NFL Draft Rumors from Eric Galko

Estro

LOL at anyone who thinks Case Keenum finally "got it" this year. He's a career backup who ran hot on the right team. Remember Nick Foles? Remember Matt Cassell?

And going from TT to Alex Smith is a sideways move, at best. 

What's wrong with keeping Taylor one more year - he'll have familiarity with the schemes and other players. He can then be the mentor to our "QB of the future.

Just please god, don't draft Allen. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I just remembered something about Barkley. He was one of those talking head darlings who were insistant that he was a gonna be a high pick after his junior year. I had heard  differently that scouts weren’t enamored with his arm and athletic ability. I think he would have fallen if he had come out early, anyway. Maybe not to the fourth round, but he still would have gone after the likes of Locker, Gabberrt, and Kaepernick. Then again, Ponder was a first rounder, so who knows. 

Remember when the Bills fired Andre Reed as a team spokesman after he tweeted out the Bills' love for (and intent to take) Ponder right before the draft? The Vikings jumped on him, and IIRC the team blamed Reed for spilling the beans. He was canned immediately after the draft. In retrospect, he performed a great service to the organization. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's been said since before the season even started that Darnold was leaning on returning to USC. The expectations on him this season were high, I can't imagine what they'll be for 2018. For some, anything less than the greatest season in all of sports ever won't be enough.

Doesn't seem like Rosen has the type of character and attitude McDermott and Beane want in the locker room. And if he doesn't have a real high passion for the game that's another red flag for the Bills because they've made it clear that they want team-first players with a do your job mentality and a strong desire to win.

I think Mason Rudolph fits what they're looking for at QB. Not saying he's my favorite QB coming up this year but he has some talent and some things to work with. He's experienced, from all things I've read he's been viewed as a good leader at OK State and his size fits the description of what Beane said earlier in the year. 

This is the second or third time I've seen Mike White linked with the Bills. Other than that, I haven't read or heard of any other team that seems to have a real high grade on him. He kinda strikes me as a solid backup kind of player but I guess that depends on the kind of offense this team plans to run if they move on from Taylor. 

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Remember when the Bills fired Andre Reed as a team spokesman after he tweeted out the Bills' love for (and intent to take) Ponder right before the draft? The Vikings jumped on him, and IIRC the team blamed Reed for spilling the beans. He was canned immediately after the draft. In retrospect, he performed a great service to the organization. 

Does Andre have a house in Dunkirk?

PS - that is a massive indictment of the organization to rank him that highly, which was followed by the domino logic of selecting EJ, who was clearly better than Ponder.

Edited by GG
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I hope Mike White isnt their solution to the QB question. 

GET THAT DEAL DONE FOR ROSEN OBD

Don't worry.  The Patriots will take him with their first round pick.

Here's Mike White................  

Edited by PIZ
More info.
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chadwick Bay Chad said:

Dunkirk Don said Bills would love to sign Case if our deal falls through with acquiring Alex Smith falls through.

Did you seriously just quote yourself? That is a bit strange.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

As I mentioned during that game, his performance vs. OSU won’t budge the needle on Darnold one way or the other. Perhaps to the draftniks you mentioned, but not to anyone paid by NFL teams to evaluate him as a prospect. 

As for him going back to school, if he does that because he loves the college experience, etc. then more power to him. If he’s doing it to improve his draft stock for next year, it’s a mistake. He won’t be any better or worse than the top five prospect he is now. 

We will have to agree to disagree on this.  Think the scouts saw what defensive pressure will do to his game.  Needs to improve.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

As I mentioned during that game, his performance vs. OSU won’t budge the needle on Darnold one way or the other. Perhaps to the draftniks you mentioned, but not to anyone paid by NFL teams to evaluate him as a prospect. 

As for him going back to school, if he does that because he loves the college experience, etc. then more power to him. If he’s doing it to improve his draft stock for next year, it’s a mistake. He won’t be any better or worse than the top five prospect he is now. 

IMO going back to school puts more pressure on his play than going #1 would.  Only reason he goes back to school is if his estimated draft status was 2 rd.  I think alot of teams would pick him in the first rd and probably top 15.  History has never favored a Qb going back to school especially USC Qbs.  Would you rather be Marck Sanchez or Leinhart and Barkley?  He will need to play near perfect be in contention for the Heisman and National Championship to even meet expectations.  

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Jackson is 100% right to return to school. He needs another big step forward for me to get from projection to player at the next level.  Darnold should come out now. How many guys have a slightly disappointing year, go back to school and suddenly turn it around? 

Darnold is fools gold...IMO, any team drafting him with the thought that he will start immediately (with success) will be setting their franchise back years. He has been pushed into the limelight due to a great game in the Rose Bowl against Penn St last year. He had a decent 2016 season and a better bowl game that had scouts & some fan thinking that he was trending upward. This year pretty much shows some growth but much improvement is still needed to become  a franchise level QB. He has to clean up on his throwing mechanics and protect the ball better to reach this level. He is no where near ready for the NFL.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/sam-darnold-player-stats

Smart move Sam Darnold stay in school and keep developing your skills.

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

LOL at anyone who thinks Case Keenum finally "got it" this year. He's a career backup who ran hot on the right team. Remember Nick Foles? Remember Matt Cassell?

And going from TT to Alex Smith is a sideways move, at best. 

What's wrong with keeping Taylor one more year - he'll have familiarity with the schemes and other players. He can then be the mentor to our "QB of the future.

Just please god, don't draft Allen. 

To believe that going to Alex Smith from TT is a lateral move is just so fundamentally wrong. Smith is a quantum leap or 2 better!  The existing actuarial data proves this without rational debate. I’d love to have Smith here next year. Wow!

Updated draft if top QB's back out. Bills retain Tyrod until end of 2018.

1st Round Maurice Hurst DT Michigan
1st Round Micah Kiser LB Virginia
2nd Round Martinas Rankin OT Mississippi ST
2nd Round Marcell Ateman WR Oklahoma St
3rd Round Luke Falk QB Washington

2 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

To believe that going to Alex Smith from TT is a lateral move is just so fundamentally wrong. Smith is a quantum leap or 2 better!  The existing actuarial data proves this without rational debate. I’d love to have Smith here next year. Wow!

lol no it doesn't. He's fine, but he's not 2x better than Tyrod. 

Smith is having a career year because of his ridiculous supporting staff. They're amazing.

Edited by Domdab99

50 minutes ago, Manther said:

I agree and/or the draft stock slides...aka Jake Locker or Jimmy Claussen.

That's good for Darnold personally to take the cash just for these reasons alone. 

I wouldn't mind another team drafting him, just NOT my team...especially if it takes a kings ransom to move up to get him, he's not ready.

16 minutes ago, pimp on da' net said:

Darnold is fools gold...IMO, any team drafting him with the thought that he will start immediately (with success) will be setting their franchise back years. He has been pushed into the limelight due to a great game in the Rose Bowl against Penn St last year. He had a decent 2016 season and a better bowl game that had scouts & some fan thinking that he was trending upward. This year pretty much shows some growth but much improvement is still needed to become  a franchise level QB. He has to clean up on his throwing mechanics and protect the ball better to reach this level. He is no where near ready for the NFL.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/sam-darnold-player-stats

Smart move Sam Darnold stay in school and keep developing your skills.

While I am not quite as critical I do think there is a lot of truth to what you say about how quickly scouts got giddy on him and about his ability to be a day 1 NFL starter. 

That was not my point. My point is can anyone name one Quarterback who has had a slightly disappointing year when expected to come out, then decided to return to school to "develop further" and actually had a rebound year? It is a genuine question. I am struggling to think of one.

If I was advising him I'd say come out. I don't think college is the place to learn the things he needs to improve to be a franchise NFL QB. The NFL is. Come out and pray you end up in a good situation with a solid organisation with a plan for you and good coaches on staff. 

I don't think another year in college improves Sam Darnold. Jackson is different - he has improved year to year but still needs to take another step... there is reason to believe he might do that. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Updated draft if top QB's back out. Bills retain Tyrod until end of 2018.

1st Round Maurice Hurst DT Michigan 
1st Round Micah Kiser LB Virginia
2nd Round Martinas Rankin OT Mississippi ST
2nd RoundMarcell Ateman WR Oklahoma St 
3rd Round Luke Falk QB Washington  

1st- DT Vita Vea- Washington

1st- QB Ryan Finley- NC State or Mason Rudolph- Okla St

2nd- OLB Malik Jefferson- Texas or DT Taven Bryant - Florida

2nd- TE- Mark Andrews- Okla 

3rd- ILB- Chris Worley- Ohio State

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

While I am not quite as critical I do think there is a lot of truth to what you say about how quickly scouts got giddy on him and about his ability to be a day 1 NFL starter. 

That was not my point. My point is can anyone name one Quarterback who has had a slightly disappointing year when expected to come out, then decided to return to school to "develop further" and actually had a rebound year? It is a genuine question. I am struggling to think of one.

If I was advising him I'd say come out. I don't think college is the place to learn the things he needs to improve to be a franchise NFL QB. The NFL is. Come out and pray you end up in a good situation with a solid organisation with a plan for you and good coaches on staff. 

I don't think another year in college improves Sam Darnold. Jackson is different - he has improved year to year but still needs to take another step... there is reason to believe he might do that. 

I agree and with the Giants holding the #2 pick he could do exactly that.  I'm wishy-washy on kids going back to school when they have a 2nd or 3rd round grade.  This is different, he will be picked in the top 5 and likely top 2.  There isn't much improvement to be done on his stock so imo he should come out.  He will be one of the top 2 picks.

Why not develop AND get paid? There is way more risk than benefit imo for him to return.  The college game is so different from the pros I think he might develop better under a pro teams watch, add in a lost year of earnings for an already too short career, and a year with a "good franchise" holding the 2 pick and the stars have aligned for him.  I don't personally care for his game and don't see what others do but I'm also not a professional scout.  Big market, big money, get to sit behind Eli for a year, get paid to improve your skills.  Perfect scenario for him and he'd be dumb imo to return.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Would be surprised if Darnold didn’t return to school at this point. He doesn’t look ready. But if he does declare, he will go high.

I've been saying Darnold should and probably would go back to USC for another year. I think Jackson realizes he has work to do as well if he wants to be considered a legit QB prospect. If those two don't come out then the ransom just got a little higher to move up in the draft as there are at least 5 or 6 teams in need of a QB. 

3 hours ago, klos63 said:

Yeah, but I think many teams didn't feel Leinhart was going to be any good in the NFL. Most scouts think highly of Darnold.

I could have told you Leinart was going to suck. Rag arm and slow at everything. It amazed me there were NFL evaluators who even thought he would be good. He was a bigger, slower, Matt Barkley. Had no chance to be good.

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Have I declared what?

I'm with you, brother!

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Coincidentally, another USC QB faced the same option and chose to stay for his senior year and made the right decision: Carson Palmer.  http://www.talkoffamenetwork.com/palmer-why-not-leaving-usc-early-was-never-on-my-radar/

He had a great senior year and was the consensus #1 pick. He then had a good (and long) NFL career.

13 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Coincidentally, another USC QB faced the same option and chose to stay for his senior year and made the right decision: Carson Palmer.  http://www.talkoffamenetwork.com/palmer-why-not-leaving-usc-early-was-never-on-my-radar/

He had a great senior year and was the consensus #1 pick. He then had a good (and long) NFL career.

That is a pretty good example dave just checking the numbers he did have a bit of a down junior year then a major bounce back. Right at the start if my NFL viewing so college was still a total mystery to me then. I'm still not sure I'd advise Darnold to do it but there is at least a precedent even if a while ago. 

Darnold and Jackson staying'?

Gotta' kick those first round picks down the road Beaney!

Picks for sale!   First round picks for sale!

Tyrod 2018!:devil:

Go class of 2019!

This time........make the trade with the right team..........big difference between acquiring the future 4th pick in the draft and 25th. :doh:

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Darnold and Jackson staying'?

Gotta' kick those first round picks down the road Beaney!

Picks for sale!   First round picks for sale!

Tyrod 2018!:devil:

Go class of 2019!

This time........make the trade with the right team..........big difference between acquiring the future 4th pick in the draft and 25th. :doh:

Not sure Darnold was ever likely in play for us and I am not a Jackson guy regardless.

It is a point though... if the QBs are gone I am not against trying to punt one of our firsts into next year. Not sure you would find a dance partner though. 

1 hour ago, pimp on da' net said:

1st- DT Vita Vea- Washington

1st- QB Ryan Finley- NC State or Mason Rudolph- Okla St

2nd- OLB Malik Jefferson- Texas or DT Taven Bryant - Florida

2nd- TE- Mark Andrews- Okla 

3rd- ILB- Chris Worley- Ohio State

1. DT Taven Bryan (Next to Star Lotulelei)

1. QB Mason Rudolph/Ryan Finley 

2. LB Rashaan Evans/Uchenna Uwosu

2. LB Leighton Vander Esch

3. OG Sean Welsh (has played C, RG and RT for Iowa, in Senior Bowl)

• Like (+1) 1