Meanwhile, in Cleveland....

Just Jack

11 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Good in the regular season, but what had he or the team done in the playoffs? I dont think he had gotten out of the 1st round, not until McCarron played and they one the one game

The last Bengals playoff win was in 1990 against the Houston Oilers...

They then lost to Oakland which set up the famous 51-3 AFC Championship Game preceding the Bills first Super Bowl appearence...

Bengals are 0-7 in the playoffs since then...good lord...27 years(and counting--almost assuredly 28 at this point) that might be the longest playoff win drought in the NFL...

UPDATE:  It IS the longest playoff win drought in the NFL, but I think overall the Detroit Lions take the cake..

Lions last  playoff win was in 1991(Crushed the Cowboys 38-6 no less--the year preceding their two Super Bowl wins against us, but then the Lions got clobbered 41-10 against the Redskins who then clobbered us as well), they are 0-8 since then. In fact, that win is the ONLY playoff win they have had since 1957(but hey---they at least won the championship that year).

Since 1957, the Lions are 1-12 in the playoffs, with their only win coming 26 years ago...1 playoff win in 60 years...that might be an impossible record to ever beat---even for the Browns.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Moneyball! ??

Some people here really bought into that.

They've made the playoffs more recently than us.

if they weren't the worst drafting team ever, they be somewhere.  We had 3 pro bowl talent 25 year old players - Watkins, Dareus, and Darby would we got rid of.  If we added a franchise qb to those players, this is a playoff team.

24 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Since 1957, the Lions are 1-12 in the playoffs, with their only win coming 26 years ago...1 playoff win in 60 years...that might be an impossible record to ever beat---even for the Browns.

I don't know if I would say that. The way the Browns are going they could have one playoff appearance in 60 years, if the team lasts that long....

26 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

if they weren't the worst drafting team ever, they be somewhere.  We had 3 pro bowl talent 25 year old players - Watkins, Dareus, and Darby would we got rid of.  If we added a franchise qb to those players, this is a playoff team.

They do have a Pro Bowl QB, it's not like Watkins and Darby were guys who deserved to be there because of their amazing career numbers.....

18 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I don't know if I would say that. The way the Browns are going they could have one playoff appearance in 60 years, if the team lasts that long....

They do have a Pro Bowl QB, it's not like Watkins and Darby were guys who deserved to be there because of their amazing career numbers.....

The Saints get an additional honorable mention because it took them 33 years to win their first ever playoff game(1967 to 2000)

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

The Browns are like the Bengals of the late 90s/early 2000s...

Getting high draft picks and squandering them for nearly a decade by drafting busts and mediocre players...Ki-Jana Carter and Akili Smith anyone? No idea how you miss that badly on a #1 and #3 overall pick within that short a timeframe...not to mention a few years befor3 Carter they took David Klinger #6 overall...2 top 6 QB busts...but at least the third time was a charm when they took Carson Palmer #1 overall 4 years after Smith...

Bills fans take note of that...drafted 3 QBs in the top 6 in 11 years and first 2 were busts...

They eventually got it fixed but it took them a long long time of drafting in the top 10 every year. In the 12 years between the Klingler and Palmer drafts the Bengals drafted top 10 10 out of the 12 years including 7 top 5 picks and 4 #1 overall picks...

Browns are actually worse than those Bengals from both a talent and record standpoint.

Mike Brown isn't leading the draft for the Bills. Nor, is Cincy's then understaffed scouting group doing that work.

Just because the Bengals stunk drafting for much of the 90s doesn't mean that actively taking QB's is the wrong thing. Or, that continuing to take QBs high isn't wrong either. There's risk in taking one, but a lot more change your team will be nothing more than mediocre trying to find them on the scrap heap.

The 90s are more than a generation ago and not representative of what's going on today. Heck, Carson Palmer was drafted 1st overall in 2003 and didn't see the field until 2004. Playing the position back then was worlds different than it is now with the PI and roughing the passing penalties.

5 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

The Browns do suck which is fine. The simple fact is we hold the longest playoff drought not the Browns (2002) which hurts. They will also take the best college QB in the 2018 draft. If they don't they deserve to suck 4-ever.

They will get their pick of the top prospects but the thing is will they get the best QB?

They seem to have a way of screwing things up....even more than the Bills.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What does this have to do with moneyball?

You're saying an approach like the Browns' would have helped the Bills?

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The Bills as an organization are barely better than the Browns

From 2010-2016 I'd say they were barely better than the Browns.

There are early returns that suggest starting anew with McBeane hasn't been everything hoped for. But this certainly ain't the Nix/Whaley fun show where OBD was adrift at sea without any wind. Big time resources, terrible draft day decisions, changing defenses, multiple HC's.

That said, I need to see another draft and season before classifying Buffalo as in the Browns territory.

This is so strange... I thought Rex was awful and a total disaster, but the Bills haven't been a total disaster....

We tie ourselves up in knots on this board trying to make sense of the NFL's nowhere land of perpetual 7-9/8-8 seasons

My position is that the Bills haven't been that bad. Not under St. Doug, not under Rex, and not now under McDermott. They are basically .500 for the past several seasons. People want to pile on the Pegulas because they got rid of Whaley, EJ, Rex, Sammy, etc. but they have actually won as much as they have lost.

As Tyrod fans are fond of saying: "it could be worse..."

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Couple of things here

1. Pilot/Flying J trial got interesting this week, Haslem on tape he knew of scheme. Could be new ownership soon? Wonder if  Browns fans are hoping for that
  2. I am so smart, I thought the Browns had a shot at that division this year, and have a $100 ticket to prove it!
  3. Said in article Cinci fans take over the Browns stadium. Hard to believe that after what I saw in Cinci earlier this year, Bills fans outnumbered Cinci fans in that joint.

Doesn't Warren Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway have controlling interest or soon to have in Pilot?

39 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The Bills as an organization are barely better than the Browns

I live here in Cleveland and yours is a truly ignorant statement.  Fans thought it couldn't get worse then Randy Lerner and it seems they were wrong.  Seems like the upper management has a good plan in place but it's going to blow up anyways.  I truly feel bad for these fans, very depressing.

11 hours ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

The last 3 seasons including this year they are 4-39. Their current streak is they lost their last 25 games. Its a good thing they keep trading back and passing on Qb's.

They draft a lot more QBs than we do.  Johnny Football, Weeden, Kizer and acquired a lot of others McCown, Robert Griffin

It's a TBD Bills fan's dream!

4 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

I live here in Cleveland and yours is a truly ignorant statement.  Fans thought it couldn't get worse then Randy Lerner and it seems they were wrong.  Seems like the upper management has a good plan in place but it's going to blow up anyways.  I truly feel bad for these fans, very depressing.

The Mets guy and the team lawyer have "a good plan in place"?  What is it?

40 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Mets guy and the team lawyer have "a good plan in place"?  What is it?

They stockpiled a ton of picks and set themselves up for this past year and next year's draft.  Of course, that assumes they pick solid talent.  And Haslam doesn't muck things up too much.  But there's been a lot of talk of another front office shake up though.  What a mess.  The plan was good, how they execute it is obviously the endgame though.

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

They won 10 games in 2007.  Bills haven't done that this century as well besides making the playoffs.  

Overall i I think there very similar 

Both are similar...the only difference is the Bills win meaningless games that get them nowhere and the Browns can’t buy a win...but the end result is still the same.

I have to admit though, I envy the Browns having their pick of Darnold and Rosen...soon, just like every other team that passes us by, the Browns will be on their way to the postseason with their franchise QB and the Bills will be on their way to 7-9 because they never seem to want to do what it takes to get a top QB.

6 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

I live here to, and yeah it's not just the on the field you need to compare. So many gaff's off the field to. Gordon, manzeil, insanely high rate of draft busts... THE OWNER MAY NOW GO TO JAIL

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

Both are similar...the only difference is the Bills win meaningless games that get them nowhere and the Browns can’t buy a win...but the end result is still the same.

I have to admit though, I envy the Browns having their pick of Darnold and Rosen...soon, just like every other team that passes us by, the Browns will be on their way to the postseason with their franchise QB and the Bills will be on their way to 7-9 because they never seem to want to do what it takes to get a top QB.

Cash in that Golden Ticket and sit back and watch the Lombardis start rolling in.

17 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Be careful there Bills fans! I'm old enough to remember watching Leroy Kelly in black and white when the Browns were good and their games were the closest broadcasts CBS would show in WNY every Sunday.  There's now an entire generation who could say the same about watching another KELLY playing for the Bills when they once were a contender.

Before the merger the Browns were my family's favorite NFL team. Grandpa, dad, my brothers and I would all watch in the basement man cave. Jim Brown and Paul Warfield were my favorite players. I also remember going up to the attic to watch fuzzy hockey night in Canada from Toronto station with tin foil on the antenna. Now I feel old.

Edited by Turk71

Right now it looks like Home Field in the AFC may be decided week 15 when the Patriots* visit the Steelers.  Week 17 Browns @ Steelers could be a meaningless game for Pittsburgh to rests their starters. 

Cleveland's perfect season could be spoiled by their nemesis Pittsburgh

9 hours ago, Ohiostyle said:

I live here to, and yeah it's not just the on the field you need to compare. So many gaff's off the field to. Gordon, manzeil, insanely high rate of draft busts... THE OWNER MAY NOW GO TO JAIL

At this point, I'm hoping that happens and the NFL takes the franchise away from him.  Sadly, it's probably the best long term scenario for improving the team.

8 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Before the merger the Browns were my family's favorite NFL team. Grandpa, dad, my brothers and I would all watch in the basement man cave. Jim Brown and Paul Warfield were my favorite players. I also remember going up to the attic to watch fuzzy hockey night in Canada from Toronto station with tin foil on the antenna. Now I feel old.

OMG....I think you're me!

Used to love that old hockey night in Canada theme music. 

The coolest thing was getting that rotating antenna that wiukd slightly improve the signal. We'd sometimes pick up a fuzzy signal out of Rochester so we could pirate the Bills games from the Rockpile.

Good times!

12 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

They stockpiled a ton of picks and set themselves up for this past year and next year's draft.  Of course, that assumes they pick solid talent.  And Haslam doesn't muck things up too much.  But there's been a lot of talk of another front office shake up though.  What a mess.  The plan was good, how they execute it is obviously the endgame though.

They have had 24 picks over the past 2 drafts.  Where has it gotten them?  Their Offense and Defense have ranked at the bottom in points scored/allowed for the past two seasons.

And all the wheeling and dealing?  In 2016, they traded away the #2 pick and then the #8 pick.  So, they decided against drafting Goff/Wentz/Elliot...even Bosa.  For their generosity, they got Corey Coleman and Shon Coleman.  And Kessler!  And Derrick Kindred over Dak Prescott.

In 2017 they didn't trade down and took Miles Garrett.  But a team with few playmakers on offense, they passed on a raft of solid offensive needs. 

Then they let go of  their top WR (Pryor) to the Redskins, saying his demands outpaced their offer (32.5 million), which they then gave to Kenny Britt, who has brought them 16 receptions so far.  THEN the Browns tried to trade with the Reskins to get Pryor back before the deadline!

Their choice for HC is a guy who has one a single game, who thought it would be best to roll with....RG3!! as QB to start the "Hue Jackson  Era", instead of any of the QBs available in the draft.  And don't forget this is the crew that took Osweiler off the hands of Houston.

This is an awful plan, not a "good" plan.  They couldn't have sabotaged this team in so short of a time more completely if someone was actually paying them to.  It's a joke.

Haslam doesn't muck things up?? He's had 5 HC's in a 7 year period.  He took a baseball guy (Mets have crashed and burned) and put him in charge with the guy who used be the team's legal counsel. 

Horrible.

15 hours ago, Another Fan said:

They won 10 games in 2007.  Bills haven't done that this century as well besides making the playoffs.  

Overall i I think there very similar 

Overall, this millennium (starting with the 2000 season) the Browns are 86-197, the Bills are 112-160. The browns have had 14 seasons with double-digit losses (10 or more losses). The Bills have only had eight such seasons in the same time frame. 

Wouldn't call them similar

23 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

As sad as the Browns organization is at least they've been to the playoffs once in the last 17 years unlike the Bills.

Either way they need to get serious and make sure they finally get a franchise QB this year since they are likely getting the #1 overall pick even if they manage to win one game.

The Cleveland Browns will have made the playoffs only TWICE in 25 years. The Bills made the playoffs SIX times in that span while the Browns existed, and went to the Super Bowl four times with a MUCH better overall record. That point is really invalid... they haven't been even close to a Super Bowl in that time. The Browns have been BAD bad for years and years...

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2017 at 10:36 AM, TigerJ said:

I was a LeRoy Kelly fan back in the days before Buffalo drafted OJ Simpson and I discovered the Bills.

Such a great runner Kelly was. He had some great highlites