NRC Talks Rex Ryan and What Went Wrong in Buffalo with Tyler Dunne

26CornerBlitz

More than anything else, it just seemed that Rex was mentally checked out during his time in Buffalo. Maybe at the very start he was motivated. Maybe. But by season 2, he just wasn't putting in the time or effort, doing things like going to Clemson to hang out with Rob and the kid.  So you take away the overplayed defensive genius stuff (was the scheme too complex? was he too uninterested to communicate it well? had the league figured him out? was the talent missing to pull it off? probably all of the above) at the start, and then take away his only other attribute - the ability to relate to players one on one - and you're left with nothing.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yes, which is why gross stats are useless. When you factor in the situation more of the story gets told. 

as much context as you can apply>improves decoding statistics.

eye test plus stats= more full understanding of the ebb and flow a game day brings?
reviewing games/game tape  is awesome as well. you can focus in on details as many times as you wish.

Thanks Kirby

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yes, which is why gross stats are useless. When you factor in the situation more of the story gets told. 

I do not believe gross stats are useless, in fact I use them all the time in conjunction with other more complicated statistics I happen to like. If that makes me unsophisticated in your eyes then so be it. I maintain that the view you appear to hold suffers from many of the same problems sites like PFF and DVOA/QBR and other similarly constructed subjective analysis do, namely improper context and 'prisoner of the moment-itis'...chief among them the popular 'Rex Ryan+Bills defense=Disaster' narrative that (in 2016 at least) was overblown to the point of absurdity . 

Do you take issue with the teams I listed above as being qualitatively worse on defense in 2016 than the Bills? If not, how do you reconcile DVOA's 28 ranking? 

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I hated Rex and glad he is gone.  But last year's defense wasn't as rock bottom awful as some posters wanted to suggest.  It was slightly below average.

They had individual rushers run for 200+ yards 3 times. Two of those came from the same back. They were ****.

16 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

They had individual rushers run for 200+ yards 3 times. Two of those came from the same back. They were ****.

Can we name the rushers who embarrassed the Bills ?

Ajayi

Bell

who was the third..

Stats be damned

The reason Bills defense sucked was blown assignments due to poor communication. and then execution. and then they gave up
so honestly. They kinda sucked.

24 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

You know how averages work right?  I mean we just gave up 150 yards to 90 year Frank Gore and get slapped around by the Jets and saints in back to back weeks.

rex sucked, let's be clear.  But the defense besides turnovers is still not good. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I do not believe gross stats are useless, in fact I use them all the time in conjunction with other more complicated statistics I happen to like. If that makes me unsophisticated in your eyes then so be it. I maintain that the view you appear to hold suffers from many of the same problems sites like PFF and DVOA/QBR and other similarly constructed subjective analysis do, namely improper context and 'prisoner of the moment-itis'...chief among them the popular 'Rex Ryan+Bills defense=Disaster' narrative that (in 2016 at least) was overblown to the point of absurdity . 

Do you take issue with the teams I listed above as being qualitatively worse on defense in 2016 than the Bills? If not, how do you reconcile DVOA's 28 ranking? 

I believe that the Rex Ryan defenses were a disaster. A lot of the reason is that I saw the same guys have success in the prior scheme. When one variable is different (the scheme) and many are the same (the players) the scheme is likely the problem. It is Ockham’s Razor.

I didn’t see any other teams listed so I don’t know how to respond to that. In general though it is easier for me to analyze the Bills than other teams because I have a more thorough eye test than with other teams. With other teams I have some “eye test” but need the stats to support it. Bills fans (and any fans) have strong feelings about their team without a frame of reference. It is really hard for us to make comparisons to other teams when we see and read so much less about the players.

To sum it up I could tell that Rex’s defense sucked because I saw it and the advanced metrics supported it. I can recognize that they were bad. It’s tough for me to say they were better/worse than “y team” because I have to depend on those metrics and less on the eye test.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

Rex outsmarted himself seems to fit the bill.   I really wonder what Rex would have done when he was on his a game.  such a shame they wasted 2 seasons 

At least they were smart enough to not keep him for all five years. They have the right coach now.

5 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

Like a scorned lover I swear to god.......was Tyrod having sex with a loved one?

Like that YouTube video about Britney.

Leave Tyrod alone, waaaahhhhh

I guess some like this team being tied to Rex with having his QB still the leader to no playoffs. Keeping Tyrod around will not only keep Rex tied to the team it will also have McD fired by 2019. Is McD smart enough to move on from the Tyrod for the 2018 season? I sure hope so,  we will see if we have the Chan/Fitz2.0 starting all over again.

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is where your agenda falls woefully short and you lose credibility. They were a top 10 DVOA and scoring offense both years that Rex was here. He was a defensive coach. That’s the side of the ball that he was responsible for. They were 28th DVOA in 2016 and 28th in 2015. If you chose to blame the top 10 offenses over the bottom 4 defenses than I don’t respect your analysis. It’s cleary not objective (or right). 

This is where your agenda to prop up Tyrods stats like he is all that. Stats lie, Tyrod is not good enough just like Trent was not good enough even though wow look at those stats but posters like you will never see that just like they didnt with Trent. Trent was nothing when done with Buffalo just like Tyrod will be. Cheers to saying goodbye to Tyrod.

Enjoy your last week or two of the Tyrod. The end is getting closer

Edited by xRUSHx

18 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

I guess some like this team being tied to Rex with having his QB still the leader to no playoffs.

This is where your agenda to prop up Tyrods stats like he is all that. Stats lie, Tyrod is not good enough just like Trent was not good enough even though wow look at those stats but posters like you will never see that just like they didnt with Trent. Trent was nothing when done with Buffalo just like Tyrod will be. Cheers to saying goodbye to Tyrod.

So numbers lie but you don’t? You should have just taken the “L” and stayed away. Instead you elected to come back and say that the numbers weren’t true, your opinion was. That’s why no one takes you seriously!! 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

So numbers lie but you don’t? This post just made you sound even dumber!! You should have just taken the “L” and stayed away. Instead you elected to come back and say that the numbers weren’t true your opinion was. That’s why no one takes you seriously!! 

I do not care if you do not like me. Stats lie.

You make me laugh when you think all my years of postings wanting this team to draft a good QB and move on from other teams backups that this team has been stuck in is going to make me worried  about your little rant towards me. Like it will make me care about how you feel about me...hahahahahaha

I care about my favorite team, I want a stud at QB not this dud.

Tyrod can not keep up with good QBs in big games, could never lead this team to big wins, only got a 300 once in 3 years and that was with a OT to get it. The guy stinks, he is not good enough. Stats lie that he is good enough, COT has proved that 2 full years of trash threads and now the light of Tyrod has come through with his 50-100 yard games. Winners win and Tyrod is no winner. Make him be a QB because we all know he cant.

The COT is loving life this week, Tyrod is starting it's his last shot at staying here. How many last shots does this guy get?

The D and STs can carry us to victory while Tyrod had 54 yards but yet the COT will be like well Tyrod threw it twice he has a rating of 100% this team needs to keep him and fire the OC. SmH

21 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

I do not care if you do not like me. Stats lie.

You make me laugh when you think all my years of postings wanting this team to draft a good QB and move on from other teams backups that this team has been stuck in is going to make me worried  about your little rant towards me. Like it will make me care about how you feel about me...hahahahahaha

I care about my favorite team, I want a stud at QB not this dud.

Tyrod can not keep up with good QBs in big games, could never lead this team to big wins, only got a 300 once in 3 years and that was with a OT to get it. The guy stinks, he is not good enough. Stats lie that he is good enough, COT has proved that 2 full years of trash threads and now the light of Tyrod has come through with his 50-100 yard games. Winners win and Tyrod is no winner. Make him be a QB because we all know he cant.

I’ve been on the draft a 2018 QB train since before the 2017 draft so I don’t know what you are talking about? 

The topic is (another) former Rex player talking about why he failed. The players, the statistics and the eye test all support that. You need to to stop arguing facts with your opinions. Oh yeah, tell me how 300 yard games correlate to winning? Last time I checked on here 300 yard passers were roughly .500 on the year (a lower winning percentage than Tyrod). If you want to look at stats look at ones that correlate to WINNING. That’s all that matters.

For some reason you came here to defend Rex saying that his top 10 scoring and DVOA offenses are what held the team back. That’s wrong (of course) but you aren’t capable of talking about anything but Tyrod. Sometimes the finger should be pointed at him and sometimes it should be pointed at Rex (or whomever). You aren’t capable of analyzing the issues. It’s not always one thing. The game is much, much more complex than get a QB and nothing else matters. Ask the Colts how that works. There are a lot of factors and you only look at 1.  Rex was problem #1 for the last 2 years and you can find mounds of evidence to support that. 

FWIW, I have no problem with you. I bet that you are a nice guy. You are just a terrible poster. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve been on the draft a 2018 QB train since before the 2017 draft so I don’t know what you are talking about? 

The topic is (another) former Rex player talking about why he failed. The players, the statistics and the eye test all support that. You need to to stop arguing facts with your opinions. 

For some reason you came here to defend Rex saying that his top 10 scoring and DVOA offenses are what held the team back. That’s wrong (of course) but you aren’t capable of talking about anything but Tyrod. Sometimes the finger should be pointed at him and sometimes it should be pointed at Rex (or whomever). You aren’t capable of analyzing the issues. It’s not always one thing. The game is much, much complex than get a QB and nothing else matters. Ask the Colts how that works. There are a lot of factors and you only look at 1.  Rex was problem #1 for the last 2 years and you can find mounds of evidence to support that. 

So you continue to blame coaching and the D but yet our record is no different with our new coaches with Tyrod. Tyrod stats lie. But hey, I should give up your right we need all new coaches because Tyrod is a great QB to build around because of his first 2 years with Rex. SMH

A good team starts by finding a real good QB to build around, until that happens this team will continue to be not good enough blaming everyone but the QB the most important position to build around. Indy is not good enough because they failed at building around the QB. You like to point to failed Indy while I will point to Seattle that went all in finding a good QB to build around and has been good for years because of it, just like Carolina with Cam.

I am not defending Rex at all, I just want him out of our news stories. With his QB still a starter here he is a fixture in our headlines, I want it to end. I want a real good QB to build around so my favorite team can be good and done with the longest playoff loser streak in all of sports.

Edited by xRUSHx

3 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

So you continue to blame coaching and the D but yet our record is no different with our new coaches with Tyrod. Tyrod stats lie. But hey, I gibe up your right we need all new coaches because Tyrod is a great QB. SMH

A good team starts by finding a real good QB to build around, until that happens this team will continue to be not good enough blaming everyone but the QB the most important position to build around. Indy is not good enough because they failed at building around the QB. You like to point to failed Indy while I will point to Seattle that went all in finding a good QB to build around and has been good for years because of it, just like Carolina with Cam.

I am not defending Rex at all, I just want him out of our news stories. With his QB still a starter here he is a fixture in our headlines, I want it to end.

The team is much worse this year talent wise and Tyrod has not played well. I would say that Dennison is much worse than Lynn/Roman (and everyone will agree) but I think McDermott and Frazier are an upgrade from those fat slobs.

Find the post where I say “Tyrod is a great QB.” I’ve said that he’s a decent starter. I still believe that. I’m watching Trubisky at the moment and he’s a disaster. He may be good at some point but it isn’t now.

Seattle didn’t go all in finding a QB!!! They took a guy that every NFL team passed on multiple times!! I love Russell Wilson but that was as much luck as anything else.

This Rex topic had ZERO to do with “his QB being here.” Tyler Dunne interviewed Nickell Robey-Coleman and he elaborated on what a disaster Rex’s defense was. That’s why the thread is here. You are the one that brought the QB into a thread about a former defensive back talking about the checks that they had to make in his defense. The QB was really relevant in that conversation.  That is why people give you a hard time!! You literally never talk about anything else.

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

Can we name the rushers who embarrassed the Bills ?

Ajayi

Bell

who was the third..

Stats be damned

The reason Bills defense sucked was blown assignments due to poor communication. and then execution. and then they gave up
so honestly. They kinda sucked.

Blown assignments, didn’t take the ball away, and didn’t create confusion which Rex’s defense was supposed to do. All it did was confuse our own team. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Captain Murica said:

Blown assignments, didn’t take the ball away, and didn’t create confusion which Rex’s defense was supposed to do. All it did was confuse our own team. 

It really was a lesson in destroying a good defense. He inherited a defense that had just found their way and he basically came in a gutted it.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The team is much worse this year talent wise and Tyrod has not played well. I would say that Dennison is much worse than Lynn/Roman (and everyone will agree) but I think McDermott and Frazier are an upgrade from those fat slobs.

Find the post where I say “Tyrod is a great QB.” I’ve said that he’s a decent starter. I still believe that. I’m watching Trubisky at the moment and he’s a disaster. He may be good at some point but it isn’t now.

Seattle didn’t go all in finding a QB!!! They took a guy that every NFL team passed on multiple times!! I love Russell Wilson but that was as much luck as anything else.

This Rex topic had ZERO to do with “his QB being here.” Tyler Dunne interviewed Nickell Robey-Coleman and he elaborated on what a disaster Rex’s defense was. That’s why the thread is here. You are the one that brought the QB into a thread about a former defensive back talking about the checks that they had to make in his defense. The QB was really relevant in that conversation.  That is why people give you a hard time!! You literally never talk about anything else.

FTR I only have one problem with you and it is how you continue to defend Tyrod by posting his worthless stats. I blame Rex and the D for his fail but IMO the biggest problem of this team is they never start building by finding a QB to build around.

Seattle had multiple QBs brought in to win the job if I am not mistaken. Wilson just happened to win it.

You say zero to do with QB.

Tyrod is the QB Rex picked to lead his team, Tyrod is still here they go hand and hand.

Edited by xRUSHx

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

It really was a lesson in destroying a good defense. He inherited a defense that had just found their way and he basically came in a gutted it.

Then he proceeded to mock it by saying being ranked 4th in the league was underachieving. Basically taking a jab at Schwartz. Well, whose laughing now? One guy is the DC of one of the top defense while the other one is taking jabs on national tv against his former players and team.

Rex is the type of guy you’d like have a Bbq to talk about football with, but not the guy you want to be leading your team. 

1 minute ago, xRUSHx said:

FTR I only have one problem with you and it is how you continue to defend Tyrod by posting his worthless stats. I blame Rex and the D for his fail but IMO the biggest problem of this team is they never start building by finding a QB to build around.

Those stats are facts so you can have all of the issues that you want with facts. They can’t change. I’m sorry that you don’t like the story that they tell but they are facts. 

Obviously every team team needs a QB. If you don’t have a QB you don’t just quit though. Tyrod has been a serviceable starter with a winning record. He has some things that he does well and has some flaws. No one ever advocated not trying to upgrade. All that I ever advocated is don’t treat him like EJ, Trent, Losman, etc... because he has played at a level statistically and in terms of wins and losses that they haven’t. When you say, “he’s the same” I post a bunch of stats dispel that and you say “I don’t care about stats.” Comparing Tyrod to those guys doesn’t strengthen your position, it weakens it. Nothing supports that he is like them.

C Biscuit, is not, and has never been a Tyrod supporter. At the same time he will admit that he is better than the bums that came before him. No one gives him a hard time for his position because it’s reasonable. Your position isn’t reasonable and that’s why people come at you. If you said, “Bills need to upgrade at QB” pretty much everyone would agree. When you say “Tyrod was the reason Rex struggled” you won’t have much agreement.

6 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

Then he proceeded to mock it by saying being ranked 4th in the league was underachieving. Basically taking a jab at Schwartz. Well, whose laughing now? One guy is the DC of one of the top defense while the other one is taking jabs on national tv against his former players and team.

Rex is the type of guy you’d like have a Bbq to talk about football with, but not the guy you want to be leading your team. 

Yeah, I hate when he makes jokes now too about how they didn’t do well. I’m like “you came here, didn’t work hard, made a bunch of empty promises, and now look back at it and laugh?” All of this after taking however many millions for you and a chunk of money for your idiot brother. I wish that he felt bad about what he did. I don’t think he cares and that pisses me off.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I hated Rex and glad he is gone.  But last year's defense wasn't as rock bottom awful as some posters wanted to suggest.  It was slightly below average.

They allowed 28+ points in 7 games last season and 30+ in 6 games.  That's terrible.  Average was around 23.  They looked better because they faced a few teams that had no offense like a 3rd string QB with a broken throwing thumb Pats game, 49ers, Rams, Browns, Cardinals, Ravens. 

Game in hand 1 min to play and the Bills allowed a TD to Miami.  That was the story of the Bills D.  They sucked period

18 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Robey-Coleman isn't saying anything we haven't already heard from other sources.  No surprises here.

But I think C.Biscuit97's  point is a good one.  Our D isn't any better this year - with McD and Frazier in charge.  What's going wrong?

Not enough talent.  No pass rush and slow linebacker play = bad defense.  Our secondary is pretty good though.

14 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

I guess some like this team being tied to Rex with having his QB still the leader to no playoffs. Keeping Tyrod around will not only keep Rex tied to the team it will also have McD fired by 2019. Is McD smart enough to move on from the Tyrod for the 2018 season? I sure hope so,  we will see if we have the Chan/Fitz2.0 starting all over again.

Yes we all get it. You hate Tyrod.  That doesn't mean you have to come into every single thread and turn it into a Tyrod thread.  That's called agenda.

I said it was a bad hire from the start.....and Billieve me for the sake of the team and fans I was hoping I was wrong.

You could see the players were confused with all the blown assignments 10 men on the field ect ect.

I am glad Pegs pulled the plug on the 2 buffoons even though it cost him a huge chunk of change and a little pride.

This is simply Nuke confirming what we already knew.  There was an article a few years back showing the difference between the Schwartz and Ryan defense.  Schwartz's call would be "23 Sunday Outside", while Ryan's call would be  "23 Sunday black Outside Omaha Split".  Too many checks, too complicated.  As posted upthread, Jim Leonhard was one of the few human beings on the planet who understood Ryan's D, so he'd QB the D into the right call every time.  BTW, Leonhard is now the DC for the #1 College defense at Wisconsin.  How many other D players during Ryan's tenure are going to be DC's?  This is the genius of Jim Schwartz.  Easy to coach, easy to understand defense that plays lights out, without the drama.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Dvoa is garbage. 

Even if it is garbage, TT was not the problem those 2 yrs. The plan was to have rex elevate an already awesome defense and hopefully the offense would improve. Well the offense did it's part both yrs. The defense took a major dump under rex. This yr TT really had no one to throw to most of the season. We do need better qb play, but Rex and rob were the problem, not TT.

16 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You know how averages work right?  I mean we just gave up 150 yards to 90 year Frank Gore and get slapped around by the Jets and saints in back to back weeks.

rex sucked, let's be clear.  But the defense besides turnovers is still not good. 

36 carries 130 yards 3.6 YPC

if a defense allowed 3.6 YPC they would

be top 5 against the rush

19 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

You really think we had the 28th worst defense in 2016? 19th by yards 17th by points allowed?

So there were worse defenses, so what? The eye test showed that defense sucked. The talent rex inherited and squandered is ridiculous. pretty sure those other teams didn't have nearly the talent as ours at the time.

The move I hate the most is losing Schwartz. Man we had such a solid D and then we go and transition out of a 4-3 into the stupid RexD. 

I didn’t want Schwartz to be HC but don’t bring an HC who will mess with the D!!!

and they did. Of course. 

22 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not a surprise at all, Rex was clearly the issue. It’s not even up for debate. He set the franchise back.

He didn't set the franchise back---the Peulas did. That was an odd hire. What makes his hire even more perplexing is that he was a known quantity. His career was ignominiously ended in New York. At the time of his firing the team was in a state of disarray. Why didn't the Pegulas do their due diligence outside of the interview room where a huckster is able to shine? Do you think Polian would have endorsed him? Do you think that the substantive and dignified Levy would have endorsed such a shallow and obnoxious character? 

This  stubborn stain on the organization that it is now desperately trying to clean up was brought on by the Pegulas. This hire went beyond being stupid. It was a zany hire that to this day is weighing on the organization. The billionaire Terry Pegula has a nose for finding gas fields. However,  in this case he couldn't smell the over-powering and knee bending stench of a fraud that everyone else was aware of. 

33 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Even if it is garbage, TT was not the problem those 2 yrs. The plan was to have rex elevate an already awesome defense and hopefully the offense would improve. Well the offense did it's part both yrs. The defense took a major dump under rex. This yr TT really had no one to throw to most of the season. We do need better qb play, but Rex and rob were the problem, not TT.

Except when it comes to the one thing a qb needs to do: passing the ball.

On 12/16/2017 at 11:43 AM, xRUSHx said:

Isn't it great to be able to have these guys talk to our fired blowhard head coach about our current starting QB. Sadly if Tyrod stays next year we can again next year have the Rex talk. SMH, the elf on the shelve for McD having Tyrod still here.

Who is better with Tyrod, Rex or McD? The debate continues. Remember blame everyone else because HOF QB Tyrod is never at fault.

No head coach is going to do well having a backup QB as the starter.

Who is debating this "Who is better with a Tyrod, Rex vs McDermott?" thing you keep talking about? I haven't seen anyone but you bring that up. 

I am pretty sure everyone realizes that this this is a completely different team than Rex had. There are over 50 new players and only 20 some left from Rex's tenure (if that). 

Rex is being talked about because he was out head coach just last year and ex Bills players keep talking about what a clown show it was (sorry, I know you were a big Rex Ryan fan...). 

What nickell Robert-Coleman said has nothing to do with Tyrod. You realize this would be a discussion even if Tyrod wasn't here, right? 

Also, I see the majority of this board blaming Tyrod for the things that are his fault. Not a single person here thinks he is a HOF QB. Seems to me like the majority here are ready to move on... 

Im not defending Tyrod either, so don't try to say that I am. This post has nothing to do with that. I think he has sucked this year and I look forward to having a better QB under center. I am really hoping that they can somehow land one of the top QBs in this draft.