Moving on from TT

chef4131

I am not giving up anything significant for Alex smith who is about a lateral move as there is. If he becomes a cap casualty then yes I would take a look.

He would be perfect on a veteran team with a good defense like the Broncos. I wouldn’t mind going after the Cincy backup QB while drafting one early as well and then sorting it all out in training camp. 

Edited by billieve420

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Draft one please. Don’t go looking at other team’s backups or aging vets.

We will have to move up to do that. Not sure of the cost. There are a lot of teams ahead of us needing a QB.  History says 1-2 will work out. Not many years 3+ QB's have made an impact in their first few years.  

Cleveland

Denver 

NY Jets

Arizona

They ALL NEED A QB now and will draft one.  

NY Giants

Miami

Cindy

Washington

Chargers

They are in the market and might pull the trigger early.

To get the #5 QB we would need to trade up.  Rosen, Darnold, Jackson, Allen,  Mayfield, Rudolph and Finley,  If one of these guys is left, is he really the franchise? Is he worth losing a 1st or 2nd for Who drops to #21. Would you bank the 2018 season on him?  

I say draft whoever falls or trade up if you absolutely believe this is your franchise QB.   Then pick up a Vet who will throw downfield. As much as I want to blame Dennison, TT leaves plays all over the field. His avg time of release is 3.1 seconds. (dead last in the NFL)  No coordinator can appear competent with that. 

I'd love Cousins, but he is too costly and will set the team back. Smith and Keenum seem to be the most viable options. If McCarron or Chase Daniel become available, they might be worth a shot.  We are not in a great position to find our franchise QB in this draft, unless we pull a Texan sized move or Chief move and trade the farm to move up to the 4 spot.  3 or 4 QB's could go in the top 10 in this draft.

I think trading for Smith or sign him if he is released. I think the trade would work for a 5th round pick. The Chiefs have his replacement that they will want to get on the field. Smith is under contract through 2018 and would be a good mentor if the Bills draft a QB

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I know a lot of people here are high on Alex Smith but I just don't see it. Smith's numbers in KC when he had less offensive weapons are very similar to what Tyrod put up these past 3 seasons. They counted on a great defense and a QB who didn't turn the ball over to win games. The one good offensive year he had was the 5th year in an offensive system under a great offensive coach and with 3 great offensive weapons. Put Smith around this level of offensive talent, learning a new system, and with this OC and I think the results are pretty much the same as Tyrod. 

There is obviously a lot you don't see if you still support Tyrod.

2 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

This is what seems to be the popular choice. I would be ok with that depending on what we give up. He threw for 4000 yards and only had I think one more INT than Taylor.

One might note that his record as a playoff QB is 2-5, 1-4 with KC.  

They have none of them been blowouts, they have all been winnable games.

But if we're looking for a solution at QB who can find an extra gear when needed, Alex Smith is perhaps not the man.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't hate Taylor..but he is what he is...an average to slightly below average starting QB. Can you win some games with him...maybe a playoff game? Sure, but to be a true superbowl contender, you need better.  I'll take any new guys because I know what I have now is not good enough.

The term is game manager. 

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

We do not any 'Dynamic Offensive Weapons', other than Shady. That being said, if Bills fans want to see Tyrod cut, than take Peterman along with him. The guy is a joke.....

Right on!

Benjamin might be, but he has been on and off the field, no time to build rapport and probably barely to learn the offense.

One need only compare and contrast other teams WR to ours watching games to say, yes TT is a problem but we aren't helping him out any.

I found Romo's commentary very interesting.  I thought he was very fair.  He called out our receivers/backs for missing what he said were "good throws" by TT.

He also called out TT for missing open guys or hesitating to pull the trigger.  It was interesting to have that perspective - both sides of the pass game are problems right now.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Disagree. After #87 went down for the 'Chefs', the offense collapsed, and their "D" couldn't stop anyone..Alex Jones, is a brittle, one dimensional  starter, and would be a lateral move from Tyrod.

And his nut-bag right wing radio show sucks, too. 

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One might note that his record as a playoff QB is 2-5, 1-4 with KC.  

They have none of them been blowouts, they have all been winnable games.

But if we're looking for a solution at QB who can find an extra gear when needed, Alex Smith is perhaps not the man.

No thanks on the retreads. Franchise QBs simply do not become FAs or are very rarely traded. History is littered with more Rob Johnsons & Matt Cassels than Favres and possibly Garappolos

I mentioned this in the game thread as well but Jeff Reinbold the CFL coach who is a regular on UK NFL TV coverage said he doesn't expect Tyrod back in Buffalo next year because he spoke to Rob (as in Ryan) when he did a stint for 3 weeks as a guest analyst on UK TV earlier in the season and he said the desire to move on from Tyrod comes from he Pegulas and goes above the Head Coach. 

I alluded earlier in the season to comments Rob made on air during his stint here when he said around the Chargers game "the folks in the building are always trying to get rid of Tyrod and I don't know why." I speculated at the time that given the whole front office the Ryans worked with had been cleared out that he had to be referring to ownership. 

Reinbold's comments today confirm that is exactly who Rob Ryan meant. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mentioned this in the game thread as well but Jeff Reinbold the CFL coach who is a regular on UK NFL TV coverage said he doesn't expect Tyrod back in Buffalo next year because he spoke to Rob (as in Ryan) when he did a stint for 3 weeks as a guest analyst on UK TV earlier in the season and he said the desire to move on from Tyrod comes from he Pegulas and goes above the Head Coach. 

I alluded earlier in the season to comments Rob made on air during his stint here when he said around the Chargers game "the folks in the building are always trying to get rid of Tyrod and I don't know why." I speculated at the time that given the whole front office the Ryans worked with had been cleared out that he had to be referring to ownership. 

Good, so TPegs is done with Tyrod also. 

6 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Draft one, and sign Alex Smith to school him. 

Smith won’t be a free agent for that to happen

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I really don’t want ownership getting involved in personnel decisions like this.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nor me. While I think they are right on Tyrod the starting QB should not be their decision.

I think they are right in wanting to move on but that’s why you hire pro personnel guys to make that decision 

• Like (+1) 1

The problem with TT all season was that he didn't improve on any of his positives from the last 2 years. He still was extremely limited in his passing game, could not see open guys, checked down and threw passes way too short. In addition his touch on deep passes was mediocre to poor. But the big problem wasn't all those things. The big problem is that TT lost his elusiveness and running ability in key situations this year. Maybe I am imagining this but TT looked older, slower and seemed to take way more sacks (esp in really bad situations). There were some glaringly bad examples of this today. About the only positive of TT at this point is he throws very few INTs and if the D can score points or give him a short field he can win you games. Other than that the TT era should be over.

Today Sums up TT perfectly. You are down a touchdown and couldn't do shyt. Just complete booty. I don't want to hear no one was open and he needs better WR either he missed several open receivers. He is just garbage and the defense did their job. Just complete garbage.

1 minute ago, die hard bills fan said:

Tyrod has to go. McD knows this and that's  why he started Peterman against LA. We made the playoffs with Tyrod but you see today's result with him.  He is not even good enough for a backup.  Draft one and get FA veteran if able. Keep Peterman to see how he progresses, cut him if still bad.

yep. What little chance we had of trading TT went down the drain today too.

2 hours ago, RobH063 said:

A 56 yard passing game, a 65 yard passing game, three 3 point total point performances and there's still people that support Taylor? Unbelievable!

But but but he doesn't turn the ball over 

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I know a lot of people here are high on Alex Smith but I just don't see it. Smith's numbers in KC when he had less offensive weapons are very similar to what Tyrod put up these past 3 seasons. They counted on a great defense and a QB who didn't turn the ball over to win games. The one good offensive year he had was the 5th year in an offensive system under a great offensive coach and with 3 great offensive weapons. Put Smith around this level of offensive talent, learning a new system, and with this OC and I think the results are pretty much the same as Tyrod. 

Are the munchies kicking in yet ??!

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

yep. What little chance we had of trading TT went down the drain today too.

Yeah, there never was any GM stupid enough to trade for Tyrod. Tyrod was just another in a long line of stupid decisions by Rex. 

He probably end up as a backup somewhere. 

the key to this what is your rebuilding strategy.  TT is not gonna be the QB to deliver an SB win (or even a berth) to this team next year and likely ever.

However, trading the draft picks which will be necessary to move up in the 2018 draft is also not gonna deliver a rookie QB with enough talent to win in 2018 (even Peyton Manning went 3-13 his first year and a rookie SB winner like Rothnsb was the last piece in having a winning SB team around him.   The Bills ain't there yet.

The key is to keep our 4 draft picks in the 1st two rounds and build out this team.  The QB should be someone who keeps this team competing next year.  Either Tyrod (quite frankly if Shady wants him) or another placeholder who keeps this team in the playoff chase is fine tll we luckout next post-season or we are truly a player away in 2019.

3 hours ago, chef4131 said:

based on todays performance by TT I believe it will be easy for the Bills to move on from him, of course we need to find someone 

This is true but finding a suitable replacement will be the issue. As much as I don't like him I think Bradford would be the best option as far as cost and performance go.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

This is true but finding a suitable replacement will be the issue. As much as I don't like him I think Bradford would be the best option as far as cost and performance go.

2700 yards and 14TDs really hard replace???? 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Right , but your  just grab another bum, you want an upgrade that won't cost a ton of draft picks.

Fine use them. Add glenn in the package. 

Use both 1st glenn and another 1st if needed to get to 2 and get your guy

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I was originally referring to replacing tyrod with a veteran that would be a good bridge for our rookie . I would trade up for Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen.

If Dennison and this system are staying. 

Bradford, Keenum or Bridgewater