Source: Bills all in on Peterman unless they can land Sam Darnold

45 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Beane said they want to win now and not plan for the future so I cant see Peterman being their guy

I believe he said he wants to plan for winning now and plan for the winning in future, not mutually exclusive. But yes, any plan with Peterman as a starting QB seems contrary to either goal.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Bucky Gleason couldn’t be any more less connected to both the Bills and Sabres if he tried. He has been purposely ignored, as have several in the local media, since 2011. That is a directive from on high. 

As as for the piece in today’s news, Bucky covered all the bases, with the idea of Petermen being just one of them. He expertly narrowed the QB question down to a free agent, a trade, a draft pick, or someone already on the roster. 

Bucky = Dunkirk Don?! :ph34r:

Edited by YoloinOhio

15 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Wow. After reading this thread my biggest takeaway is I am surprised on how many bills fans have completely given up on Peterman after one really bad outing. I don't make a decision on a guy until at least a half dozen games 

So you're not equally or more surprised by those anointing him the 2018 starter?  He also ended our playoff game with an interception, by the way.  I think those who are bit negative about his future at this point have more justification than a troll who has had a known affinity for below average Bills QB's for over a decade...

Just now, Hurricane Marv said:

So you're not equally or more surprised by those anointing him the 2018 starter?  He also ended our playoff game with an interception, by the way.  I think those who are bit negative about his future at this point have more justification than a troll who has had a known affinity for below average Bills QB's for over a decade...

I think everyone on the board overreacts to these kinds of threads, everyone wants to tear everyone down for just saying per an inside source. I take any "insider" thread with a grain of salt but I always enjoy reading them. Unfortunately they are always filled with pages of pages of "you are an idiot"  "you are a troll" blah blah, I just find it all a waste of time.

For your first point, I am not willing to move on from Peterman and just cut him because of his one bad game, but if the Bills are in position to get one of the top guys I am all for it but honestly I don't see it happening.

So I think the realistic outcome will be a bridge QB like Bradford or Smith, or we draft a guy in the late 1st/early 2nd and if that is the case then Peterman has a real shot to be the starter this year....like it or not.

Bring 3 qbs in the competition next spring, I just don't see the Bills giving away 3 1st rounders + more to get in top 5.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think that either of them is on the roster. Peterman’s best chance is for the Bills to land Cousins and skip a rookie in the draft. If the Bills sign a stop gap vet (like Bradford or Bridgewater) and draft a guy (maybe Rudolph) why would they carry 3? 

I'm more confident that Peterman more likely to be on the roster than TT. If he isn't then so be it.  He is an inconsequential player and an exchangeable player. I don't consider him starting material.. He has the smarts for the position but lacks the physical talents. He reminds me of a second-class Frank Reich type of player. If he is on the roster he will be as a backup. 

The more intriguing qb issue is: Which qb is the team going to pursue in free agency? And associated with that issue is: Are the Bills going to use a high pick for a qb? If the Bills acquire a qb such as Bridgewater then they may concentrate their efforts on addressing multiple needs instead of using pick/s to get a high-end qb prospect in this drafty. 

I don't want to be categorized as a Taylor basher because I am not. He has served this franchise well. However, the Taylor saga has played out. It's over!

3 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I think everyone on the board overreacts to these kinds of threads, everyone wants to tear everyone down for just saying per an inside source. I take any "insider" thread with a grain of salt but I always enjoy reading them. Unfortunately they are always filled with pages of pages of "you are an idiot"  "you are a troll" blah blah, I just find it all a waste of time.

You must consider the identity of the OP in order to understand the reaction to them. Reactions to source claims are generally based upon people's opinions of the poster offering them. 

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

For your first point, I am not willing to move on from Peterman and just cut him because of his one bad game, but if the Bills are in position to get one of the top guys I am all for it but honestly I don't see it happening.

So I think the realistic outcome will be a bridge QB like Bradford or Smith, or we draft a guy in the late 1st/early 2nd and if that is the case then Peterman has a real shot to be the starter this year....like it or not.

Bring 3 qbs in the competition next spring, I just don't see the Bills giving away 3 1st rounders + more to get in top 5.

People overreact because SaviorEdwards has been doing this since 2006...

I think this thread is just as much a response to his nonsense as it is an actual discussion over Peterman's future.

If Peterman was gone tomorrow and the Bills drafted another QB project in the 6th round next year, Savor would have a new obsession.

On 1/24/2018 at 12:40 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

People that are involved in high level business meetings don't call them high level business meetings.

You googled business terms last time you talked about these meetings to sound legit but it only made you sound robotic.

He's like that character from Bojack horseman. Vincent adultman. Unfortunately I don't have enough power business to watch cartoons

Well, considering Darnold will probably be the first QB off the board I doubt the Bills will land him. Anything anyone says from a team standpoint is most likely just smoke because they don't want their real intentions known to anyone.

As far as the ZERO interest in Mayfield, Jackson, and Rudolph can't be believed because if one of those guys is there when they pick they will take them. I get the idea they might even trade up for Mayfield. 

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm more confident that Peterman more likely to be on the roster than TT. If he isn't then so be it.  He is an inconsequential player and an exchangeable player. I don't consider him starting material.. He has the smarts for the position but lacks the physical talents. He reminds me of a second-class Frank Reich type of player. If he is on the roster he will be as a backup. 

The more intriguing qb issue is: Which qb is the team going to pursue in free agency? And associated with that issue is: Are the Bills going to use a high pick for a qb? If the Bills acquire a qb such as Bridgewater then they may concentrate their efforts on addressing multiple needs instead of using pick/s to get a high-end qb prospect in this drafty. 

I don't want to be categorized as a Taylor basher because I am not. He has served this franchise well. However, the Taylor saga has played out. It's over!

They are independent of one another. Tyrod wont be on the roster and Peterman might.  Peterman will depend on what they do with the position . A high end FA or trade probably is his best chance. A bridge vet and an early draft pick isn’t good for him.

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They are independent of one another. Tyrod wont be on the roster and Peterman might.  Peterman will depend on what they do with the position . A high end FA or trade probably is his best chance. A bridge vet and an early draft pick isn’t good for him.

You know the thing is I really want to like Peterman......he has accuracy...he has wheels....

He needs time......I dont for a second think the bills are hitching their wagon to just Peterman

How can people chalk Peterman up to being bad already? He played one half of football. You cannot base ANY quarterback on a half of a football game. Remeber when we beat the Patriots back in 2011? Brady threw 4 interceptions in that game.  FOUR. a guy who had 11 years experience, superbowl wins, and multiple playoff berths. My point is, you cannot base one game on a person's talent/longevity 

Edited by Steptide
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

You know the thing is I really want to like Peterman......he has accuracy...he has wheels....

He needs time......I dont for a second think the bills are hitching their wagon to just Peterman

Does he really have wheels though?  His 40 time was slower than Watson, Trubisky, Davis Webb, Mahomes, Watson, other dudes who don't matter, etc., and he never really proved this in a game. 

Wonder where this is coming from as he certainly doesn't have "speed" in a Mariota / Tyrod sense.  Are we just assuming that he can rumble if given the chance a la Blake Bortles?  Genuinely curious.

Edited by Hurricane Marv

7 minutes ago, Hurricane Marv said:

Does he really have wheels though?  His 40 time was slower than Watson, Trubisky, Davis Webb, Mahomes, Watson, other dudes who don't matter, etc., and he never really proved this in a game. 

Wonder where this is coming from as he certainly doesn't have "speed" in a Mariota / Tyrod sense.  Are we just assuming that he can rumble if given the chance a la Blake Bortles?  Genuinely curious.

JMO but I think he has reasonable mobility/short area quickness. He can only earn his keep as a passer but he can help himself out at times with his legs provided he gets his head out of harms way.

17 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

and he was in that game situation because of why?.....we couldn't get in the endzone the entire game?....and then it was on the spot pull it out duty?

Uh... yeah. Backups prepare like they're starting week in and week out. If this kid is as "cerebral" and "pro ready" as people make him out to be, he should've seen on film study that the Jags secondary is fast as hell, Ramsey especially. We can take a little of the blame off Peterman and throw Dennison under the bus for calling a crap game and not being able to adjust and find ways to beat their defense. But again, they know Ramsey goes all over the field, he's a ball hawk and a playmaker. And Peterman oughta know his own arm because if you're gonna throw that out-route on Ramsey you better let it fly the moment you hit your final step in your dropback and an accurate ball hits the receiver right in the numbers as soon as he breaks his route and turns around. Instead Peterman waited at the top of his dropback, threw a weak ball, Ramsey covered a bunch of field in a split second and picked him off.

And he was in the game because Taylor got his bell rung and this current regime felt comfortable with a 5th round rookie as their primary backup.

Edited by blacklabel

On 1/24/2018 at 1:59 PM, billsfan11 said:

Shows flashes? What exactly has he shown? The odd time he wont throw an interception, maybe?

Very good decisiveness. Quick release. Glaringly obvious when compared to Tyrod. Look at him like a scout, not like a fan. Undersized and potentially weak arm, sure. But there is some potential upstairs. SD game was terrible, everyone agrees, but imagine everybody gave up on you on your first day at the job.  

7 minutes ago, musichunch said:

Very good decisiveness. Quick release. Glaringly obvious when compared to Tyrod. Look at him like a scout, not like a fan. Undersized and potentially weak arm, sure. But there is some potential upstairs. SD game was terrible, everyone agrees, but imagine everybody gave up on you on your first day at the job.  

It's more like everybody giving up on you after five months of intensive training after watching you **** your pants during your first presentation.  90 day reviews exist for a reason.

Edited by Hurricane Marv

It's not talked about much but Peterman played pretty solid in the snow game until he made the dumb decision to dive headfirst instead of safely sliding.  I do believe if he had played the full game he would've led the Bills to a W.   He needs to shake off that INT bug in preseason.  After that SD debacle, when DB's see Peterman in the game they are cheating to get a jump on the ball.  He needs to make them pay and a good O-coordinator and help him.  

Just now, Hurricane Marv said:

It's more like everybody giving up on you after five months of intensive training only to watch you **** your pants during your first presentation.

Exactly.

Training for the hardest job in sports. If the coaching staff loves him, and they see him everyday, I'm interesting in seeing more. 

Your thought process is nasty. And says a lot about how you view yourself when you have a bad day. I hope Peterman has more self-esteem. 

1 minute ago, musichunch said:

Exactly.

Training for the hardest job in sports. If the coaching staff loves him, and they see him everyday, I'm interesting in seeing more. 

Your thought process is nasty. And says a lot about how you view yourself when you have a bad day. I hope Peterman has more self-esteem. 

Hahaha oh c'mon now.

My thought process is only to counter the fact that the OP (a known troll) has already anointed him the future starter so I'm clearly exaggerating to an extent.  You agree that he's our future starter at this point?  In that case then I'll paint you with a broad generalization as well and say that you don't know a damn thing about football.

Frankly though, it's the NFL, and if you don't have your stuff together after a season, or even a month, then you're not guaranteed anything.  This is not a mid-career desk job so your example is horrible.

31 minutes ago, Steptide said:

How can people chalk Peterman up to being bad already? He played one half of football. You cannot base ANY quarterback on a half of a football game. Remeber when we beat the Patriots back in 2011? Brady threw 4 interceptions in that game.  FOUR. a guy who had 11 years experience, superbowl wins, and multiple playoff berths. My point is, you cannot base one game on a person's talent/longevity 

It's a number of reasons steptide:

1) He's a 5th round pick, therefore he's no good because he lasted that long in draft. Nevermind the fact that most mid round guys are strictly developmental and probably shouldn't start an NFL game until at least their the 2nd NFL season at the earliest assuming their team believes they are ready. The fact the Bills thought NP was ready as a rookie either shows they are clueless or speaks volumes about how ready they thought he was in just his first NFL season. I still tend to believe the latter.

2) Fans still yearn for the next Jim Kelly but don't realize how rare JK and true franchise QB's really are. But even if we draft another 1st round QB this year it doesn't mean that guy is guaranteed to pan our or will be ready to play right away. He may still sit behind a guy like NP especially if he struggles in his first camp/preseason.

3) Most drought fans prior to finally making the playoffs again this year believe the standard for a QB is a guy like Tyrod Taylor, somebody that ocassionally plays a great game but is mostly below average throughout a 16 game season despite posting very deceptive stats. So when a guy like Peterman comes in and has a 5 INT game which essentially kills his qb rating on the entire season it makes the TT's and Fitzpatricks of the world look like superstars to them.

4) Most fans in general simply don't understand an NFL franchise thought process. The Bills (and just about every other NFL team) aren't going to make a predetermined judgement on NP because of what he did or didn't do in 2 NFL starts and a few games of mop up duty (including the end of the Jags playoff game). They are going to judge him based on what they see during the offseason and most importantly in training camp and preseason this summer to see if he's made the progress they expected. And again, even if this team drafts a 1st round QB it doesn't mean they are just going to toss a 5th round pick to the curb.

Bottom line at worse Peterman is an NFL caliber backup QB, and depending what the Bills do this offseason he'll get a shot to be a starter here. If for some reason the Bills pull a Cardale Jones on NP then he'll be on another teams roster next year but still think that's a longshot scenario.

6 minutes ago, Hurricane Marv said:

Let the backpedaling begin!

No backpeddling, I said 'at worse' because I believe that is the floor with NP....a very good NFL backup.

His ceiling is Drew Brees since he's pretty much the same exact player coming out of college that he was years ago.

1 minute ago, SaviorPeterman said:

No backpeddling, I said 'at worse' because I believe that is the floor with NP....a very good NFL backup.

His ceiling is Drew Brees since he's pretty much the same exact player coming out of college that he was years ago.

You initially claimed that the Bills were "all in" on him being a starter.

Now you're making a case for him being a competent NFL backup.

That's backpedaling.

1 minute ago, Hurricane Marv said:

That's backpedaling.

Things don't always go as planned, but if they do the sky is the limit with NP given his unique skill set and talent. He's a very smart kid (has a masters), hard worker, leader and very gritty on the field which is why he wasn't afraid to sling it despite the costly turnovers.

My point is that if they don't NP is still probably going to have a career with the Bills or another NFL team as a backup unless he doesn't want it.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Things don't always go as planned, but if they do the sky is the limit with NP given his unique skill set and talent. He's a very smart kid (has a masters), hard worker, leader and very gritty on the field which is why he wasn't afraid to sling it despite the costly turnovers.

My point is that if they don't NP is still probably going to have a career with the Bills or another NFL team as a backup unless he doesn't want it.

Oh it’s unique all right - he already hold some major records in his young career 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Hurricane Marv said:

That's backpedaling.

Doesn't SP have a high-level business meeting to attend?

32 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

So Peterman’s ceiling is the NFL’s all-time leader in passing yards and passing touchdowns? Seems reasonable...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So Peterman’s ceiling is the NFL’s all-time leader in passing yards and passing touchdowns? Seems reasonable...

yes.... becuz, like saviorpete just said, he's exactly the player brees was coming out of college. both were Heisman finalists. oh wait..... 

LOL.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Maybe that is THE ceiling, the one for all QB’s? I bet he’s under there somewhere......

4 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Just an FYI, Bucky Gleason who's well connected in Orchard Park circles wrote a piece on the Buffalo news today pretty much saying that reading between the lines he expects Nathan Peterman to be the starter in 2018. You have to be a paying member to read but here's the link:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/24/bucky-gleason-looking-for-bills-next-starting-qb-he-could-be-under-your-nose/

"Looking for the next starting QB? He could be right under your nose"

I very much agree that Peterman has a chance to be the starter next season.  All the signs point to Tyrod departing.   Chris Brown wrote an article today at BB.com essentially telling fans not to expect Buffalo to make a trade into the top five in the draft (and probably not in the top ten).  That means not Rosen, no Darnold, and probably no Allen.  Unless the Bills sign one of the top 3 or 4 available veteran free agents at QB, the Bills will likely have a QB competition between Peterman and whatever veteran the do sign (I think  they will sign somebody, but if it's not Cousins (it won't be), Alex Smith, Case Keenum, or Sam Bradford, Peterman has a realistic shot.

I have to say I don't think any rookie QB would look good vs the Chargers D-Line and overall defense. I think the Chargers have the best D-Line in the NFL.  I bet if you could poll our O-Line on who they would least like to see again I would bet it would be the Chargers. 

Then you have that crazy snow game which I thought he played well considering the weather conditions. 

Taylor did nothing vs that Jags defense, I was actually glad to see Peterman out there because it at lease gave me a little hope.

Overall it's not easy to evaluate Peterman in any of those situations. Im expecting him to have a good offseason and good TC next year, we will see where is goes after that.

26 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

(quoting Gleason) I very much agree that Peterman has a chance to be the starter next season.  All the signs point to Tyrod departing.   Chris Brown wrote an article today at BB.com essentially telling fans not to expect Buffalo to make a trade into the top five in the draft (and probably not in the top ten).  That means not Rosen, no Darnold, and probably no Allen.  Unless the Bills sign one of the top 3 or 4 available veteran free agents at QB, the Bills will likely have a QB competition between Peterman and whatever veteran the do sign (I think  they will sign somebody, but if it's not Cousins (it won't be), Alex Smith, Case Keenum, or Sam Bradford, Peterman has a realistic shot.

:rolleyes:

Kirby Jackson put it well but I'll put a bit less between the lines for us: 

I'm sure Daboll passed up the possibility he'd go back to New England to work with Tom Brady and hurried off to Orchard Park in order to use his 4th shot as an NFL OC on Nate Peterman.

Bucky is suffering from a bad case of BBFS IMO.  Memo to that TBN Sports Editor who comes around here sometimes: this quote is Exhibit A of why I won't pay your modest fee to be exposed to this crap. 

It's not that I'm saying Peterman is crap and can't become a good QB, but if the Bills want to change the culture and stress earning the right to win, that starts with the front office.  And that means, in fact, either signing one of the top available FA or drafting one of the top QB.  If they don't do either of those things, they are not to be taken seriously.  Peterman, at this point, has a ceiling of "possible future competent backup" until demonstrated otherwise in TC and preseason - I'm talking 65-70% completions there etc.

Rolling with a choice of Peterman, a later-draft rookie and some second tier vet would be the same-'ol same-'ol MO the Bills have dealt us for years.  If McBeane want to have a shred of credibility for "Trust the Process", they have got to try something else.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

8 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I have to say I don't think any rookie QB would look good vs the Chargers D-Line and overall defense. I think the Chargers have the best D-Line in the NFL.  I bet if you could poll our O-Line on who they would least like to see again I would bet it would be the Chargers. 

Then you have that crazy snow game which I thought he played well considering the weather conditions. 

Taylor did nothing vs that Jags defense, I was actually glad to see Peterman out there because it at lease gave me a little hope.

Overall it's not easy to evaluate Peterman in any of those situations. Im expecting him to have a good offseason and good TC next year, we will see where is goes after that.

that statement really stands out to me. him going in gave us at least a sliver of hope....3 points of offense up until that moment during the first playoff game in 17 years. i don't ever want to see tyrod in a bills uni again......and no he didn't get us there.

• Like (+1) 1