The 2017 Draft: 1st round Re-do

YoloinOhio

What should the Bills have done in the 1st round?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. The Bills should have done the following in the 1st round:

• The same thing - trade 10 to KC for 2018 1st, and draft Tre White at 27
    • Draft a QB at 10 (i.e. Watson or Mahomes)
    • Trade 10 to KC but take a different player than Tre White at 27
    • Trade UP from 10 and take a QB (i.e. Trubisky)
    • Stay at 10, but take a non-QB (which player?)
    • Other (explain)

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Rosen is a better prospect but durability is a concern 

Better prospect than who? He may be the best prospect this year, but I don't put him in the same category as Watson, as a prospect.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Love Tre but thought we should have taken Watson then and not changed my mind.

Yes.  Punting to next year because you may like a prospect better next year is a recipe for 17 years and counting.

QB in 2020 maybe?  More Marcel Dareus' and Stephon Gilmore's please.

3 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Better prospect than who? He may be the best prospect this year, but I don't put him in the same category as Watson, as a prospect.

My opinion is he is a better prospect than Watson was last year. Watson was my favorite QB in last year’s draft.

I think the Bills had a pretty good 2017 draft and that bodes well for 2018. If these guys are as good at picking them as they seem to be the team will be much improved, though they do have their work cut out for them.

As far as the redo is concerned, I can't imagine passing on Watson at 10. He remains only a prospect to be sure but he has shown enuf to make him standout credibly as a potential franchise guy. You don't pass on that, especially if you are the Bills. 

3 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Based off what we know, Watson should have been the #1 overall pick and if he was available with the 10th pick we should have picked him. 

Well if you want to base it on what we know now...

Watson now has 2 torn ACL's, one in each knee.  So there is that too.

40 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

My opinion is he is a better prospect than Watson was last year. Watson was my favorite QB in last year’s draft.

Gotcha. I guess we just disagree a bit on that. But Rosen won't be there when the Bills draft. So do you think he is worth trading up for? That's a huge price to pay if you end up being wrong.

I chose to do it exactly like we did.  I love Tre, and a DB as good as him is about as hard to find as a good starting QB.  And now we are armed with lots of draft assets to go after a number of very good looking prospects in this draft too.  

I get why people are bringing up Watson...but this is the choice:

Tre White plus whatever stud QB prospect we are clearly drafting this year.  More importantly, we may not even need to trade both firsts to get that QB with all the other assets we have.  Depends on how far we need to trade up or if we need to trade up at all.  So could end up with Tre, a stud QB, and a 2nd first round pick still. 

Or take Watson with 2 torn ACL's now.   I will do it the same way, plus there is almost no chance Watson would have had the same start to his career in Buffalo playing with this rag tag group of receivers all year and the terrible OL which might have gotten him hurt faster.  

2 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Gotcha. I guess we just disagree a bit on that. But Rosen won't be there when the Bills draft. So do you think he is worth trading up for? That's a huge price to pay if you end up being wrong.

I do! From a talent perspective. He reminds me of Marino. Just worried about his durability. He seems to get hurt a lot. But he had such trash around him at UCLA, he got little help at WR, from the run game, or protection in the pocket. His QB traits as they project to the nfl are as good as it gets though  imo.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Or take Watson with 2 torn ACL's now.   I will do it the same way, plus there is almost no chance Watson would have had the same start to his career in Buffalo playing with this rag tag group of receivers all year and the terrible OL which might have gotten him hurt faster.  

That's the big question, whenever evaluating QBs. How would they do with this Bills team? Given their history, I have to agree Watson may not have had the same incredible start he had with the Texans. But also keep in mind Houston has been a disaster for QBs too. Watsons incredible athleticism (and pure will) would have translated with the Bills--is my guess. He may not have been breaking records, but I bet he'd make the WRs look a heck of a lot better. And perhaps he wouldn't have torn his ACLs had he played for Buffalo (but he might have broken his neck or something else).

They didn't take Watson, so let's move on. I really like what they did in last year's draft. And we'll see what they do with the #1 with KC, next year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Dean said:

That's the big question, whenever evaluating QBs. How would they do with this Bills team? Given their history, I have to agree Watson may not have had the same incredible start he had with the Texans. But also keep in mind Houston has been a disaster for QBs too. Watsons incredible athleticism (and pure will) would have translated with the Bills--is my guess. He may not have been breaking records, but I bet he'd make the WRs look a heck of a lot better. And perhaps he wouldn't have torn his ACLs had he played for Buffalo (but he might have broken his neck or something else).

They didn't take Watson, so let's move on. I really like what they did in last year's draft. And we'll see what they do with the #1 with KC, next year.

Agree with everything you said.

Find it weird people are still upset with how we came out of it.  Tre is a stud...we are gonna get our QB this year.  Hard to be upset about our position right now, especially considering we are challenging for a playoff spot in the mean time despite not getting that QB yet and trading away young talent.