NFL executive says Buffalo Bills are perfect fit for Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield

Mayfield has a bunch of character questions. They may or may not be issues. He also has a dad who is a mini LaVar Ball, so that may work against him, too, or be a window into his character. He had a lot of problems with his coach at Texas Tech but he was young. I tend to forgive a lot of that stuff when they are 19 or so. 

Edited by Kelly the Dog

4 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Mayfield certainly is a talented player. But too many red flags and personality issues similar to Johnny Manziel.

Still think NP has tremendous upside and franchise QB potential anyway so if the choice was between him and Mayfield I'm sticking with NP.

I truly am sorry. I feel horrible and now it appears NP is no savior after all and a mere mortal 5th round draft pick for a reason.

I'm sorry, but I changed my mind.

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Some one disrespect him on the  field and he tells them off is not a character issue.

Yeah, I watched that game and at the coin toss Mayfield tried to shake hands with the opponents and none of the 3 even acknowledged he was standing 5 feet in front of them. So when things went well for Mayfield he let the other team know it.

Claiming character issues is laughable for that day.

Edited by PeterGriffin
  • Like (+1) 1

Maybe they have the wrong guy from the State of Oklahoma.

What about Mason Rudolph at Oklahoma State?

I seem to recall a guy named Thomas who played at OSU who turned into a fairly good Bill as well.

Plus he's 6'5".

I don't really care which guy of this ilk the Bills take, as long as they take a guy.

We need to be taking a guy like this constantly until one sticks.

7 hours ago, ALF said:

I want to see how he looks at the combine and his real height and hand size. 

"Baker Mayfield is short. Lord, is he ever short."

His hands are small, much smaller than hands you would expect to throw a football accurately at long distances

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17284078/oklahoma-sooners-qb-baker-mayfield-used-defying-critics

I don't know if that article is just a joke or not.

Whatever that article is , he can sling it very accurately.

If Darnold had Mayfield' s year they would try to give him two Heismans this year.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think there may be something to that but I am not big on "upside" drafting.  Don't project too much on what you think they will be able to do in 4 years.  That's how Greg Robinson gets picked 2nd overall despite having none of the requisite skills to play OT in the NFL beyond "he's massive".  

I do agree with those who think Rudolph is probably closer to what the Bills brass is looking for though.  

I agree. In rounds 1-3, you should go "safer." In the later rounds, go with upside. It's why I preferred a pic like like Cardale over Peterman. I didn't love either guy but that late, I'd go with the upside.  That said, I'm fine with any qb pick.

Mayfield looks good in the system he plays in but will have some significant limitations that probably will surface in the postseason draft process.  He compares to Manziel in the way he can make plays happen in that kind of offense and also in some of the attitude he shows on and off the field.  He'll probably be there in the second half of the draft and could be successful in the NFL if he goes to the right situation as he's gotten to at Oklahoma.  

There are two franchise QBs in this draft (Rosen and Darnold) and then everyone else that could develop into starters.  I agree with a post above that Clayton Thorson would be the best fit if Dennison is the OC and McDermott is the HC going forward.  He has size, tools and plays smart to develop into a solid starter down the road.  He probably will come out this year and could be gotten late in the 1st or on the second day of the draft probably.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I think Rosen LOOKS like the better pro prospect right now, but I think that Darnold IS the better pro prospect, if that makes sense: better size, better arm, better accuracy and arm strength while on the move when plays break down, and a slightly better release. This is not a critique of Rosen, who is also quite good at all of these things too. Bear in mind that USC is 19-3 in games that Darnold has started, and in the very first game he started - which SC lost 31-27 to Utah - he lit it up. He will throw the occasional pick, but he's 20.  I think he's gonna be a monster pro.

Check it out: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000877512/article/ask-5-whos-better-nfl-prospect-sam-darnold-or-josh-rosen.

Bear in mind that I like Rosen.

I know you do and we're just splitting hairs. IMO, Darnold is struggling with turnovers on a far superior team that UCLA. Imagine how he would be doing playing for UCLA and their god awful defense. 

If i I had to rank them in my preference for the Bills:

1) rosen

2) Darnold

3) Mason

4) Mayfield and 5) Jackson as complete wild cards and probably not the best for Buffalo given our terrible history of developing qbs

6) Allen who I never got his hype besides his physical skills 

....Trapasso has Rudolph at #1 and Mayfield at #6.............

2018 NFL Draft QB Stock Watch: Oklahoma State's Mason Rudolph clinging to No. 1

Rudolph is still the most NFL-ready quarterback prospect, but his contemporaries have gained ground

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-qb-stock-watch-oklahoma-states-mason-rudolph-clinging-to-no-1/

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think there may be something to that but I am not big on "upside" drafting.  Don't project too much on what you think they will be able to do in 4 years.  That's how Greg Robinson gets picked 2nd overall despite having none of the requisite skills to play OT in the NFL beyond "he's massive".  

I do agree with those who think Rudolph is probably closer to what the Bills brass is looking for though.  

You were very high on Dashawn Watson and he is not tall nor prototype. I believe Mayfield has played better than Watson and he is definitely more accurate, which was the major concerns I had with him.

7 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

He's taller than Alf ;)

BTW I think Drew Brees proved you don't need to be 6'3"-6'5" to play in the NFL

Russell Wilson approves this message :thumbsup:

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

3 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I think Rudolph is exactly the type of QB McBeane wants. We've heard Beane describe his ideal QB as a big dude with the ability to hang in the pocket. Rudolph shows that but he also has inconsistencies as well. They all do. But they're gonna take one of these kids, they almost have to.

I've been saying it in threads all over. I really hope this front office/coaching staff is flexible when it comes to how high they prioritize certain player traits. It's well understood that they want team-first, high character guys, guys who play for love of the game as opposed to getting paid, etc. But I wouldn't let those traits limit my decisions. If they have Player A and Player B on the big board and one guy is a naturally gifted athlete who would likely be a great player but has some character stuff and Player B is gonna be a solid but never spectacular player but he drives a bus of 50 grandmothers to church every Sunday... I sincerely hope they give consideration to taking the purely better player, not necessarily the better person with higher character traits.

Plus, if McD wants to shape the culture to his liking, he should be confident that his locker room can be a positive influence on a player with a couple red flags. 

Who wants a player that drives a bus on Sunday rather than getting ready for the game?:D

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not sure he will be a kid who fits the mould of people McDermott is looking for but I think Mayfield is the kind of accurate short range rhythm passer they want.  He has plenty of arm to throw the deep ball as well.  Size is going to make or break Mayfield as a first rounder.  He is listed as 6'1.  If he is 6'1 so am I.  I am 5'11 and so, I believe, is Baker Mayfield.  I actually think 5'11 he can still be a 1st rounder.  Shorter than that he drops... and maybe even out of the 2nd.  I saw one rumour that he is 5'9 and a 1/2.  If that is true he goes mid / late day 2.     

I hope he does then we won't have to trade up to get him.

6 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

Clayton Thorson is going to be our guy.  Franchise QB tools, pocket passer with choir boy character.

No way, he will be lucky to be a backup.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I recall legions of TSW "scouts" saying the same thing about Deshawn Watson a year ago---the INTs and "accuracy issues".

This is a non problem.  The kid's a confident playmaker.

Watson's TD:INT ratio was almost double Thorson's.  It's a concern and only time will tell if it's a "non problem."

And Watson had a handful of good games before getting injured.  The book is still out on him.  

6 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

LMAO.

In every mock I have ever done since 2005 I have only picked 2 players the selected Bradham and Stevie J and I even got the round right for SJ ;)

The chance of getting this right is slim and none.

I can only hope they think he is a franchise guy like I do.

I have gotten about one every year so I'm counting on that :D (got 2 last year, Zay and Milano)

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Watson's TD:INT ratio was almost double Thorson's.  It's a concern and only time will tell if it's a "non problem."

And Watson had a handful of good games before getting injured.  The book is still out on him.  

Sorry, I thought we were discussing Mayfield.

The point is that Watson was immediately ready to play in the NFL.

6 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Josh Rosen please

CBF

Sure but good luck getting him.

5 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Reading some twitter quotes from Baker and appears to be a team player.. I like that he is pretty upset his OL didn't get the accolades he feels they deserve.. Not a me 1st player from my 1st impression.. Got to like that

Other than that.. I couldn't tell you a damn thing about his ability or whether we should draft him

Caption this image :lol:

image.thumb.jpeg.ba19417cc064d4c250ddfb3352fa81ec.jpeg

The hills are alive with the sound of music.

5 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

He doesn’t have Character issues. 

He he works his butt off, studies the game and is a true leader and his team loves him. 

What he has is a slight maturity problem, which should go away. And at times he has let his emotions get the best of him. 

To be honest I want an emotional leader. He just has to mature a little but as far as character, work ethic and leadership, he has it all.

He is the type of guy day 1, in a NFL environment would grow up real fast. He’s smart enough to know what’s expected of him and would step up.

More it less, he’s in the Jameis Winston lane coming out of college vs the Johnny Manzeil lane. Jameis was maturity where Johnny was Character.

Let's hope he doesn't do the "eat a W" dance :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

If the Bills hire the offensive minded and highly acclaimed coach Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma, as a package deal with drafting his quarterback Mayfield,, then I would take a chance. Otherwise, no. I have seen too many great college offensive coordinators/coaches with great systems turn quarterback turds into studs in college. Then when they turn pro, they may become duds with other coaches and vastly different systems. I have no way of knowing if Mayfield is great because of that supposedly great coaching and system, or his talent. I would suspect a bit of both but I would be way more comfortable with some genius type offensive coordinator if the Bills select him, like Lincoln Riley, one that knows him well and can utilize his talent to the fullest in creative ways. You never know. Maybe Riley would be ok with such a scenerio, if McBean was interested.