Source: Bills all in on Peterman unless they can land Sam Darnold

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

You are comfortable going into the season with a 5th rounder who looked completely lost, combined with the fact he has a very limited skill set?

A limited skill set? How so? He was the most nfl ready qb in last years draft according to experts. Again, I'm all for drafting a qb this year, but their is a lot of teams who need a qb and the bills may not be able to land their guy, and I'm 100% against just drafting any guy to play qb (ie Ej Manuel) 

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

You are comfortable going into the season with a 5th rounder who looked completely lost, combined with the fact he has a very limited skill set?

A lot of 1st round QB's also look lost, in fact most were calling Jared Goff a huge bust after his rookie season with the Rams when he through more INT's than TD's and struggled mightily in every aspect of game. Just take a look at the quantum leap he made from year two and what a difference a new offensive coaching staff and talent upgrade at WR made.

As for Peterman, again the guy is a 5th rounder that probably had no business seeing live action last year but he obviously showed enough behind closed doors for this team to bench Taylor midseason and give him a look even though it backfired. And I still don't think people are giving him enough credit for the Colts game as well considering we lose that one we don't make the playoffs.

Also I still think 2018 may be a 'step back' season anyway regardless who starts at QB given the expected and imminent roster overhaul incoming.

3 minutes ago, Steptide said:

A limited skill set? How so? He was the most nfl ready qb in last years draft according to experts. Again, I'm all for drafting a qb this year, but their is a lot of teams who need a qb and the bills may not be able to land their guy, and I'm 100% against just drafting any guy to play qb (ie Ej Manuel) 

The big knock was arm strength and people still don't understand that is something can be fixed with something called hitting the weight room which NP is no doubt already doing in the offseason.

This was also the apparent fatal flaw with guys like Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, Tom Brady etc and we know how their stories worked out even if their arms weren't that great early on in their careers.

Other than this issue Peterman has just about everything that NFL coaches and GM's salivate over which is why many thought he could be drafted as high as the 2nd round last year anyway.

3 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

As for Peterman, again the guy is a 5th rounder that probably had no business seeing live action last year but he obviously showed enough behind closed doors for this team to bench Taylor midseason and give him a look even though it backfired.

The guy who pushed for Peterman to start over Tyrod was just fired, in case you didn't notice.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Very Weak arm, limited speed, sloppy footwork. Those are a few at the top of my head

What tools does he possess that make you think he’s going to be a good NFL QB?

10 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I feel like you're taking one comment and trading that in for his skill set. NFL-ready just means he's taken snaps under center and has been asked to go through progressions. It does not mean "yeah he's the QB who can start immediately for your team." If the latter were true he wouldn't have been a 5th rounder. Best case scenario Peterman never steps foot on the field for us outside of the pre-season. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

A lot of 1st round QB's also look lost, in fact most were calling Jared Goff a huge bust after his rookie season with the Rams when he through more INT's than TD's and struggled mightily in every aspect of game. Just take a look at the quantum leap he made from year two and what a difference a new offensive coaching staff and talent upgrade at WR made.

As for Peterman, again the guy is a 5th rounder that probably had no business seeing live action last year but he obviously showed enough behind closed doors for this team to bench Taylor midseason and give him a look even though it backfired. And I still don't think people are giving him enough credit for the Colts game as well considering we lose that one we don't make the playoffs.

Also I still think 2018 may be a 'step back' season anyway regardless who starts at QB given the expected and imminent roster overhaul incoming.

Jared Goff was the 1st pick off the board and his skill set /potential is light years higher than Petermans

12 minutes ago, Steptide said:

So he was considered “the most NFL ready” meaning that he didn’t have far to go to be good? Yet when he played he was one of the worst ever (statistically he was). That doesn’t scare you?!? He wasn’t a guy that was like Cardale Jones. He wasn’t some raw prospect that could grow to be great or flop. He was, by your own admission, close to a finished product. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t know why we are continuing on with this ridiculous thread but let me ask it another way, what encouraged you about Peterman? He entered the league with accuracy concerns, arm strength concerns and struggled under pressure. The called him “Nervous Nate” in college. He came into the league, struggled under pressure, didn’t have the arm strength to get the ball into tight windows and missed guys. He completed less than half of his pass attempts to his guys (and another 10%+ to defenders). What is it that gives you hope? He is EXACTLY what the people that didn’t like him thought he was. In fact, he’s a worse version of that.

People talking about “mock drafts” when the actual scouts are all that matters. The most knowledgeable people liked him the least. It should come as no surprise that so many Bills fans like him. 

I’d be happy to debate this further but I’d rather defer to the scouting reports of @GunnerBill and @Blokestradamus. 

Tyrod accounted for 53.4% of the Bills offensive TDs in those 2 years (47 of 88). He missed a few games too. No reason to use hyperbole. Use facts 

I remember one thing about Blokes opinion of Peterman, and only one because it was quite memorable. Not sure if it was an official scouting report, but it was a meme of Peter Griffin from Family Guy with a gun in his mouth. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think people mistook "NFL ready" for actually being good.

All it meant was that Peterman should be able to understand NFL offensive concepts. Sadly, he lacks the physical tools needed to play the game at that level.

Not only did he turn the ball over a ton, he also got injured in a short window of playing time.

35 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

We had a very similar grade on him. I tend to like watching a QB all at once, in chronological order, but I had to do Peterman's in 3 different sittings. He was painful to watch and my notes started to slip into a string of expletives.

The kid didn't deserve what the team did to him against the Chargers but I've seen absolutely nothing that has changed my stance on him.

well it seems like you two did a much better, more in depth analysis than that fool....what's his name?.....oh yeah..jon gruden

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So he was considered “the most NFL ready” meaning that he didn’t have far to go to be good? Yet when he played he was one of the worst ever (statistically he was). That doesn’t scare you?!? He wasn’t a guy that was like Cardale Jones. He wasn’t some raw prospect that could grow to be great or flop. He was, by your own admission, close to a finished product. 

I was just making the point that he has all the tangibles of an NFL starter. Get some good recievers and a little better line play, and I think he can be very successful. Yes he was horrific against the Chargers, but so was the o line. 

AGAIN, I'm not against getting or drafting a qb, but I'm also comfortable letting Peterman start IF thats the way it works out 

1 minute ago, billsredneck1 said:

well it seems like you two did a much better, more in depth analysis than that fool....what's his name?.....oh yeah..jon gruden

:lol: You meant the Jon Gruden who loved every single QB without fail on each episode of his ESPN QB Camp show?  Another horrible take from you. 

2 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

You can’t criticize the Brits on their scouting prowess. They are awfully good and detailed.

Also, please list the QBs that appeared on Gruden’s QB camp that he didn’t like as prospects? 

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

I was just making the point that he has all the tangibles of an NFL starter. Get some good recievers and a little better line play, and I think he can be very successful. Yes he was horrific against the Chargers, but so was the o line. 

AGAIN, I'm not against getting or drafting a qb, but I'm also comfortable letting Peterman start IF thats the way it works out 

If you have an issue with the receivers and line you must be fine with Tyrod too because he did much more with the same talent than Peterman?

He may have the “intangibles” of an NFL QB but he doesn’t have the “tangibles.” He doesn’t have he physical skills. It is abundantly clear to anyone watching.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You can’t criticize the Brits on their scouting prowess. They are awfully good and detailed.

Also, please list the QBs that appeared on Gruden’s QB camp that he didn’t like as prospects? 

If you have an issue with the receivers and line you must be fine with Tyrod too because he did much more with the same talent than Peterman?

He may have the “intangibles” of an NFL QB but he doesn’t have the “tangibles.” He doesn’t have he physical skills. It is abundantly clear to anyone watching.

He doesn't even have the requisite intangibles with his demonstrated tendency to panic in the pocket when pressured.

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

To be honest, he also didn't seem all that bright. He took massive hits and managed to get himself knocked out cold and he barely even played this season.

He isn't going to last 16 games.

I think he is plenty intelligent, in a general sense. Football acumen though is questionable. 

33 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Asking again, what specifically encourages you about him? What is giving you the comfort to be “okay” with him as the starting QB?

i'll give you an example of what i see in him. you can watch a youtube video of his 4th qtr. drive against n.o.

i can't remember exact stats, but i think it was something like 7/10 80yds. td.  one incomplete hit benjamin in the hands and i believe there was another catch able drop too.  i don't care it was garbage time. if tyrod could have done the same thing, he would have still been in the game.

my point is that's what i want/expect to see out of our qb. he's decisive, quick and his ball placement is as good as you could possibly want. i think with a full off season, it' very possible that we could see that kind of play week in and week out.

that kind of play gets us the winning records and playoff.

7 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i can't remember exact stats, but i think it was something like 7/10 80yds. td.  one incomplete hit benjamin in the hands and i believe there was another catch able drop too.  i don't care it was garbage time. if tyrod could have done the same thing, he would have still been in the game.

Here's why I can't get behind this logic. Let's fast forward just 1 week.

In the 2nd half against the Chargers Tyrod was 15/25 for 158 and a TD, and had 4 runs for 38 yards and another TD. If Nate could have done the same thing he would still be the starter.

45 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Just an FYI, Bucky Gleason who's well connected in Orchard Park circles wrote a piece on the Buffalo news today pretty much saying that reading between the lines he expects Nathan Peterman to be the starter in 2018. You have to be a paying member to read but here's the link:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/24/bucky-gleason-looking-for-bills-next-starting-qb-he-could-be-under-your-nose/

"Looking for the next starting QB? He could be right under your nose"

i'd love to read it,but i'm in rochester so i don't want to subscribe.

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

This has got to be a smoke screen. 

The Bills actually want the QB who no one thinks they want. 

I think there might be something in that too.  If they are blowing lots of Darnold smoke (and maybe they are, maybe they aren't) it suggests to me Darnold is not their guy.  

13 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i'll give you an example of what i see in him. you can watch a youtube video of his 4th qtr. drive against n.o.

my point is that's what i want/expect to see out of our qb. he's decisive, quick and his ball placement is as good as you could possibly want. i think with a full off season, it' very possible that we could see that kind of play week in and week out.

I appreciate the response. The only thing that I take issue with is “ball placement is as good as you could possibly want.” That can’t be the case for a guy that completed less than 50 % of his passes. That’s a guy that’s inaccurate.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Here's why I can't get behind this logic. Let's fast forward just 1 week.

In the 2nd half against the Chargers Tyrod was 15/25 for 158 and a TD, and had 4 runs for 38 yards and another TD. If Nate could have done the same thing he would still be the starter.

but that was garbage time!:D

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I think there might be something in that too.  If they are blowing lots of Darnold smoke (and maybe they are, maybe they aren't) it suggests to me Darnold is not their guy.  

There was a ton of misinformation last year.

I don't know if the Darnold info is real, but I suspect that the Peterman info is totally a lie. 

I think they want the NFL to think they're good with what they've got at QB, but I feel like this could lead to them being really aggressive in trying to get a QB on draft day. 

I hope Mayfield is the guy they want. I think he can play immediately and make the offense better. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

I don't know if the Darnold info is real, but I suspect that the Peterman info is totally a lie. 

I think they want the NFL to think they're good with what they've got at QB, but I feel like this could lead to them being really aggressive in trying to get a QB on draft day. 

I hope Mayfield is the guy they want. I think he can play immediately and make the offense better. 

if a few of these qb needy teams make some fa/trade moves at qb, maybe just maybe he will slide.....

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I appreciate the response. The only thing that I take issue with is “ball placement is as good as you could possibly want.” That can’t be the case for a guy that completed less than 50 % of his passes. That’s a guy that’s inaccurate.

I have never thought he was that accurate.  I feel like it is a cliche that is always applied to Quarterbacks with weaker arms "smart and accurate".  I don't think Peterman was accurate in college.... he completed a lot of passes playing in a gimmicky short game offense... but his ball placement was no better than average.  

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The one I was on all the way through last year was the Bears pumping out "we are not going Quarterback." I had them taking a Quarterback in the 1st the whole way through.  I ended up plumping for Watson in my final mock and not Trubisky but they were ALWAYS going Quarterback.  

27 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

EJ had some good drives with us, too.  So did JP and Trent Edwards.   All these guys in the NFL have good enough arms that they can put together good drives.

But can they do it consistently?  NP had a truly miserable passer rating of 38 last season.  There's just no evidence that he can deliver consistently.  

The only guy I can think of who looked as bad as NP did his rookie year and then developed into a good NFL QB is Steve DeBerg.  And DeBerg never became that good.  

But in the end, I hope you and all the NP supporters are right.

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

EJ had some good drives with us, too.  So did JP and Trent Edwards.   All these guys in the NFL have good enough arms that they can put together good drives.

But can they do it consistently?  NP had a truly miserable passer rating of 38 last season.  There's just no evidence that he can deliver consistently.  

The only guy I can think of who looked as bad as NP did his rookie year and then developed into a good NFL QB is Steve DeBerg.  And DeBerg never became that good.  

But in the end, I hope you and all the NP supporters are right.

i myself have to consider nates playing time....ie. la chargers, i don't think we had one decent receiver on the field that day and that pass rush beyond belief....fast forward to the snowiest game in history...then through in a few plays in ne with horrible play calling ... then to the last drive of a playoff game.  i couldn't think of worse circumstances for a rookie to step into.

11 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i myself have to consider nates playing time....ie. la chargers, i don't think we had one decent receiver on the field that day and that pass rush beyond belief....fast forward to the snowiest game in history...then through in a few plays in ne with horrible play calling ... then to the last drive of a playoff game.  i couldn't think of worse circumstances for a rookie to step into.

I don't disagree and don't claim the guy's the worst QB to ever don a Bills uniform.

I just haven't seen enough in him to put him at the other end of the spectrum and envision him as a strong starter.  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Don’t forget this from last year at this time:

Buffalo Bills May Be Considering Cardale Jones as the Starting QB in 2017

http://thebiglead.com/2017/02/13/buffalo-bills-may-be-considering-cardale-jones-as-the-starting-qb-in-2017/

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Just an FYI, Bucky Gleason who's well connected in Orchard Park circles wrote a piece on the Buffalo news today pretty much saying that reading between the lines he expects Nathan Peterman to be the starter in 2018. You have to be a paying member to read but here's the link:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/24/bucky-gleason-looking-for-bills-next-starting-qb-he-could-be-under-your-nose/

"Looking for the next starting QB? He could be right under your nose"

Bucky Gleason couldn’t be any more less connected to both the Bills and Sabres if he tried. He has been purposely ignored, as have several in the local media, since 2011. That is a directive from on high. 

As as for the piece in today’s news, Bucky covered all the bases, with the idea of Petermen being just one of them. He expertly narrowed the QB question down to a free agent, a trade, a draft pick, or someone already on the roster.