Hate to say it...Tyrod will be back

Hebert19

I don’t really think it means much. And I haven’t read the entire thread to see if it was discussed previous. But after the Eric Wood announcement (not press conference), Tyrod made a little video saying “we’ll miss you in the locker room” or huddle. The point of course meaning he still may think of himself on the team. If he knew he wasn’t coming back it’s not likely he would have couched it like that. Maybe. But I think unlikely. 

13 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I read this EVERYWHERE about how they benched him in week 12 so that means they have no confidence in him and he is done.

Maybe Coach McDermott, after seeing how the season played out and the won loss record etc, changed his mind?  Maybe the new OC likes him?

It's easy for us to say cut him and bring in some rookie or Fitz or heck anybody.  But when every win and loss goes on your permanent record, you may think differently about it.  Coaches like to win.

You read it everywhere because it makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is the idea that McDermott saw Tyrod playing, replaced him, put him back in after seeing how unready Peterman was ... and then saw Tyrod continue to play at the same level and changed his mind. That doesn't make sense.

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don’t really think it means much. And I haven’t read the entire thread to see if it was discussed previous. But after the Eric Wood announcement (not press conference), Tyrod made a little video saying “we’ll miss you in the locker room” or huddle. The point of course meaning he still may think of himself on the team. If he knew he wasn’t coming back it’s not likely he would have couched it like that. Maybe. But I think unlikely. 

Tyrod would have done that either way in my opinion. Wood has always spoken highly of whoever his QB has been, and been a good teammate. And Tyrod has always been a good teammate and a professional. 

If he wasn't he would have refused to take the field against LA. Instead he never made waves, just did what he was asked to do at all times through the process.

15 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I read this EVERYWHERE about how they benched him in week 12 so that means they have no confidence in him and he is done.

Maybe Coach McDermott, after seeing how the season played out and the won loss record etc, changed his mind?  Maybe the new OC likes him?

It's easy for us to say cut him and bring in some rookie or Fitz or heck anybody.  But when every win and loss goes on your permanent record, you may think differently about it.  Coaches like to win.

You also read whatever you wanted to see in my post, not what I was actually saying. So yea, I'm sure you read whatever you are referring to everywhere. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

Tyrod would have done that either way in my opinion. Wood has always spoken highly of whoever his QB has been, and been a good teammate. And Tyrod has always been a good teammate and a professional. 

If he wasn't he would have refused to take the field against LA. Instead he never made waves, just did what he was asked to do at all times through the process.

He’s always been a great guy. But if he knew he was gone I really doubt he would have used those words. He would have used a different tact to say he will be missed. The only way imo he wouldn’t have done that is to make it appear to other teams that he is always a team player. Guys do that all the time. He’s not that kind of guy to me though. 

Impossible to know for sure. I just thought his choice of words, being who he is, was interesting. Surely not definitive. 

31 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

PLAYOFFS !!

Yup, thanks to the defense and the run game. The pass game sucked.

By the way, how did those playoffs go?

How many points did our offense score in those playoffs? How was our passing game?

How many other teams scored less against the Jags this year? Or got less yards? One each? Only a team with our playoff drought would be proud of this season.

Sorry, 9-7 against a very easy schedule with a cumulative win-loss record well below .500 isn't something to be proud of. 

They've made their goal clear. Build a team that can consistently be competitive for titles. This team was a failure at that. And Tyrod was a major reason for that.

Edited by Thurman#1

32 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

He has always been a good teammate and a pro. Absolutely nobody would have refused to take the field. But plenty would have caused problems in other ways, and Tyrod just clearly isn't that kind of guy. He's an extremely hard worker, serious, smart, classy, not a prima donna ...

If only he was a good QB. Always been a good guy and a good teammate, though. 

Edited by Thurman#1

19 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

It is a possibility I'm not denying that. 

I actually hope Tyrod isn't here more for Tyrod rather than the Bills.

They've treated him like ****, and I like the guy as a person and player.

He's as proven as the coach that many have collectively chosen to jam their heads up his ass in unison and proclaim a prophet.

16 million is a powerful incentive to stay another year.  He may have a situation like last year where the most money he's going to get and a guarantee of being the starter is in Buffalo.  He may take another pay cut as he's a smart guy who knows his value right now.  It could be a situation where the Bills and Tyrod just can't leave each other.

Just now, Doc Brown said:

16 million is a powerful incentive to stay another year.  He may have a situation like last year where the most money he's going to get and a guarantee of being the starter is in Buffalo.  He may take another pay cut as he's a smart guy who knows his value right now.  It could be a situation where the Bills and Tyrod just can't leave each other.

I agree, and can see it being much of the same. He's not good enough to force another teams hand, but good enough where the Bills will keep him. At a discounted rate because it might be his only guaranteed starting spot.

The Bills-Tyrod relationship could end up like Kenny's parents from south park.

They both just batter each other.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Sorry folks, Taylor's one of the 32 best QBs in the NFL at the moment and is bound to the Bills for one more year at a fair price.

" ... is bound ..." Oh, the guy who thinks it's a fact that he's coming back laughs at anyone?

A fair price? Man, that's a laugh. If he comes back for one year and then leaves before the 2019, it will cost them $23.6 mill against the cap, $18 mill in 2018 and $5.6 in 2019. 

Fair from Tyrod's point of view, maybe.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I agree, and can see it being much of the same. He's not good enough to force another teams hand, but good enough where the Bills will keep him. At a discounted rate because it might be his only guaranteed starting spot.

The Bills-Tyrod relationship could end up like Kenny's parents from south park.

They both just batter each other.

I don't know how the relationship between him and the coaches are, but he knows he has the respect of that locker room so that plays a huge factor.  He's also a guy that bets on himself so even if he knows we're drafting his eventual replacement he may be fine with that.  Like Brees when San Diego drafted Rivers (one can only hope it turns out that way :))  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Peterman will start and either boom, or bust and get us a high pick next year.

Doubt that happens.  I only see three options.  We keep Taylor (or sign somebody like McCown) and draft a QB in the end of the first like Rudolph or Jackson.  We give up the farm to move up to get Josh Rosen who will be starter on day 1.  Least likely is we pursue and sign Cousins.

Edited by Doc Brown

25 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

They've made their goal clear. Build a team that can consistently be competitive for titles. This team was a failure at that. And Tyrod was a major reason for that.

Did Shady's ypc dropping 1.4 yards from 2016 to 2017 factor into it?  

Why did Coach McDermott fire the OC 48 hours after the season was over it was all Hotrod's fault?  

Edited by reddogblitz

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup, I'm still realistic. Hard to understand why anyone would disagree about a coach who replaced the guy with a 5th round rookie.

Laugh on, Captain Obsession.

And by the way, I love the emoticons. I hear they're huge with the twelve-year old girls.

Oooooooohhhhhhhh damn! 

Touched a nerve there I guess 0:) 

16 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

" ... is bound ..." Oh, the guy who thinks it's a fact that he's coming back laughs at anyone?

Ummmm, it is a fact, though :huh:

Taylor is bound to the Bills unless the Bills decide to cut or trade him.

How is that not true?

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Oooooooohhhhhhhh damn! 

Touched a nerve there I guess 0:) 

Ummmm, it is a fact, though :huh:

Taylor is bound to the Bills unless the Bills decide to cut or trade him.

How is that not true?

Yeah, but you didn't say, "unless the Bills decide to cut or trade him." Did you? Here's what you said:

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That question isn't just for you, it's for countless posters who legitimately thought that after the Jags game.

Sorry folks, Taylor's one of the 32 best QBs in the NFL at the moment and is bound to the Bills for one more year at a fair price.

I still think we upgrade in the draft.

And then when I point out what you said, you stay in character and rather than just admit the mistake and say, "Oh, sorry, I meant ..." you instead try to slime your way out of it and slip in the weasel words about "unless they cut or trade ..." Yeah, but you didn't include that exception. You just said that Tyrod was bound to the Bills, something that would only be true if you thought it impossible that he would ever be cut.

So since factually he isn't "bound to the Bills for one more year" much less at a fair price, any thoughtful observer would conclude you meant that you were completely sure he was staying with the Bills. 

Anyway, glad to see it was just ****ty writing, not that you actually believe that there's no way he won't be here.

And if you touched a nerve, it may have been somewhere in your crotch. Oh, and again, I'm sure the 12 year-old girls must just eat up those cutie little emoticons. Do you dig One Direction too? Tell me you do, that would amuse me even more.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I don't know how the relationship between him and the coaches are, but he knows he has the respect of that locker room so that plays a huge factor.  He's also a guy that bets on himself so even if he knows we're drafting his eventual replacement he may be fine with that.  Like Brees when San Diego drafted Rivers (one can only hope it turns out that way :))  

I think this is a HUGE factor as well.  Especially for team that has to trust the process and depends on team unity etc to play above the level of the personnel like we did this year.

But you know, 56 yards ...

5 hours ago, jr1 said:

he holds 6 team records and people act like he's the worst QB ever https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrod_Taylor#Buffalo_Bills_records

4 of the 6 are rushing records.

Of the 2 passing ones, one was highest comp% in a game, which he was 91.67%, because he was 11 for 12 passing... For one TD and 181 yards (63 on one pass to Sammy, on his career day off 168 yards on 8 rec)

The other was 222 without an int, which included that game above in the stretch. It also included multiple games where he AVERAGED under 6.5 yards per attempt. He loves checkdowns or holding the ball until a receiver is 10 yards open. That's why he doesn't throw a lot of ints. We all know this.

Quoting a Wikipedia article about his Bills records he holds to try and backup a point that he's a good QB, without actually looking at the records, isn't very bright.

The records he holds show nothing about how good he is as a QB, and if anything, just highlight what everybody knows about him:

He's not a good pocket qb, he runs too much, he only throws when it's a perfect window so he holds it too long.

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, but you didn't say, "unless the Bills decide to cut or trade him." Did you? Here's what you said:

And then when I point out what you said, you stay in character and rather than just admit the mistake and say, "Oh, sorry, I meant ..." you instead try to slime your way out of it and slip in the weasel words about "unless they cut or trade ..." Yeah, but you didn't include that exception. You just said that Tyrod was bound to the Bills, something that would only be true if you thought it impossible that he would ever be cut.

So since factually he isn't "bound to the Bills for one more year" much less at a fair price, any thoughtful observer would conclude you meant that you were completely sure he was staying with the Bills. 

Anyway, glad to see it was just ****ty writing, not that you actually believe that there's no way he won't be here.

And if you touched a nerve, it may have been somewhere in your crotch. Oh, and again, I'm sure the 12 year-old girls must just eat up those cutie little emoticons. Do you dig One Direction too? Tell me you do, that would amuse me even more.

Glad we see eye to eye on something Thurman.

It's nice to find that with people :D

IF the bills are planning on retaining Taylor I think they should start soon to do some public relations work to make it seem that them keeping him is a choice other than how it looks right now then forced due to limited options.

when your fan base doesn’t want him.

when other teams don’t want him.

when your own GM doesn’t believe in him.

and you still might keep him?  Some people need to start spinning this so it doesn’t look like buffalo was standing without a chair after the music stopped.

3 minutes ago, Dorkington said:

I've been thinking similar... Smith and Cousins are already off the market, and I think Tyrod is better than the rest of the vets available to us. I really don't want to go into next season with a scrub vet, a rookie, and Peterman. 

TT is a scrub vet.

I would rather try to catch lightning in a bottle like the Vikings accidentally did with Keenum than have to sit through yet another year of watching TT NOT throw the ball 

TT limits the entire passing offense. We will never know what we have talent wise/scheme wise with the new coach if TT is our QB 

Edited by PaattMaann
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You'd lose that bet... you realize Dennison was fired, right?

What tells you McCarron is an upgrade over Taylor?

All 79 career passes?

Then why didn't every defense he played against just contain him and make him be a QB :huh: 

Nonono... John was right.

It was an idiotic exaggeration :doh: 

I guess I would start with college where McCarron easily win's.

Both QB's played for 4 years as a backup with close to the same amount of games played. McCarron wins again.

Both QB's have played in a playoff game but McCarron won his. He rallied his team that was down by 15 to a victory with a beautiful TD pass to AJ Green to seal the Victory. McCarron wins again.

I would say McCarron is easily primed to have a way better career as a starter. This was way to easy.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

Obviously, no one really knows what's going on behind the scenes and therefore, until something happens....anything is possible. However, listening to Beane's comments about what he wants out of a QB and listening to McD's non-committal statements regarding Tyrod, I think those two things add up to Tyrod not being on the team next year. 

I do understand the lean toward wanting to bring Tyrod back because he's been better than what the Bills have had, except for one good year for Fitzy, since Bledsoe (YIKES!). But to me, this is like keeping the quasi-ugly girl as your girlfriend just because you're not *sure* the girl you REALLY want will go out with you and well, you need to get it from somewhere and she's a guarantee a few nights a week. Problem is....that same girl.....you don't marry her. You move on as soon as you get the chance. However, in the football scenario you don't get 10 to 15 years to get it right, so if you don't make the move - you're just done. No chance, no figuring it out....just left out. 

Bills need to make their decision on 2 QBs they believe they absolutely MUST have, and then execute the plan to obtain him. Final answer, game over.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

TT, Bridgewater, and someone drafted who is rated to rise above Peterman before Pre season games.
 I would prefer some magic happens and some one they love is still avalaible without sacrifice
If Daboll is truly flexible ? he get get TT and TB enough plays and enough reps for them to decide . I like Tyrod a s back up.
Philly paid 12 M for Foles

which is why after tb gets another ring, they should let foles go be a starter somewhere.....and that somewhere should be buffalo. he's going to deserve 20 mil. and someone's going to get him. i pray to god it's us.

17 hours ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

If I was Tyrod I would ask for a trade or release.

Why, because he has leverage now that he’s shown he can score 3 points in a playoff game ? 

7 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Actually what I’ve been thinking.  They keep screwing him over.  He should just tell them to stick it. He’d get another starting job.

The Bills took a career backup, made him a starter and paid him well.        

He has screwed the team over by sucking the life out of the passing game.    

What games are you watching ?   Seriously 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think it’s possible he will be back. Wouldn’t bet on it. I’ve said it here before but it’s one of the most salient points of the conversation: our offensive line sucks at pass blocking. Better quarterbacks than Tyrod are very likely to play much worse than Tyrod. Bradford, for example, would get absolutely murdered with this line. 

Be be careful what you wish for. 

a better qb won't make the oline suck after having to block for 6 seconds every time.

18 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Unkess we can trade him behind the scenes ala Smith.  

Here's why I think this is the case.  

1.  Cousins is not coming here.  He will end up in Denver or NYC.  

2.  Cost to trade up will be too high.  Especially if they aren't sold that one of these guys are the next elite AN.

3.  We have more holes than qb.  If we trade up we would put a rookie out there with a ****ty team and we know how that turns out.  

4.  Bradford and Bridgewater are NOT upgrades.  Before wasting money on them we have to ask.  Are they really better.  

Draft well...sign some people to plug holes and this team will make playoffs again and have more money and options next year for draft.  That's my take...

I'm beginning to lean toward this as well, unfortunately. But I'm still optimistic that they can get a 4th round pick for him before his bonus is due and sign Bradford, who I do consider an upgrade.

Quarterback Purgatory sucks, y'all.

15 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

3 posts in a row...

HE WAS BENCHED

HE WAS BENCHED

HE WAS BENCHED

Is that really the reason all the people saying Tyrod will obviously not be a Bill this coming year are clinging to?  It seems like the only thing anyone ever points to when you ask them why they think he'll be off the roster  0:) 

Tyrod definitely  made a statement and a case to why he deserves to be on the roaster in that great performance in Jacksonville ? 

in all fairness that loss is not only on him , if defense could only play a little better and hold Jaguars to 0 points we would have won that game !!!

• Haha (+1) 1

It's very simple: McDermott doesn't want Tyrod as his starting QB, so he won't be.

I guess I'll "cling to" the fact that the coach turned to a late round rookie whose default expression on the field looks like something between sheer terror and agonizing physical pain.

In the end, it's what the coach wants. Daboll showing up isn't suddenly going to make Tyrod actually play the QB position.

Edited by TheFunPolice

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

A simple "I'm sorry, I miss read your post." Or simply "my bad!" is all you needed here in order to apologize for twisting what was otherwise a very clear post rhetorically simply because of the messenger.

Say it 100 times in front of a mirror for practice... "My bad!" :thumbsup: 

12 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Wow... well okay then. :huh:

None other than every QB has clunkers :w00t: 

The Jacksonville game alone should have sealed it for you.   A good NFL qb wins that game every time.   All 22 spotlighted him he missed multiple basic reads, Romo also pointed out several blatant progression errors.  He's done man.   I love TT but he's done. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Doubt that happens.  I only see three options.  We keep Taylor (or sign somebody like McCown) and draft a QB in the end of the first like Rudolph or Jackson.  We give up the farm to move up to get Josh Rosen who will be starter on day 1.  Least likely is we pursue and sign Cousins.

Youre probably right. I think McBeane is not the type of guy to tank. If he was, this would have been the year. Instead, I got to enjoy an awesome season. 

Awesome seasons>Awesome drafts