NFL executive says Buffalo Bills are perfect fit for Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield

20 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Oh the horror! We all know the rumors of what 12 and 78 did off the field in their hey day and we're going to get our panties in a bunch over being drunk in public?

Rumors compared to actually being arrested and pleading guilty are not even close to being the same. You may not think it’s a big deal but there are legitimate character concerns with Mayfield. 

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I don't think Mayfield has nearly as many red flags or similar traits as Manziel. He keeps getting comparisons to him because of his size and style of play but Mayfield doesn't appear to be a massive knucklehead like Manziel.

And I think the upside on Nate Peterman is pretty limited. He picked up steam heading into the draft because he played in a pro-style system at Pitt but I don't think he's franchise material. When I think franchise QB, I think of a guy who can do it all, make all the throws, read defenses, check the offense into the right plays at the right times, see the field well, come through in clutch situations, etc. I think Peterman has a couple of those traits. It looks like he can make most throws and his accuracy/ball placement isn't too bad. His intelligence and work ethic are also up there but he's streaky. If he starts a game in a funk he usually stays there. He had some games at Pitt where he got hot and was able to keep it rolling but overall I really can't see him being a number one guy anywhere in this league. IMO he will carve out a decent career as a solid backup, though.

i just had a thought when i read this. there was one play...sorry not sure which, but the throw was to kb,where i was watching np's eyes looking right and he threw a strike left. you can see that he can trick dbs with his eyes and freeze them. that to me is a huge talent and i can't remember seeing someone so effective at that ....well reminded me of  theisman.

Edited by billsredneck1

56 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Oh the horror! We all know the rumors of what 12 and 78 did off the field in their hey day and we're going to get our panties in a bunch over being drunk in public?

...ONLY panties that matter are Beane & McD......leave yours in the drawer and they won't get bunched.....

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wppete said:

I would be very happy if we can get Baker Mayfield especially with our second first round pick. Think he would be great in Buffalo fans will love him!

pick up an o lineman in the second round.

i'm hoping darnold declares and it would be quite possible mayfield falls to us. if we didn't have to move we could really do well with the rest of the picks. my fingers be crossed.

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Rumors compared to actually being arrested and pleading guilty are not even close to being the same. You may not think it’s a big deal but there are legitimate character concerns with Mayfield. 

Dude, come on. Public drunkenness is a character concern but cocaine and domestic violence aren't because they're just rumors? FFS.

58 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Dude, come on. Public drunkenness is a character concern but cocaine and domestic violence aren't because they're just rumors? FFS.

Now you’re putting words in my mouth. Theyre all character concerns but the information we have is limited compared to what teams know. Point being is we would just be speculating about rumors. There’s no speculation about Mayfield being arrested and pleading guilty. Opinions about whether those concerns matter will vary but those concerns still exist.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JM57 said:

The 80’s and early 90’s was a much different era as well. The 90’s Bills comparisons just don’t work work for me. Successful QB’s in the current NFL tend to not be drunkards, coke heads, abusers, and troublemakers.

In addition, rumors are far easier to face than legit accusations. We live in an age of 24/7 meda coverage. Everything these guys do goes public. This eventually catches up with them, and creates distractions. The type of distractions that you’d prefer a franchise QB not to have. This is where I worry about Mayfield. I see the potential for a career to be derailed by distractions. Buffalonians talking behind Jimbo’s back wasn’t the same type of distraction. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

14 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

"There's no telling who the Bills will favor when the draft rolls around, but one NFL executive believes the best fit for the Bills in the rookie class is Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield. The unnamed executive told NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah that Mayfield would be the starting quarterback as soon as he arrived in Buffalo.

"Mayfield isn't as athletic as Tyrod Taylor but he's a much better passer," said the NFL executive. "I think he would be the starter as soon as he arrived."

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/11/nfl_executive_says_buffalo_bills_are_perfect_fit_for_oklahoma_qb_baker_mayfield.html

Any draft pick is a 50/50 chance. Flip a coin on whether he'd be a success

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I'm shocked you like Mayfield more than Watson!!! Shocked!!! 

Hot tub in dorm is the craziest qb criticism ever. Marino supposedly love "skiing," Big Ben & Jameis are rapists, Peyton bean bagged a trainer.  But avoid the hot tub guy at all costs!!!

Rob Johnson.....

8 hours ago, wppete said:

I would be very happy if we can get Baker Mayfield especially with our second first round pick. Think he would be great in Buffalo fans will love him!

pick up an o lineman in the second round.

I don't think he will last that long but I do like him if we get him. My hopes we sell the farm for Rosen.

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Good chance they turn over the FO and/or coaching staff again. If they do, they likely won’t take one and will stick with Kizer this year or maybe take one later like the kid from Nc State. 

Well at least we can say thank God were not Cleveland fans lol

11 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I'm shocked you like Mayfield more than Watson!!! Shocked!!! 

Me too :lol: , I didn't think much of him last year but after watching most of his games this year I had to admit he was playing at a high level.

Matt Waldman interesting film breakdown on Mayfield:

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2017/11/21/matt-waldmans-rsp-boiler-room-no-118-qb-baker-mayfield-coverage-reads-and-footwork/

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Baker Mayfield is absolutely perfect for Buffalo and fans will absolutely love his arm, swagger and ability.

Until he throws his second interception and/or on the All-22, a TE looks wide open two seconds after Mayfield looks his way.

Yeah, sure wish we were those tolerant fans that love two-INT games. 

And as for somebody getting open way after the QB looked his way, nobody minds that. Unless the QB is scrambling and has time to look again and still doesn't see him.

Bottom line ... of course people are going to be frustrated sometimes, at whoever is here. But guys in their first and second years get a lot more leeway than guys in their seventh year, which is as it should be. But as long as the as yet unknown new guys is able to become a franchise QB down the line, fans will be plenty happy. Haven't had one since Kelly, so it's pretty reasonable that we're pissed off.

15 hours ago, BrooklynBills said:

Not trying to be snarky - Are you watching him throw or just looking at his stats?

He plays with FAR less WR talent than anyone else mentioned here and he is not playing a QB-friendly system like Mayfield, Rudolph, Falk, Jackson, etc.

Carson Wentz threw in the low 60% in this offense in div 2 CFB.  Allen is throwing mid 50% in div 1.

His accuracy is fine.

I have watched him 3 times this year and done a lot of work now on his 2016 tape. I am a hard no on Allen in the 1st round. I accept the less talent argument, I accept the fewer high percentage throws argument.... but there are too many throws that are just nowhere near their intended target. He looks like a prototypical Quarterback so I am not surprised some NFL scouts love him but when you put on the tape it isn't there. 

I have a 3rd round grade on him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1