The Darkhorse No One has Mentioned

Derek Anderson stat line from October 11th, 2009 as QB of the Browns versus the Bills at the Ralph:

2-17 for 23 yards and an interception for a QBR of 15.1.

And yeah.......he played the full game.:lol:

Worst game ever played by a QB on either team in the history of Buffalo Bills football.........and you want that guy to be the Bills QB?  

Makes sense.

6 hours ago, simpleman said:

Actually of the choices out there for a reasonably priced decent Bridge QB, Colin Kaepernick probably would be the best choice based on the skill, price and ability. But unfortunately, there are too many people out there that let  their personal, private political beliefs trump the play on the field between the whistles. A sad commentary on the state of our American society today. In a healthy society, we could all agree to a compromise, like he could stay in the tunnel or locker room till the music stops, then come on the field and play. I don't doubt he would agree to that. Make it about the game, not all the personal ideology stuff.  Personal ideology aside, I can't think of a better choice  that is available on the field between the whistles for the Bills this year as a bridge while we develop the QB of the future. No loss of draft picks, easy on the cap and about as good as all the other available options we could sign without a lot of cap or draft sacrifices.

You truly are a "simple man".

9 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I was looking at the free agents list at QB and 1 name stuck out to me the most as a possible bridge type QB it was Derek Anderson.  DA is 35yrs old has alot of experience and won't come with hefty price tag i can see the Bills signing him to a 2yr deal worth up to 20mil based on playing time.  Basically if he starts he'll get 10 mil per season if he's the bkup anywhere from 5 to 7.5 that's pretty much the going rate for experienced bkups . 

Why does he fit? 

First off he's the prototyp  e QB Beane has been talking bout he's 6'5 and has a big arm has been reasonably successful over his career . DA brings alot of experience to the table and can be a mentor to the QB we draft . There's also that familiarity he has with McBeane with them all coming from Carolina . Being a quality bkup for the latter part of his career DA wouldn't have any prbs with his role as a mentor and he probably would embrace the opportunity to start for a yr or however long it takes for our young QB to develop. 

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying i like this move.  I'm just surprised no one has brought up this player as a darkhorse candidate for the Bills. He can very much be the guy there looking for based on our cap situation and the need to bring in a young QB. 

Why are you surprised?  He's not even a low end starter on a par with McKown or Fitzpatrick, and he's certainly not nearly as good as Tyrod Taylor.  Except for one season in Cleveland 10 years ago, Anderson sucked in most of his other starting appearances, and he has only started 4 games since 2010.  In 2016 for Carolina, Anderson started 2 games in which he threw 2 TDs and 5 INTs.  Overall in his career, he's thrown 60 TDs and 60 INTs with 29 TDs and 19 INTs coming in his 2006 season.  I'd hardly consider him a "quality backup" to "mentor" a rookie, and he's not even in the conversation when discussing possible starting QBs.

With all that being said this is the same org that went into season with Tobert as there bkup RB. I mean it was the first time in his career he was a #2 ever! He was usually even in his younger days a FB/short yardage bk. Anything is possible with McBeane!

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Derek Anderson stat line from October 11th, 2009 as QB of the Browns versus the Bills at the Ralph:

Worst game ever played by a QB on either team in the history of Buffalo Bills football.........and you want that guy to be the Bills QB?  

Makes sense.

I said 3 different times that i wouldn't agree with this signing. What i said was don't rule it out. 

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It is.  He called Kaep dumb which is hilarious because he's very intelligent. 

Kaepernick is a retard.

Evidence to support that weighs in my favor. But hang your hat on the wonderlic.

Your move cheesepuff, one day you'll contribute to this site more than copypasta.  But, that one day will.never come because you won't engage in a conversation with anyone and just take pot shots at people as some high intelligence bot.

Can't wait for the next upgrade to replace you.

7 hours ago, simpleman said:

Actually of the choices out there for a reasonably priced decent Bridge QB, Colin Kaepernick probably would be the best choice based on the skill, price and ability. But unfortunately, there are too many people out there that let  their personal, private political beliefs trump the play on the field between the whistles. A sad commentary on the state of our American society today. In a healthy society, we could all agree to a compromise, like he could stay in the tunnel or locker room till the music stops, then come on the field and play. I don't doubt he would agree to that. Make it about the game, not all the personal ideology stuff.  Personal ideology aside, I can't think of a better choice  that is available on the field between the whistles for the Bills this year as a bridge while we develop the QB of the future. No loss of draft picks, easy on the cap and about as good as all the other available options we could sign without a lot of cap or draft sacrifices.

Show us where he attempted to compromised in any way. He is a sham, a retard and makes no good of the talents he has nor any ability he attempts to have in order impact a society in a progressive way.

His entire act was based on the premises of being ignorant then wrapped up into some sort of political movement nonsense mumbo-jumbo where he truly started to believe the bull **** that is out there and dividing this country up.  At the end of the day facts refute everything he stood for and didn't matter thanks to a CRT #feelings Society it didn't matter.

The best thing anyone could ask is that Colin Kaepernick finally disappears from society because he's only going to make it worse, because he's stupid

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I was looking at the free agents list at QB and 1 name stuck out to me the most as a possible bridge type QB it was Derek Anderson.  DA is 35yrs old has alot of experience and won't come with hefty price tag i can see the Bills signing him to a 2yr deal worth up to 20mil based on playing time.  Basically if he starts he'll get 10 mil per season if he's the bkup anywhere from 5 to 7.5 that's pretty much the going rate for experienced bkups . 

Why does he fit? 

First off he's the prototype QB Beane has been talking bout he's 6'5 and has a big arm has been reasonably successful over his career . DA brings alot of experience to the table and can be a mentor to the QB we draft . There's also that familiarity he has with McBeane with them all coming from Carolina . Being a quality bkup for the latter part of his career DA wouldn't have any prbs with his role as a mentor and he probably would embrace the opportunity to start for a yr or however long it takes for our young QB to develop. 

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying i like this move.  I'm just surprised no one has brought up this player as a darkhorse candidate for the Bills. He can very much be the guy there looking for based on our cap situation and the need to bring in a young QB. 

He's kind of a picky guy.  I mean he throws a lot of INTs, always has, when he gets the chance to start, still does. 

He hasn't fit the criterion of "need the backup to win you at least half the games he plays" - was 0-2 last time he started games with 2 TD and 5 INT

You haven't seen him get significant playing time for 7 years, which is always a question with an older guy - could he hold up to starting?

TBH, you'd probably be better bringing back Fitz at this point.  It's not like Anderson's "big arm" has translated to "big passing yards" recently.

7 hours ago, DKBills25 said:

Would much rather have Bradford ?‍♂️

No.

Just

No.

10 hours ago, simpleman said:

I can.

If Kaep's you're idea of the best choice, might as well keep Taylor. Not kidding.  Check out his gamelogs - he has a handful of "oh wow!" passing games, and by handful I mean like 5/69 - a few real stinkers with double-digit passing yardage, and overall on the average, his games are very Taylor-like - 180-220 yds passing, few interceptions and minimal mistakes, ability to get yards with his feet, and open receivers downfield not exploited.  Taylor has a higher completion percentage both career and last few years.

Taylor would also likely be easier on the cap by the time you factor in his $8.6M dead cap with whatever signing bonus and salary you pay Kaep, who I don't think will work for peanuts.

OK you gang over there - put away the torches and pitch-pots.  I'm not recommending this as a strategy, just responding to it in (I hope) a productive way.

I don't want the Bills to adopt the old "options without a lot of cap or draft sacrifices".  We've been doing that for years.  It doesn't work, at least not well enough.  I want to see us sacrifice.  I want to see blood on the stones of the alter!  Oh wait wrong movie.  But you get the point.

Derek Anderson is terrible. Honest to God do people even watch football any more?? Nobody who has watched this dude play would ever even bother typing this thread out.  

I swear people just go look at stats and free agent lists and type out ridiculous stuff with no basis in reality.

Edited by matter2003
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Derek Anderson is terrible. Honest to God do people even watch football any more?? Nobody who has watched this dude play would ever even bother typing this thread out.  

I swear people just go look at stats and free agent lists and type out ridiculous stuff with no basis in reality.

I don't think I can remember seeing him play in the last 7 years - you gotta watch a lot of Panthers games if you have since it's 4 games in 7 years - but his stats are not precisely enticing

4 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

I met him at a wedding once. No.

Sounds like a story.  Say more?

19 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Why does he fit? 

First off he's the prototype QB Beane has been talking bout he's 6'5 and has a big arm has been reasonably successful over his career . DA brings alot of experience to the table and can be a mentor to the QB we draft . There's also that familiarity he has with McBeane with them all coming from Carolina . Being a quality bkup for the latter part of his career DA wouldn't have any prbs with his role as a mentor and he probably would embrace the opportunity to start for a yr or however long it takes for our young QB to develop. 

I'd take Bridgewater, McCown or Fitzpatrick over Anderson.  I don't think it's a terrible idea though, since Luck or Cousins is probably unrealistic, and a rookie may not be ready to start Day 1.  

6 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Or maybe Matt Hasselbeck?   He took a team to the Super Bowl you know.

He's enjoying a nice broadcast career.  He's done with having behemoths fall on him for a living.

16 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I'm not dreaming its definitely a possibility.  DA will be 35 when the season starts that's not old for a QB in this era. He's also started some gms over these last 3yrs for Carolina and has played well .  If there plan is to draft a QB whether by trade up or at there spot at #21 there gonna need a bridge type guy and with that familiarity with him from McBeane and the cost involved i can see this being there plan.  Like i said previously im not saying i agree with this move but I'll tell u what I'm done watching Tyrod I'd rather watch DA throw pks then watch Tyrod not throw anything that's not completely open. 

In one of the games Anderson started for Carolina the last three years, this is his sole play.  It amused me so I'll paste it:

Derek Anderson pass incomplete short right intended for Mike Tolbert is intercepted by Mike Morgan at CAR-22 and returned for 14 yards

Yeah, games where the QB throws for 0 TD and 2 picks?  You may prefer watching them, but your definition of "played well" is....unique

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think I can remember seeing him play in the last 7 years - you gotta watch a lot of Panthers games if you have since it's 4 games in 7 years - but his stats are not precisely enticing

Sounds like a story.  Say more?

He's a friend of my cousins husband.  Let's just say he is a bit aloof.  

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He's enjoying a nice broadcast career.  He's done with having behemoths fall on him for a living.

In one of the games Anderson started for Carolina the last three years, this is his sole play.  It amused me so I'll paste it:

Derek Anderson pass incomplete short right intended for Mike Tolbert is intercepted by Mike Morgan at CAR-22 and returned for 14 yards

Yeah, games where the QB throws for 0 TD and 2 picks?  You may prefer watching them, but your definition of "played well" is....unique

That's three less than Peterman. ?

Anderson is 35 and has been invisible for the last 3 years.  2 TD's to 5 INT's over last three years?  Barely played a snap in two of those seasons.   Not sure what grounds you are basing him being a "competent" QB, but I don't see a guy who is nothing more than a clip board holder be given the reigns to a playoff franchise that is looking to improve on their 9-7 record from last season.

Could he be signed as a backup?  Maybe.  But starter?  That's crazy.

Well we got Benjamin Albright a guest on WGR saying watch out for the Bills signing Matt Moore or Chad Henne so get ready for it. Get ready for Tolbert playing QB.

Btw he said those guys would be the bridge to Josh Allen,  I'm probably gonna jump off a bridge if we trade up for this bust. Lol

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

Btw I'm going on record here that i don't trust McBeane to select our future QB at all. I also did not in anyway recommend we sign Derek Anderson.  I said watch for his name to pop up on these guys radars.  This might be due to the fact that i don't trust McBeane whatsoever when it comes to there process of selecting QBs.

Mcd choose to keep Tyrod with pretty much all or most fans knowing that he wasn't a fit at all in Dennison scheme. He brought him bk because he seen him working hard at OBD . He just bypassed the scheme fit like it was nothing.  Mcd also passed on Mahomes and Watson which was a huge mistake because he just had to get his franchise CB in place. We know this franchise hasn't changed all that much there still putting other positions especially Cornerback in front of QB .Mcd is also the same guy the same guy that thought Peterman was ready to go vs the Chargers. So u see my point fellas ?

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

Sorry, dudes, but when trashy QBs like Anderson, Moore or Henne are being talked about as possible Bills starters as "bridge QBs", Tyrod Taylor is looking better and better.  The FA QB market is always slim pickin's because few teams let good ones, even good backups, leave.   If the Bills cut Taylor and don't sign Cousins, they are simply reprising 2013 when they chose to save current $$ over winning football games either now or in the future. 

18 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Makes sense.

but they won! see? this guy just finds a way to win!

• Haha (+1) 1

If the bridge qb is someone like Anderson, Heine or Moore, what is the point. Tyrod can fill that role and we can still win games. He is not the long-term answer but is under contract for another year and gives the Bills a better shot at winning games. Why cut Tyrod and then sign another veteran for 8-10 million. People forget that Tyrod actually has a winning record with the Bills (the same team that had a 17 year playoff drought). Keep Tyrod for one more year and draft a first round qb. 

It’s definitely a possibility.

Especially if they draft a QB round 1 to compete. If the rookie beats out Anderson then his confidence will be up and we have a above decent Backup in Anderson, but if the rookie doesn’t beat out Anderson we only have a decent Starter.

Id take Anderson over TT for sure

• Sad 1

Just now, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

It’s definitely a possibility.

Especially if they draft a QB round 1 to compete. If the rookie beats out Anderson then his confidence will be up and we have a above decent Backup in Anderson, but if the rookie doesn’t beat out Anderson we only have a decent Starter.

Id take Anderson over TT for sure

That would be one dumb move. 

• Like (+1) 1

I believe there are so many other candidates that the Bills can look at that would be a better veteran presence than DA $10 per year for him is way over paying i think !! 

Please keep looking for another back up !! 

If nothing else we know what TT brings to the table & the Bills could keep him as a veteran that we all know would be about team & although he lacks in a lot of what it takes to be a really good starting QB in the NFL McD & company know exactly what he is & he can win enough games to keep the Bills in the play off talk ...

He better then Taylor.  The might as well Keep the Taylor crowd misses on big point.  He is getting worse every year  The league know exactly what he can't do.  When he plays against above average defense the bills look like a high school team on offense.  I get it he makes some flash plays and he is a good guy but they have to try something else 

7 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

I'd rather keep TT than Anderson, Henne, or Moore. Gase waited all of 2 minutes to sign Cutler instead of letting Moore play the season.

all better then Taylor.  Because they can actually play the position.  With Taylor you have to game plan just to do the things he is capable of doing.  These other guys all can play the position and make all of the throws.   Yes they are deficient is some areas but you have to defend against everything  

1 minute ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

all better then Taylor.  Because they can actually play the position.  With Taylor you have to game plan just to do the things he is capable of doing.  These other guys all can play the position and make all of the throws.   Yes they are deficient is some areas but you have to defend against everything  

None of them are better than Taylor.   The Bills should look to upgrade and draft a franchise QB, but your post is ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

They are all flawed. It's just what flaws you can live with. I could live with TT's if there is a top pick waiting in the wings, not so much for the other 3.