Nick Foles is going nowhere...

LabattBlue

35 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Why would the Eagles even entertain trading him?

1 - He just proved in the playoffs how valuable an above average backup is.

2 - He is on a team friendly deal for next year.

3 - Most important...will Wentz be ready for the 2018 season, and even if he does start in the opener,  how long before he is 100%, or what if he has a setback?

Why did Frank Reich stay in Buffalo after leading the Bills to the Super Bowl?

• Like (+1) 1

I think most are concerned about Wentz and that it was a late in the year injury and he would be ready in Training camp.  So they would be more willing to trade Foles once Wentz is healthy.  So at the trade deadline they would be all for it.  With the mindset Pederson and the roster that is constructed, I think a perennial back up could start the season 5-3 or 4-4.  I think they would be inclined to accept an offer it it includes a 1st rd pick in 2018.  Sell high.  

30 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

3 - Most important...will Wentz be ready for the 2018 season, and even if he does start in the opener,  how long before he is 100%, or what if he has a setback?

I agree completely with everything you say.  You could also point out that

4) if the Eagles do deal Foles, and Wentz isn't ready, or plays and reinjures a la Bradford, they will look like fools and demoralize the team, and

5) Foles seems like a humble guy whose "attitude is gratitude" and who won't cause a QB controversy

On the other hand, there's this: 

1) The Eagles are $9.3M in the red on cap space.  They've got to clear something like $12M cap just to meet league rules and sign rookies

2) The Eagles have 14 impending FA and probably would like to keep 3-5 of them

3) The Eagles are still short of draft picks with which to replace departing players, owing to the Wentz trade up

Trading Foles would give the Eagles:

1) $5.2M of cap savings, about 1/3 of the way to what they probably need

2) A high draft pick with which to backfill FA departures

3) Freedom from any potential QB controversy - it's not unheard of, even for humble guys who are also competitive professional athletes, after success on a huge stage. If Foles is still there and Wentz is fully recovered, but stumbles in performance....expect there to be a media kerfluffle if nothing else.

• Like (+1) 1

The Eagles probably think they'll make another run at the SB and Foles is a great insurance policy.  I heard on SiriusXM's "Moving The Chains" that the combined price of Foles and Wentz is $14M, which is very cheap for two QBs of that caliber.  Philly may think this outweighs trading Foles and risk him leaving in FA after next season.

• Like (+1) 2

I think that the Eagles would entertain trading him because they only have 1 pick in the first 100 picks - and its # 32.  After that its late 4th round for their next pick.  2 of their starting LB's are UFAs, and they're pretty much at the cap.  They can carve out some space by cutting peters, torrey smith,  and maybe curry or graham, and plug barnett into the starting lineup.  Just have to keep looking forward, and with 1 pick in the first 3 rounds you can't add a ton of talent or depth.  

Their WRs and RBs are solid, and they have their young QB on the affordable deal for 2 more years, and their O-line is good even without peters.  Key is on defense with getting the right LBs to replace Bradham and Ellerbe, and hoping for improvement in the secondary.  Their pass rush is awesome and Cox is just a beast in the middle.  He disrupts everything on that side of the ball.

15 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

It’s highly likely Foles will get traded. He has one year left on his contact. Then he becomes a free agent. If the Eagle put franchise tag on him they will have to pay him like 22 million to keep him for one year. So if there smart they will try and get a 1st round pick for him and get a different QB to back up Carson Wense. So they really have to do something. It sort of like the same problem the patriots had. They could not keep Jimmy G because they would have had to franchise him. So they had to make a trade to get something for him. In my opinion the Bills should trade one of the 1st round picks and go get this guy and give him a long term contract. He is around 28 years old. The QB situation is now solved and they did it by giving up only one draft pick. What’s not to like about that. 

i'm with you on this....but it may take a bit more such as a player.  so, say cousins goes elsewhere, a team like az may be willing to give up their 1st. the big difference is that we have better options if the need for adding a player to the deal occurs.

Edited by billsredneck1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Would he have stayed, if he QBd the Bills to the NFC championship and the win?

If he'd QBd the Bills to the NFC Championship, that would have been more historical than the comeback vs. the Oilers.

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Why would Foles or Foles agent want to stay there. His client just won a SB and he is only being paid 7 mill? Foles value is as high as it will ever get.... If I were his agent I would demand that he be traded and then extended with another team for more money.

Exactly. Common Sense. His trade value is as high as it will ever be. Stick him on the bench for a year and you start having depreciation. Bills should give a 1st plus TT for Foles.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Foles is worth more to the Eagles in 2018 as an insurance policy than what they are going to get in a trade.

Other than his one miracle year under Chip Kelly(27 TD's and 2 INT's), and a couple of really good playoff games this year, he has put up 34 TD's and 27 INT's(career numbers minus the year previously mentioned).  So how much is a team going to give up(in a trade and then a new contract) for this soon to be 30 year old?

Yea, who needs all the data when you can exclude an amazing year so you can call him average?? Great analysis....

Aaron Rodgers sucks. If you exclude all of the touchdowns he's ever gotten, his TD/INT ratio is atrocious!

See what I did there?

43 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Because they can sell now and get the highest possible return for him via a trade or they can hold on to him for one year and, most likely, be left with nothing to show for it after the 2018 season. 

The oldest adage in business: "Sell high, buy low."

Foles is very marketable right now.   

Everything depends on the offer they get.   Would you take a 1st rounder for him?   

Philly may have won the superbowl but they sucked on defense.   Pats receivers were running wide open all day and they got shredded for 600+ yards.

They traded us a pick for Darby so they're down a pick already, Peters may never make it back to his original form, and they obviously need Dback help.  Before you say they won't trade him you need to know what they're being offered.   Only an idiot GM would say "hey sorry but we just aren't taking offers at this time..."

Personally I think Jax would offer their first rounder for the guy.   He could complete that team nicely.

The Eagels should hold Foles until the trade deadline next year after someone else has lost their starter.  He'll be as valuable then and they'll have a better grasp on Wentz recovery.  They're already championship caliber, and an extra late second or early 3rd round pick isn't going to make them better in a "win now mode" nearly as much as an established backup with a starting QB coming off injury.

HOT TAKE ALERT: I think Foles starts the first four games of the season... At that point, if they're 4-0, Wentz will return to a very high bar set by his backup... If he falters, or drops a few games, he'll be benched... At that point, the Eagles will embrace Foles as the Franchise face, and Wentz will be looking for a new home.

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

He could still ask. He could state he wants to be a starter.  Of course they don't have to accommodate him, but still, it's out there.

Super Bowl Champion.  MVP...and making 8 million to likely sit on the bench.  If I were his agent I would be pushing this, if my client wanted me to as it is my job.  There is at least a 50 million or so deal out there for him (at the very least), with guaranteed money and the clock on his career is ticking, just like everyone else.

I know how good it is for the Eagles to keep him.  It's just not very good for the World Champion/Super Bowl MVP QB if he sits on the bench for a year should Wentz be ready to come back.

3 minutes ago, #34fan said:

HOT TAKE ALERT: I think Foles starts the first four games of the season... At that point, if they're 4-0, Wentz will return to a very high bar set by his backup... If he falters, or drops a few games, he'll be benched... At that point, the Eagles will embrace Foles as the Franchise face, and Wentz will be looking for a new home.

0 chance that happens.  I will be surprised if Foles is an Eagles after the draft.