NFL executive says Buffalo Bills are perfect fit for Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield

"There's no telling who the Bills will favor when the draft rolls around, but one NFL executive believes the best fit for the Bills in the rookie class is Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield. The unnamed executive told NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah that Mayfield would be the starting quarterback as soon as he arrived in Buffalo.

"Mayfield isn't as athletic as Tyrod Taylor but he's a much better passer," said the NFL executive. "I think he would be the starter as soon as he arrived."

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/11/nfl_executive_says_buffalo_bills_are_perfect_fit_for_oklahoma_qb_baker_mayfield.html

• Like (+1) 2

This is my favorite QB in this draft class and I tried to watch them all as much as I could.

Plays with an attitude, really competitive can make all the throws.

He also seems like a natural born leader.

So the kid has done a few dumb things,who didn't when they were 20 somethings.

Billieve me he is no Johnny Manchild.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

"There's no telling who the Bills will favor when the draft rolls around, but one NFL executive believes the best fit for the Bills in the rookie class is Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield. The unnamed executive told NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah that Mayfield would be the starting quarterback as soon as he arrived in Buffalo.

"Mayfield isn't as athletic as Tyrod Taylor but he's a much better passer," said the NFL executive. "I think he would be the starter as soon as he arrived."

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/11/nfl_executive_says_buffalo_bills_are_perfect_fit_for_oklahoma_qb_baker_mayfield.html

I want to see how he looks at the combine and his real height and hand size. 

"Baker Mayfield is short. Lord, is he ever short."

His hands are small, much smaller than hands you would expect to throw a football accurately at long distances

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17284078/oklahoma-sooners-qb-baker-mayfield-used-defying-critics

I don't know if that article is just a joke or not.

Edited by ALF

With Baker Mayfield it will come down to how his teammates and coaches feel about him, not media and fans. If he gets rave reviews from his teammates and coaches teams will be willing to draft him in the 1st round. 

I actually like players with a chip on their shoulder for Buffalo. Buffalo is a market most big time college players want to avoid, so getting a QB that wants to prove people wrong is a positive. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure he will be a kid who fits the mould of people McDermott is looking for but I think Mayfield is the kind of accurate short range rhythm passer they want.  He has plenty of arm to throw the deep ball as well.  Size is going to make or break Mayfield as a first rounder.  He is listed as 6'1.  If he is 6'1 so am I.  I am 5'11 and so, I believe, is Baker Mayfield.  I actually think 5'11 he can still be a 1st rounder.  Shorter than that he drops... and maybe even out of the 2nd.  I saw one rumour that he is 5'9 and a 1/2.  If that is true he goes mid / late day 2.     

I don't know much about him, but he looks awesome in highlights.

How does he compare in talent and character issues to Chad Kelly or Johnny Manziel, while in college.   No, I'm not saying he is like them.  Just curious since they too were talented players with character issues.

1 minute ago, PIZ said:

How does he compare in talent and character issues to Chad Kelly or Johnny Manziel, while in college.   No, I'm not saying he is like them.  Just curious since they too were talented players with character issues.

He isn't on their level... just has some cocky, entitled, jock about him.  I also think he is in a different stratosphere to Manziel as a Quarterback.  He was never going to translate to the NFL character traits or no character traits. He didn't have the talent.  

1 hour ago, Dunkirk Don said:

Character issue

Yeah a little crotch grab and cockiness is a character issue. This is a team that, the one time they were good for a sustained period of time, had star players who were absolute party animals, and now we want a team of choir boys.

• Like (+1) 1

Here is a good read from SI

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/28/oklahoma-sooners-baker-mayfield-heisman-playoff

22 minutes ago, PIZ said:

One stupid arrest for Public Intoxication which he regrets  the other stuff was rubbing it(winning) in the face of the opposition.

Read the SI piece I posted a link to.

1 hour ago, JMF2006 said:

This is my favorite QB in this draft class and I tried to watch them all as much as I could.

Plays with an attitude, really competitive can make all the throws.

He also seems like a natural born leader.

So the kid has done a few dumb things,who didn't when they were 20 somethings.

Billieve me he is no Johnny Manchild.

How high do you think he’ll go in the draft ?And Do you think we have a shot to get him without selling the farm ? 

1 hour ago, ALF said:

His hands are small, much smaller than hands you would expect to throw a football accurately at long distances

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17284078/oklahoma-sooners-qb-baker-mayfield-used-defying-critics

You beat me to it ,  I remember the same was said about R Wilson , 

• Like (+1) 1

Mayfield would single-handedly turn this franchise around.

Which is why they probably won't take him.  Anyone remember the movie "Labyrinth"?  Remember at the beginning when they start out in the maze and they turn left, and the two creatures who live in the maze joke that if they had just turned right, they would've gone straight to the castle?  That's a metaphor for the Bills' last two decades.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I don’t think it fair to compare him to Chad Kelly who IMO was a total basket case , 

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

Mayfield would single-handedly turn this franchise around.

Which is why they probably won't take him.  Anyone remember the movie "Labyrinth"?  Remember at the beginning when they start out in the maze and they turn left, and the two creatures who live in the maze joke that if they had just turned right, they would've gone straight to the castle?  That's a metaphor for the Bills' last two decades.

LMAO.

In every mock I have ever done since 2005 I have only picked 2 players the selected Bradham and Stevie J and I even got the round right for SJ ;)

The chance of getting this right is slim and none.

I can only hope they think he is a franchise guy like I do.

This is a sport where you try to be better than the other guy.  You want to earn their respect and dominate the competition.  

Why hey do people have a problem with confidence?  That's a fine line to cockiness but so what?  If that what drives you to be better than others and you actually are, go on with your bad self.  Why, in this generation, being full of yourself a bad thing?  Everyone should be humble, bull ****, drive yourself to be the best!

Anyway, enough with that.  I like the kid but he is small in stature.  I'd support him if he's the pick.

3 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

So?  You scout tools in college players not boxscores.

True.  And part of the scouting process is to see whether (most of) those 12 INTs were on him.  If they were, you pass because he's doing that in college and it won't get any better in the pros.

2 hours ago, Dunkirk Don said:

Character issue

Other than not being able to control his emotions on the field, I don't see anything significant enough that would warrant a bad character grade. I don't think there is a single QB coming out that has as much passion as this guy. That sort of thing is contagious as well. Ray Lewis instantly made everyone on the field better just by his voice, and his presence. Terrell Suggs still can hear that mans voice on the field every time he gets a strip sack. If this kid can ignite a fire in all of our players, then I'll welcome it.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ALF said:

For some reason, this stands out (concerns) to me.  How small are his hands?  Dave Krieg small?

I don't see McDermott going for Baker Mayfield. 

It's already been established how important he considers character.  Mayfield already has an arrest, and the whole crotch-grabbing incident against Kansas this year.  Maybe he's not getting busted for drugs or beating his girlfriend, but those actions are going to weight heavily against him.

4 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I don't see McDermott going for Baker Mayfield. 

It's already been established how important he considers character.  Mayfield already has an arrest, and the whole crotch-grabbing incident against Kansas this year.  Maybe he's not getting busted for drugs or beating his girlfriend, but those actions are going to weight heavily against him.

He goes out for the coin toss and the Kansas team captains snub him on the handshake and possibly said something......really.... a 1-9 team.

So he soundly whoops their ass and tells them how he feels about them.

Not very classy and certainly not the high road you would hope he would take but he's 22 and ultra competitive.

I might have done the same thing if I were in his shoes.