Does the D line need a complete rebuild also?

Socal-805

The D-line may be the beginning of Buffalo's terrible defense, and looking at who is there, who can project if ANY of these guys need to be/will be kept:

o  Shaq Lawson - 1 draft pick.  Injured, not very productive and IR'd.  Too soon to start calling him a bust?  Being replaced by an undrafted rookie?

o  Jerry Hughes - He will be 30 y/o before next season begins, and his play has certainly tailed off per the stats for a couple years now.

o  Kyle Williams - He will be 35 y/o before next season starts!  Wow. 

How do you NOT begin a total rebuild here?  And Lorenzo Alexander will be 35 also.

FYI:  This new forum , I don't like as well.

Basically yes. Kyle won’t be here much longer and quite frankly he’s not good at this point. We need 2 starting DTs. Lawson isn’t good. He’s an edge setter and that’s really it. He’s not much of a pass rusher so. Hughes can probably stick around though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Basically yes. Kyle won’t be here much longer and quite frankly he’s not good at this point. We need 2 starting DTs. Lawson isn’t good. He’s an edge setter and that’s really it. He’s not much of a pass rusher so. Hughes can probably stick around though.

He is not very good in coverage, so why was he taken so HIGH might be a good question as well now that he is 2 years in.

They will be addressing the DL on free agency and the draft, no doubt. DT is top priority. Hughes is good and Lawson may never be a complete, top-tier DE but he has value and still has time to work on his pass rush. If Lorax stays and we opt to use him as a pure pass rusher that might buy us some time to find a stud DE in the next year's draft, but too soon to speculate there.

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Agreed.  So, yes we need a lot more help on the D line.  We need more than Hughes able to get to the QB.  So, if we keep Shaq starting (which may be fine even if he doesn't improve) we need a DT that can get to the QB (which is rare) or more blitzing.

So, I think we need more playmakers on the D line or linebackers.

Go Bills!

A need, but not a need for a complete re-build.  Lawson and Hughes will be fine, IMO.  Lawson hasn’t been good as a pass rusher, but he has been solid against the run.  Give him time...certainly not time for the “bust” conversation.

Their greatest need on the d-line, IMO, is a run stuffing NT/DT (1 tech/3 tech) such as Vita Vea or Reginald McKenzie.

The moment they traded Dareus the off-season strategy was set.  The entire front 7 needs an overhaul but DT and MLB is the priority.  Just watch the games.  They are running right up the middle ever since Dareus was traded.  I would prefer they sign a veteran DT and draft a LB and DE in the first three rounds.  LB can play early.  DT takes time to develop.  Lorax and Kyle will be gone. Lawson is fine at DE.

I would move Hughes back to OLB with Humber and Milano competing for the other spot.  Start the rookie at DE in the base 4-3 and move Hughes down to rush DE in the nickel and dime packages.

Need 2 DT's and one of the 2 with pass rush/collapse the pocket ability would help. Need pass rush from either a DE beside Hughes or a line backer as well.

The good thing I guess is if they can get the elusive "franchise QB" in the draft any other good pick they make  will address a need besides secondary and RB (and depth at either would help). (Right OT, OG, WR, LB, Dline,). It actually is amazing to me that they've won 6 games with the paucity of talent and depth they have on this roster.

2 minutes ago, norton20 said:

Need 2 DT's and one of the 2 with pass rush/collapse the pocket ability would help. Need pass rush from either a DE beside Hughes or a line backer as well.

The good thing I guess is if they can get the elusive "franchise QB" in the draft any other good pick they make  will address a need besides secondary and RB (and depth at either would help). (Right OT, OG, WR, LB, Dline,). It actually is amazing to me that they've won 6 games with the paucity of talent and depth they have on this roster.

Good thing this draft will be thick with those kind of players in round 2. Bills should use both 2nd round picks on DT.

51 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

The D-line may be the beginning of Buffalo's terrible defense, and looking at who is there, who can project if ANY of these guys need to be/will be kept:

o  Shaq Lawson - 1 draft pick.  Injured, not very productive and IR'd.  Too soon to start calling him a bust?  Being replaced by an undrafted rookie?

o  Jerry Hughes - He will be 30 y/o before next season begins, and his play has certainly tailed off per the stats for a couple years now.

o  Kyle Williams - He will be 35 y/o before next season starts!  Wow. 

How do you NOT begin a total rebuild here?  And Lorenzo Alexander will be 35 also.

Good thread.  The QB rants have overshadowed this topic for sure.  When you look at the Bills roster, you realize they have a lot of needs throughout and they need their current young talent to develop into good caliber players. 

Yes. It's the core of the defense and right now it's pretty average and will only get worse when Kyle Williams retires.

I would go DT in the first round and DE in the second round (assuming the other first round pick is for QB).

The DL means nothing until they get a QB. :rolleyes:

All joking aside, the whole front 7 needs a makeover. I would put Matt Milano as the most likely starter in 2018. I think that Hughes will be back but maybe not. Shaq probably starts but isn’t a difference maker. Kyle may retire. The guys next to him are just guys. Humber and Brown are free agents. There is a lot of work to do in the front 7.

• Like (+1) 1

sign Star L in free agency

if we dont trade up draft Wilkins/Hurst in the draft

I like vea but with star hes kinda redundant and would like more of a pass rusher 

Lawson can develop and hughes will still be serviceable 

depth will be Cedric/Washington/Eddie and Davis

LB will still be an issue Id start Milano and draft Jefferson/Smith (again barring trade up)

Edited by WMDman

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Kyle may retire. The guys next to him are just guys. Humber and Brown are free agents. There is a lot of work to do in the front 7.

Hopefully Kyle retires.  Glad he is a Bill, but doesn't seem like there is a lot left in the tank.

Preston Brown should be back, at least for depth, assuming we get an upgrade...no?

Humber is so-so.  If he walks, so be it.

They'll need a much better pass rush and more mobile LBs if they're going to run McD's defense.  The DT rotation is uninspiring.

At the same time, they've already made over the secondary in their first off-season. I'd be concerned with putting more resources into the defense when, after the obvious need at QB, they could use help at guard, and WR.

They'll need every one of those 5 top-100 picks.

30 minutes ago, vincec said:

Yes. It's the core of the defense and right now it's pretty average and will only get worse when Kyle Williams retires.

I would go DT in the first round and DE in the second round (assuming the other first round pick is for QB).

I think it’s gonna take both 1st’s -and maybe more-to land the QB of choice. Before any other position is addressed, we must have a QB. FA for D, Draft for O.

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

What's the point of a good DT if there is no one to throw him open?

Not to mention the DTs need even better ball placement. What's the sense of checking down to a DT in the flat if the ball doesn't lead him? Those 10 yard gains will easily become 3 yard gains.

;)

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

At this point we have 1 DT and 3 DEs under contract in 2018. Rebuild seems kind of inevitable, even if some of the depth is re-signed.

Either an edge rusher or a good pass rushing DT to push the pocket is an absolute must.  Both will make a lawson/hughes/washington look a lot better stat wise.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

A need, but not a need for a complete re-build.  Lawson and Hughes will be fine, IMO.  Lawson hasn’t been good as a pass rusher, but he has been solid against the run.  Give him time...certainly not time for the “bust” conversation.

Their greatest need on the d-line, IMO, is a run stuffing NT/DT (1 tech/3 tech) such as Vita Vea or Reginald McKenzie.

....any chance of or is a guy like Panthers' Lotulelei worth chasing as a UFA?........

• Like (+1) 1