NFL executive says Buffalo Bills are perfect fit for Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield

3 hours ago, Dunkirk Don said:

Character issue

He doesn’t have Character issues. 

He he works his butt off, studies the game and is a true leader and his team loves him. 

What he has is a slight maturity problem, which should go away. And at times he has let his emotions get the best of him. 

To be honest I want an emotional leader. He just has to mature a little but as far as character, work ethic and leadership, he has it all.

He is the type of guy day 1, in a NFL environment would grow up real fast. He’s smart enough to know what’s expected of him and would step up.

More it less, he’s in the Jameis Winston lane coming out of college vs the Johnny Manzeil lane. Jameis was maturity where Johnny was Character.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

You do realize that the people making decisions now are different than the people making decisions then, right? And that maybe they have different priorities? And maybe the comments about character pertain specifically to our current FO?

Wait a minute!  You mean there are members of the Bills front office on this chat board? Cool! (Sarcasm) My point of course is that what most fans know about character is very very limited. I'm going to leave that to OBD.

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Um no.  But the memory span of many of the younger crowd always makes me laugh.

Jim Kelly almost single handedly destroyed those SB teams. Luckily, they were loaded with talent and enough guys to tell Kelly to shut up.

i think some of this character stuff is BS but it 100% matters at qb.  This is leader.  Baker starts saying F you and grabbing his crotch at guys like Watt, he will get broken in half.

The manzeil comparisons are weak. Manzeil was handed everything on a silver spoon his whole life, surrounded himself with enablers, and has zero accountability. Mayfield was a walk on who has worked for everything he has gotten. He did have one run in with the cops but don’t forget Dak Prescott got a DUI after his senior year and he is heralded as this great character guy now. Mayfield is the type of player you hate if he’s not on your team. Otherwise you love him. 

Furthermore, mcd’s character requirements seem to be more of the “football character” variety. Dion Dawkins was arrested in college and he traded up for him. He wants players who will gut it out, leave it all on the field, prepare like a dog, love the game of Football, etc. He loves 4 year starters and team captains. Mayfield actually is a pretty good fit for McD. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The manzeil comparisons are weak. Manzeil was handed everything on a silver spoon his whole life, surrounded himself with enablers, and has zero accountability. Mayfield was a walk on who has worked for everything he has gotten. He did have one run in with the cops but don’t forget Dak Prescott got a DUI after his senior year and he is heralded as this great character guy now. Mayfield is the type of player you hate if he’s not on your team. Otherwise you love him. 

Johnny’s teammates really didn’t care for him. He is lazy and is a me first guy. That is a Character.

Nobody is comparing anyone to Manziel. Just pointing out the differences between Character and maturity.

I do agree though. Mayfield is nowhere like Manziel. He is more like Winston was my point.

Just now, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Johnny’s teammates really didn’t care for him. He is lazy and is a me first guy. That is a Character.

Nobody is comparing anyone to Manziel. Just pointing out the differences between Character and maturity.

I do agree though. Mayfield is nowhere like Manziel. He is more like Winston was my point.

There are tons of people comparing him to Manzeil. Maybe not in this thread or even on this board but it’s pretty common.

2 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

Clayton Thorson is going to be our guy.  Franchise QB tools, pocket passer with choir boy character.

I came here to say this. He's also athletic though. Was running the option last year in a couple games. I think he's also a second rounder, which allows the front office to get much better front 7 players in the first.

3 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

No way these guys take Mayfield. They are positioning for a move for one of Rosen, Darnold, or Allen IMO. I think they are prepared to trade both 1sts and next year's 1st to do it. And they will have potential trade partners in the Colts, 49ers, Bears, Bucs, and Browns(Texans pick).

Word on the street is that Darnold (the best talent in the draft, and by a faigr bit) is leaning toward staying at USC.

Edited by dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Wait a minute!  You mean there are members of the Bills front office on this chat board? Cool! (Sarcasm) My point of course is that what most fans know about character is very very limited. I'm going to leave that to OBD.

And more to your point, Mayfield's draft status is far more dependent on his measurables than his current character flaws imo. If he measures under 6' with ~9" hands he's probably not going as high as he'd like.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There are tons of people comparing him to Manzeil. Maybe not in this thread or even on this board but it’s pretty common.

Haven’t seen them but if that’s the case... They don’t have a clue and it is weak. Johnny was is a mess. 

Obviously once scouts outs and teams sit with this kid and talk Xs & Os, and find out the responsibilities he had as the QB at OU. That’s whats gonna make or break him, besides he size. Russell Wilson build is a good comparison.

My sleeper at QB is Ryan Finley outside rd 1. I don’t see this FO trading picks away to get into top 5.

Maybe trade or move picks around to move up 5-6 spots to get inside top 15 if they like Mayfield but again, the sit downs will determine his draft status.

24 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Biscuit

im neither a Mayfield fan or critic.  But I'm glad he learned a character lesson before he turned Pro.

I mean those 2 plays really showed him!!!

Im so torn on the guy.  He is IMO the most polarizing prospect of this draft.  That said, I'd rather take a chance on him rather than some retread qb.

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Word on the street is that Darnold (the best talent in the draft, and by a faigr bit) is leaning toward staying at USC.

If he gets a 1st round grade from the NFL draft committee, which I think he would, it would be a terrible decision.  Too much can happen in a year in college to affect your draft stock.  Staying in school to maximize your draft position and try to go #1 overall made sense before the rookie cap, but the $$ gained by doing it now is not worth the risk of injury or having a down year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Furthermore, mcd’s character requirements seem to be more of the “football character” variety. Dion Dawkins was arrested in college and he traded up for him. He wants players who will gut it out, leave it all on the field, prepare like a dog, love the game of Football, etc. He loves 4 year starters and team captains. Mayfield actually is a pretty good fit for McD. 

I agree but isn't that what you do with every prospect?    Every black qb gets compared to every black NFL qb (not me, see my Bridgewater- Pennington comp!).

but a few things with the Manziel comparison:

1) Baker isn't exactly from the streets of Austin

2). When told he needed to compete for his job at Tech, he got mad and left.  He obviously made the right choice but he felt entitled.

3). Cockiness from your qb only goes so far in the NFL.  Grown men aren't cool with money signs or crotch grabs.

4) the shorter, wide open offense in a crappy defensive big 12 is an extremely valid one. I hated Manziel because I felt he was the product of a system.  Oklahoma has a very qb friendly system like A & M had and Baylor and most of those guys struggle to translate to the NFL. 

17 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think Rosen is the better pro prospect but that's just my opinion.  

7 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

If he gets a 1st round grade from the NFL draft committee, which I think he would, it would be a terrible decision.  Too much can happen in a year in college to affect your draft stock.  Staying in school to maximize your draft position and try to go #1 overall made sense before the rookie cap, but the $$ gained by doing it now is not worth the risk of injury or having a down year.

Agreed. The longer he stays in school, the more flaws will be picked apart.  It has already happened to him this year with the turnovers

• Like (+1) 1