Nick Foles is going nowhere...

LabattBlue

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Why would the Eagles even entertain trading him?

1 - He just proved in the playoffs how valuable an above average backup is.

2 - He is on a team friendly deal for next year.

3 - Most important...will Wentz be ready for the 2018 season, and even if he does start in the opener,  how long before he is 100%, or what if he has a setback?

I guess this all depends on who they can get for bkup. They get a Bradford or Bridgewater they can trade Foles easily. 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Everyone realizes that Foles didn't exactly have a monstrous run in Philly right?  Yes, played a great game against a terrible defensive showing in the Super Bowl, and in the process proved all the nut cases around who are clinically obsessed with getting only an ELITE passer to win are wrong.  

However, do any of you actually know what Foles did on the field filling in for Wentz?

Yes, he played great the last 2 games agains Minny and NE, and thats something NO ONE can ever take from him.  But other than that, he only had one other good game and it was against one of the worst defenses in the NFL where he threw fro 237 yards and 4 TD's.  He was worse than TT in all the other games in terms of production.  

So lets not now all pretend that all of a sudden Nick Foles is the next great QB.  He made 6 starts in regular and post season this year.  

• In 3 of those games he totaled 10 TD's and 1 Interception.
  • In the other 3 games he averaged a pathetic 149.3 yards per game, with ZERO TD's and 2 Interceptions (all worse than anything we get from TT)
  • He also had 5 fumbles in those 6 games.  

Yes, he got hot the final 2 games he played against Minny and NE.  But in the 4 previous games he had 1 good game and 3 bad games.  He had one good year in his career as a starter, and then was atrocious in LA.  And even in that good year of 27 TD's, he still only passed for 2800 yards and averaged 220 yards per game passing.  

All we KNOW right now is that Foles is a pretty good backup QB.  But he has not proven to be a reliable and quality starter in this league, especially not one that is worth giving up a lot to go get at this point.  

This reminds me of when Larry Brown of the Cowboys (defensive back) won the MVP in the Super Bowl against the Steelers.  He was considered the weak link on that D going in, yet Oakland signed him to a big contract that same offseason after the MVP win.  What happened next...Oakland CUT him 12 months later because he was still who he always was, a below average DB who now had a big contract.  The term for that is FOOLS GOLD.

Now I am not saying Foles for sure cant be a good starter, but his body of work extends way past just these 2 games in a row he had, and more importantly wasn't even very consistent this year either outside those 2 games.  His best year was great from a TD:INT ratio, but he still only averaged 220 yards a game.  His TD:INT ratio is actually pretty bad over the rest of his 6 year career.

The Foles obsession is crazy to me.  Not to mention, Philly would be stupid to trade him because they dont even know when Wentz can get back, so they may need someone they can rely on early next year.  They are obviously a SB contending roster, so Foles is likely worth more to them as insurance next year if Wentz needs more time or even gets hurt again.

Never compare TT to anyone that can make passes. In that Championship/Superbowl he had 2 gms that TT can never ever do.  Matter of fact TT only has 1 300yd passing performance in his career and it took overtime to get that done vs the 32nd ranked D. Please TT is garbage. 

The market for Foles is going to be very interesting.  He was outstanding in the playoff run this year, but weeks 15 - 17 were an entirely different story.  The fact that the Eagles got by Atlanta was a surprise based on how he had closed out the season.  It's hard to ignore his entire body of work and think he is now a franchise QB.

37 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Never compare TT to anyone that can make passes. In that Championship/Superbowl he had 2 gms that TT can never ever do.  Matter of fact TT only has 1 300yd passing performance in his career and it took overtime to get that done vs the 32nd ranked D. Please TT is garbage. 

Way to take something that has nothing to do with TT and make it about him and you disdain for him.  Your post here is completely irrelevant to the use of TT in my post you responded too.  I simply pointed out how LOW his production was in HALF his games this year, which was substantially lower than TT averages...that is a fact, not an opinion.  

So while you want to make conclusive determinations off of TWO games, Foles has a body of work of 3 times that this year alone and a career that spans 6 years that mostly doesn't come close to what he did in those TWO games.  

4 hours ago, clearwater cadet said:

Philly would be smart to hold out until a contender has a training camp injury.  At would allow then make sure Wentz is ok, and a team would be willing to give up multiple picks.

Right.  Just like they did with Bradford.  

And the fact that he has a team-friendly contract makes him even MORE valuable in a trade.  

26 minutes ago, napmaster said:

The market for Foles is going to be very interesting.  He was outstanding in the playoff run this year, but weeks 15 - 17 were an entirely different story.  The fact that the Eagles got by Atlanta was a surprise based on how he had closed out the season.  It's hard to ignore his entire body of work and think he is now a franchise QB.

I think the story on Foles is that with good protection in the right system, he can be VERY good.   The playoff run wasn't an accident, and his good year in Philadelphia wasn't, either.   

The guy has shown he has great recognition skills and decision making, and he's an accurate thrower.   

Files will never be more valuable than right now.... and the Eagles know it. If they’re smart they unload him while the getting is good! If the pundits are correct his trade value will drop significantly next year, or if his contract is up....he’ll just walk. Just the same as the Bills with Sammy 

I doubt they'll trade him before the start of the season and I doubt they won't trade him before the deadline, I think they'll need to first make sure Wentz is healthy but they'll want to get a pick before he walks at the end of the season, no one would risk franchising a backup QB with a 35+ million dollar tag.

4 hours ago, Best Player Available said:

Foles had an awesome playoff, superbowl, and played very well in Wenz's place.

That said he could easily return too his horrible  QB'ing that almost caused him too retire.

No Thanks. How anyone can call him a "franchise" QB is head scratching. And I like the guy.

The only time he was horrible was under Jeff Fisher. Also horrible: every QB under Jeff Fisher 

that said I’m not sure he’s a franchise qb but he’s a helluva lot better than Tyrod.

Edited by YoloinOhio

This idea is funny.  Would you spend a first round draft pick on a backup QB who has a medical condition that will likely knock him out of football in a year?

Neither would the Eagles.  If someone offers a first for their backup QB who is almost 100% certainly gone after next season, they'll take it.

Edited by Acantha

8 minutes ago, Acantha said:

This idea is funny.  Would you spend a first round draft pick on a backup QB who has a medical condition that will likely knock him out of football in a year?

Neither would the Eagles.  If someone offers a first for their backup QB who is almost 100% certainly gone after next season, they'll take it.

I haven’t been following this I guess... what is his medical condition? 

2 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

A tad extreme....  

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

1 pick in the first 100 picks.  Wentz is the franchise Qb and would have won the MVP.  He is the guy in Philly.  With the way the team is constructed they could stay afloat in the NFC and Division with a back up Qb for the first half of the season.  Chase Daniels, or a Qb of that ilk.  I am not saying to strictly give Foles away.  I would hold on to him if they were not offered anything of value.  But 2 picks with one a 1st is a strong possibility I expect for the eagles to take that offer.  They have the rare situation to trade away a Qb who market is going to be sizzling hot for.  By the way his 7 mil salary makes him more advantages than Cousins or a rookie.  Would Buffalo trade 1 or both of there first rounders?  Probably, and would Philly take that offer? Yes.  Foles is going to be in Philly for 1 more year at best.  He will possibly play 6 to 8 games.  Will those 6-8 games be better than the conference Championship game and Superbowl?  Probably not.  Imo i think Foles played the best games of his career in the 2 most important ones.  I dont expect for him to play at that level consistently so the more he plays the lower his value gets.  

I have 0 interest in Foles for a 1st round pick.  I don't think anyone really does.  The Free agent class will hit a lot of the spots, and the ones that don't will look to the draft.  So they only way to trade him and get something for 2018 would be to trade him when you can.  

Drafting in the 1st gets you 5 years of cost control, trading for Foles gets you one.  

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I haven’t been following this I guess... what is his medical condition? 

Sorry, I was using the medical condition as an excuse of why you wouldn't be able to keep a draft pick for more than one year (to compare with Foles being gone in FA after one more year).

In Foles, the Eagles have an insurance policy for one year.  If they trade him, they get a top end prospect who could be with the team for 10+ years. That's not even a decision.

28 minutes ago, Acantha said:

Sorry, I was using the medical condition as an excuse of why you wouldn't be able to keep a draft pick for more than one year (to compare with Foles being gone in FA after one more year).

In Foles, the Eagles have an insurance policy for one year.  If they trade him, they get a top end prospect who could be with the team for 10+ years. That's not even a decision.

Ah, I thought I missed something lol

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Simple Economics, Foles trade value will never be higher.

Wentz is the guy. This was a rare look at a backup Qb winning a SB

If I was the Eagles, I trade now and clean up

House....you are correct!  The Eagles have roster needs just like every other team.  If ANY team can get top dollar, or draft picks, for a back-up on their current roster, they'd make that deal in a heart beat!  The Bills would to.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The only time he was horrible was under Jeff Fisher. Also horrible: every QB under Jeff Fisher 

that said I’m not sure he’s a franchise qb but he’s a helluva lot better than Tyrod.

Tyrod has NEVER had anything close to a horrible season.

Foles was horrible in 2015 but also a huge disappointment in 2014........he was in Chip Kelly's doghouse before he got hurt.   59% completion 13 TD's and 10 INT.    The career putrid Mark Sanchez filled in for him for half of the season and played better than Foles.    Let's not pretend that 2015 was the only bad look.:lol:

He's most comfortable in the simple RPO offense but he can run hot and cold even then.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Tyrod has NEVER had anything close to a horrible season.

Foles was horrible in 2015 but also a huge disappointment in 2014........he was in Chip Kelly's doghouse before he got hurt.   59% completion 13 TD's and 10 INT.    The career putrid Mark Sanchez filled in for him for half of the season and played better than Foles.    Let's not pretend that 2015 was the only bad look.:lol:

He's most comfortable in the simple RPO offense but he can run hot and cold even then.

Just like your 401K past results are not a guarantee of future performance.  Foles could go either way in the years to come.  He could catch fire with the confidence that winning a Super Bowl will bring....or he could be a one-hit wonder.  That's what makes his story so intriguing.  I tend to be the kind that would take a chance on a guy who's at least PROVEN he can win on the big stage.  Sunday's win was not in spite of Foles.  On the contrary, without his performance the Eagles are not holding a parade this week!

• Like (+1) 1