TRADE TYROD/ GET BRADFORD/ DRAFT FUTURE

DKBills25

9 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

finally this gets mentioned.  i look at peterman with a very similar skill set as bradford.

i'd rather roll with nate and a rook vs. paying 20mil. to any oftinjured or backup qb. ...and if we can't pry foles away from philly or land mc carron, i'd be more inclined to go with nate.

:lol:

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

bradford/peterman/rudolph  i listed in another thread,  but i don't want to pay 20 mil.+ for any qb not named cousins or foles.

I looked up Bradford’s market value today. Post-injury—  Mike Ginnitti from spotrac said it was Tyrod range (15 mill). He said pre-injury it was 23 mill/yr. He said this back in Nov though.

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

glennon makes that. it's gonna take over 18 and he'll probably get more and a 3yr. plus deal somewhere else.

It’s all about the guaranteed money, system he will be working in, and weapons he will have imo. Buffalo may be open to a creative contract with a big SB, im not sure what he wlll think of Daboll or our weapons. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

It’s all about the guaranteed money, system he will be working in, and weapons he will have imo. Buffalo may be open to a creative contract with a big SB, im not sure what he wlll think of Daboll or our weapons. 

if it made sense then yes, bring him in. i think  he ends up getting a carson palmer deal in/with az.

i'd like the lineup at qb as i posted before, but i bet he's gone by the time the mcfo is done with breakfast on day one.

1 hour ago, horned dogs said:

Bradford has only started 80 of a potential 128 games since he came into the league, that's 62.5% or 10 games played/6 missed on average. So yeah you need a second QB for 6 games minimum. Peterman time!

That's 3 missed seasons out of 8.

Yes.  And of more concern, he's missed 2 1/2 of the most recent 5 seasons.

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I looked up Bradford’s market value today. Post-injury—  Mike Ginnitti from spotrac said it was Tyrod range (15 mill). He said pre-injury it was 23 mill/yr. He said this back in Nov though.

Well, he got $18M from the Vikes in 2017 and he did play very well in the 2 games he started.

I suppose in this QB-desperate landscape someone will pay him that.  I just hope it's not us. 

No joke, I'd rather have Fitzy back here.  He's an E-P guy, he's tough as old boot leather, and said to be a good mentor

5 hours ago, SoTier said:

How many teams has Bradford been healthy enough to take to even a winning season?   Not many because he's missed all/most of 4 seasons in his 8 year pro career.  Bradford can not stay on the field, which is exactly why Case Keenum became the Vikings' starter.  When he's on the field, he's basically a game manager type QB in the same mold as Tyrod Taylor ... or Alex Smith prior to 2017.   He's one of those first round QBs who keeps getting starting jobs because he hasn't totally crashed and burned ... because he's always hurt.

Broken record here...W-L record is not a QB stat.  W-L record is still not a QB stat.  And in the future, W-L record will still not be a QB stat.  The teams Bradford played on in StL were sucky teams.  They sucked the suckage right out of sucky socks.

No, Bradford is not at all a "game manager type QB in the same mold as TT or Alex Smith" - not at all.  He's a classic pocket passer with a good arm who can make all the throws.  He can read a defense and make good decisions.   He is accurate.  He has some ability to slide around in the pocket, but not at the level of a Rodgers/Brees/Rivers/Ryan kind of guy, which is one reason I think he gets hurt - he gets focused on the downfield picture and fails to make the little adjustment moves that would keep him from getting plastered.

You do state the real problem with Bradford.  If he were healthy and could stay on the field, he'd be worth what he's been paid but he can't so he isn't.

It is worth noticing that Bradford's absolute worst year was with Josh McDaniel as his offensive coordinator.  He just couldn't seem to figure out where to go on each play.   He threw 6 TD all year long.   I can't tell you if it was McDaniels, or the WR, or Bradford...whatever it was, I'm not sure Bradford is the right guy to bring in for Daboll even if he were healthy as a horse.

16 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

if it made sense then yes, bring him in. i think  he ends up getting a carson palmer deal in/with az.

That's great, let Arizona give Bradford a Carson Palmer deal.

57 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

finally this gets mentioned.  i look at peterman with a very similar skill set as bradford.

*blink*

No.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Haha (+1) 1

On January 31, 2018 at 6:36 AM, baskingridgebillsfan said:

I like Bradford.  When healthy he is very good.  I have no issue rolling the dice with him.  

I wouldn't have a problem with Bradford as bridge so long as he is the bridge and only the bridge, we draft "the real guy at QB" as well, and don't pay Bradford a lot of money.

If we draft "the guy" at QB, what happens between now and when "the guy" can play is meaningless to me.  Might as well throw Bradford in there; he'll work as well as other options.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2018-01-31 at 5:49 AM, DKBills25 said:

Die hard fan,

just made this account 

But I think this would be the best move for us 

I think cousins will demand too much money and even thou he can throw well I don’t think he would get us in the right direction 

we need to draft our future (mayfield,Jackson) and sigh Bradford to help mold the rook.

basically what the chiefs did. 

Bradford IMO we can get cheap and will give us the best chance to win 

I would also love to see us maybe trade for a young starter (most likely not gonna happen) but maybe Luck,Dalton or Winston

I like all this and think that would be a great offseason.  Agree on all except Bradford being a bargain price.  But, we have room for $40 million for two years while our roster matured and salaries go up.

I like Bradford as he is the best FA.  The injury risk doesn’t scare me because we can throw another QB.  If Bradford can stay healthy for about 6 games that would work for me.

Go Bills!

11 hours ago, nucci said:

Bradford?

Absolutely, if not for the injuries this guy wouldn't even be available to another team.he has 101 TD, 57 INT, 62.5 career comp. %, anyone who can get a full season out of him will show his true worth but like many state, will he ever go a full season, I think there needs to be an injury clause in there somewhere if possible. 

On 1/31/2018 at 4:49 AM, DKBills25 said:

Die hard fan,

just made this account 

I think cousins will demand too much money and even thou he can throw well I don’t think he would get us in the right direction 

we need to draft our future (mayfield,Jackson) and sigh Bradford to help mold the rook.

I would also love to see us maybe trade for a young starter (most likely not gonna happen) but maybe Luck,Dalton or Winston

I would rather sign away a player like A J McCaron than Dalton because he wouldn't cost nearly as much & give him the opportunity to challenge for the starting job & draft another rookie to throw into the mix like Rudolf .

You could use TT as a trade piece to get McCaron , then you would have McCaron , Peterman, & the rookie (Rudolph) in a competition for the starting job . 

On 1/31/2018 at 6:36 AM, baskingridgebillsfan said:

I like Bradford.  When healthy he is very good.  I have no issue rolling the dice with him.  

I would rather have Tyrod than Bradford, Bradford has missed all or significant portions of 3 out of the last 5 seasons. Tyrod for all his faults doesn't have that kind of injury history. Also for some reason, Bradford probably won't come cheap. I think to land Bradford you are looking at 10 million if not more, so it's not like with Bradford and cutting Taylor you see much of the 14 million that Tyrod being cut saves you getting freed up. 

As far as veteran QB's unless this team can land Kirk Cousins our best option is Tyrod. That's not singing the praises of Tyrod but rather shitting on the rest of the QB market as there is a big drop in talent once Kirk Cousins comes off the board. Now if Tyrod is your veteran option you better have a high-end rookie waiting in the wings. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Absolutely, if not for the injuries this guy wouldn't even be available to another team.he has 101 TD, 57 INT, 62.5 career comp. %, anyone who can get a full season out of him will show his true worth but like many state, will he ever go a full season, I think there needs to be an injury clause in there somewhere if possible. 

but there are injuries so that is why he'll probably be available. I think there are better options than Bradford

Bradford >>>>>>> tyrod .   

a Realistic Bradford contract would be ?  2 years 33 million   14 year one fully guaranteed 19 year two with a smallish buy out

Bradford /Peterman and a 3/4/5 th round dart is a sound plan. If you are sitting at 21 and one of the guys you like starts falling to a range when you can get him for both your two's pull the trigger.  

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:53 AM, Thurman#1 said:

Just don't think you can build a team around a guy Bradford's age with his injury history.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, JoeF said:

Very real.....yes, John.  As frustrating as that is to most of us.  Very real.

Age ?

17 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

Bradford >>>>>>> tyrod .   

a Realistic Bradford contract would be ?  2 years 33 million   14 year one fully guaranteed 19 year two with a smallish buy out

Bradford /Peterman and a 3/4/5 th round dart is a sound plan. If you are sitting at 21 and one of the guys you like starts falling to a range when you can get him for both your two's pull the trigger.  

Age ?

I would sign Bradford and draft a QB in the 1st no matter what, trade up if needed. I wouldn’t bother with a QB in the mid rounds. Already have Peterman. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

I can't argue with that, if the first 5 or gone and it comes down to Lamar Jackson or wait I would wait any of the other 5 I would grab one 

I like Lamar, but I’m not sure the Bills do. He’s the only “top” QB they didn’t scout more than once. 

2 hours ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

Bradford >>>>>>> tyrod .   

Age ?

Personally, I think Bradford will be the "best value" QB on the market.  He improved his accuracy throughout his career. He is athletic enough and smart enough but probably not durable enough to run sets with RPO's. 

With this type of contract, he essentially replaces Tyrod's cap number and at 30 years old, it takes away the pressure to bundle picks to move up. 

I think with a good running game, a better pass protecting right tackle and right guard he can thrive.

Here's his injury history.  I think he can speed the Bills progress if he stays healthy.  He is definitely a better thrower and quicker reader than Tyrod.

http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/sam-bradford/3362

2 hours ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

Bradford >>>>>>> tyrod .   

Is it still a sound plan when Bradford goes out for the year 2 weeks into the season and is still injured at the start of the next league year, so you can't cut him and that money stays on the books?

(I don't think it's a sound plan to start with - I don't like any plan that doesn't involve either signing a top FA without health questions or trading up for the QB we like best)

• Thank you (+1) 1

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:49 AM, DKBills25 said:

Die hard fan,

just made this account 

I'm actually on board with this.

The Bills QB position has been a problem for far too long.  We have extra picks this year.  We need to get a serious handle on it.

TT needs to go, that's a given.  He has reached his ceiling, and we all know what he cannot do.

Buffalo is not in a position to draft a QB to sit the bench or struggle through a rookie year with a journeyman filling the gap.

They need a QB who can come in and play competently until their "QB of the Future" is ready.

It's just to important of a position to not ensure it's covered.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/31/2018 at 3:36 AM, baskingridgebillsfan said:

That's the issue though, he is rarely healthy.  He didn't suffer a freak injury like Bridgewater.  He's routinely missed large swaths of seasons.   Does he sound like a McD/Beane guy with the importance they place on availability?  Might as well let a rookie play and save the money because the odds are the rookie would have to play sooner than later anyway.

Edited by purple haze

Trade Tyrod? Maybe for a bag of deflated balls then maybe Brady will want to end his career here. Other then that your not going to get anything for a running QB that can only run a Taylor made simplified system as bad as Tyrod with that contract.

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is it still a sound plan when Bradford goes out for the year 2 weeks into the season and is still injured at the start of the next league year, so you can't cut him and that money stays on the books?

(I don't think it's a sound plan to start with - I don't like any plan that doesn't involve either signing a top FA without health questions or trading up for the QB we like best)

I understand your concern about Bradford's fragility. It certainly is warranted. But there is an assumption that the Bills are going to use a high pick on a top shelf qb prospect. If that assumption is true then it is worthwhile to gamble on an injury prone player whose purpose is to be a temporary answer at qb position. On the other hand there is an upside to this very often battered player: He is talented. He can run a pro offense and he is a good passer. If you are going to take a risk on a player why not take on a player who is talented with the mitigated risk that he is temporary solution. Who knows we may get lucky and get a player who performs much better than expected? It happened when the Vikes picked up Keenum who was an afterthought addition. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/31/2018 at 8:10 AM, FearLess Price said:

Pizza rules. Breakfast pizza is awesome. Lunch pizza is awesome. 2nd lunch pizza is awesome. Dinner pizza is awesome. High midnight pizza is awesome. Fck it. Pizza is always awesome.

Riddle: What do pizza and nooky have in common?

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Don't you mean Get Bradford and his backup for when Bradford goes down after 3 or 4 gaems again?

...as much as I like Sam, Humpty Dumpty is in better shape.....some pretty eye opening dollar numbers.....nice work if you can get it......

Total Earnings for Bradford through 2017 (through 8 seasons): $114 million

Career TD passes: 101 or $1.128 million EACH

Career starts: 80 or $1.425 million EACH

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I understand your concern about Bradford's fragility. It certainly is warranted. But there is an assumption that the Bills are going to use a high pick on a top shelf qb prospect. If that assumption is true then it is worthwhile to gamble on an injury prone player whose purpose is to be a temporary answer at qb position.

I look at it differently.  If the Bills spend a high draft pick on a top shelf QB prospect, the most important thing becomes to properly develop that QB.

That includes, having the vet QB in place to let him sit until he's ready, if that's what he needs.

Perhaps EJM could never have been a starting NFL QB but surely the way the Bills handled the QB situation around him, did not help his development.

Bradford is "Fool's Gold" as a QB. 

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I look at it differently.  If the Bills spend a high draft pick on a top shelf QB prospect, the most important thing becomes to properly develop that QB.

That includes, having the vet QB in place to let him sit until he's ready, if that's what he needs.

Perhaps EJM could never have been a starting NFL QB but surely the way the Bills handled the QB situation around him, did not help his development.

Bradford is "Fool's Gold" as a QB. 

I don't care how much EJ was improperly managed he was not going to be a franchise qb. He was a fourth round talent taken in the first round. His selection in the first round was a mistake. In my opinion, regardless if he had the best tutelage  his inherent weaknesses (accuracy and vision) would never allow him to be a franchise qb.. 

I understand why you would have an aversion toward Bradford. I'm more willing to take a calculated risk for a qb we hope to be a bridge qb. Apparently my risk tolerance is higher than yours. That's okay. However, what I don't want to be subjected to again is a qb who can't run a pro offense. That's a bottom line issue that I will not compromise on. 

I'm not sure Bradford would want to go to a team on a cheap deal as short-term fix and mentor a first round QB.

He thinks he's a franchise QB and he wants to win a SB.........I am sure he thinks he has a lot of years left in him.............and when healthy he's proven he is as AT LEAST as good as Kirk Cousins.

Perhaps I am wrong but if you want him but don't want to commit long term.......and you aren't a SB contender on paper.........and also want him to mentor a QB you plan to take in round 1......I think you have to pay him over $20M per............and with the hellacious injury history not sure how that works.

If I were him.......if Minnesota wouldn't commit.......with those sore knees.........I'd be looking at how Carson Palmer salvaged his career in sunny Arizona and trying to get myself there and willing to take a cheaper deal to do so.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't care how much EJ was improperly managed he was not going to be a franchise qb. He was a fourth round talent taken in the first round. His selection in the first round was a mistake. In my opinion, regardless if he had the best tutelage  his inherent weaknesses (accuracy and vision) would never allow him to be a franchise qb.. 

I understand why you would have an aversion toward Bradford. I'm more willing to take a calculated risk for a qb we hope to be a bridge qb. Apparently my risk tolerance is higher than yours. That's okay. However, what I don't want to be subjected to again is a qb who can't run a pro offense. That's a bottom line issue that I will not compromise on.

If the Bills go into next season with Taylor and a rookie, how will this failure to compromise on your part be exhibited?  You'll buy seasons and burn them?  Rent a billboard?  A banner towing plane?  Hold your breath until you turn blue?  It just seems a wierd thing to say.  If you get your wish and the Bills bring in Bradford and we wind up starting a QB who can't (yet) run a pro offense effectively, what will your 'bottom line' be then?

I don't know if my risk tolerance is higher or lower than yours.  My perception is that paying millions of dollars to a QB likely to wind up on IR is not a particularly effective strategy to improve at the QB position.  There seems to be a tendency to paint a "live mouse/dead lion" choice, but I tend to believe we will have different options at QB, just as we potentially had different options last offseason.  Certainly my assessment of Bradford is affected by living in St Louis and seeing the negative team impact of clinging to hope for (and paying) a promising QB who can't stay on the field.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If the Bills go into next season with Taylor and a rookie, how will this failure to compromise on your part be exhibited?  You'll buy seasons and burn them?  Rent a billboard?  A banner towing plane?  Hold your breath until you turn blue?  It just seems a wierd thing to say.  If you get your wish and the Bills bring in Bradford and we wind up starting a QB who can't (yet) run a pro offense effectively, what will your 'bottom line' be then?

I don't know if my risk tolerance is higher or lower than yours.  My perception is that paying millions of dollars to a QB likely to wind up on IR is not a particularly effective strategy to improve at the QB position.  There seems to be a tendency to paint a "live mouse/dead lion" choice, but I tend to believe we will have different options at QB, just as we potentially had different options last offseason.  Certainly my assessment of Bradford is affected by living in St Louis and seeing the negative team impact of clinging to hope for (and paying) a promising QB who can't stay on the field.

I have already cancelled my NFL Ticket. If Taylor is the starting qb I will not renew. I have no interest in watching a pop warner offense. 

I do not know who the free agent qb is going to be if Taylor is dealt or let go. I'm confident that he won't be on next year's roster. Could I be wrong? Sure can be. We'll just have to wait and see how this plays out. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/9/2018 at 6:57 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

8 reasons Sam Bradford will be the Bills' starting QB in 2018

By Ryan Talbot | Contributing writer

There is no doubt that the Buffalo Bills are doing their homework on quarterbacks that will be available in the draft, via trade and in free agency. Buffalo's roster is good enough to win now as evidenced by their 9-7 season in 2017. To stay competitive this season, Buffalo may look for a veteran to start while grooming a rookie. Could that veteran be Sam Bradford? Here's a look at 8 reasons why Bradford will be the Bills' starter in 2018.

Most realistic option for Buffalo?
Worked briefly with Brian Daboll protege Josh McDaniels
Some experience in O Daboll will run
Ideal short-term bridge QB
Doesn't prevent Bills from selecting QB in draft
Accurate
Upgrade to Tyrod Taylor
Protects the ball

Maybe the plan is to sign Bradford, and if they are not able to get the QB they want in the draft, they use their picks to fill other holes.

Then if/when Bradford (inevitably) gets hurt and they have to start a crappy backup, we are able to get a high draft pick for 2019 and get our QB then...

lol

Seriously though, He wouldn't be my first choice by any means but Id actually be ok with Bradford if that was the best option available to Buffalo. He's a pretty good QB when he's on the field, especially in the right type of offense. His knees are just such a huge question mark. 

Edited by BillsFan4

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

Maybe the plan is to sign Bradford, and if they are not able to get the QB they want in the draft, they use their picks to fill other holes.

Then if/when Bradford (inevitably) gets hurt and they have to start a crappy backup, we are able to get a high draft pick for 2019 and get our QB then...

lol

Seriously though, He wouldn't be my first choice by any means but Id actually be ok with Bradford if that was the best option available to Buffalo. He's a pretty good QB when he's on the field, especially in the right type of offense. His knees are just such a huge question mark. I would obviously hope that if the Bills did sign him, that they f Had a way to draft a good QB prospect in the 1st though. 

I expect Bradford to be signed well before the draft with UFA starting in March.