in SF) keep him from still playing and currently is a loss.  

Best QB prospect in the draft IMO.  Killer instinct, field general with great awareness and accuracy.  

Only real negatives on him as he made some questionable off field decisions that make his character come into question and he isn't the prototypical size. 

Neither of those concern me personally...off field stuff was more immaturity, but he worked his way back.  And height isnt a concern, he's bigger than Wilson and Brees and barely smaller than Rogers...thats 3 of the top 4 QB's in the NFL right all killing it who are smaller or barely bigger than him.  So if he is a good QB, he can succeed at his height.  

GIVE ME BAKER!

I seriously think there will be SEVERAL busts in this first round.

Lamar Jackson - great talent, does awesome stuff on the field BUT I can't shake the thought that with his frame and style of play he will be broken every year. (see RG3)

Sam Darnold - Has all sorts of intangibles, blah blah, BUT his mechanics are awful and how often have you seen that get corrected in the NFL?  (see Brady Quinn)

Sequon Barkley - great RB talent across the board BUT didn't PSU give us equally gifted Ki-Jana Carter and Blair Thomas...  (he faded against the better competition later in the year btw)

Allen - Great physical gifts BUT lousy completion % and how often does that get corrected in the NFL (see Kyle Boller)

Mayfield - winner, big numbers, Heisman, BUT too short and played in a friendly non-NFL system. (a somewhat better Manziel)

Rosen - "most NFL ready QB in the class" BUT wasn't what they said about Peterman??  Also his attitude stinks and he doesn't care about football (the next Ryan Leaf!)

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I like how Ward always turns around to track, and make plays on the ball... Kid can't be out-worked... 5' 10" 191lbs is small, but Vontae is only 5' 11"... Most mocks I've seen have Denzel between 12-16...  Lotta talent there.

7 hours ago, LA Grant said:

It's the tree-trunk legs... Reminds me of Trent Richardson... SO MUCH hype and high expectations... Barkley's got BUST stamped all over him.

23 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

I seriously think there will be SEVERAL busts in this first round.

Lamar Jackson - great talent, does awesome stuff on the field BUT I can't shake the thought that with his frame and style of play he will be broken every year. (see RG3)

Sam Darnold - Has all sorts of intangibles, blah blah, BUT his mechanics are awful and how often have you seen that get corrected in the NFL?  (see Brady Quinn)

Sequon Barkley - great RB talent across the board BUT didn't PSU give us equally gifted Ki-Jana Carter and Blair Thomas...  (he faded against the better competition later in the year btw)

Allen - Great physical gifts BUT lousy completion % and how often does that get corrected in the NFL (see Kyle Boller)

Mayfield - winner, big numbers, Heisman, BUT too short and played in a friendly non-NFL system. (a somewhat better Manziel)

Rosen - "most NFL ready QB in the class" BUT wasn't what they said about Peterman??  Also his attitude stinks and he doesn't care about football (the next Ryan Leaf!)

Agree with your post in general.  Blair Thomas and Ki-Jana Carter are in the past but my memory is telling me that they did not have great supporting casts where they wound up in the NFL.  I still think of the field that you listed Barkley has a lower chance of busting than the others.  

8 hours ago, LA Grant said:

Except who knows.

The next Ki-Jana Carter.

Edited by Rico

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

baker friggin Mayfield baby!

why? becuz his highlights make me pop like 10 boners everytime I watch them.

drawbacks/flaws? NONE.

Dude, I love me some Mayfield, but you got to try harder on that drawbacks/flaws thing.

I see three:

1) short.  short QB aren't drafted in the 1st often, because they do struggle

0 2) public clap-back to many slights/perceived slights.  can he learn to stay within his own head and tune it out?

3) question on how consistently he sees the whole field and finds passing lanes vs rolling out.

I realize we have a need at DT now, but doesn't it suck?

We just paid someone to take away our all-pro DT that cost us a 3rd overall draft pick....for the privilege of turning around and burning a high draft pick on someone else in an attempt to replace him.

See Dog chasing tail.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dude, I love me some Mayfield, but you got to try harder on that drawbacks/flaws thing.

I see three:

1) short.  short QB aren't drafted in the 1st often, because they do struggle

0 2) public clap-back to many slights/perceived slights.  can he learn to stay within his own head and tune it out?

3) question on how consistently he sees the whole field and finds passing lanes vs rolling out.

well I was joking around. he obviously has flaws. but I would hate to pass on a star becuz of a couple of inches. and as for the slights? should any buffalo fan care about a public intox? haha.