Draft Day Trade - QB

wppete

A possible trade for us to get one of the top 3 QBs and not give up both 1st round picks.

Trade up with Indianapolis to #3. In return we Trade this years 1st round pick #21, this years 2nd round pick, next years 2nd round pick and LT Cordy Glenn (Indy desperately need help at LT to protect Andrew Luck) 

With the #3 pick overall we select Sam Darnold. (#1 Cleveland takes Josh Allen, #2 NYG takes Josh Rosen)

Do you guys think this is a good trade up? We still get 2 Fisrt round picks this year and still have our second rounder. 

2 minutes ago, wppete said:

A possible trade for us to get one of the top 3 QBs and not give up both 1st round picks.

Trade up with Indianapolis to #3. In return we Trade this years 1st round pick #21, this years 2nd round pick, next years 2nd round pick and LT Cordy Glenn (Indy desperately need help at LT to protect Andrew Luck) 

With the #3 pick overall we select Sam Darnold. (#1 Cleveland takes Josh Allen, #2 NYG takes Josh Rosen)

Do you guys think this is a good trade up? We still get 2 Fisrt round picks this year and still have our second rounder. 

The minimum to get that pick would be 3 first round picks.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The minimum to get that pick would be 3 first round picks.

3 first round picks??? Wow that is insane if that is the the case. Forget the trade up we can’t afford to give up that much while we are building. I guess stay put and take Mason Rudolph and hope he develops into a solid QB. 

1 minute ago, wppete said:

3 first round picks??? Wow that is insane if that is the the case. Forget the trade up we can’t afford to give up that much while we are building. I guess stay put and take Mason Rudolph and hope he develops into a solid QB. 

That is why Beane won't go up that far. The price to go up that high for a QB was really set with the Eagles trading up for Wentz and before that the RG3 disaster by Washington. The price is just too steep unless that is the only thing you need. I think it worked out for Phili because they had just a good foundation of talent in place. I dont think we are there yet.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, wppete said:

I think the premium is going to be like the RGIII trade a few years ago.  

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, wppete said:

Based on the Jimmy Johnson trade chart it'd take both of our firsts and both of our 2nds to move from 21 to 3.

Based on the newly revised trade chart floating around it'd take One of our firsts, our first next year, our higher 2nd, and the Eagles' 3rd.

28 minutes ago, ducej11 said:

That is why Beane won't go up that far. The price to go up that high for a QB was really set with the Eagles trading up for Wentz and before that the RG3 disaster by Washington. The price is just too steep unless that is the only thing you need. I think it worked out for Phili because they had just a good foundation of talent in place. I dont think we are there yet.

Philly also got one back for the bradford trade - Derek Barnett.  

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Based on the Jimmy Johnson trade chart it'd take both of our firsts and both of our 2nds to move from 21 to 3.

Based on the newly revised trade chart floating around it'd take One of our firsts, our first next year, our higher 2nd, and the Eagles' 3rd.

If Rosen is there at 3 I'm giving up that Jimmy Johnson package. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, wppete said:

I just posted about the Bills interest in Darnold but don't see them moving up to #3 to get him because of the cost. Should he fall later in the top 10 or teens I imagine they pounce.

The Colts are taking Bradley Chubb man.  If you look at their team and look at Chubb it's a perfect fit.  Secondly, Chubb is most likely THE BEST player in this draft irregardless of need.  So, given that, if Chubb is there do you think the Colts are going to give up the possibility of not just taking a guy who fills one of their needs, but taking a guy who may be regarded as the best overall player in the draft?  I think not.

4 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

What did the redskins have to give up again, was it 3 first round picks and 1 second?

Rams receive: 2012 first-rounder (No. 6: Traded to Cowboys), 2012 second-round selection (No. 39: CB Janoris Jenkins), 2013 first-rounder (No. 22: Traded to Falcons), 2014 first-rounder (No. 2: OT Greg Robinson) 

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I'd give up a lot of picks for #3 regardless right now and be happy with Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield. 

Rosen or Darnold for me, no way I give up that amount of wealth for Baker Mayfield. Ideally Sam Darnold is the guy, but Rosen is worth the risk too. If we fail, we're set back for 1-2 years. If we succeed, we are in the playoffs for the next 15 years. It would be a fun gamble and I think it'd be worth the risk.

23 minutes ago, VirginiaMike said:

shoot-me-now-please.jpg.16dd912b1a5ff072d26c134047f218a8.jpg

Having a franchise QB is worth the investment.

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Colts would laugh at that and hang up.

What if we ask nicely? 

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Can Cordy Glenn even walk anymore?

SHHHHH! They might be listening! 

Thanks to the own ineptness, the Colts do need to stockpile some picks to build a roster. So....who knows? But at what price? For Darnold I’d pay a pretty penny, then spend a couple drafts trading back for more picks. 

4 hours ago, wppete said:

Recommend you look at the trade value chart if you're going to make trade threads. 

In my view, to get up to #3 from where the Bills are will take:

The discussion BEGINS with what the Rams got in the RGIII trade:

2017 1st

2017 1st

2018 1st

2017 2nd

PLUS a bit more due to the number of teams who want that pick due to QB

2018 2nd 

2017 3rd

That gives the Bills 1 pick in round 1 (the QB), 1 in round 2, and none in round 3 this year. Next year they would have no picks in rounds 1 or 2. You MIGHT be able to make the 2018 2nd a 2019 pick, but if I'm the Colts I have an itchy hang up the phone finger. Someone will pay the price. How badly do you want your franchise guy?

NOW, if you are telling me that paying this price gets you Carson Wentz (MVP candidate in year #2) or better then I do it. It's worth every bit of capital.

If I'm the Colts and Josh McDaniels I see a chance to absolutely load my team with young talent to go with Luck and create a new AFC dynasty with all that capital. They have Luck and need depth on that roster. I would make that trade from the Colts perspective in a heartbeat. McDaniels of all people knows Brady is near the end, and the AFC is a joke overall. If Luck is healthy and you add all that talent who is going to stop you from getting to multiple Super Bowls? All the great young QBs are in the NFC.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Jacobo Peterman said:

If u mortgage the future and whiff u set the team back years i.e. JP Losman .. EJ Manual.   I like the idea of 4 To 5 young guys on original contracts. 

We didn't even give up anything to get EJ.

We actually traded back that year, and got extra picks.

It was a weak draft that many teams whiffed on players, including a bunch if trash taken between our original #8 and the spot we took EJ.

Nobody mortgaged the future for EJ.

Losman the only pick that mattered was #20 the following year.

We COULD have drafted Rodgers. 

We also COULD have whiffed and drafted Jason Campbell, or any other one of the trash taken around them.

Giving up 3 first rnd and other picks this year though is a "mortgage the future" move.

If it whiffs, we are left without a QB, and without other possible young talent.

If it hits a home run, it's worth every penny.

If they evaluate a guy they really want, go for it.

If it misses then it misses.

If one of the QBs becomes elite, we will be upset too though, especially if they go to the Jets.

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

Rosen or Darnold for me, no way I give up that amount of wealth for Baker Mayfield. Ideally Sam Darnold is the guy, but Rosen is worth the risk too. If we fail, we're set back for 1-2 years. If we succeed, we are in the playoffs for the next 15 years. It would be a fun gamble and I think it'd be worth the risk.

Yeah, I don't know, I see Mayfield as on the same level or only a very slim hair below Rosen and Darnold. But I agree on the general thought that the picks required to be given up are likely worth it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Look, I have no idea which QB to draft. None of us is privy to either Cordy Glenn's or Andrew Luck's medical condition either. And EVERY draft pick has a chance of busting. We hired Beane and McD to do a job. We need to trust in their judgement. I like the moves they have made so far. I believe they will make a good decision. If they decide to move up in the draft it is gonna cost a bundle. Whatever the cost just do it. I firmly believe that Cousins either stays in Washington or ends up in Denver, New York or maybe Arizona. I don't think there is any way he ends up in a Bills uniform. It comes down to where HE wants to be. If I am wrong about this fine. My gut feeling is that the Bills end up trading up. I don't know for whom. And I don't think handsize is gonna be a big factor in this decision.

Just do it. Whatever it takes.

3 hours ago, wppete said:

Just found this article. Pretty much the same trade but for Andrew Luck. Would you make that trade?????

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/1/24/16913974/taking-a-look-at-a-possible-buffalo-bills-trade-for-indianapolis-colts-quarterback-andrew-luck

Yes, yes you absolutely make that trade.

Personally, during the season I posted a thread really hoping the Colts would end up at #2 to ensure themselves getting either Darnold or Rosen so that they would be a ready and willing trade partner for either the draft pick or for Darnold or Rosen.

But if the Colts are willing to part with Luck... pull the trigger.