How should the team respond to Gronk?

Magox

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

jesus christ,  Gronk did get suspended you know.

That one game suspension was a joke and an insult.

If the NFL really cared about player safety and wanted to send a message that cheap shots like that will not be tolerated, then he should have been suspended for no less than 8 games.

Just now, Mark Vader said:

That one game suspension was a joke and an insult.

If the NFL really cared about player safety and wanted to send a message that cheap shots like that will not be tolerated, then he should have been suspended for no less than 8 games.

So what type of suspension should any Bill face if they deliberately try to hurt Gronk. More than 8, since it would be premeditated?

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

So what type of suspension should any Bill face if they deliberately try to hurt Gronk. More than 8, since it would be premeditated?

probably just 1 game, the NFL has shown they don't care about stopping/punishing/regulating cheap shots 

but, who cares if its longer? worth it...

6 minutes ago, klos63 said:

If a Bills player were to do something as stupid as that, then yes, a massive suspension would be justified.

Are you saying that a 1 game suspension for Gronkowski was the harshest punishment he could have gotten?

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

well, if they did it right, you wouldn't know it's pre-meditated, so that wouldn't seem reasonable given that they only suspended gronkowksi for a game for an obvious cheap shot after the play was over.  I'd guess if it went down during a play, 15 yards and that's the end of it.  If they lined him up after a play as gronkowski did, assuming no prior conduct issues, the appropriate suspension would be one game since the standard has been set.

I don't believe there will be any retaliatory hits, I don't believe McDermott would approve of it and can't see a player being a douche just because gronkowski pulled a douche move.  It's not the way professionals conduct themselves.  The result is likely to be gronkowski catching 10 for 285. Just the way the world works, and one reason I'll skip watching it. 

Hopefully they've been practicing knee tackles all week.  Hitting the knee from the side can get the MCL (a la the Denver hit on Shane Conlan that basically ended his career).  I'd be hitting Gronk early and often, pressing him on routes, and generally getting in his face.  Do research on his family, find out if his sister is an Army fan, and run it at him all game long.  Throw the kitchen sink at that dirty POS.

Just now, Mark Vader said:

If a Bills player were to do something as stupid as that, then yes, a massive suspension would be justified.

Are you saying that a 1 game suspension for Gronkowski was the harshest punishment he could have gotten?

Nope, never even suggested anything like that at all. I thought 2 games minimum.

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

well, if they did it right, you wouldn't know it's pre-meditated, so that wouldn't seem reasonable given that they only suspended gronkowksi for a game for an obvious cheap shot after the play was over.  I'd guess if it went down during a play, 15 yards and that's the end of it.  If they lined him up after a play as gronkowski did, assuming no prior conduct issues, the appropriate suspension would be one game since the standard has been set.

I don't believe there will be any retaliatory hits, I don't believe McDermott would approve of it and can't see a player being a douche just because gronkowski pulled a douche move.  It's not the way professionals conduct themselves.  The result is likely to be gronkowski catching 10 for 285. Just the way the world works, and one reason I'll skip watching it. 

It's been discussed all week, if it happens it would be pretty hard to say it wasn't premeditated. Just a coincidence? Hardly.

Just now, yungmack said:

Every time you hit him, hurt him. Every time he's down, twist his hands , crush his fingers, poke his eyes, knee him in the crotch. And keep whispering to him that this treatment is going to continue every game until he retires.

They're gonna have to catch him first.

13 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Nope, never even suggested anything like that at all. I thought 2 games minimum.

It's been discussed all week, if it happens it would be pretty hard to say it wasn't premeditated. Just a coincidence? Hardly.

be that as it may, the question was what the suspension should be.  the nfl set the standard for deliberate hits similar to the gronkowski shot.  since he got one game for completing a play, targeting the back of a guy's head for an elbow shot, I'd think the nfl should suspend a player who follows the course of action he did for one game.  the fact that fans are out talking about it has nothing to do with the player.  Tre White, for one, seems to have moved on, which is what most non-jackasses tend to do. 

that was the problem with the nfl response to begin with.  the punishment did not seem to fit the crime, emotionally-speaking anyways.  but, given that WAS the response, why would it be different if it happened again?  does the nfl say...wait, now we're REALLY serious about this stuff.

in the course of a play, throw the flag and hit 'em for 15 yards.  for gronkesque wrongdoing...one game.  for something worse---a second spitter targeting gronkwoski as he leaves the field---handle accordingly. 

4 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

be that as it may, the question was what the suspension should be.  the nfl set the standard for deliberate hits similar to the gronkowski shot.  since he got one game for completing a play, targeting the back of a guy's head for an elbow shot, I'd think the nfl should suspend a player who follows the course of action he did for one game.  the fact that fans are out talking about it has nothing to do with the player.  Tre White, for one, seems to have moved on, which is what most non-jackasses tend to do. 

that was the problem with the nfl response to begin with.  the punishment did not seem to fit the crime, emotionally-speaking anyways.  but, given that WAS the response, why would it be different if it happened again?  does the nfl say...wait, now we're REALLY serious about this stuff.

in the course of a play, throw the flag and hit 'em for 15 yards.  for gronkesque wrongdoing...one game.  for something worse---a second spitter targeting gronkwoski as he leaves the field---handle accordingly. 

Just because they erred the first time doesn't mean the should and will the next time. I hope if someone does this again, they get a much more severe penalty. Still doesn't justify the Bills going after him.

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Just because they erred the first time doesn't mean the should and will the next time. I hope if someone does this again, they get a much more severe penalty. Still doesn't justify the Bills going after him.

I don't know about "justify" or not, that's too deep for me.  I would think Tre' White probably would be "justified" to respond, but that's an emotional response, not rational.  I agree that retaliation via cheap shot is 100% the wrong way to go.  I disagree though, with the premise that the nfl should hit a bill's player harder than they hit gronkowski.  more than a few causal observers feel that gronkowski benefited from the pats treatment, that the suspension was unreasonably light because goodell  et al wanted the money player back on the field as quickly as possible.  personally, I believe that, because it's virtually impossible to justify a short term suspension for that sort of play given the talk about head injuries and cte.

that said, the potential downside to penalizing one high-profile player on the highest profile team with one set of standards, and subsequently taking a harder line on a second player just because you can is substantial.  with fans seemingly already staying away from games in large numbers, it sends the wrong message.  add in other social factors, it could get ugly.

btw--on that note, much was made of the suh punch to the side of tyrod's head.  I get the concern, and think Suh is a dirty player, but felt the worst that should happen there was an unsportsmanlike penalty for clapping the guy in the head. Earlier in the game, though, another dolphins player sacked Tyrod and slammed his forearm into the back of tyrod's helmet.  I believe I saw the official speaking to the fins player after the hit (he definitely spoke to a fins player, just couldn't see if it was the offending player) and got the feeling he was warning him.  I can't imagine that not being penalized against an upper tier qb like brady, brees, rothlisberger etc and can't quite understand some of the things that go on with taylor.   

anyway, the nfl should follow their own precedent and not apply a sliding scale of justice. 

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

jesus christ,  Gronk did get suspended you know.

One game for using his metal bar enforced arm protection as a weapon and striking a downed, defenseless player on the back of the head, putting him into concussion protocol.  Pathetic, man.

41 minutes ago, klos63 said:

They're gonna have to catch him first.

Right, because Gronk is such a speed demon out there.

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

One game for using his metal bar enforced arm protection as a weapon and striking a downed, defenseless player on the back of the head, putting him into concussion protocol.  Pathetic, man.

right!!?? I don't get what world these whiny politically correct people live in. "He got his one game suspension, it has been dealt with, move on"...seriously?????? 

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I have no problem with disagreeing having a nice conversation but the fact that fans root for players to get hurt turns my stomach.  These guys work all of their lives to get to this stage. 

Yes they do... including Tre’davious White!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Every team game plans against Gronk and they all say the same thing:  Hit him hard, jam at the line, disrupt timing, frustrate him.

We did all those things a few weeks ago and he still is really hard to cover.   I think the best receiving TE of all time.  Hands, deceptive speed, pushes off defenders and knows how to get away with it most of the time.

He's become a full fledged Bob Kraftee now:   Whiny, entitled and always trying to get away with everything possible.  He and Brady implied that HE was the victim on the TreD crap.

No class anymore from the Gronk.   Sad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I don't know about "justify" or not, that's too deep for me.  I would think Tre' White probably would be "justified" to respond, but that's an emotional response, not rational.  I agree that retaliation via cheap shot is 100% the wrong way to go.  I disagree though, with the premise that the nfl should hit a bill's player harder than they hit gronkowski.  more than a few causal observers feel that gronkowski benefited from the pats treatment, that the suspension was unreasonably light because goodell  et al wanted the money player back on the field as quickly as possible.  personally, I believe that, because it's virtually impossible to justify a short term suspension for that sort of play given the talk about head injuries and cte.

that said, the potential downside to penalizing one high-profile player on the highest profile team with one set of standards, and subsequently taking a harder line on a second player just because you can is substantial.  with fans seemingly already staying away from games in large numbers, it sends the wrong message.  add in other social factors, it could get ugly.

btw--on that note, much was made of the suh punch to the side of tyrod's head.  I get the concern, and think Suh is a dirty player, but felt the worst that should happen there was an unsportsmanlike penalty for clapping the guy in the head. Earlier in the game, though, another dolphins player sacked Tyrod and slammed his forearm into the back of tyrod's helmet.  I believe I saw the official speaking to the fins player after the hit (he definitely spoke to a fins player, just couldn't see if it was the offending player) and got the feeling he was warning him.  I can't imagine that not being penalized against an upper tier qb like brady, brees, rothlisberger etc and can't quite understand some of the things that go on with taylor.   

anyway, the nfl should follow their own precedent and not apply a sliding scale of justice. 

I agree the Gronk penalty was woefully inadequate, however, after Brady's ridiculous suspension last season, it's impossible to say the Pats are treated with kid gloves. The league needs a separate commish/director for just discipline, like hockey does.

To argue that subsequent penalties should not be dealt with more severely just because of a mistake on the handling of Gronk would be a bigger mistake. They f'd up, don't continue to f up just because we did before, stupid logic there.

5 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

He sure does seem to outrun his coverage an awful lot.

Winning is the best revenge, and IMO the only real thing that will have a true impact on Gronk and the Patriots. 

A revenge cheap shot shot is not the right way to handle things IMO. 2 wrongs don't make a right. 

If they want to hit him legally, I'm good with that. Just do it within the rules of the game. 

I want to see the Bills players be adults about this situation, not kids/teens. 

Win the damn game. That's all that matters. A cheap shot just puts that Bills player on the same level as Gronk. I'd rather see them be the better man. 

Edited by BillsFan4

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I agree the Gronk penalty was woefully inadequate, however, after Brady's ridiculous suspension last season, it's impossible to say the Pats are treated with kid gloves. The league needs a separate commish/director for just discipline, like hockey does.

To argue that subsequent penalties should not be dealt with more severely just because of a mistake on the handling of Gronk would be a bigger mistake. They f'd up, don't continue to f up just because we did before, stupid logic there.

I think a lot of times he's guarded by a LB.  Your CBs are covering Cooks and Amendola.

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

Exactly.

He doesn't kill you with his speed, but rather his height.  Assuming we have a LB on him, we're going to need to dedicate the nickel or Poyer/Hyde as additional coverage.

First, if you don’t hit him hard and often it is rewarding bad behavior, because the league surely didn’t enact the proper punishment either during or after the game. 

Then maybe we should cheapshot one of their little guys from behind all day. And make sure Gronk and the little guy knows it’s because that seems to be fair for them. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Jobot said:

Need to lay him out, but within the rules.

No helmet to helmet, don't take out his knees, just rock him when going across the middle....

Easier said than done, but a cheap shot makes you look bad.

ohhhhh nooooooooo, what if we look bad????

OR, it makes us look like we are sticking up for our teammates finally, and that you cant just bully us around like usual anymore 

50 minutes ago, klos63 said:

so we can agree to disagree on brady and his suspension.   the ridiculous part of it to me was the implication that the nfl set up an elaborate ruse to accuse him of wrongdoing to get him off the field.  funny thing is, the nfl could significantly impact a team's performance just by doing little things like suspending a player for a few games  for clubbing a guy in the noggin after a play ended. 

the nfl has said nothing about screwing up the gronkowski suspension, they simply seem to think that was the right call for that type of play.  you're advocating a new, different, and maybe even emotional response for the next guy, which is not all that different than the way some folks want the bills players to respond to the gronk cheap shot. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
clarity

13 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

ohhhhh nooooooooo, what if we look bad????

OR, it makes us look like we are sticking up for our teammates finally, and that you cant just bully us around like usual anymore 

I'm guessing you'd like to see a club to the knee... grow up, it's a game

11 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Who cares. Shows we have some 'nads. JuJu is a hero among us casual fans for nailing Burfict like that.

Think you might be in the minority with your JuJu opinion.

The Pats have regularly got away with stuff against the Bills, over a good few years now. From Wilfork attacking Losman's knee, to Chandler getting a cheap shot from behind, (iirc, resulting in another concussion), to the latest from gronkowski. All of these were dirty play, and basically have been got away with. There comes a time, when you simply have to stop people walking all over you. If that results in 'extra - curricular' events, then so be it. 

Much like their cheating, the Patsies have exhibited scant regard for the rules when it comes to 'fair play'. Cheap shots, late hits etc., are simply playing the game by the same rules as they use. Until you show them that you are going to do to them, what they have been doing to you, it will continue. 

It's noticeable to me, that they don't do this stuff against teams like the Steelers, Ravens, Giants, etc. where they know they will get it back.