Bob Costas Dumped From NBC Super Bowl Team

Rico

Costas is great. Although to be honest I haven't seen him in years, he was always classy and smart. And he stands a good chance of being right about concussions and football.

Their loss.

Hope their team, whoever they are, does a good job.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Costas is great. Although to be honest I haven't seen him in years, he was always classy and smart. And he stands a good chance of being right about concussions and football.

Their loss.

Hope their team, whoever they are, does a good job.

I agree with you completely about this.  And disagree with you vehemently on anything *Patriot related.

52 minutes ago, Rico said:

https://nypost.com/2018/01/22/did-nbc-dump-bob-costas-from-super-bowl-for-concussion-talk/

Very glad this douche didn't get to go out on his own terms.

I will give him props though for playing himself in Pootietang. Sa da tay!

Why the hate for Costas?  Honest question.  And just for clarification can you answer yes or no if you made it out of high school?

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Why the hate for Costas?  Honest question.  And just for clarification can you answer yes or no if you made it out of high school?

I've always liked Costas but it seems like he got very preachy in recent years.

• Like (+1) 3

I can't stand Costas. He used to be a good commentator 25 years ago back before he started injecting his mind-numbing self-righteous bull **** into the conversation.

The guy knows !@#$ all about football too. I remember Collinsworth et. al. ripping on him on Inside the NFL for not knowing jack **** about the sport.

Stick to women's gymnastics, Bob.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Bob turned into Howard Cosell, realizing that sports is overall empty and pointless in the face of solving real problems in society. The fact that Bob mocked Howard for being preachy makes it twice as ironic.

Bob did a great podcast recently, with Bill Simmons???, but had to take a five minute tirade to recite his accomplishments because some kid on Twitter made fun of him.

I can see why NBC would want to silence Costas.

He represents everything the corporate ownership of this country despises.  

He is intelligent, articulate, and a critical thinker.

He probably scares the hell out of everyone involved.

I would love to see Costas continue in his career in a non-traditional role in which he doesn't work for a corporate interest.

He's the smartest thing that ever touched sports broadcasting in America.

• Like (+1) 7

5 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Cheap shot & totally uncalled for, grow up.

Agree some of the takes about Costas he was good back in the 80s when he was just an announcer, I think he got bored with sports & now tries to push his egotistical views on the public.  Bob stop taking yourself so seriously.  His take about concussions is dead on imo though.

Edited by Gordio

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

Bob turned into Howard Cosell, realizing that sports is overall empty and pointless in the face of solving real problems in society. The fact that Bob mocked Howard for being preachy makes it twice as ironic.

Bob did a great podcast recently, with Bill Simmons???, but had to take a five minute tirade to recite his accomplishments because some kid on Twitter made fun of him.

I agree that Costas is too bright to be fulfilled by sports broadcasting alone.  He is no doubt a huge sports fan, but the guy could have done a lot more and I often wonder why he didn't want to go the news broadcasting route, for example.

He could have been another Dan Rather/Tom Brokaw/Peter Jennings type.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I always thought that I was in the minority as a Bob Costas "hater."  Pleases me to see that, obviously, that is not the case.

Dude, he was good as NBC sports' NFL studio anchor....WHEN I WAS A TEENAGER.

Since then, he's turned into a grade-a asshat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I never was a fan of his as he came off sarcastic and self righteous.  Not his content, just the way he presented himself and the material.

That being said he is completely right about CTE and concussions.  I won't let my kids play football.  I'll watch, as hypocritical as that sounds, but the day they stop playing because people don't want to risk it I won't blame them for it.

5 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Dude, he was good as NBC sports' NFL studio anchor....WHEN I WAS A TEENAGER.

Since then, he's turned into a grade-a asshat.

I couldn't agree more.

1 minute ago, JinxedBill1 said:

I never was a fan of his as he came off sarcastic and self righteous.  Not his content, just the way he presented himself and the material.

That being said he is completely right about CTE and concussions.  I won't let my kids play football.  I'll watch, as hypocritical as that sounds, but the day they stop playing because people don't want to risk it I won't blame them for it.

I finally let my son play last year in 7th grade.  He played this year also.  I got to tell you I wrestled with this one for a long time but in the end he wanted to play & I didn't want to be the guy depriving him of that.  Careless parenting maybe, time will tell.  My son is a pretty good athlete, he plays high level travel baseball & is very good at basketball.  I love watching him play those two sports.   I don't get any enjoyment out of watching him play football.  I am always worried about him getting hurt & I just don't find high school football that interesting; at least at the Freshman/JV level where my son plays.  He is on th fence about going out for the team next year.  I hope he choses to go out for the golf team instead. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I finally let my son play last year in 7th grade.  He played this year also.  I got to tell you I wrestled with this one for a long time but in the end he wanted to play & I didn't want to be the guy depriving him of that.  Careless parenting maybe, time will tell.  My son is a pretty good athlete, he plays high level travel baseball & is very good at basketball.  I love watching him play those two sports.   I don't get any enjoyment out of watching him play football.  I am always worried about him getting hurt & I just don't find high school football that interesting; at least at the Freshman/JV level where my son plays.  He is on th fence about going out for the team next year.  I hope he choses to go out for the golf team instead. 

It has to be their decision so I can't fault you in it.  My boys aren't old enough yet but when they are I'll be honest with them about it.  Scares the heck out of me though.  I got about 5 years before they are old enough to start playing, should be interesting to see where CTE is in that time span and the NFL.  

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I agree that Costas is too bright to be fulfilled by sports broadcasting alone.  He is no doubt a huge sports fan, but the guy could have done a lot more and I often wonder why he didn't want to go the news broadcasting route, for example.

He could have been another Dan Rather/Tom Brokaw/Peter Jennings type.

Maybe he didn't like the work load those daily anchors had. It seems like i very rarely ever hear or see Costas. Those other guys work 5 days a week year round and then do other special things throughout the year.

7 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I've always liked Costas but it seems like he got very preachy in recent years.

He, like a lot of broadcasters and sports journalists started becoming political in recent years. And no matter where one stands on issues, it's unnecessary to inject politics into sports.

I think most of us watch the games as a diversion from everyday life. Still not sure why someone like Costas thinks he can tell us how to think about certain issues.

For some it seems like they're trying to hurt the sport or sports that has made them.  The NFL seems to be some sports media types' target.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That comes from being a Syracuse Newhouse grad. :D

hey, watch it.  SU Grads are great.  Bob was great, until he decided to become preachy.  This is a problem that impacts a lot of sportscasters, IMO.  They are not really reporting "real news," and I think get a bit jealous of those that do.  Regardless, the really great sportscasters make listening to the game fantastic.  

4 hours ago, JinxedBill1 said:

It has to be their decision so I can't fault you in it.  My boys aren't old enough yet but when they are I'll be honest with them about it.  Scares the heck out of me though.  I got about 5 years before they are old enough to start playing, should be interesting to see where CTE is in that time span and the NFL.  

One of the many reasons I am so happy to have girls. They know I played and my eldest has asked me about it, but she's much more keen on soccer, dance and gymnastics. Injuries can be bad in two of the three, but nothing like the concussions I, and the vast majority of college and pro football players, suffered. If CTE is caused by concussions, I can add myself to the list as I estimate about 8 or 9.

1 hour ago, Badthingsman said:

It all started going downhill after this:

ku-xlarge.jpg.3019a46326419255b8a53a90bc886ec4.jpg

What were the circumstances surrounding this photo?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Bob is a baseball guy thru and thru. Intelligent guy just over top 

it's Phys Ed teacher syndrome, you get older and it's not as fun anymore to play along with games and ignore deeper issues.

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

He, like a lot of broadcasters and sports journalists started becoming political in recent years. And no matter where one stands on issues, it's unnecessary to inject politics into sports.

I think most of us watch the games as a diversion from everyday life. Still not sure why someone like Costas thinks he can tell us how to think about certain issues.

For some it seems like they're trying to hurt the sport or sports that has made them.  The NFL seems to be some sports media types' target.

This sums up the issue well.  Everything does not have to be political.  He is the worse example - gives his opinion and degrades those who disagree.