Nick Foles is going nowhere...

LabattBlue

8 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Why would the Eagles even entertain trading him?

1 - He just proved in the playoffs how valuable an above average backup is.

2 - He is on a team friendly deal for next year.

3 - Most important...will Wentz be ready for the 2018 season, and even if he does start in the opener,  how long before he is 100%, or what if he has a setback?

Because his value will never be higher and they will lose him for nothing after next year regardless if they don't.

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Because his value will never be higher and they will lose him for nothing after next year regardless if they don't.

I agree that they should trade him given their situation with negative cap space (of which he takes up 7+ mill) and only  1 draft pick in the first 4 rounds. I can understand though why they would be apprehensive since Wentz’s timetable is up in the air. It’s short term vs long term strategy. They may be ok to trade wentz with his value high and sign another capable backup in FA - Keenum? trade for TT? We give them TT and a 2nd? They would need to restructure his contract though. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

sam braford got traded for a first a couple years ago didn't he?

if Bradford can go for a first, a team that loses a qb over the summer will give up at least a first for foles

and philly cant pass that up

this is assuming wentz is healthy obviously

4 minutes ago, Process said:

sam braford got traded for a first a couple years ago didn't he?

if Bradford can go for a first, a team that loses a qb over the summer will give up at least a first for foles

and philly cant pass that up

this is assuming wentz is healthy obviously

I think that is an option as well (waiting for a TC injury) but then you are still tied up with his cap hit throughout this upcoming FA and the draft pick won’t be until 2019. But that seems like something they could do to once they know if they  have Wentz.

Edited by YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

3 - Most important...will Wentz be ready for the 2018 season, and even if he does start in the opener,  how long before he is 100%, or what if he has a setback?

Only one reason...magnanimity towards a player.  Not something frequently seen in professional sports or professions in general.

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

A tad extreme....  

I have 0 interest in Foles for a 1st round pick.  I don't think anyone really does.  The Free agent class will hit a lot of the spots, and the ones that don't will look to the draft.  So they only way to trade him and get something for 2018 would be to trade him when you can.  

Drafting in the 1st gets you 5 years of cost control, trading for Foles gets you one.  

Im not advicating it just showing a logical trade scenerio that Philly would do.  There is a larger amount of teams that need Qbs than available starting Qbs available.  A team that needs a Qb may very well pony up for foles.  

i think a sure fire trade is no. 22 and cordy. peters has been in the league going into his 14th year. he should be making at least as much as cordy....cordy's cap space would come in handy. i myself do not think glenn is going to be able to start playing 16 game seasons and we have dawkins.

philly would be better off and can have johnson at rt.  maybe we could also get a player in the trade..like bradham.

if there was a way i could do something with tyrod in a trade, i would consider that as well, but i can't see where that would work with philly.

Edited by billsredneck1

9 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Foles is worth more to the Eagles in 2018 as an insurance policy than what they are going to get in a trade.

Other than his one miracle year under Chip Kelly(27 TD's and 2 INT's), and a couple of really good playoff games this year, he has put up 34 TD's and 27 INT's(career numbers minus the year previously mentioned).  So how much is a team going to give up(in a trade and then a new contract) for this soon to be 30 year old?

I would not trade much for him.  He had one good season and a few good games at the best time after Wentz was injured.

Chances are high that he returns to his average-at-best self with extended playing time.

I don’t think that it would be wise to trade for Foles, unless the price is a 3rd round pick or later.  Alex Smith is FAR more accomplished and he cost only a 3rd and a non-stellar CB.

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

i think a sure fire trade is no. 22 and cordy. peters has been in the league going into his 14th year. he should be making at least as much as cordy....cordy's cap space would come in handy. i myself do not think glenn is going to be able to start playing 16 game seasons and we have dawkins.

philly would be better off and can have johnson at rt.  maybe we could also get a player in the trade..like bradham.

if there was a way i could do something with tyrod in a trade, i would consider that as well, but i can't see where that would work with philly.

Halapoulivaati Vaitai came in for Peters and played really well.

He's a 5th rounder in 2016 and costs them nothing.

I was thinking the same thing you were about player trades and Philly dumping cap hits.................unfortunately I don't think they will be wanting Cordy Glenn. 

Peters is 12 million of cap with 6 million dead on his last real year of the contract.

There is a team option year on him in 2019.

3 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

Bradham is a FA. 

Philly is $9M in the red on the Cap this year and short on draft picks.  One of their motivations to trade Foles (if they are motivated) would be to shed cap and gain picks.  They are not going to trade Foles for a high-priced veteran player.

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Lets put it this way, I would absolutely fire any GM that had a #1 draft pick on the table then lost the QB to free agency and received nothing

That a dumb GM.

I am sure the Eagles would love to keep him, won't happen

What would you do to a GM that traded a QB who just won you a Superbowl, while Mr Franchise QB is still recovering from an injury, potentially leaving your team with 0 proven QB?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

2 hours ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

If Philly said “Foles for Shady shraight up” would you take it? 

Yes. Foles has more years and Buffalo needs a Qb.  Try to trade Taylor for a rb.   But with all their Rbs no way they do that. 

After everything has been said and done..odds are Taylor will most likely be our starter for next years opener.Beane is not going to overpay for a FA and he's not going to sink a group of picks to move up for a qb..he already said he has some major holes to fill.Meaning WR,DE,DT,RT,RG,MLB and OLB.

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Tyrod has NEVER had anything close to a horrible season.

Foles was horrible in 2015 but also a huge disappointment in 2014........he was in Chip Kelly's doghouse before he got hurt.   59% completion 13 TD's and 10 INT.    The career putrid Mark Sanchez filled in for him for half of the season and played better than Foles.    Let's not pretend that 2015 was the only bad look.:lol:

He's most comfortable in the simple RPO offense but he can run hot and cold even then.

Yeah, Foles has looked very good less than half of his career, regardless of the coach. But very few QBs are consistently very good. It's tough to say whether the light has really come on for him, which is quite possible, or he's just the equivalent of a super streaky shooter in hoops or goal scorer in hockey.

43 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

After everything has been said and done..odds are Taylor will most likely be our starter for next years opener.Beane is not going to overpay for a FA and he's not going to sink a group of picks to move up for a qb..he already said he has some major holes to fill.Meaning WR,DE,DT,RT,RG,MLB and OLB.

Im usually not overly negative about the team but this would be “same old Bills” to me and would drain any enthusiasm i had for the next season. I admire the dedication of the Bills optimists on this board who continue to  tirelessly defend  Tyrod in every thread. I don’t get it but it’s fascinating. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I would not trade much for him.  He had one good season and a few good games at the best time after Wentz was injured.

Chances are high that he returns to his average-at-best self with extended playing time.

I don’t think that it would be wise to trade for Foles, unless the price is a 3rd round pick or later.  Alex Smith is FAR more accomplished and he cost only a 3rd and a non-stellar CB.

I would based on his playoff performances alone. A QB who is clutch in the postseason is worth FAR more than a guy who plays great during the season and sucks when he gets to the playoffs.  Its much hardee to find a guy who excels in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Foles was horrible in 2015 but also a huge disappointment in 2014........he was in Chip Kelly's doghouse before he got hurt.   59% completion 13 TD's and 10 INT.    The career putrid Mark Sanchez filled in for him for half of the season and played better than Foles.    Let's not pretend that 2015 was the only bad look.:lol:

He's most comfortable in the simple RPO offense but he can run hot and cold even then.

Taylor never had anything close to a great season either that's what game managers are. If u think being 30th every yr at passing isn't bad then i guess we just see the position in a different way.  I want my QB to throw for yds not run for them. 

3 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I'm guessing u don't think we have a major hole at QB.  QB is the mother of all holes for us its been that way since Kelly. As long as mangament keeps putting other positions ahead of QB we will be a middling organization. 

I feel like this thread will be bumped in a few weeks to a few months once Foles is traded.

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Tyrod was horrible this year.

5 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Taylor never had anything close to a great season either that's what game managers are. If u think being 30th every yr at passing isn't bad then i guess we just see the position in a different way.  I want my QB to throw for yds not run for them. 

Just remember Baldo believes the only reason Taylor wasn’t drafted in the first round was because of race.  He defends Taylor no matter how bad of an argument it is.

• Like (+1) 1

Btw today i was thinking bout Foles vs Cousins and the benefits of going after one or the other. The price for Foles is a high rd pk so we would essentially be making him our answer for 5, 6 more yrs that would also mean he's gonna get an extension at about 22 to 25 mil per season. With that being said I'd rather just pay Cousins and not have to give up any pks . 

20 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I think the Eagles and Foles talk and together decide what they want to do.  Obviously the Eagles think very highly of Foles and my guess is if he has a desire to try and start again - they will work out a trade.  If Foles says he loves his role and wants to be in Philly for his teammates- they keep him around.

It is a business first and foremost, but I think there are some coaches that care and listen and if a guy is a great teammate- they work things out to benefit both parties.

Foles has shown himself to be a good leader and teammate and I think that is valuable- so if he wants a shot - especially if Reich takes the Indy job - maybe you make a trade and Indy uses their top pick for a QB and sells off Luck for future draft capital. 

9 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

peterman would win the job in camp.

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think if they do trade him, they will try to do right by him in that it would be somewhere he wants to go and he’s on board. I mean, he did win them the SB. 

and what better place than buffalo.....

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Im usually not overly negative about the team but this would be “same old Bills” to me and would drain any enthusiasm i had for the next season. I admire the dedication of the Bills optimists on this board who continue to  tirelessly defend  Tyrod in every thread. I don’t get it but it’s fascinating. 

it's nauseating....like two years of ej being handcuffed by marrone and hackett posts.....same posters.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bradham is a FA. 

Philly is $9M in the red on the Cap this year and short on draft picks.  One of their motivations to trade Foles (if they are motivated) would be to shed cap and gain picks.  They are not going to trade Foles for a high-priced veteran player.

What would you do to a GM that traded a QB who just won you a Superbowl, while Mr Franchise QB is still recovering from an injury, potentially leaving your team with 0 proven QB?

Bottom line, Foles will be gone after the 2018 season, holding him as a backup must be worth a #1 draft pick.....won't happen

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I feel like this thread will be bumped in a few weeks to a few months once Foles is traded.

Just remember Baldo believes the only reason Taylor wasn’t drafted in the first round was because of race.  He defends Taylor no matter how bad of an argument it is.

Care to expand at all? By what metric or measure (hopefully multiple)? What is your cutoff in said measure for horrible?

45 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Bottom line, Foles will be gone after the 2018 season, holding him as a backup must be worth a #1 draft pick.....won't happen

Bottom line, you didn't answer my question.  

-Your team just won the Superbowl

-Your Franchise QB starter tears an ACL and LCL in Nov and has surgery in Dec, an injury that normally has a 9 month timeline for athletes to return to play, but 12 months to return to full strength and effectiveness

-The risk of reinjury is high for athletes who rush back

You've specified you fired the GM who doesn't trade him.

What do you do to a GM who trades your superbowl-winning backup, leaving you potentially with 0 QB next year?

Bottom line, the Eagles are in a bit of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, and there are arguments to be made on both sides.  The Eagles have shown willingness to do whatever pleases them at the QB position without regard to pundits and armchair GMs who call them crazy for investing as much at QB as they have, so I imagine they'll continue to do what makes sense to them, even if it doesn't make sense to you.

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think the Eagles and Foles talk and together decide what they want to do.  Obviously the Eagles think very highly of Foles and my guess is if he has a desire to try and start again - they will work out a trade.  If Foles says he loves his role and wants to be in Philly for his teammates- they keep him around.

It is a business first and foremost, but I think there are some coaches that care and listen and if a guy is a great teammate- they work things out to benefit both parties.

Foles has shown himself to be a good leader and teammate and I think that is valuable- so if he wants a shot - especially if Reich takes the Indy job - maybe you make a trade and Indy uses their top pick for a QB and sells off Luck for future draft capital.

I think the Eagles may seek Foles input, but the trade (or not) will be ultimately driven by comparing Foles undoubted value to the team vs. the team's need for cap space and draft picks.

They do need to somehow create $9M of cap space by March 14th, and trading Foles would get them halfway there.  Of course, he could renegotiate if he wants to stay, too.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

62%  14 TD and 4 INT and  a QB rating of 89 and game managing a team to the playoffs is "horrible" now?:lol:

Of course it's not, Creeplebees.:rolleyes:

I get that some of you are emotional and having a tantrum about the topic..........but you are just abjectly wrong with hyperbole like "Tyrod was horrible this year".

It's a bad look if you hope engage in RATIONAL football topic discussions at a point in the future when you are back on your meds. 

As for me defending Taylor regardless of the accuracy of the take........not hardly.......there has been no greater champion of upgrading the QB position on TSW than I.......while you were nursing a groin on BBMB (Teef's groin)....I have been a staunch proponent of upgrading the QB position by taking a QB in round 1 every year for the past decade.

Always be upgrading the QB position.

33 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Care to expand at all? By what metric or measure (hopefully multiple)? What is your cutoff in said measure for horrible?

This is what I’m measuring this on.

- Roughly 9 games with 1 TD or less.

- 29 total offensive TD’s

-Towards the bottom on the league in passing.

- Identifying the open WR downfield and relying on throwing to RB’s coming out of the backfield.

- Ball placement issues.

- Taking way too many sacks simply because he held the ball too long.

Dennison was a major issue of course...it’s not all Tyrods fault.  Even after our running game got going in the middle of the year, we still couldn’t do anything in the air.

On 2/8/2018 at 12:08 AM, LabattBlue said:

Bottom line is it could go either way. He'd be very useful to the Eagles this year if Wentz is injured again. And this is probably the peak of his value, so they would get maximum value for trading him.

Both make sense. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

62%  14 TD and 4 INT and  a QB rating of 89 and game managing a team to the playoffs is "horrible" now?:lol:

I get that some of you are emotional and having a tantrum about the topic..........but you are just abjectly wrong with hyperbole like "Tyrod was horrible this year".

It's a bad look if you hope engage in RATIONAL football topic discussions at a point in the future when you are back on your meds. 

As for me defending Taylor regardless of the accuracy of the take........not hardly.......there has been no greater champion of upgrading the QB position on TSW than I.......while you were nursing a groin on BBMB (Teef's groin)....I have been a staunch proponent of upgrading the QB position by taking a QB in round 1 every year for the past decade.

Oh god here comes Baldo with his typical 12 year old response “nursing Teefs groin”.  Back on your meds?  You’re an adult right?  

You made the argument he wasn’t a 1st round pick because of race.  That’s what I’m talking about.  Yeah that’s rationale.

14 TD’s is not horrible?

It would be very difficult to have a below 60% completion percentage if you’re constantly throwing to RB coming out of the backfield.  That’s impressive to you?

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is what I’m measuring this on.

- Roughly 9 games with 1 TD or less.

- 29 total offensive TD’s

-Towards the bottom on the league in passing.

- Identifying the open WR downfield and relying on throwing to RB’s coming out of the backfield.

- Ball placement issues.

- Taking way too many sacks simply because he held the ball too long.

Dennison was a major issue of course...it’s not all Tyrods fault.  Even after our running game got going in the middle of the year, we still couldn’t do anything in the air.

Some of that sounds like the entire offense, not Tyrod specifically, but idk.

25th in YPA

27th in TD/G (includes partial games)

4th in TD/TO

27th in YPT

25th in TD%

18th in Passer Rating

22nd in ANY/A

23rd in my rating system

That's his numbers this year against his peers (37 qualifying QBs). Mostly on a per game or per attempt basis as it includes folks like Watson, Rodgers, and Garoppolo who all started less than 8 games. None of them scream horrible to me. They don't scream good, and they are certainly lower than they were in previous years, but horrible feels like an exaggeration.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Oh god here comes Baldo with his typical 12 year old response “nursing Teefs groin”.  Back on your meds?  You’re an adult right?  

You made the argument he wasn’t a 1st round pick because of race.  That’s what I’m talking about.  Yeah that’s rationale.

14 TD’s is not horrible?

It would be very difficult to have a below 60% completion percentage if you’re constantly throwing to RB coming out of the backfield.  That’s impressive to you?

The same people that crucify Tyrod for 14 TDs prop Teddy Bridgewater up like a yuuuge upgrade when his stats are the same or worse in every catagory. Thats what hes on.

We kno Tyrod isnt a world beater and were drafting a QB high in the 1st but, half the bridge QBs some want to replace him with are worse,  significantly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

you already said it

Bottom line, the Eagles are in a bit of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, and there are arguments to be made on both sides.  The Eagles have shown willingness to do whatever pleases them at the QB position without regard to pundits and armchair GMs who call them crazy for investing as much at QB as they have, so I imagine they'll continue to do what makes sense to them, even if it doesn't make sense to you.

28 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

cherrypicked stats with heavy bias in his favour worships Tyrod

watching him play tends to diminish his godlike work on the real playing field

42 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

U were proud when u posted that 14-4 stat. 14-4 was good in the early 70s when Bob Griese was throwing the ball 12 times a gm.  Lol

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

1)Oh god here comes Baldo with his typical 12 year old response “nursing Teefs groin”.  Back on your meds?  You’re an adult right?  

2)You made the argument he wasn’t a 1st round pick because of race.  That’s what I’m talking about.  Yeah that’s rationale.

3)14 TD’s is not horrible?

1) My bad.....I suppose in retrospect you opening with a misguided bald-shaming nickname in response to my post......apparently to try to discredit my opinion because you think bald people are the intellectual lesser of folically advantaged folks.......well that was very civil of you, Creeplebees.   I clearly should have responded in a more mature manner rather than busting your delicate balls.   How callous of me.:lol:

2) I never said Tyrod Taylor wasn't a 1st round pick because of race..........nothing even close to that:doh:.........total fabrication borne of your emotional distress regarding Tyrod and my upsettingly rational takes on his play.    Feel free to provide the source material for this accusation though.:lol:

3) No, 14 TD's and only 4 INT in 14 starts is not "horrible".    Even in the dour context of "Dennison/Zay as WR1/Jauron Ball" it's not "horrible".     Franchise QB Matt Ryan only threw 20 TD's and 12 INT this year....with Julio Jones and Mo Sanu and Taylor Gabriel......was he "horrible"?     I know some of you don't follow the league closely but the NFL is seeing a regression wrt passing TD totals.    In 2015 11 QB's threw for 30 or more TD's.........in 2016 that number dropped to 5.......and this year that number dropped to 3.    That's significant.   Defenses are adapting.    They are getting faster and better in coverage........and offenses are going back to the ground more so some passing totals are getting muted.   

16 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

They can't afford his salary, they are over the cap as of now.  Bradham is a free agent.  Peters will be cut.

13 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Yes. Foles has more years and Buffalo needs a Qb.  Try to trade Taylor for a rb.   But with all their Rbs no way they do that. 

I was just saying it because there was a post about how the eagles wanted him back. Im not suggesting it or think its possibly going to happen. 

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

cherrypicked stats with heavy bias in his favour worships Tyrod

watching him play tends to diminish his godlike work on the real playing field

Are people STILL defending TT? My god man......

4 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Btw today i was thinking bout Foles vs Cousins and the benefits of going after one or the other. The price for Foles is a high rd pk so we would essentially be making him our answer for 5, 6 more yrs that would also mean he's gonna get an extension at about 22 to 25 mil per season. With that being said I'd rather just pay Cousins and not have to give up any pks . 

This is zeroing in on you for a viewpoint several people have expressed, but I think it's worth pointing out:

->the mindset that a high round pick = committment for 5-6 years

The Bills have got to move on from that mindset.  To find a QB, picking a QB in Rd 1 and 2 (or trading a 1-2 rd pick for one) can no longer mean a 5-6 year commitment before trying to upgrade.  Start with servicable, upgrade to good, and then keep trying to upgrade to great should be the mindset.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) My bad.....I suppose in retrospect you opening with a misguided bald-shaming nickname in response to my post......apparently to try to discredit my opinion because you think bald people are the intellectual lesser of folically advantaged folks.......well that was very civil of you, Creeplebees.   I clearly should have responded in a more mature manner rather than busting your delicate balls.   How callous of me.:lol:

2) I never said Tyrod Taylor wasn't a 1st round pick because of race..........nothing even close to that:doh:.........total fabrication borne of your emotional distress regarding Tyrod and my upsettingly rational takes on his play.    Feel free to provide the source material for this accusation though.:lol:

3) No, 14 TD's and only 4 INT in 14 starts is not "horrible".    Even in the dour context of "Dennison/Zay as WR1/Jauron Ball" it's not "horrible".     Franchise QB Matt Ryan only threw 20 TD's and 12 INT this year....with Julio Jones and Mo Sanu and Taylor Gabriel......was he "horrible"?     I know some of you don't follow the league closely but the NFL is seeing a regression wrt passing TD totals.    In 2015 11 QB's threw for 30 or more TD's.........in 2016 that number dropped to 5.......and this year that number dropped to 3.    That's significant.   Defenses are adapting.    They are getting faster and better in coverage........and offenses are going back to the ground more so some passing totals are getting muted.   

Geezus.

Didnt day you need to be the most mature but you always reference balls and genitals when making fun of someone.  That’s a 12 year old.

Yes, you did use race as a reason Tyrod wasn’t a 1st round pick.  You argued with several people about it.  Do I need to bring that thread back up?

LOL...so a two year decline in TD passes means the defenses are getting it?  How about the 3 years prior to 2015?  That doesn’t factor into the pattern or you just use a very small sample size to think you proved a point?  If your pattern indicates anything than 2014 would have had more than 11 and 2013 would as well.  Guess what...they weren’t.  2015 was just a great year...that’s it.

So I guess you’re expecting less than 3 next year LOL.

Oh Baldo....