The 2017 Draft: 1st round Re-do

YoloinOhio

What should the Bills have done in the 1st round?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. The Bills should have done the following in the 1st round:

• The same thing - trade 10 to KC for 2018 1st, and draft Tre White at 27
    • Draft a QB at 10 (i.e. Watson or Mahomes)
    • Trade 10 to KC but take a different player than Tre White at 27
    • Trade UP from 10 and take a QB (i.e. Trubisky)
    • Stay at 10, but take a non-QB (which player?)
    • Other (explain)

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Rosen is a better prospect but durability is a concern 

Better prospect than who? He may be the best prospect this year, but I don't put him in the same category as Watson, as a prospect.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Love Tre but thought we should have taken Watson then and not changed my mind.

Yes.  Punting to next year because you may like a prospect better next year is a recipe for 17 years and counting.

QB in 2020 maybe?  More Marcel Dareus' and Stephon Gilmore's please.

3 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Better prospect than who? He may be the best prospect this year, but I don't put him in the same category as Watson, as a prospect.

My opinion is he is a better prospect than Watson was last year. Watson was my favorite QB in last year’s draft.

I think the Bills had a pretty good 2017 draft and that bodes well for 2018. If these guys are as good at picking them as they seem to be the team will be much improved, though they do have their work cut out for them.

As far as the redo is concerned, I can't imagine passing on Watson at 10. He remains only a prospect to be sure but he has shown enuf to make him standout credibly as a potential franchise guy. You don't pass on that, especially if you are the Bills. 

3 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Based off what we know, Watson should have been the #1 overall pick and if he was available with the 10th pick we should have picked him. 

Well if you want to base it on what we know now...

Watson now has 2 torn ACL's, one in each knee.  So there is that too.

40 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

My opinion is he is a better prospect than Watson was last year. Watson was my favorite QB in last year’s draft.

Gotcha. I guess we just disagree a bit on that. But Rosen won't be there when the Bills draft. So do you think he is worth trading up for? That's a huge price to pay if you end up being wrong.

I chose to do it exactly like we did.  I love Tre, and a DB as good as him is about as hard to find as a good starting QB.  And now we are armed with lots of draft assets to go after a number of very good looking prospects in this draft too.  

I get why people are bringing up Watson...but this is the choice:

Tre White plus whatever stud QB prospect we are clearly drafting this year.  More importantly, we may not even need to trade both firsts to get that QB with all the other assets we have.  Depends on how far we need to trade up or if we need to trade up at all.  So could end up with Tre, a stud QB, and a 2nd first round pick still. 

Or take Watson with 2 torn ACL's now.   I will do it the same way, plus there is almost no chance Watson would have had the same start to his career in Buffalo playing with this rag tag group of receivers all year and the terrible OL which might have gotten him hurt faster.  

2 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Gotcha. I guess we just disagree a bit on that. But Rosen won't be there when the Bills draft. So do you think he is worth trading up for? That's a huge price to pay if you end up being wrong.

I do! From a talent perspective. He reminds me of Marino. Just worried about his durability. He seems to get hurt a lot. But he had such trash around him at UCLA, he got little help at WR, from the run game, or protection in the pocket. His QB traits as they project to the nfl are as good as it gets though  imo.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Or take Watson with 2 torn ACL's now.   I will do it the same way, plus there is almost no chance Watson would have had the same start to his career in Buffalo playing with this rag tag group of receivers all year and the terrible OL which might have gotten him hurt faster.  

That's the big question, whenever evaluating QBs. How would they do with this Bills team? Given their history, I have to agree Watson may not have had the same incredible start he had with the Texans. But also keep in mind Houston has been a disaster for QBs too. Watsons incredible athleticism (and pure will) would have translated with the Bills--is my guess. He may not have been breaking records, but I bet he'd make the WRs look a heck of a lot better. And perhaps he wouldn't have torn his ACLs had he played for Buffalo (but he might have broken his neck or something else).

They didn't take Watson, so let's move on. I really like what they did in last year's draft. And we'll see what they do with the #1 with KC, next year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Dean said:

That's the big question, whenever evaluating QBs. How would they do with this Bills team? Given their history, I have to agree Watson may not have had the same incredible start he had with the Texans. But also keep in mind Houston has been a disaster for QBs too. Watsons incredible athleticism (and pure will) would have translated with the Bills--is my guess. He may not have been breaking records, but I bet he'd make the WRs look a heck of a lot better. And perhaps he wouldn't have torn his ACLs had he played for Buffalo (but he might have broken his neck or something else).

They didn't take Watson, so let's move on. I really like what they did in last year's draft. And we'll see what they do with the #1 with KC, next year.

Agree with everything you said.

Find it weird people are still upset with how we came out of it.  Tre is a stud...we are gonna get our QB this year.  Hard to be upset about our position right now, especially considering we are challenging for a playoff spot in the mean time despite not getting that QB yet and trading away young talent.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Find it weird people are still upset with how we came out of it.  Tre is a stud...we are gonna get our QB this year.  Hard to be upset about our position right now, especially considering we are challenging for a playoff spot in the mean time despite not getting that QB yet and trading away young talent.

Watson > 8 tre’s 

If we nab a successful qb all will be forgotten, if not get ready for the waterworks 

Edited by Air it out Fitzy

12 minutes ago, Air it out Fitzy said:

Watson > 8 tre’s 

If we nab a successful qb all will be forgotten, if not get ready for the waterworks 

Even when that QB has 2 torn ACL's in 3 years?  And sorry, but Watson is no lock to be anything.  MANY QB's have started fast and fallen off, especially ones that run a lot.  I like Watson, don't get me wrong, but he is far from a sure thing still.  Great start, I take nothing away from him, but people talk about him being a sure fire HOF already.  RG3 was quite impressive too...so was Vick...so was Vince Young...so was Kapernick...so was Bortles...so was Culpepper...so were a lot of people. 

So I get the need for a QB, but we ARE taking a top prospect at QB this year too and still have Tre.  So I will take that all day every day over a athletic dependent QB with two torn ACL's and a small sample size of productivity.  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Even when that QB has 2 torn ACL's in 3 years?  And sorry, but Watson is no lock to be anything.  MANY QB's have started fast and fallen off, especially ones that run a lot.  I like Watson, don't get me wrong, but he is far from a sure thing still.  Great start, I take nothing away from him, but people talk about him being a sure fire HOF already.  RG3 was quite impressive too...so was Vick...so was Vince Young...so was Kapernick...so was Bortles...so was Culpepper...so were a lot of people. 

So I get the need for a QB, but we ARE taking a top prospect at QB this year too and still have Tre.  So I will take that all day every day over a athletic dependent QB with two torn ACL's and a small sample size of productivity.  

We will see.   If Darnold/Rosen are off board and we end up with the next Brandon Weeden it’s gonna stink.  

Idk too much about these qbs tbh 

Just now, Air it out Fitzy said:

We will see.   If Darnold/Rosen are off board and we end up with the next Brandon Weeden it’s gonna stink.  

True, missing on anyone in the first always hurts.  But this is a good looking class and I have confidence in this staff to find the right guy.  I am nervous about any QB we hand to RICO though cuz I am not a fan.  

I have felt since the beginning of the season that the 2018 starting QB for the Bills was going to be Baker Mayfield, and still think so now.  Although there are quite a few guys after Donald and Rosen that could make a case.  Apparently there is also talk Bills love Darnold, so maybe a big trade is possible to go get him or Rosen.  Gonna be an interesting off season.  

In the meantime, I love Tre and the extra first, so quite happy right now.  I wish Watson nothing but the best, but 2 torn ACL's now in 3 years makes me concerned for his future, especially since his legs are a big part of his game.  

• Like (+1) 1

The fact that 57% would pass on a proven, great young QB and franchise player for a positional player & a future draft pick who may or may not be good is hilarious.

Please, never complain about the front office again. You have forfeited your right to judge this franchise's failures as you would also choose to gamble instead of take a sure-thing.

In 18 years of failure, what's the one position we needed most? QB. We've had plenty of great CBs, including Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, Terrence McGee, Stephon Gilmore, Tre' White, etc...and where have they gotten us? Nowhere. I'm glad you guys aren't part of this decision making process of this organization. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Air it out Fitzy said:

People act like it's so hard to find a franchise QB. I bet you if we let an 8 year old pick a QB over the last 17 years we would have a franchise guy by now. I mean not finding a franchise guy for 17 years? Not even by chance? It's hard to believe our FO could be that abysmal. It is really not that hard.

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I chose to do it exactly like we did.  I love Tre, and a DB as good as him is about as hard to find as a good starting QB.  And now we are armed with lots of draft assets to go after a number of very good looking prospects in this draft too.  

I get why people are bringing up Watson...but this is the choice:

Tre White plus whatever stud QB prospect we are clearly drafting this year.  More importantly, we may not even need to trade both firsts to get that QB with all the other assets we have.  Depends on how far we need to trade up or if we need to trade up at all.  So could end up with Tre, a stud QB, and a 2nd first round pick still. 

Well Watson's first ACL is repaired and he has played for 3 years now with no ill effects. The 2nd ACL injury? Yea it is a concern. But you never pass up a potential Franchise QB for a DB. I thought he was one then and still do. 

And I love Tre White. Once we traded back he was immediately the player I wanted us to target. 

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The only QB I have graded higher than Watson at this stage will not be there when we pick. 

This is a tough vote as we don't know what we'll do with the 2018 pick ... that said I voted to do the same ... I think Watson was AWESOME this year .. but two caveats ... we don't have anything close to his WR's (Hopkins / Fuller) .. though I did think Zay Jones would of stepped up more this year than we've seen (saw a lot of him at ECU as my daughter goes there .. so was pumped when we picked him) ... given the glaring hole post Gilmore departure ... totally happy and frankly more impressed than I thought with Tre White's play ... plus he's a better dancer in the snow than Watson.

9 hours ago, BigDingus said:

The fact that 57% would pass on a proven, great young QB and franchise player for a positional player & a future draft pick who may or may not be good is hilarious.

Please, never complain about the front office again. You have forfeited your right to judge this franchise's failures as you would also choose to gamble instead of take a sure-thing.

In 18 years of failure, what's the one position we needed most? QB. We've had plenty of great CBs, including Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, Terrence McGee, Stephon Gilmore, Tre' White, etc...and where have they gotten us? Nowhere. I'm glad you guys aren't part of this decision making process of this organization. 

I think it's how some people remain fans. Justifying the FO's blunders to the point of insanity.

I understand the reasons why the Bills didn't draft Watson (or Mahomes for that matter) by the way..... a new HC with a lame duck GM he didn't trust and scouts he was suspicious of.  He wanted to make sure that when he took his guy he did so on the evaluations of people he trusted implicitly because he gets 1 crack at this HC lark and he probably gets 1 crack at handpicking the QB of the future.  

But that was what was best for McDermott and not the future of the franchise.  For the sake of the franchise they had not had a first round shot at a guy who could legitimately be good for a few years (in 15 and 16 the two legitimate 1st round guys were off the board #1 and #2) and they needed to get off the pot and pick a guy who was and is legit and was there at 10.