Josh McDaniels Withdraws from Colts' HC Job

11 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Lmao...what a tool. The organization has been fined and otherwise penalized for cheating on more than one occasion. For "not" cheating I guess? Lmao. That organization is on its last leg imo....

Dont forget, McDaniels was caught cheating at Denver too, taping a 49rts walkthrough. 

Don't know why people think this guy will change his spots, he is pure scum

• Like (+1) 1

The Colts might have legal recourse against Kraft.  Tortious interference with a prospective contract is a real claim and if the motivation was spite/revenge (as opposed to legitimate business interests), it might have legs... the League might need to step in here.  This is really bad behavior.

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Colts might have legal recourse against Kraft.  Tortious interference with a prospective contract is a real claim and if the motivation was spite/revenge (as opposed to legitimate business interests), it might have legs... the League might need to step in here.  This is really bad behavior.

They cant..McDaniels technically  could not accept/agree to any terms before the Pats were out of the playoffs.

12 hours ago, BeefCurtns said:

Yep McDaniels as the new HC makes more sense but I bet Belichick stays another season.

I agree,

I think BB and Brady are going to give it one or two more seasons then done IMO.

I’m sure he has it in writing that he’s the next Pats HC and that the time frame on that is relatively imminent. A determining factor may Be how much control he has as Pats HC vs how much he would have with any other team. Belichick is currently the only HC who also acts as GM because they don’t have one.  Caserio, who is one of McDaniel’s good friends going back to college, is not the GM. He’s a director of player personnel and answers to Belichick. If Kraft also told McDaniels he will gave he same level of power as Belichik - control over the 53 and all personnel decisions - it’s a different job than any other team, period. McDaniel’s seems like he wants complete control  and may not feel as empowered anywhere else but with Kraft. I could see him having a significantly higher comfort level with the reporting structure and ownership in NE than anywhere else.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I’m sure he has it in writing that he’s the next Pats HC and that the time frame on that is relatively imminent. 

Is that allowed? I know from the Newsome thing it is allowed in the management ranks, but in the coaching ranks?

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Is that allowed? I know from the Newsome thing it is allowed in the management ranks, but in the coaching ranks?

If it is part of a succession plan.

Another thing I could see is Belichick moving into a GM role.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Not buying the Andrew Luck narrative. The Colts have the #3 pick. If Luck shoulder really is bust, he still could have picked one at #3. And if he can't win without a QB in place, that says all you need to know about him.

Agreed. I think his decision has more to do with NE than it does Indy. 

25 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Not buying the Andrew Luck narrative. The Colts have the #3 pick. If Luck shoulder really is bust, he still could have picked one at #3. And if he can't win without a QB in place, that says all you need to know about him.

Kraft kept slipping him a piece of paper with a higher $ figure on it every day.  

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Kraft kept slipping him a piece of paper with a higher $ figure on it every day.  

Could easily be that or he knows he'll have the Pats** job in a year or something.

He's an idiot for staying though. He won't have Brady when he gets the job, he probably won't have the #3 pick. Yea, maybe the Pats** are a better run organisation but man is he going to have a tough job following up the greatest football coach ever.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/268784/all-the-questions-left-for-the-colts-in-the-josh-mcdaniels-fallout

Does McDaniels' decision to back out violate any league rule?

It doesn't appear that McDaniels broke any rule here. The NFL doesn't recognize moves -- roster adjustments, trades, hirings or firings -- until they are official and approved. From a league perspective, McDaniels never stopped being the Patriots' offensive coordinator. The Colts do not appear to have a platform from which to file a grievance.

So that's it? No consequences?

At least some teams, owners and assistant coaches will wonder whether they can trust McDaniels' word. We don't know everything about what happened behind the scenes, but clearly the Colts felt comfortable enough with his commitment to make the announcement. And at least some members of his presumptive coaching staff signed deals to join him.

7 hours ago, Mango said:

Mike Mularkey

Time heals all wounds to a certain extent and it is true with Mularkey. I highly doubt he sees another one: 

2006: Mularkey resigns, and joins the Saban Fiasco in Miami as OC and they are god awful on the offensive side of the ball.

2007: Mularkey stays on staff, but not as OC. Eventually demoted to TE coach by Cam Cameron. 

2008-2011: Goes to ATL as OC and turns around their offense in his first year. 

2012: 6 years since his last HC gig he takes over as Jags HC. Fired after the first year of his 3 year contract

2013-14 Takes TE coach position with Tennessee.

2015-2017: Mularkey takes over for a terrible Wisenhunt. Tennessee is mediocre with Marriota. Fired again. 

Doug Marrone

Marrone after ditching the Bills, thinking he would be a highly touted HC prospect, settles for the OL coach of maybe the worst team in the league. Bradley is canned, which was years in the making. Coughlin retains him, and is probably the only guy in the league who would hire Marrone as HC at the time. Marrone is currently a product of timing and Coughlin. If not for that, I didn't really see him getting any HC jobs in the near future. Probably more treading water in the league for 5-7 years like Mularkey before getting a shot. Paying his dues.

When Dareus talks about Marrone being a changed man, I don't doubt it. I would expect that his journey post Buffalo was incredibly humbling too him as a professional and as a man. 

Josh McDaniels

People keep talking about McDaniel's bad time in Denver and what an a-hole he was there. He was also terrible as the OC with the Rams. Him being able to work/be buddies with Tom Brady has been the greatest thing to ever happen to him.  I think TB is the real OC of that team, and Belichick controls everything. McDaniels has never ever stood on his own two feet with success. His resume:

1999: Grad assistant under Nick Saban

2000: Moves to Cleveland and works as a plastics salesman. (I sh*t you not)

2001: Patriots Personell Assistant. 

2002-2003: Defensive Assistant

2004-2005: Patriots QB Coach. Before McDaniels took over, Brady had already been named Super Bowl MVP TWICE, while Josh was a defensive assistant

2006-2008: Assistant to the Offensive Coordinator (Tom Brady)

2009-2010: Denver-Lots of hot garbage

2011: Rams more hot Garbage

2012-today: Assistant to the Offensive Coordinator (Tom Brady)

I think Indy dodged a bullet here, not just because McDaniels is a douche, but because I think he is really bad at his job. 

You could pen a similar chronology for Brian Draboll who was terrible in his prior 3 stints as an OC.

The thing you wonder about with both of these guys is how much they learned since their past failures.  

Belichick doesn't keep getting the Pats to the Super Bowl because he's an idiot.  He's a smart talent evaluator and thinks highly of McDaniels.    There might be something there.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915201/article/josh-mcdaniels-bailed-on-colts-job-after-meeting-with-patriots

When Josh McDaniels went to Gillette Stadium on Tuesday morning, he was there to clean out his office and say goodbye, sources with knowledge of his thought process told NFL.com.    Instead, sources say, McDaniels met for hours with Patriots coach Bill Belichick, owner Robert Kraft and president Jonathan Kraft, who laid out how they felt about him and the process going forward -- one that surely seems tied to Belichick's future plans.

By around 7 p.m. Eastern, McDaniels was calling Colts general manager Chris Ballard and backing out of a deal announced just hours earlier to become Indianapolis' new head coach, opting to stay with the Patriots as offensive coordinator instead of taking his long-awaited second shot to run his own show.

It's such a crappy thing to do I wonder if Kraft offered McDaniels both (1) more money than Indy, and (2) BB's job after his retirement.

It wouldn't make McDaniel's decision any less unprofessional but such an offer would make his actions understandable.  

Especially when you weigh in the family considerations.  

Agents rely heavily on credibility - this will hurt Lamonte.  It will hurt the Colts.  It will hurt the already-hired assistant coaches and their families.

But McDaniels doesn't care about those people, he only cares about himself.  He's a POS, a Lane Kiffin clone.  Karma is a b-----, watch out bud.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's such a crappy thing to do I wonder if Kraft offered McDaniels both (1) more money than Indy, and (2) BB's job after his retirement.

It wouldn't make McDaniel's decision any less unprofessional but such an offer would make his actions understandable.  

Especially when you weigh in the family considerations.  

see my post  above

57 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Why would he want to deal with a "QB controversy"?  The pressure of picking Luck's replacement in a draft with good, but flawed choices plus dealing with Luck and whatever is really wrong with his shoulder.  Plus a goofball owner.

Plus living in Indy.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why would he want to deal with a "QB controversy"?  The pressure of picking Luck's replacement in a draft with good, but flawed choices plus dealing with Luck and whatever is really wrong with his shoulder.  Plus a goofball owner.

Plus living in Indy.

Your last 2 points, he knew these 3 weeks ago, when he accepted the job. And he knew them when he was packing his stuff up Tuesday morning.

QB Controversy? If the Colts know his shoulder is bum, they've accepted that they need to replace Luck. The pressure to replace Luck? Please. How about the pressure of taking over, if that what was promised to him, for the greatest football coach ever AND replacing the best QB ever?

Yea he obviously chose the situation with less pressure :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Mango said:

When Dareus talks about Marrone being a changed man, I don't doubt it. I would expect that his journey post Buffalo was incredibly humbling too him as a professional and as a man. 

I agree.  People are always a product of their history.  Thinking that the Bills would have had Jags-like success if they kept Marrone, are ignoring any growth Marrone may have had by going through

7 hours ago, Mango said:

Josh McDaniels

People keep talking about McDaniel's bad time in Denver and what an a-hole he was there. He was also terrible as the OC with the Rams. Him being able to work/be buddies with Tom Brady has been the greatest thing to ever happen to him.  I think TB is the real OC of that team, and Belichick controls everything. McDaniels has never ever stood on his own two feet with success. His resume:

1999: Grad assistant under Nick Saban

2000: Moves to Cleveland and works as a plastics salesman. (I sh*t you not)

2001: Patriots Personell Assistant. 

2002-2003: Defensive Assistant

2004-2005: Patriots QB Coach. Before McDaniels took over, Brady had already been named Super Bowl MVP TWICE, while Josh was a defensive assistant

2006-2008: Assistant to the Offensive Coordinator (Tom Brady)

2009-2010: Denver-Lots of hot garbage

2011: Rams more hot Garbage

2012-today: Assistant to the Offensive Coordinator (Tom Brady)

I think Indy dodged a bullet here, not just because McDaniels is a douche, but because I think he is really bad at his job. 

I don't think you're correct that Tom Brady is the OC.  I think it is McDaniels.  There are articles talking about how the Patriots offense has changed under different OCs and between McDaniel's first and second stints as OC.

You may still have a valid point that Indy "dodged a bullet".  It's a valid point to say that McDaniels has not yet demonstrated the ability to

1) develop a QB

2) tailor an offense to a QB

3) be a successful HC

4) build a roster

Now he may have learned a lot in the past 6 years.  Or he may not.  Maybe he secretly fears he'd plough up again and fall on his face when the Belichick/Brady training wheels come off.

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

The relationship between the New England Patriots and the Indianapolis Colts is still frosty, according to a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft wanted to stick it to the Colts by retaining offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. So even after the Colts had announced the hiring of McDaniels, Kraft intercepted McDaniels by sweetening his deal with New England.

Deflategate, the source of Kraft's bitterness with the Colts, played a role in this strange turn of events.

This is something I haven't seen talked about a lot.

Kraft deserves blame for this whole situation too. 

Had he truly wanted to keep McDaniels, he should have made this push weeks ago and McDaniels probably wouldn't have ever agreed to the Indy job in the first place. But instead he waits until the last second, after Indy already announces the hire & sends letters to season ticket holders, and after McDaniels already partly hired his staff. 

This just comes off as petty as hell to me.

Kind of like a guy who breaks up with his girlfriend then sees her happily dating some other guy he doesn't like. So he starts interfering in the relationship trying to get his ex back even though he may not truly want her. But, regardless, he just doesn't want to see her with that other guy. 

Man, I'll tell ya - The Patriots make it sooo easy to hate them. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

McDaniels' agent told him he was making mistake

Josh McDaniels' decision to spurn the Indianapolis Colts and stay with the New England Patriots is a decision even his agent never would have recommended. Read

screw you Yolo !!!   ;)  :D  

missed by that much 

Not to mention the awkwardness in that he is also Chris Ballard’s agent.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not to mention the awkwardness in that he is also Chris Ballard’s agent.

I just saw that

https://sports.yahoo.com/bob-lamonte-represents-chris-ballard-032003837.html

As if his involvement in the representation of former Raiders coach Jack Del Rio and current Raiders coach John Gruden wasn’t awkward enough, agent Bob Lamonte has found an even more awkward situation for himself.

His credibility instantly has been undermined, making it hard for future teams to trust Lamonte during the month of January, when he promises to deliver a client whose team currently is still playing in the postseason.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Plus living in Indy.

We know you love the Pats and all but Shirley even you must see that he knew all of this BEFORE he committed to taking the job.

25 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

That the Colts inked 3 McDaniel's "guys" to their coaching staff is laughable.   Maybe next time, hold off until the new HC signs his contract.  Now they are stuck with them...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/06/report-three-assistants-josh-mcdaniels-hired-are-staying-with-colts/

lol

whats laughable is Josh McDaniels giving 3 guys his word he was going to be the coach, them changing their entire lives around, and him bagging. That's not really laughable, it's deplorable. 

And what if other guys never even looked at new gigs cause Joshy boy promised them gigs on his staff. Rappoport reported that as late as yesterday morning he was offering guys jobs on his staff. 

Despicable human being.