Josh McDaniels Withdraws from Colts' HC Job

This maybe goes back to the hate between the Colts vs Patriots with Manning, Brady vying for the AFC Championship year after year.  Robert Kraft stepped in and probably told McDaniels that he would take over as the Patriots HC next year. Thus keeping that high scoring offense with Brady intact this year for continuity.

Greedy bastards want more rings and to keep the lock on the AFC EAST going as long as they can. 

Anyway it shapes up I know I wouldn't want to work for Jim Irsay either

44 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's still a d-bag move when you think about all of the assistant coaches who committed to the Colts to be a part of his staff.  Your attempt to defend the indefensible is pathetic. 

I was defending them against an idiot accusation. And also I never defended him I defended the team. 

13 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

My read on this is that mcdaniels is more scared than anything else. He’s got a good thing going with brady. Probably still skittish about his prior failures.  

I suspect once brady retires, mcdaniels’ Star is going to plummet and he will have missed his window.

Or he decided that he was too good to work for a dysfunctional franchise with what might be an active addict running the show if his current employer was willing to step up 

34 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

While what you say is correct in terms to the new job offer, you assume that there has been nothing signed by McDaniels. You don't know that.

I would be shocked if the Colts had been promoting and announcing McDaniels as their HC without at minimum a Letter of Understanding. In that letter, if there is one there could very well be parameters lined out for what would happen should McDaniels or the Colts change their mind if the agreement falls through. That would give the NFL ample power to step in.

As I stated however it's not known by anyone if in fact there has been a letter signed. I'm sure we will hear much more as it all plays out.

Again I was defending the Pats, not McDaniels. I don't know what he signed but the accusation the Pats were breaking contract law was just false is all I was getting at.

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Or he decided that he was too good to work for a dysfunctional franchise with what might be an active addict running the show if his current employer was willing to step up 

Yeah, but then why agree to it and change course? He knew what he was getting to with Irsay et al to start with. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Yeah, but then why agree to it and change course? He knew what he was getting to with Irsay et al to start with. 

Supposedly that's why they had the second interview he was nervous and not sure he wanted this job. The second interview was with airway in the room.. one thing is for sure as a writer upnhere wrote he is "radioactive" for any other job but NE now as far as HC goes.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

FYI, I think they are going to hire Dave Toub. They never felt like Josh was 100% committed and he was plan B. We will see, but it’s what I heard.

I think this would be a smart hire.  I think Toub is a good football mind with a lot of experience and would like to see him get a shot.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Jeff Fisher says he’s “interested” 

How nice for him.  If the Colts are interested back, they deserve what they get.

3 hours ago, stony said:

Meh, McD fleeced Kraft for a raise.  Smart career move on his part.  Irsay is a kook.

Maybe.  But Irsay was the same kook before McD interviewed, verbally committed, and hired a bunch of assistants on his word that he was taking the gig.

2 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Oh please.  There are dozens of men ready and willing and prepared to step in and be a head coach.  It’s football not rocket science.

dont overcomplicate it and stop thrusting this hyperbolic nonsense to rile people up.  Not you obviously but Schefter.

I don't think it's "overcomplicated" to point out that on McDaniel's word that he was in, the Colts hired a bunch of people who uprooted their lives thinking they had a job.  Now the Colts have a hard choice:

1) hire a different HC, but tell him he doesn't get to pick his own guys as every other HC does

2) behave like a douchebag themselves by throwing the guys they just signed off the boat

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

19 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Then why did he take the job in the first place?   And I suppose that dysfunctional organization is just fine for the guys he hired.......but not him?  SCUM

Edited by 4merper4mer

9 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Supposedly that's why they had the second interview he was nervous and not sure he wanted this job. The second interview was with airway in the room.. one thing is for sure as a writer upnhere wrote he is "radioactive" for any other job but NE now as far as HC goes.

It's really about the assistants IMO.   He apparently got guys to uproot their families, move to Indianapolis, and start sweating, on their trust in his word that he was taking the gig.

It's fair enough for McD to be leary of Irsay, but then keep his talks with assistants on the "if I do this...are you interested?" level, don't be definite to your men when you're still a waffle between the ears.  That's not a leader.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, frogger said:

I bet he was told Old Billy is nearing the end and he’s next up

I would agree with that an some extra cash to wait.  If there is even a wait.  Maybe BB will retire in the coming days?

Edited by Manther

54 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He reserved the right to change his mind just as much as the Colts did.

And I can't STAND Josh McDaniels.

Again, change his mind fine, but don't recruit people "I'm in - are you in with me?" and get them to uproot their lives and move to  Ind thinking they're working for him.

That's some scumbag shite.

Plot twist: New “good-guy Irsay” also feels slighted. He mails McDaniels a certified letter and check for $20,000. The leter states, that by cashing the check, he understands said money can only be used for his (McDaniels) funeral. Included in the envelope is a single post it note that reads “You’re dead to me”

Interesting development, but if it's true that McDaniels was told he's heir apparent when BB retires, I can't blame the guy one bit...especially when you consider he has a family and is rooted in the Boston area and prefers New England to Indianapolis.

I do too!

11 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Interesting development, but if it's true that McDaniels was told he's heir apparent when BB retires, I can't blame the guy one bit...especially when you consider he has a family and is rooted in the Boston area and prefers New England to Indianapolis.

I do too!

Screw his hires and their families, right?

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

What hires?  He didn't form a staff in Indianapolis.

Ummmm....not the whole staff but you may want to start from the beginning.  He hired several including a D C and there were reports he was making offers earlier today.

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Ummmm....not the whole staff but you may want to start from the beginning.  He hired several including a D C and there were reports he was making offers earlier today.

Didn't realize that.  That's a little more weird.  I thought he simply thought over the offer, possibly even after acceptance, and had a change of heart.  

It's amateurish of him to let it get to the point where he was hiring staff and then back out, but I still understand it if he was given the same offer (HC when BB is gone) in Boston.

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Didn't realize that.  That's a little more weird.  I thought he simply thought over the offer, possibly even after acceptance, and had a change of heart.  

It's amateurish of him to let it get to the point where he was hiring staff and then back out, but I still understand it if he was given the same offer (HC when BB is gone) in Boston.

Weird is the wrong word.  Unprofessional is what you're looking for.  Putting other people in a position like that is looooooow.

36 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Most including me thought like you until Mularkey and Marrone got HC jobs

Mike Mularkey

Time heals all wounds to a certain extent and it is true with Mularkey. I highly doubt he sees another one: 

2006: Mularkey resigns, and joins the Saban Fiasco in Miami as OC and they are god awful on the offensive side of the ball.

2007: Mularkey stays on staff, but not as OC. Eventually demoted to TE coach by Cam Cameron. 

2008-2011: Goes to ATL as OC and turns around their offense in his first year. 

2012: 6 years since his last HC gig he takes over as Jags HC. Fired after the first year of his 3 year contract

2013-14 Takes TE coach position with Tennessee.

2015-2017: Mularkey takes over for a terrible Wisenhunt. Tennessee is mediocre with Marriota. Fired again. 

Doug Marrone

Marrone after ditching the Bills, thinking he would be a highly touted HC prospect, settles for the OL coach of maybe the worst team in the league. Bradley is canned, which was years in the making. Coughlin retains him, and is probably the only guy in the league who would hire Marrone as HC at the time. Marrone is currently a product of timing and Coughlin. If not for that, I didn't really see him getting any HC jobs in the near future. Probably more treading water in the league for 5-7 years like Mularkey before getting a shot. Paying his dues.

When Dareus talks about Marrone being a changed man, I don't doubt it. I would expect that his journey post Buffalo was incredibly humbling too him as a professional and as a man. 

Josh McDaniels

People keep talking about McDaniel's bad time in Denver and what an a-hole he was there. He was also terrible as the OC with the Rams. Him being able to work/be buddies with Tom Brady has been the greatest thing to ever happen to him.  I think TB is the real OC of that team, and Belichick controls everything. McDaniels has never ever stood on his own two feet with success. His resume:

1999: Grad assistant under Nick Saban

2000: Moves to Cleveland and works as a plastics salesman. (I sh*t you not)

2001: Patriots Personell Assistant. 

2002-2003: Defensive Assistant

2004-2005: Patriots QB Coach. Before McDaniels took over, Brady had already been named Super Bowl MVP TWICE, while Josh was a defensive assistant

2006-2008: Assistant to the Offensive Coordinator (Tom Brady)

2009-2010: Denver-Lots of hot garbage

2011: Rams more hot Garbage

2012-today: Assistant to the Offensive Coordinator (Tom Brady)

I think Indy dodged a bullet here, not just because McDaniels is a douche, but because I think he is really bad at his job. 

I don't agree on Marrone Mango. He was always getting another job at some point. He had been a regular interviewee in the two years he was without a HC job. He made the last 2 in Chicago and the feeling there was he was the front runner for that job until John Fox unexpectedly got fired in Denver. 

Ultimately the Jacksonville opportunity was a great one with so many pieces already there on D but I don't believe it was the only way Marrone got another shot. His perception around the league never matched the perception in Buffalo. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree on Marrone Mango. He was always getting another job at some point. He had been a regular interviewee in the two years he was without a HC job. He made the last 2 in Chicago and the feeling there was he was the front runner for that job until John Fox unexpectedly got fired in Denver. 

Ultimately the Jacksonville opportunity was a great one with so many pieces already there on D but I don't believe it was the only way Marrone got another shot. His perception around the league never matched the perception in Buffalo. 

That is fair. I will consider fan bias regarding Marrone. Just let me keep hating him, it is still too fresh for me. 

I stand by the rest though. McDaniels sucks and Mularkey paid his dues. 

6 hours ago, dpberr said:

Weasel.

Owners won't forget that.

They won't forget but it won't be a big deal for them. Assuming he doesn't stay many years in NE, the next guy who wants him will just demand a signed contract. 

I suspect other owners will understand well why he was concerned about going to Indy. Their ownership is not top-notch.

3 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

My read on this is that mcdaniels is more scared than anything else. He’s got a good thing going with brady. Probably still skittish about his prior failures.  

I suspect once brady retires, mcdaniels’ Star is going to plummet and he will have missed his window.

Could be. Alternately, the owner may have promised him he'll succeed Belichick. Or at least be a leading candidate with an inside track.

If he doesn't get hired there, I think he'll be hired somewhere else the first year. If not, though, yeah, a good chance we'll see a window effect.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's really about the assistants IMO.   He apparently got guys to uproot their families, move to Indianapolis, and start sweating, on their trust in his word that he was taking the gig.

It's fair enough for McD to be leary of Irsay, but then keep his talks with assistants on the "if I do this...are you interested?" level, don't be definite to your men when you're still a waffle between the ears.  That's not a leader.

Fair point.

But I still don't think he would have any trouble getting hired elsewhere even if he's not in NE for the long-term. Whoever hired him would just do a better job of saying, "This offer lasts XX hours. Sign the contract or we move on."

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

The relationship between the New England Patriots and the Indianapolis Colts is still frosty, according to a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft wanted to stick it to the Colts by retaining offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. So even after the Colts had announced the hiring of McDaniels, Kraft intercepted McDaniels by sweetening his deal with New England.

Deflategate, the source of Kraft's bitterness with the Colts, played a role in this strange turn of events.

Apologies if this has been stated already,  asI  have not read the entire thread.

But damn, if one believes BB is football savant, and he put the full court press on to keep McDaniels but practically held  the door for Patricia...

Detriot fans must be like  Rut Row!!!!

10 hours ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Wrong. Never Cheated, bills=2 easy wins for pats this year. 

McDaniels is staying.. Belichick tooo and your hopes and dreams crushed

Lmao...what a tool. The organization has been fined and otherwise penalized for cheating on more than one occasion. For "not" cheating I guess? Lmao. That organization is on its last leg imo....

16 minutes ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

neither will his children.  for anyone who has moved middle school aged kids , i can assure you, his kids will thank him someday

Sure the kids of the coaches he hired and have already moved to Indy are thankful for that!!!

He gave his word, he backed out, that maybe the worst lesson you can EVER teach your children, and they will NOT thank him for that later

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Umm he had not resigned his position as Patriots OC and was still under contract. They as a business have every legal right to do whatever they can to retain their employee who is still under contract. Till he quits he is THEIR employee. This isn't even close to being a violation of contract law.  For a good example say you get a offer letter from a new potential employer but before you quit your current owner  gives you more money and you decide to stay. You tell your potential new employer you changed your mind and stay. No fraud, nonreprocutions.. it happens. But people get silly when it comes to sports thinking rules are different for them. (And no the CBA has nada do with this.. and the commish has very little power here.)

Spoken like a Pats Fan.   Collusion, tampering, cowardice? 

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

You’d think he would have already signed a contract right? Would the colts file a grievance and even block his employment with the pats? Now that would make a fun offseason

No, cant as per the rules in the NFL..cant sign a new contract till your current teams season is over. Hurts Superbowl assistants for sure.