Vic C & Greg Gabriel - Don't see Bills moving up in RD1

Reed83HOF

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

If this was the 90's I might listen to what Vic had to say. He's been out of touch since coming back

Heh...I hope he is here as well...23 years without a QB is kinda sorta a big issue. I would like to see aggressiveness and decisiveness is getting what we feel is the best one and just just sitting there hoping for someone to fall...

However, this is the Bills, so I am expecting to draft a CB or a C/G/RB with our 2 first rounders....

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:
Greg Gabriel @greggabe 4m4 minutes ago
My friend @viccarucci has similar feelings to me when it comes to Bills moving up in first. They won’t. Vic was just talking about this on the NFLNetwork

...just a speculative hunch (probably wrong), but don't see McBeane investing major draft capital in ONE player.......may not be any correlation as to how he thinks, but he allegedly had a lengthy meeting with Congdon, Alex Smith's agent and probably learned the general parameters of "a deal" which scared him off.....a substantial investment in ONE player....bet he goes for "quality body count" with draft capital and FA dollars versus "all in" ......

• Like (+1) 1

There is no way to know what the Bills will do.  The Bills don’t even know what they will do at this point.  It’s always an issue of the right player being available for the right deal.  

What I do think is likely, (as though I have any better insight) is that the Bills are not going to bankrupt their future by taking a wild gamble to move up in round 1.  None of the QB’s in this draft are considered “locks.”

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, disappointing return on E. Kane trade and now this lovely little thought.  Fun times.  Fortunately, I don't think Vic has a clue.

I'm a Rangers fan (Hate that we are rebuilding, but like the returns we got). Hopefully Beane can pull some moves off like that...

Sabres took the best they got, but it was underwhelming to say the least....

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

There is no way to know what the Bills will do.  The Bills don’t even know what they will do at this point.  It’s always an issue of the right player being available for the right deal.  

What I do think is likely, (as though I have any better insight) is that the Bills are not going to bankrupt their future by taking a wild gamble to move up in round 1.  None of the QB’s in this draft are considered “locks.”

If they were considered locks, no one would even trade out of their draft position, since we all have the same need...

Obviously you must a strong enough conviction to move up for a top prospect QB, next year's class looks to be horrendous from what I hear/read, that leaves hopes & scraps until 2020. It is much easier to fill our plethora of other holes in FA and other drafts. Granted this is all speculation right now...

I think much depends on who is available, and at what point. I could easily see them moving up for one of the top 4 QBs, if they are there around the bottom end of the top ten. I don't especially see them using up many picks to do so.

3 minutes ago, Buddo said:

I think much depends on who is available, and at what point. I could easily see them moving up for one of the top 4 QBs, if they are there around the bottom end of the top ten. I don't especially see them using up many picks to do so.

....in my view, you are certainly one of the upper echelon football purists here, so here is my question.....so will the "much acclaimed" upcoming combine dramatically alter your assessments of QB draftees?...if so, which drills are most likely to sway your assessments?..........

10 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

It would be so Billsy to take a OG/DT or DB in round 1 i dont even wanna go there.

Missing out on a top heavy QB draft when you have ammunition to move up and draft.  Gross.

Depends. 21 and 22 are a kinda sweet spot. You can trade up a bit, maybe use one of those a second and next years something something.
But they can pick up some very good positional focused players, and fill holes needed now or soon to come. and overall I feel that is more effective this year considering where the Bills are.

JMO if Bills are going hard for  Franchise QB ?

I think they go FA. 

Still draft one this year. Just don't go leaping Tall Buildings to get there please.

This is the year we learn about purely Beane, and his Team. I look forward to watching this unfold !

Go Bills !

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Depends. 21 and 22 are a kinda sweet spot. You can trade up a bit, maybe use one of those a second and next years something something.
But they can pick up some very good positional focused players, and fill holes needed now or soon to come. and overall I feel that is more effective this year considering where the Bills are.

I think they go FA. 

Still draft one this year. Just don't go leaping Tall Buildings to get there please.

This is the year we learn about purely Beane, and his Team. I look forward to watching this unfold !

Go Bills !

Problem is franchise QBs don't hit FA...Keenum, Bridgwater, and even Cousins don't scream franchise QBs to me....

The question(s) then become(s) can you identify him in the draft & do you have the stones to move up and get him?

19 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

It would be so Billsy to take a OG/DT or DB in round 1 i dont even wanna go there.

Missing out on a top heavy QB draft when you have ammunition to move up and draft.  Gross.

I don't think this class is as good as people think, it could turn out that way but Darnold turned the ball over a lot, Rosen's character has been likened to Jay Cutler, Josh Allen only completed 56% of his passes. I think we should wait till RD2. I don't think we should get emotionally invested into the 4th or 5th best guy, we made that mistake with Losman. Eli, Rivers and Big Ben go 1, 2 and 3, then Buffalo burned a 1st on Losman. If it's not there, it's not there.

Edited by NewDayBills
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Problem is franchise QBs don't hit FA...Keenum, Bridgwater, and even Cousins don't scream franchise QBs to me....

The question(s) then become(s) can you identify him in the draft & do you have the stones to move up and get him?

It a fair argument.
 But i think you can find a Foles,  Keenum etc and can have him fit  in your system.Or feel strongly enough you can easily adjust to him with the Off Players you have most nearly.

Franchise does not mean elite for me. Means a guy they build a team around.
I am not wise enough to pick that guys for the Bills.

But Cousins might fit. Not my choice though due to $ to get him .imo.

But i do agree you keep drafting every year.  trying to be as educated and hoping to be damn lucky and get that QB.
Bills are still building the team and i predict they will not go nuts to get Darnold or Rosen or Jackson ( whom I hope falls a ton )

11 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I think they go FA. 

Go Bills !

This is pretty much what I am thinking.  The team overall has a lot of holes to fill. Can't see them giving up a bunch of draft picks to move up. With all of the FA QBs available this year, it's much more likely that one of them falls to Buffalo anyway. Other teams are not going to trade too far up to land a QB either.  Management doesn't really need to gamble to get what they want.  Plus this QB class isn't coming off the board all that quick anyway. This class is way over hyped.

Just now, Rockinon said:

This is pretty much what I am thinking.  The team overall has a lot of holes to fill. Can't see them giving up a bunch of draft picks to move up. With all of the FA QBs available this year, it's much more likely that one of them falls to Buffalo anyway. Other teams are not going to trade too far up to land a QB either.  Management doesn't really need to gamble to get what they want.  Plus this QB class isn't coming off the board all that quick anyway. This class is way over hyped.

Way over hyped, but next year's crop looks unappealing.  When do we strike???

7 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

To further your point, blowing draft capital on one position is how you end up like the Browns:

2007 - Brady Quinn, 1st Round

2010 - Colt McCoy, 3rd Round

2012 - Brandon Weeden, 1st Round

2014 - Johnny Manziel, 1st Round

2016 - Cody Kessler, 1st Round

2017 - DiShone Kizer, 2nd Round

2017 - A.J. McCarron (2nd and 3rd Round 2018 Picks)

That's 4 first Round QB's, two 2nd Round QB's, and a 3rd Round QB in 10 years.

Browns record for the last 10 years:

2007 - 10/6

2008 - 4/12

2009 - 5/11

2010 - 5/11

2011 - 4/12

2012 - 5/11

2013 - 4/12

2014 - 7/9

2015 - 3/13

2016 - 1/15

2017 - Perfect Season

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Young34 said:

To further your point, blowing draft capital on one position is how you end up like the Browns:

2007 - 10/6

2008 - 4/12

2009 - 5/11

2010 - 5/11

2011 - 4/12

2012 - 5/11

2013 - 4/12

2014 - 7/9

2015 - 3/13

2016 - 1/15

2017 - Perfect Season

Or you could blow your draft capital and end up like Philadelphia 

• Haha (+1) 2

Unless the Bills can move up and get THEIR GUY (I assume that's Rosen), there is no need to move up.

Just today, we saw Trapasso posting his mock that has the Bills moving up for Mason Freakin' Rudolph. I mean, what the hell? Even Mayock doesn't see Rudolph as a first round talent.

If the Bills move up just to get whatever QB is left, that will be a huge, huge mistake. 

You move up ONLY to get THE GUY. Because that guy is going to cost you 2 or 3 first round picks, plus some. You don't waste all of that on "whoever is left over."

If the Bills can't get their guy, they should sit tight, and then draft for position...or even trade back with one pick. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Touché

1 minute ago, Domdab99 said:

Unless the Bills can move up and get THEIR GUY (I assume that's Rosen), there is no need to move up.

Just today, we saw Trapasso posting his mock that has the Bills moving up for Mason Freakin' Rudolph. I mean, what the hell? Even Mayock doesn't see Rudolph as a first round talent.

If the Bills move up just to get whatever QB is left, that will be a huge, huge mistake. 

You move up ONLY to get THE GUY. Because that guy is going to cost you 2 or 3 first round picks, plus some. You don't waste all of that on "whoever is left over."

If the Bills can't get their guy, they should sit tight, and then draft for position...or even trade back with one pick. 

True! 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

It's true, Eagles jumped and it paid off. My point is that some people claim to draft a QB in high year after year until you hit gold. That eats up a TON of draft capital, and ends up weakening teams at other essential positions. Like the Browns, drafted a QB in the first 3 rounds 7 out of 10 years, and sucked for nearly a decade as a result.

15 minutes ago, Young34 said:

2007 - 10/6

2008 - 4/12

2009 - 5/11

2010 - 5/11

2011 - 4/12

2012 - 5/11

2013 - 4/12

2014 - 7/9

2015 - 3/13

2016 - 1/15

2017 - Perfect Season

The browns drafted Kessler in rd 1?  The browns have traded a 2nd and 3rd for McCarron?  I’m SO confused.  

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Nor was Peyton Manning. No such thing as a lock. 

It wouldn't be a wild gamble whatsoever. It would be a thoughtful, intelligent, considered gamble. If they do it.

My guess is they will if they can, if the one or two guys that they are - you'd have to guess - specifically interested in are available. They likely got those picks specifically to get a QB if the situation was right. They won't be bankrupting their future even if they're wrong.

1 hour ago, Rockinon said:

You know we say this every year ?  :P
I have no idea which QB fits best where.

Bills are transitioning offensively to some degree with Daboll. I do not know what the vision is.

But i would lean toward a focus on the run game again this season.

Ty for the note. Good post