NFL executive says Buffalo Bills are perfect fit for Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield

14 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

You were very high on Dashawn Watson and he is not tall nor prototype. I believe Mayfield has played better than Watson and he is definitely more accurate, which was the major concerns I had with him.

I don't understand the point? When have I ever argued for drafting prototype? 

As for Mayfield v Watson. I disagree that he has played better. I do think he has better short range accuracy. I think Mayfield's short range accuracy is right up there with some of the best I have seen in college prospects (though the narrative about Watson's accuracy was junk IMO). I still think there is a bit of a lack of big NFL throws on Mayfield's tape. I am not talking necessarily about deep balls and I don't think he lacks arm - he has plenty of arm and it might just be a product of the offense he is asked to run but it does knock him down a touch in my grading.

Where I think Mayfield and Watson are similar is their ability to play their best at the biggest moments. That is an important quality for me. 

At this moment I have Mayfield where you have him. QB3 and a 1st rounder. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As for Mayfield v Watson. I disagree that he has played better. I do think he has better short range accuracy. I think Mayfield's short range accuracy is right up there with some of the best I have seen in college prospects (though the narrative about Watson's accuracy was junk IMO). I still think there is a bit of a lack of big NFL throws on Mayfield's tape. I am not talking necessarily about deep balls and I don't think he lacks arm - he has plenty of arm and it might just be a product of the offense he is asked to run but it does knock him down a touch in my grading.

Where I think Mayfield and Watson are similar is their ability to play their best at the biggest moments. That is an important quality for me. 

I commented on your comment about Rudolph being a better option because he was  taller, maybe I read it wrong but that is how I took it.

I think Mayfield has blown Watson away on accuracy, I watched a ton of Watson sailing balls like ej.

14 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I commented on your comment about Rudolph being a better option because he was  taller, maybe I read it wrong but that is how I took it.

I think Mayfield has blown Watson away on accuracy, I watched a ton of Watson sailing balls like ej.

Watson didn't sail balls like EJ... come off it.  

My comment on Rudolph was not that I think he is a better option.  I do like Rudolph some but I have Mayfield slightly ahead of him at this point.  My comment was about Rudolph fitting more what I think the Buffalo Bills decision makers are looking for.  Brandon Beane has described what he looks for in a Quarterback and it didn't sound much like Baker Mayfield and then when you add in the character factor he just feels to me like the antithesis of a McDermott / Beane pick.  I think Mason Rudolph is closer to their ideal profile of a franchise Quarterback.  

• Like (+1) 1

I like Mayfield but there's a couple big concerns about him.

1) He's undersized. 

2) Oklahoma's offense. I don't know what kind of offense the Sooners run but I'm pretty sure it's not a "pro style offense". Seems like a lot of receivers running wide open and stuff. This is my biggest concern with Mayfield because how do we know how good he is at reading defenses, etc?

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have watched him 3 times this year and done a lot of work now on his 2016 tape. I am a hard no on Allen in the 1st round. I accept the less talent argument, I accept the fewer high percentage throws argument.... but there are too many throws that are just nowhere near their intended target. He looks like a prototypical Quarterback so I am not surprised some NFL scouts love him but when you put on the tape it isn't there. 

I have a 3rd round grade on him. 

Sounds like Christian Hackenburg.

"Look like Tarzan. Play like Jane."

Have you written something up for Rudolph?

12 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Have you written something up for Rudolph?

Not yet. Everything I have so far is notes in my scrapbook. I will have write ups... planning to write up 7 this year (Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Rudolph, Jackson, Allen, Falk) if they all come out. 

But my write ups are normally Feb time. I still have an important part of my process (I had one before McD) to go. 

Honestly, I don't get the whole Rosen/Darnold hype. I'm honestly not all that impressed. Personally, I love Mayfield. I'd be happy to have him... Of course, I also don't get paid the big bucks to scout quarterbacks for the Bills either.

Edited by CLTbills

Watson didn't sail balls like EJ... come off it.  

My comment on Rudolph was not that I think he is a better option.  I do like Rudolph some but I have Mayfield slightly ahead of him at this point.  My comment was about Rudolph fitting more what I think the Buffalo Bills decision makers are looking for.  Brandon Beane has described what he looks for in a Quarterback and it didn't sound much like Baker Mayfield and then when you add in the character factor he just feels to me like the antithesis of a McDermott / Beane pick.  I think Mason Rudolph is closer to their ideal profile of a franchise Quarterback.  

I agree with this and I actually have Rudolph as their best option.

22 hours ago, Bills757 said:

One thing to keep in mind, though, is the fact the Big12 simply doesn't play defense.  It's across the board.  it's not because the offense are extremely prolific....a lot simply has to do with the fact defenses in that conference blow.  There are a total of two defense from the Big12 in the top 50 in total defense (TCU at 18 and Iowa State at 46).

This is true, but it could be said about a lot of college defenses among the top 50 teams or so. They generally play zone and leave players wide open on every play. 

17 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

i just had a thought when i read this. there was one play...sorry not sure which, but the throw was to kb,where i was watching np's eyes looking right and he threw a strike left. you can see that he can trick dbs with his eyes and freeze them. that to me is a huge talent and i can't remember seeing someone so effective at that ....well reminded me of  theisman.

Yeah, I'm not trashing Peterman, I'm just of the mind that he has a few strong qualities but not enough (nor does he play consistently enough) to be a #1 franchise guy. He's a roller coaster. There were games in college where he was rock solid, accurate, keeping drives alive, scoring points, etc. And then games where one bad play seemed to stick in his head and his play would be affected for the rest of the game. He might be able to figure it out but I can't say I have a ton of confidence in a guy like Rick Dennison developing a 5th round pick into a franchise QB.

2 hours ago, westerndecline said:

I know it's a high comparison, but Rudolph has tht quick Dan Marino release. He looks just like him....

I saw a Rudolph and Bryce Petty comparison and im finding it hard to disagree. Someone help me understand why his name is being talked about as first round pick 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and why not the Rudolph kid over Mayfield anyway?.......what's your take SIX?............

Well, all things  being equal, I value height and hand size in a QB over the lack thereof.

In the games I've seen him play, he's done some pretty amazing things.

Just now, joesixpack said:

Well, all things  being equal, I value height and hand size in a QB over the lack thereof.

In the games I've seen him play, he's done some pretty amazing things.

...thank you.....I don't get to see collegiate ball, but from what I've read, kid does have some size and skills.....I fear the Mayfield kid being Chad Kelly II......how the hell do you jeopardize a potential mega millions future with dumbass indiscretions that you expect NFL gang to overlook in this heightened awareness of character conduct?...