Moving on from TT

chef4131

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't hate Taylor..but he is what he is...an average to slightly below average starting QB. Can you win some games with him...maybe a playoff game? Sure, but to be a true superbowl contender, you need better.  I'll take any new guys because I know what I have now is not good enough.

You might be too generous with your evaluation of Taylor.  If there was *ever* a playoff game that you “could win with Taylor”, today was it.  Defense (and Blake Bortles) held the opposition to 10 points.  Are we down to: “IF you make the playoffs AND IF the defense gets a shutout THEN you could win a game 3-0”?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloDave55 said:

Vikings can't keep everyone... 3 free agent QB's.   Go after BRIDGEWATER!!!!!

Bridgewater's numbers were pretty ass and his knee !@#$ing exploded to the point where he missed an entire season and most of another. I don't get the appeal of him. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

I'd do it tonight. His !@#$up at the one totally changed the game. 

What are you talking about?  That play was EXACTLY why you have a player like Benjamin.  The penalty call was correct, but a lot of times players get away with that. Push-off.  If it was just incomplete with no penalty, no problem.  You can’t not run that play for fear of offensivePI call.

40 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

My original premise was that the Bills should spend a high draft choice on a QB, maybe even trade up to get one. But then they should keep Tyrod for one more year in order to not have to start a rookie on a team that might not be ready or in a bad situation. Tyrod can be a placeholder QB for one more season, are the free agent QB's that you can get cheaper any better? No not really, are the QB's you would be trading for any better (At best a marginal upgrade like Alex Smith) I don't think it's worth it. Draft a QB early and have Tyrod be the guy they have to beat out for the job. 

I agree up to a point.  Out of the 4-8 veteran QB's that are available, there might be 2-3 who are pretty good.  We know TT has reached his ceiling. Why not roll the dice on a young QB who might develop into a good player, while the rookie QB gets some pro experience?

20 minutes ago, leonbus23 said:

I disagree. Smith is a lot better. Tyrod's numbers are deceiving.  Smith is smarter. More like a QB. Not necessarily a savior or anything. 

I don't see how Tyrod's numbers are deceiving but setting that aside the key criticisms Chief's fans have had against Smith sound very similar to what we say about Tyrod (Too conservative, Too many check downs, takes incompletions or short runs on third and long, is unable to take advantage of dynamic offensive weapons, and on and on.) Smith also plays under a much better offensive coach, in a stable offensive system, and in recent years with better offensive talent. If you drop him into this team (And spend a 2nd round pick to do so) I can't see the results being much better. 

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

What are you talking about?  That play was EXACTLY why you have a player like Benjamin.  The penalty call was correct, but a lot of times players get away with that. Push-off.  If it was just incomplete with no penalty, no problem.  You can’t not run that play for fear of offensivePI call.

Didn't need to run it on first and probably not on second. That's what I'm talking about

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

Bridgewater's numbers were pretty ass and his knee !@#$ing exploded to the point where he missed an entire season and most of another. I don't get the appeal of him. 

OBD cannot and will not "trot TT out on the field" opening game of the 2018 season.

They just can't.

My 85 year old mother knows TT cannot bring the Bills to a victory down in the 4th quarter.

• Like (+1) 1

The problem with Tyrod is that he is not bad enough to be thrown away.  He isnt very good, but he isnt very bad.  In some respects he is the perfect QB for the middling bills.  I agree we need to move on, but be careful what you wish for.  It might just be worse. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I agree up to a point.  Out of the 4-8 veteran QB's that are available, there might be 2-3 who are pretty good.  We know TT has reached his ceiling. Why not roll the dice on a young QB who might develop into a good player, while the rookie QB gets some pro experience?

Out of the veteran QB's available I only see 3 as being an upgrade over Taylor. One is Eli Manning the other is Kirk Cousins. I don't think the Giants are getting rid of Eli just yet and I think Kirk Cousins is going to cost you 30 million in cap space and you might end up with a Joe Flacco situation where a QB takes up so much of your cap that it limits your roster overall and while the QB might be good he doesn't elevate the play of the offense enough to justify such a cap hit. 

Alex Smith I would consider a slight upgrade over Taylor but not one I would trade a 2nd round pick for and give up 4.5 million in additional cap space for. I would rather the Bills trade up for a QB in the draft and force that QB to beat out Tyrod. If Tyrod sucks so much then that QB won't have an issue winning that battle.

3 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

We do not any 'Dynamic Offensive Weapons', other than Shady. That being said, if Bills fans want to see Tyrod cut, than take Peterman along with him. The guy is a joke.....

we would have been more competitive than a 3 point total had peterman played the entire game

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

We do not any 'Dynamic Offensive Weapons', other than Shady. That being said, if Bills fans want to see Tyrod cut, than take Peterman along with him. The guy is a joke.....

When Sammy was here a lot of people felt like Tyrod didn't take advantage of him enough. How dynamic he was/is is up for debate but fan complaints aren't always accurate. I would also say that a lot of people felt that Clay was a weapon on the offense that was not taken advantage of enough up until this season when it became obvious he was hurt a lot. I would also add that Benjamin is a player that people felt like Tyrod wasn't taking advantage of enough until it became obvious he was hurt. 

Edited by billsfan89

1 hour ago, chef4131 said:

based on todays performance by TT I believe it will be easy for the Bills to move on from him, of course we need to find someone 

While I agree with your end assessment, you don't grade a QB's performance by one game (today or otherwise). You look at what they've done throughout their career, and especially this season with this coaching staff.

And that brings us to the same conclusion - he's not good & we need to move on.

9 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

The problem with Tyrod is that he is not bad enough to be thrown away.  He isnt very good, but he isnt very bad.  In some respects he is the perfect QB for the middling bills.  I agree we need to move on, but be careful what you wish for.  It might just be worse. 

You don't get better by settling for "middling."  Alex Smith would be an upgrade and a bridge for a younger prospect.

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Out of the veteran QB's available I only see 3 as being an upgrade over Taylor. One is Eli Manning the other is Kirk Cousins. I don't think the Giants are getting rid of Eli just yet and I think Kirk Cousins is going to cost you 30 million in cap space and you might end up with a Joe Flacco situation where a QB takes up so much of your cap that it limits your roster overall and while the QB might be good he doesn't elevate the play of the offense enough to justify such a cap hit. 

Alex Smith I would consider a slight upgrade over Taylor but not one I would trade a 2nd round pick for and give up 4.5 million in additional cap space for. I would rather the Bills trade up for a QB in the draft and force that QB to beat out Tyrod. If Tyrod sucks so much then that QB won't have an issue winning that battle.

I think Smith is way more than a "slight" upgrade over Taylor, and moreso than Eli by far. Kirk Cousins definitely is, but nobody is really questioning that. Not sure how good a fit he is for the team, but he's better than TT hands down.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I honestly think that you can only move on from Tyrod if it is a substantial upgrade or a rookie with promise. A slight upgrade or lateral move like Alex Smith would not work, why give up assets and cap space to be marginally better at QB? Even if they draft a rookie I would still want Tyrod on the roster. Peterman is ass and they shouldn't force a rookie into action if that rookie can't beat out Tyrod. If a rookie can't beat out Tyrod let Tyrod hang in there for one more year and slowly build up the talent on the team around a young promising QB who can learn a system and get use to being a pro for awhile. 

I willing to take a one year step back at QB for the long term development of real modern competent offense.   The D did all they could this year. they were let down by the O.

Just now, BUFFALOBART said:

If we didn't trade Sammy, we might've hosted this game. We'll never know......

Gaines was a big player for this secondary when he played in 11 games, Sammy didn't light it up with the Rams as much as everyone thought. Also Sammy Watkins was not going to propel this team over the Pats* as we would have to have won the division to host a game. I think the Sammy trade was good as long as we can retain Gaines and have him healthy. 

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't hate Taylor..but he is what he is...an average to slightly below average starting QB. Can you win some games with him...maybe a playoff game? Sure, but to be a true superbowl contender, you need better.  I'll take any new guys because I know what I have now is not good enough.

He is a very-below average starting QB, and in reality is a high-end backup. 

Disagree. After #87 went down for the 'Chefs', the offense collapsed, and their "D" couldn't stop anyone..

Losing Kelce was the game for them.  So too was bad play-calling.  I've been saying the Bills need a better QB and OC.

I;ve thought about this all season.    Everybody on this board come to the home page...season the record and the points given up in games we've won....they are very low.    Taylor is not the reason we won games.    Time to stop thinking the best of bad QBing and set you sight higher.     Could you be disappointed----yep.    But maybe, just maybe we take a step forward.    Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

2 minutes ago, StevieJohnsonGOAT said:

That was one of the worst QB performances I've ever seen in the playoffs. Tyrod should be ashamed of himself. Thank god he's gone next year

You knew it was coming before the game started though right ? 

I did, passing offense has been a snooze for 2 Years running 

• Like (+1) 1

If you think Tyrod Taylor can take the Bills deep into the playoffs, I recommend turning the channel to Fox and watch the QB play in the game currently airing on that channel. It will not take you long to realize that TT (or Bortles) for that matter can not and will never be able to do it.  Anyone that thinks anything different has lost their minds. Keeping Taylor is the only thing that McD and Beane can do at this point that would make me question their abilities. No way they do it. 

Sammy was Tyrod's primary weapon. From what I understand, they worked out together during the off season. The Front Office expected Zay Jones, to fill those shoes, but #11 laid a giant egg.

Oh. But hey: We have a # 2 pick for Sammy! (COUGH!)

Did you see what Watkins did, or more precisely didn't do, yesterday?  And as billsfan89 said, Watkins wasn't going to get them over the Cheaters, which is what they would have needed to host a game.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

If you think Tyrod Taylor can take the Bills deep into the playoffs, I recommend turning the channel to Fox and watch the QB play in the game currently airing on that channel. It will not take you long to realize that TT (or Bortles) for that matter can not and will never be able to do it.  Anyone that thinks anything different has lost their minds. Keeping Taylor is the only thing that McD and Beane can do at this point that would make me question their abilities. No way they do it. 

If the Bills were to draft a rookie QB high and stick with Taylor as the placeholder then I wouldn't have an issue. They need to build a longer-term possibility with their QB play but having Tyrod for one more year while a rookie grows and learns isn't a bad plan. As I said is Alex Smith at the cost of a high draft pick and cap space that much of an upgrade over Tyrod? I don't think so, I know a lot of people disagree with that but I don't see it. 

All depends on how a player fits into a system. I was never a fan of Sammy, (See my 'Suck it up, Sammy posts) but I do think he gave us the best chance for Tyrod to succeed, and for making the playoffs this season. Zay Jones, on the other hand......PPPFFFFTT!!!!!!!

Maybe with Watkins, you're looking at the 5th seed.  But he'd be gone next year.

6 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Sammy was Tyrod's primary weapon. From what I understand, they worked out together during the off season. The Front Office expected Zay Jones, to fill those shoes, but #11 laid a giant egg.

Oh. But hey: We have a # 2 pick for Sammy! (COUGH!)

The front office went 5-2 without Sammy, they then traded for Kelvin Benjamin who should have been able to replicate Sammy's production. Kevlin got hurt, Matthews got hurt, Clay even got dinged up. This season wouldn't have gone that much different had they had Sammy, Gaines was also a big part of the defense. 

Just now, billsfan89 said:

The front office went 5-2 without Sammy, they then traded for Kelvin Benjamin who should have been able to replicate Sammy's production. Kevlin got hurt, Matthews got hurt, Clay even got dinged up. This season wouldn't have gone that much different had they had Sammy, Gaines was also a big part of the defense. 

Yeah, likely without trading Watkins, they don't get Gaines, who was huge for the Bills this year.

The NFL, is about winning now.

And Watkins was the difference in that?  Again look at yesterday's game for evidence otherwise.

3 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

It's all about chemistry. Kelly to Reed. Montana, to Rice....etc...

Draft picks are simply a lottery ticket.....

Apples to Oranges. I think Watkins would've been better for the Bills.

We'll agree to disagree then.  I had no problems with trading him because he didn't contribute much last year, wasn't going to be re-signed, and they added a player with similar production in Matthews.  Matthews got hurt and was basically useless, but they got a 2nd rounder and Gaines, who was a far bigger difference-maker for the Bills.  I'd even go so far as to say that without him, they don't make the playoffs.  And nothing I saw from Watkins this year makes me change my mind.

Edited by Doc

7 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Tyrod's 'weapons' did not distinguish themselves this season.

It is difficult to be a "weapon" if you are never thrown to, or the throws to you are high over your head

Edited by Wily Dog
spelling

24 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Good points, but I'd rather have Sammy, than Zay Jones, who was mostly a waste of a roster spot......

That's a pretty obvious thing to say. You would rather have a player that produces than a player who struggled a lot his rookie year. It's kind of easy to say you would rather have the player that produced more. I don't doubt that a healthy Sammy would  have had a positive impact on the offense talent wise but Gaines not being on defense was a big minus and even factoring that out Sammy wasn't the big difference for this team. 

I can only speak for myself but I feel no joy in seeing Tyrod failing when it mattered the most. He had three chances in the 4th quarter to make a difference and he failed each time.

I like him. he is a great athlete and gives you exciting moments but he is not the answer.

I wish him well.

• Like (+1) 1