NFL executive says Buffalo Bills are perfect fit for Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield

Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield will be an NFL bust

December 02, 2017 03:29 PM

UPDATED 10 HOURS 24 MINUTES AGO

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article187739178.html

Old Time AFL Guy: that article was really poor.  Is the author  a Texas or Nebraska fan by chance?   He offers no real substance for his prediction except mainly that Mayfield is short and will likely win the Heisman Trophy.  Obviously, the author has never heard of Drew Brees, Russell Wilson or Kirk Cousins, all of whom fell out of the first round because they were deemed "too short/too slight" to be NFL starters, and have still found success.  

As for the Heisman Trophy winners coming up short in the NFL, that's an exceptionally stupid argument.  The Heisman is awarded on collegiate achievement not on suitability for NFL success.   Most QBs who get drafted into the NFL, even those taken in the first round, wind up disappointments, and the divergence of the college and pro games has made that even more likely.  Even college QBs who have "all the right metrics" for NFL success frequently crash and burn. 

PS Since I don't follow college football, I have no preference for any collegiate QB ... it's just that the article was so bad.

PSS When I tried to quote your post, that article messed up my reply format for some reason, so I didn't use it.  I don't know if that's a general problem or something loopy with my browser.

7 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

10 games of success... no one is owed 10 games of failure.

Peterman is awful, the game is too fast for him at the NFL level. Let it go, I know you all wanted him and zay to light it up after there preseason. But they are both trending in the wrong direction, even with Zays improvement over the last few games he played.

On Peterman you may be right.  Zay however, you're completely wrong. 

Just now, Doc said:

On Peterman you may be right.  Zay however, you're completely wrong. 

Again, you can't really say that because he hasn't done particularly well as a rookie, and even if he did, that doesn't mean he's going to continue to improve to become an accomplished pro WR.   Unless they are really, really bad, it takes 2 or 3 years at least to determine if most players are keepers or not.

55 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Again, you can't really say that because he hasn't done particularly well as a rookie, and even if he did, that doesn't mean he's going to continue to improve to become an accomplished pro WR.   Unless they are really, really bad, it takes 2 or 3 years at least to determine if most players are keepers or not.

Actually you can't really say much about either player given how little they've played and in Zay's case, his QB.  Peterman may turn out to be a good player, but the Bills can't count on it and will have to find a new QB.  As for Zay, he's been improving steadily so I have no idea where the "he's trending downwards" comes from.

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Old Time AFL Guy: that article was really poor.  Is the author  a Texas or Nebraska fan by chance?   He offers no real substance for his prediction except mainly that Mayfield is short and will likely win the Heisman Trophy.  Obviously, the author has never heard of Drew Brees, Russell Wilson or Kirk Cousins, all of whom fell out of the first round because they were deemed "too short/too slight" to be NFL starters, and have still found success.  

As for the Heisman Trophy winners coming up short in the NFL, that's an exceptionally stupid argument.  The Heisman is awarded on collegiate achievement not on suitability for NFL success.   Most QBs who get drafted into the NFL, even those taken in the first round, wind up disappointments, and the divergence of the college and pro games has made that even more likely.  Even college QBs who have "all the right metrics" for NFL success frequently crash and burn. 

PS Since I don't follow college football, I have no preference for any collegiate QB ... it's just that the article was so bad.

PSS When I tried to quote your post, that article messed up my reply format for some reason, so I didn't use it.  I don't know if that's a general problem or something loopy with my browser.

...looks like he writes for a Texas newspaper, so perhaps a bit of "bad blood" with neighboring Oklahoma.......saw it and posted it only to share.......

The Article is from Fort Worthless Texas.

Sounds like sour grapes with an axe to grind,they did dust TCU(Fort Worth) yesterday and BRM is a Texan by birth.

14 hours ago, Big C said:

First time watching a full game of this kid and he looked damn good.

Seen him play about 5 times this year as I only get every other weekend off.

Missed yesterdays game as I had to work.

Appears  he had a good showing from everything I read.

16 hours ago, SoTier said:

Watson looked good but he played in exactly 7 games.  The number of QBs who have looked great for fewer than 10 games as first time starters and then tanked are legion.  Most recently and spectacularly are Brock Osweiler and Colin Kaepernick,  which why it takes at least two and sometimes three years to decide if a QB is truly a keeper.

The discussion back then wasn't whether, after say,  exactly 7 great games as a rookie, he would be a keeper 2 or 3 years later.

The discussion was whether his "inaccuracy" (and being propped up by great WRs in college) made him a starting caliber NFL QB draft prospect at all.

20 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Manziel has no talents that could be translated to the NFL level and neither did Tebow.. 

Manziel had a ton of talent. His issue is he didn't care. Didn't put in any effort. If he cared and was put on a better team he could have been a great player