Scot McCloughan on Kirk Cousins: "I Don't See Special" - Headed for UFA

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Can't read the data, but I'm not surprised. 

Thanks about Schaub.   

The real point is that you don't many shots at guys who have had success in the league.  

Heck, when Brees was a free agent, people were worried that he'd bust.  

Click on HBF's image and it will open up in a window where you can read it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Can't read the data, but I'm not surprised. 

I know, sorry.  If you click on the table, it opens in a new window (provided your settings allow this) which will be clearer and more readable

Thanks about Schaub.   

The real point is that you don't many shots at guys who have had success in the league.  

Heck, when Brees was a free agent, people were worried that he'd bust.  

Yes, exactly.  Brees became a FA because he had a torn-up rotator cuff and San Diego had a high-quality 1st round pick sitting on the bench behind him.  Cousins may become a FA (or cost Wash. a fortune) because McCloughan mishandled his contract when he had the option to sign him up.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Zay has the worst year a receiver has had in like the last 5 seasons by the advanced metrics (notice how far below anyone else he is graded). http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

The Bills CANNOT be counting on that guy. If he contributes it’s found money but he did nothing to inspire confidence. He was historically bad. 

Peterman's first game historically bad.  Zay's first season, historically bad.  Better hope the braintrust figures out offense.

36 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Click on HBF's image and it will open up in a window where you can read it.

Thanks.

Now people will start arguing other things - wins, playoffs, etc.   But I start with the nunsserbers, because I've found that a broad range of stats don't lie.   You can cherry pick stats, but if you like at the most important stats, you generally find good correlation between the best players and good stats.   Passer rating does it all wrapped up into one number, but you can look at it individually and you get similar results.   

And here you have it.  Look at the guy's numbers - he's right in there with the guys who are in the second half of the top 10, right after Hall of Famers.   If he's putting up these numbers and not winning in Washington, what makes him worse than Stafford, who's putting up comparable numbers and not winning in Detroit?   I don't get it.

But it isn't up to me, or you.   It's up to Beane and McDermott.  If THEY think he's top 10, then I think the Bills should be serious bidders for the guy.   If they don't think he's top 10, they have to move on to another plan.  

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know 26 that well, but I wouldn't dump on him that much.  

Just a mannerly, deserved 'poke' at 26CB from SBF.  Over in the Bridgewater thread 26CB is thrashing at me for asking him to justify his claim that TB is a much better QB than TT despite stats - how dare I question him, I should do my own research to prove his point!

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

As for Jimmy, I like his prospects, but he hasn't proven anything to me yet.   Paying him 25 is a much bigger risk than paying Cousins 25.

Concur

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

What he doesn't get is that Cousins is solidly in the range of 5th to 12th best QB in the league.   Look at his stats over the past three years.   Same as Stafford's, better than Newton's (who's really had only one good year).   People rave about Luck - Cousins has been better.  Matt Ryan's had one blowout year; otherwise, he's struggled to put up numbers as good as Cousins, and he's throwing to Julio Jones.   

Cousins isn't Rodgers, I know.   But look at the guys who are in the 12 to 20 range of QBs - Eli, Flacco, Taylor, Dalton.   I can't believe he wouldn't want Cousins over those guys. 

Oh, I agree.   

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

But it isn't up to me, or you.   It's up to Beane and McDermott.  If THEY think he's top 10, then I think the Bills should be serious bidders for the guy.   If they don't think he's top 10, they have to move on to another plan.  

He's not top ten, imo, Shaw.  He's definitely not a 30 million dollar a year qb, which is what he might end up getting.  Seems to me that would completely subvert the attempt to get the cap to a nice, friendly place for us.  Don't know much about the oline draft, but guys on offense this team could use:  Baker Mayfield, Sony Michel, Christian Kirk.

20 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

He will stay in Washington, wait and see.

All this media hype for nothing

He may.  Of course, if they franchise him, he'll have no choice.  But to franchise him would seriously hinder their ability to build a roster.

They've built themselves a dilemma, all self inflicted

But if he doesn't, and it can be done, I would sign him, no question, and keep our draft picks to put pieces around him.

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

He's not top ten, imo, Shaw.  He's definitely not a 30 million dollar a year qb, which is what he might end up getting.  Seems to me that would completely subvert the attempt to get the cap to a nice, friendly place for us.  Don't know much about the oline draft, but guys on offense this team could use:  Baker Mayfield, Sony Michel, Christian Kirk.

Who would you call top ten, then, and based upon what criteria?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Peterman's first game historically bad.  Zay's first season, historically bad.  Better hope the braintrust figures out offense.

It’s a little scary that the 2 offensive skill players selected were atrocious. Couple that with the fact that they were comfortable with Tolbert the #2 back and it gives you pause. Hopefully they can address that this offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

He will stay in Washington, wait and see.

All this media hype for nothing

He might stay in Washington, but I think there are several things causing him to leave, and in particular making Buffalo look like a good choice. 

First, everything suggests that he's unhappy with Washington.   Sure, it's history, but that stuff eats at people.   He's had to earn the job, over and over again.   I can't remember a franchise being so reluctant to keep a high-performing QB in the starting job.   I think that bothers him.   

Second, he's a mid-western, straight-laced guy.   The east coast is different from Indiana and Michigan, and I wouldn't be surprised if he just doesn't like it there. 

Third, he's a serious Christian.   Washington doesn't have much of an ecclesiastical feel to it.   Although it's not likely to drive his decision, but in the back of his mind, something about having a serious Christian coach probably appeals to him.   (Enter McDermott.)

Fourth, I don't know what Gruden is like, but we know what McDermott is like.   It's all about the process.   He has a process for everything, a reason for everything he does and everything he wants his team to do.   That's who Cousins is - constantly planning, organizing, following a process to get where he wants to go. 

Fifth, Buffalo is the midwest, where he's from. 

Sixth, he seems like the kind of guy who could buy into the mission - finally win a Lombardi for Buffalo.   

Seventh, unlike Washington, the Bills don't have an !@#$ owner.   The Bills' owners are serious, down-to-earth people who genuinely care about people and show it.   That will appeal to Cousins.  

So, yes, Cousins may very well stay in DC.   But if he really wanted to stay in DC, he would have had a contract by now.   I think he wants to go.   And I think Buffalo may very well be attractive to him.  

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Who would you call top ten, then, and based upon what criteria?

I'm sure there are folks who go by quantifiable metrics.  That can be helpful; I'm not dismissing analytics.  But I don't spend time on that, so I can't offer that kind of criteria.  Nor am I an expert, just a fan on a message board.  I'll leave off fellas like Brady, Brees, Rodgers who are elite and future HOF guys.  To me, a guy like Romo was borderline top ten.  He was top ten if you discount playoff failures.  Current crop, I think a guy like Carr is top ten, though this year he was not.  I don't know if that was injury or not.  Cousins has decent numbers.  He might fall in top ten by criteria that just looks at completion percentage and yardage.  OTOH, he doesn't seem clutch.  I don't think he elevates the play of those around him.  I think he's a pretty good qb, but not worth the price tag he will likely garner.

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

So, yes, Cousins may very well stay in DC.   But if he really wanted to stay in DC, he would have had a contract by now.   I think he wants to go.   And I think Buffalo may very well be attractive to him.  

Seems to me I recollect his coach making rather snide comments about him recently.  I don't think Gruden would have done that if Washington planned on trying to keep him.  And I guess that this implies Cousins probably is not keen to stay there either.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It's all about whether he's top 10 or not, and I get that people disagree.   But if he is top 10, then someone will pay upwards of 30 AND IT WILL BE THE RIGHT DECISION.   It may not work out, in which case you have a cap problem for a while, but if he's good but not at the top of the league, the fact that you're paying him $5 million more than he should get doesn't matter.   He has more impact on the game than the two guys you'd get for that $5 million.  

One thing is sure - he's getting a big deal.   

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm sure there are folks who go by quantifiable metrics.  That can be helpful; I'm not dismissing analytics.  But I don't spend time on that, so I can't offer that kind of criteria.  Nor am I an expert, just a fan on a message board.  I'll leave off fellas like Brady, Brees, Rodgers who are elite and future HOF guys.  To me, a guy like Romo was borderline top ten.  He was top ten if you discount playoff failures.  Current crop, I think a guy like Carr is top ten, though this year he was not.  I don't know if that was injury or not.  Cousins has decent numbers.  He might fall in top ten by criteria that just looks at completion percentage and yardage.  OTOH, he doesn't seem clutch.  I don't think he elevates the play of those around him.  I think he's a pretty good qb, but not worth the price tag he will likely garner.

Seems to me I recollect his coach making rather snide comments about him recently.  I don't think Gruden would have done that if Washington planned on trying to keep him.  And I guess that this implies Cousins probably is not keen to stay there either.

Romo's a good comparison.   Cousins has comparable stats for Romo's early years.   

Carr looked pretty weak sometimes this season.   I wouldn't be too quick to bet on him.    

It's not an easy call.  

It's all about whether he's top 10 or not, and I get that people disagree.   But if he is top 10, then someone will pay upwards of 30 AND IT WILL BE THE RIGHT DECISION.   It may not work out, in which case you have a cap problem for a while, but if he's good but not at the top of the league, the fact that you're paying him $5 million more than he should get doesn't matter.   He has more impact on the game than the two guys you'd get for that $5 million.  

One thing is sure - he's getting a big deal.   

I would rather spend FA money bolstering OL and DL and try and get a young, cost controlled qb with franchise qb potential who can play for fifteen years.  But see, I like Mayfield and I think you can get him without sacrificing all your draft capital to move up and get him; but you will have to move up, imo.

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's a product of high volume passing attempts in schemes designed by Sean McVay and Jay Gruden that greatly padded his statistics.  He isn't a high level decision maker with great accuracy who makes his teammates better. The following are all QBs I'd rather have instead of him:

Rodgers
Brady
Brees
Roethlisberger
Matt Ryan
Carson Wentz
Russell Wilson

Jimmy Garoppolo
Phillip Rivers
Matthew Stafford
Cam Newton

Appreciate that you take the time to answer how you feel and your opinion.  Many people don't even do that.  I agree with most of the QBs you have listed that I would rather have than Cousins.  Thing is that at least 4 of those QBs are like once in a lifetime you got damn lucky to find type QBs.  Those are ones that if you are waiting to hit on you are going to wait forever.  There are probably 4 more on that list that I would call better.  A couple, I would say are too early to tell. Then the rest I would say are about the same. 

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If you did sign Cousins you would still have to upgrade WR or what's the point? I suppose KB is an upgrade once healthy. Zay maybe. You need at least one more.

If they signed Cousins they have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.  Surely they can find a receiver or are there no receivers in this draft?  I cant answer that because I don't watch college football.

• Like (+1) 1

Also, I pump the breaks on Garoppolo.  Sure he looked decent but to sit there and claim he is better than Cousins already is ridiculous to me.  He played in 6 games this season and has 7 TDs to 5 INTs.  I'm sure he had some good highlights... but he turned the ball over almost as much as he scored and that's never good.  There have been many QBs that looked good after 6 games and went on to be terrible backups or out.  Cousins has done well for a few years, not just a few games.

Edited by Scott7975

14 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I would rather spend FA money bolstering OL and DL and try and get a young, cost controlled qb with franchise qb potential who can play for fifteen years.  But see, I like Mayfield and I think you can get him without sacrificing all your draft capital to move up and get him; but you will have to move up, imo.

The path you described is definitely an option that I would hope Beane and McD are considering that and all the others.

You can hit and hit big with this OR you have to accept the risk that it will not work out that way.

Every one who thinks rationally can see that.  Let's say in 2018 Mayfield goes 6-10 (struggles some like expected).  No big deal.

2019 things get better and the team goes 8-8,  Great, we are on the right path.  2020 comes and it's 8-8.

Now what?  TSW is screaming for McD's head and .......................................

Hindsight will say............should of bundled all the picks it took to get Darnold (for example).  The guy is tearing it up in 'wherever.

Or, Cousins went to the Jets and they just won the AFC East in 2019.

These 3 "options" concerning a QB all have risk and reward.  My fervent hope is that Beane and McD have a coherent plan (process if you will).

Whatever they choose, I really hope they are flexible enough to recognize a mistake and have options to move on.

When it comes to the QB FA market, what Shaw, others and I are saying, 28 million (what I think Cousins will sign for) is the fair market value.

If OBD signed Cousins and it does not work out for the best, they better have thought of that and get the team out of it as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I "get it" that people distrust stats and like to perform the "eyeball test" - and it's probably, truth be told, done by experts as well.  One can outsmart oneself with stats at times.

But "top 10" is still a quantifiable metric in that if one thinks there are 10 guys better, one should be able to name them? 

Some people would say that Romo was not "clutch", counting playoff failures.  In truth, I subscribe to the notion that whether or not a player is "clutch" and elevates the play of those around him, in good part depends upon whether those around him have play to be elevated - Roethlisberger to Antonio Brown, Kelly to Thomas or Reed, Any QB with a hand on the end of his arm to Larry Fitzgerald etc.  One can outsmart oneself with eyeballs over stats at times, too (eg Rob Johnson)

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

That is definitely a path to consider.  I too would prefer them to perform a modest trade up over a "draft capital spending spree".   But if the Bills choose that and want to continue on the upward trend, they need to spend at least some of that FA money bringing in a vet QB who can take the snaps if the rookie needs to learn for a year, and they need to be prepared to take several shots on drafting that "franchise QB potential guy" in the 1-2 round over the next years.

I don't know enough about college FB to have an opinion on Mayfield.  He certainly has some gaudy numbers. 

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

[responding to list

Rodgers
Brady
Brees
Roethlisberger
Matt Ryan
Carson Wentz
Russell Wilson

Jimmy Garoppolo
Phillip Rivers
Matthew Stafford
Cam Newton]

Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger are Hall of Fame QBs.   If you're objective is to get a Hall of Fame QB, then Cousins is not for you.   You're only chance is to draft one, which means you have to go all in on trading up every few years until you hit one.   I don't think that's a good strategy for building a team, but if that's what you want, I won't argue with you.

Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Roeth, Ryan, and Rivers are at the top of the game, no question.  That's six.

Wentz and Garappolo are the young hotshots.  They may be great.  They may fade.  They fall into the bin of "not yet proven".  Would I rather have them, sure, because they're young and look as though they're trending up.

And after that, IMHO, is where the "eyeball test" alone can be deceptive.  Wilson, without a lot of team around him this year, struggled.  If you don't like stats, you can see it in the Seasnakes games.  Without a strong run game and good line, they struggled to get something going.  Wilson is not the pocket passer who can carry a team on his arm, if that's what we're seeking.  Neither is Cam Newton.  They can both extend plays with their feet and produce miracles, but strong passing all game may take you further as a steady diet.  That's the "eyeball test", but if you like stats, neither Wilson nor Newton average much over 230 ypg in their careers, Wilson's completion percentage is a good 2% lower than the top guys and 1.5% lower than Cousins.  Newton's is not good - career less than 59%. 

Stafford has a great arm and just got paid - but if you're speaking of a guy who's a product of a high-volume passing attack, he would be the poster child most years.  His completion percentage is way lower than Cousins and his YPA are a full 0.5 yd lower than Cousins, and his TD/INT ratio is exactly the same.

Opinions can vary, but to put Newton, Stafford, and arguably Wilson ahead of Cousins as a QB is certainly very debatable.  It can't really be defended on stats.  Wilson is the only one of the three I'd rather have, and that's because I don't have a problem with a run-first or run-centric offense.  Expect him to be a pocket passer and he'll give you fits.

Garoppolo is unproven.   Stafford hasn't outplayed Cousins.   Cousins actually is a better quarterback than Newton.  

It leaves Cousins where I've said he is - not a Hall of Famer but a top 10 quarterback in the current NFL.  

We seem to agree

I just don't know where you're getting this conclusion that he isn't a good QB.   What do you want from the guy?   

Ha ha that's my question for McCloughan.  And probably Cousins and his agent's question to the Washington FO.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Also, I pump the breaks on Garoppolo.  Sure he looked decent but to sit there and claim he is better than Cousins already is ridiculous to me.  He played in 6 games this season and has 7 TDs to 5 INTs.  I'm sure he had some good highlights... but he turned the ball over almost as much as he scored and that's never good.  There have been many QBs that looked good after 6 games and went on to be terrible backups or out.  Cousins has done well for a few years, not just a few games.

Same thing with Wentz.  Has he looked good, yes.  Trending upward?  Yes.  Is his ACL tear a freak thing, or a seat on the "could have been great if only..." train?  Wait and see.

If any combination of Brady, Roethlisberger and Brees retire in the next year or two, Cousins becomes an elite QB by default. He's a far better and younger passer than Alex Smith. Yes, I still want the Bills to draft a young QB for once in their miserable history but Cousins would be the ideal bridge QB to mentor and keep us competitive

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, stuvian said:

If any combination of Brady, Roethlisberger and Brees retire in the next year or two, Cousins becomes an elite QB by default. He's a far better and younger passer than Alex Smith. Yes, I still want the Bills to draft a young QB for once in their miserable history but Cousins would be the ideal bridge QB to mentor and keep us competitive

He is young, he would be MUCH more than just a "Bridge Quarterback"....

3 minutes ago, stuvian said:

If they sign Cousins for something like 5 yrs 25 M he will be more than a bridge. They can then use their draft picks to plug the numerous holes.

With Cousins, you know what you are getting and I think it’s enough to win in the playoffs. We have the cap space for a front loaded deal and the draft picks to fill other holes would be great.  

I’m all for a 5 year deal that is more team friendly in the last 2 years. 

Is he top 10?  Maybe 8-10, but he’ll be the best in the AFC East in a few years and that’s what matters.  

6 minutes ago, stuvian said:

He's either elite or not irrespective of any other QBs and he simply isn't.  If the Bills do sign Cousins to a high priced deal, he will not be a bridge to anyone else as he will become the franchise QB at 29 years old with high value picks spent to bolster the holes in the roster. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

5 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I like Mayfield and if the Bills don't sign Cousins I hope it will just as you say.  I don't think Mayfield will last to 21.  Trading up to 12 or 15 would be okay. 

He has more upside than Cousins but more downside.  Cousins involves less risk. 

Not elite, but still a top 10 QB. What I like about him is he is 10 times better than any QB we have had for a decade or more. And he's available.

If we don't get him, though, we better go draft one high. Those are the two options I would be fine with (that I know of). I do not want Alex Smith, who we would have to trade for. He is a slightly better version of Tyrod.

On 1/19/2018 at 7:26 PM, Ga boy said:

This is my new revelation:  who's going to beat Brady?  Not Smith.  Not Bridgewater.  Not Bradford.  If anybody can, Cousins can.

Actually, not. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015110802/2015/REG9/redskins@patriots?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000578237&tab=recap

Fitz has done it a couple of times.  How about Fitz?

Edited by reddogblitz

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, njbuff said:

If the Bills consider this type of QB, they would be better off with Smith and drafting their future guy in the 3rd round or something............. if they don't get their guy in the first round of course.

IS this a joke?

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:55 PM, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Cousins reminds me alot of Tony Romo, always under the radar, many didn't think Romo was special either, choked in the big games but you have to look at the Redskins as a whole, if the defense matched the offensive production wouldn't they be a playoff and beyond team? Heck, even Aaron Rodgers has only won 1 SB despite being called an all world QB, he can't do it all by himself but that's what happens when you pay a QB that type of lute. Cousins has put up top 10 QB numbers the past 3 years, if that's not special then I don't know the meaning of that. There is only 1 Brady in this league so Cousins to me would be an excellent pickup, I don't see this franchise signing him, for the mere fact that we have a bunch of other vacancies and adding that salary cap would be crippling, that's why you draft a guy and have 4 years until he will be destroying the cap.

Agree

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:11 PM, White Linen said:

You had better keep digging, you just creating another 9 mil in dead cap space.  More like no Hyde, no Clay, no Poyer and some more.  

Ok, no we don't win the game against Jax.  

Why do people keep wanting average QB's is beyond me...

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:26 PM, Ga boy said:

This is my new revelation:  who's going to beat Brady?  Not Smith.  Not Bridgewater.  Not Bradford.  If anybody can, Cousins can.

EXACTLY

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:08 PM, PIZ said:

A good quarterback?  We haven't seen good QB play in forever.

No we have not.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:44 PM, Teddy KGB said:

Cousins can pass Tyrod can’t 

Mccoy can run, Redskins rb’s can’t 

Who cares what Mcdrunkface said ?  

This is spot on...

Look I don't no what the heck you people are thinking.. We have not had a player as good as Kirk in how many years? its this simple..

1. Make cuts.. Tyrod, Clay with the cap space we have now we would be fine.. Do your math.. don't assume people.. we don't have to cut so many people to fit Cousins salary because we HAVE cap space also.

2. Now that you have Cousins build around him through the draft, RT, RG, DT, ILB, CB <<< we can get that in the first 3 rounds in the draft np.

3. Get a Vet WR that can play #2.

That is it.. This isn't Rocket Science.. we win 2 more games this year AND we beat Jacksonville round 1.

what the heck is you peoples problem with Cousins? Cause a Drunk beat up old former GM doesn't like him then

we should not to?

I would take him in a HEART BEAT. We would be set for the next 6 years or more.

Average QB's win cause of top 2 defenses.. something no team can do with consistency. We built around Tyrod Taylor? how that work out? We got to the playoffs.. great but then we ended in the usual TT WHIMPER!  Is this what you want for the future of this team?

And then I see people wanting us to pick up a 3rd round QB.. genius.... bloody hell.

23 hours ago, papazoid said:

ten highest cap hits:

OVERPAID - TT (18.0), Glenn (14.4), Hughes (10.4), Clay (9.0), Benjamin (8.5)

EARNING THEIR  KEEP  - shady (8.9), Richie (7.6), wood (8.6), hyde (6.8), poyer (3.4)

The only reason that Glenn is "overpaid" is because he was injured.  When healthy, he's a top LT, and that's the going rate for one.  Neither Clay nor Benjamin would be overpaid if the Bills had a 21st century passing game rather than one that seemed mired in the 1950s.  Hopefully, Daboll will give them one.

15 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

The issue is that you know what Cousins can do in the NFL.  A team can at least make some educated guesses what they would need to add around him to make their team better.  Nobody knows what that "young, cost controlled qb with franchise qb potential" will do.  He could be a JP Losman or an EJ Mayfield.  Worse yet, he could a Ryan Tannehill -- too good to just chuck but not quite good enough to win with -- that a team ends up paying big $$$ for "just in case".

13 hours ago, stuvian said:

The Bills have drafted two young QBs in their recent miserable history -- Losman and Manuel -- which is why I don't want them to draft ANOTHER QB in the first round just to say that they drafted one.  Unless they think he's the real deal, then they should pass and look for somebody on Day Two. 

Also, Cousins would not be a bridge QB.  He would probably be signed for 5 years or so, so there would be no way that the Bills would looking for another potential starting QB for 3 or 4 years.  That would be the same as if they drafted a QB in the first round ... they wouldn't be looking for his replacement unless/until they were convinced he was a bust.

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

The only reason that Glenn is "overpaid" is because he was injured.  When healthy, he's a top LT, and that's the going rate for one.  Neither Clay nor Benjamin would be overpaid if the Bills had a 21st century passing game rather than one that seemed mired in the 1950s.  Hopefully, Daboll will give them one.

Glenn is a solid starter. he has never gotten close to pro bowl status.

there are probably 20 offensive lineman better than he is. his contract is totally out of whack to his talent.

2017 - 2nd highest cap hit of all offensive lineman in entire league

2018 - 3rd highest cap hit of all offensive lineman in entire league

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-25-offensive-linemen-of-the-2017-nfl-season

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-25-nfl-offensive-linemen-this-season

Edited by papazoid

McCloughan is more than a little biased given that Cousins proved he was worth more than the contract McCloughan offered and Cousins turned down. But McCloughan lived what he says. I personally think Cousins will leave the Redskins and play his arse off for whoever hires him. If he goes to a team with a defense as solid as ours, he will win playoff games. Anyone see him mic'd up?

This season his top RB had just 603 yards. His top WR had just 789 yards. Yet he managed to throw for more than 4,000 yards. Again. By the way, his defense was bottom 5 in points allowed. He did a whole lot himself.

Edited by scribo
forgot an important word

On January 19, 2018 at 5:56 PM, papazoid said:

TD's thrown

KC - 27

TT- 13

that's more than slightly better

if cousins was on this years team....we beat JAX

In his last game (against...the GIANTS--the NFL's worst defense), he completed 54% of his passes and threw 3 ints, 0 TDs.  

But yeah, against the Jags, he would have really lit it up....

3 hours ago, papazoid said:

Glenn is a solid starter. he has never gotten close to pro bowl status.

there are probably 20 offensive lineman better than he is. his contract is totally out of whack to his talent.

2017 - 2nd highest cap hit of all offensive lineman in entire league

2018 - 3rd highest cap hit of all offensive lineman in entire league

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-25-offensive-linemen-of-the-2017-nfl-season

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-25-nfl-offensive-linemen-this-season

There is not 20 tackles better than a healthy Glenn. That is absurd. Maybe 5

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

15 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

There is not 20 tackles better than a healthy Glenn. That is absurd. Maybe 5

I said offensive lineman....(tackles, guards & centers)

as far as Tackles only (left or right)....there are 10 on each of those years  (2016 & 2017) better than Glenn.

he was healthy in 2016 and still didn't make the top 25 offensive lineman. on that list there were 7 left tackles.

my point is, cordy is being paid like the 2nd or 3rd best offensive lineman in the entire league. he will NEVER be that good. therefore, he is over paid.

On 1/19/2018 at 6:11 PM, MDH said:

Of course he's not special. If he was special they would have paid him like he was. He's a top 10 QB but not in the tier of Brady, Rodgers and Brees. I don't think anybody is disputing that. That being said, he's much better than "slightly above average" that a poster above wants to paint him as.

I don't know if he's worth the contract he's going to get but he's one of the best QBs in the league and you can defiantly win with him if the other pieces are in place. Granted, as mentioned in the article, a huge contract my prohibit having the cash to put the rest of the team around him.

Brady

Roethlisberger

Luck

Rivers

Newton 

Brees

Ryan

Rodgers

Stafford

Wentz

Watson

Wilson

Garappalo

And there are several that are debatable, Carr, Winston, Mariota, flacco, goff

He is not a top ten QB lol, not even close. 

Some of you are nuts. I hope you goes to the Jets.