TRADE: Kelvin Benjamin to Buffalo

Rubes

I'm reminded of Tom Brady's first few years -- he also played very conservatively, people said he was a system QB, it wasn't until Brady got some legit receivers that he really started to open up. Obviously I'm not saying Tyrod is going to be the next Brady, but I am saying that Tyrod has been developing in his 3 years here, and he has shown playmaking ability. Even Tyrod's worst games aren't full of errors, interceptions, fumbles.

I'm sorry but I have to call serious BS on this.

In Brady's first season as starter (2001), he finished 24th in passing yards per game (Taylor finished 29th in his first season as starter).

Just one season later (2002), Brady was 7th in the NFL in passing yards per game. Throwing to dime-a-dozen receivers like Troy Brown, David Patten and Deion Branch.

In Taylor's second season, he finished 27th in passing yards per game.

In Brady's third season as starter (2003), he was 9th in the league in passing yards per game. So far this season, in Taylor's third season as starter, he is 29th in passing yards per game (Bills are 31st as a team).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, it's weird... it's almost like these strongly willed professional athletes are capable of improvement. Didn't they hear? The fans decided they suck. Kinda rude of them to stop doing that, the sucking.

Yup. A lot of times in NFL huddles the QB will say "Who doesn't suck yet? Let's have a show of hands." So he knows who he can throw to.

I do not think we have really seen enough from Matthews whilst in Buffalo to have a fair opinion. Lets keep in mind when his injury occurred and how he played through that. I imagine that sternum is lingering all season.

I see why you consider him gone theoretically for sure.

and yes speed must be available. Deonte is not that guy for you ?

Don't know but I'd like to see that kind of speed on the field on the opposite side of Benjamin..........and that's not what the Bills are indicating is in the plans.

If a safety has to choose between cheating toward the speed guy deep or closing on Benjamin in that deep intermediate........that opens up the short stuff and run game.

In Brady's first season as starter (2001), he finished 24th in passing yards per game (Taylor finished 29th in his first season as starter).

Just one season later (2002), Brady was 7th in the NFL in passing yards per game. Throwing to dime-a-dozen receivers like Troy Brown, David Patten and Deion Branch.

In Brady's third season as starter (2003), he was 9th in the league in passing yards per game. So far this season, in Taylor's third season as starter, he is 29th in passing yards per game (Bills are 31st as a team).

Except that the Pats had always been a passing team for many years before he started and his first year he just couldn't pass. Then they went back to being a passing team. The Bills were a running team before TT started and have always been a running team since.

Except that the Pats had always been a passing team for many years before he started and his first year he just couldn't pass. Then they went back to being a passing team. The Bills were a running team before TT started and have always been a running team since.

13th in pass attempts and 20th in rush attempts in 2014.

It was only Belichick's and Weis' second season with the Patriots when Brady took over. The previous season, Bledsoe was just 17th in passing yards per game. Compared to 6th in 1999 under Pete Carroll. In other words, your statement carries no weight.

The Bills were a running team by necessity for years, including after Taylor took over the job. The bottom line is that If Taylor was capable of being an average NFL passer then the Bills wouldn't be at or near the bottom of the league in passing production.

It was only Belichick's and Weis' second season with the Patriots when Brady took over. The previous season, Bledsoe was just 17th in passing yards per game. Compared to 6th in 1999 under Pete Carroll. In other words, your statement carries no weight.

The Bills were a running team by necessity for years, including after Taylor took over the job. The bottom line is that If Taylor was capable of being an average NFL passer then the Bills wouldn't be at or near the bottom of the league in passing production.

So you're saying that with Drew Bledsoe as the QB in 1999 they were a passing team but in 2000 when he threw 8 less passes and had 7 more completions they were not? And they were not in the years before that?

It took them over five years or so but the Bills finally got the wide receiver Buddy Nix was looking for ... one “who is open when he’s not open” (and this one actually has the potential to be a good one if he can stay healthy and has the drive to be successful (something the guy we just traded didn’t seem to have!).

***excuse me if I’m repeating anyone but I didn’t have time to read 57 pages!

Well, for the first year, Brady being 24th in passing yards and Tyrod being 29th is pretty similar. That seems to support the original comparison.

2002 was Brady's worst season (edit: in terms of QBR). That was the year after their first SB and they went 9-7 and missed the playoffs, and we went 8-8, kinda looking like we might've won the Bledsoe trade. Brady threw 14 picks and I can definitely remember fans at the time thinking that Bledsoe would be on the Bills long after the Pats realized Brady wouldn't be able to hang.

Edited by LA Grant

So you're saying that with Drew Bledsoe as the QB in 1999 they were a passing team but in 2000 when he threw 8 less passes and had 7 more completions they were not? And they were not in the years before that?

I'm saying what I said. Bledsoe went from 6th in passing yards per game under Carroll to 17th in 2000 under Belichick/Weis. Your claim that Brady only threw a lot because "the Pats were always a passing team" is silly.

If a quarterback is good enough to pass a lot, his team will pass a lot.

If a quarterback isn't good enough to pass a lot, his team will not pass a lot.

Well, for the first year, Brady being 24th in passing yards and Tyrod being 29th is pretty similar. That seems to support the original comparison.

2002 was Brady's worst season (edit: in terms of QBR). That was the year after their first SB and they went 9-7 and missed the playoffs, and we went 8-8, kinda looking like we might've won the Bledsoe trade. Brady threw 14 picks and I can definitely remember fans at the time thinking that Bledsoe would be on the Bills long after the Pats realized Brady wouldn't be able to hang.

giphy.gif

I'm saying what I said. Bledsoe went from 6th in passing yards per game under Carroll to 17th in 2000 under Belichick/Weis. Your claim that Brady only threw a lot because "the Pats were always a passing team" is silly.

If a quarterback is good enough to pass a lot, his team will pass a lot.

If a quarterback isn't good enough to pass a lot, his team will not pass a lot.

They threw the same amount of passes in Carrolls last year and Belichick's first. And they always threw a lot with Bledsoe. And they wanted to throw a lot and they gave Bledsoe a 100m contract. And as soon as he went down and Brady was capable of throwing a lot they threw a lot. The Bills on the other hand were a running team out of necessity because they hired Marrone and Rex Ryan, the only two guys in the league that still wanted to be a three yards and a cloud of dust team.

They threw the same amount of passes in Carrolls last year and Belichick's first. And they always threw a lot with Bledsoe. And they wanted to throw a lot and they gave Bledsoe a 100m contract. And as soon as he went down and Brady was capable of throwing a lot they threw a lot. The Bills on the other hand were a running team out of necessity because they hired Marrone and Rex Ryan, the only two guys in the league that still wanted to be a three yards and a cloud of dust team.

They just hired Dennison and installed the Shanahan system, and yet they're still near the bottom (31st) in pass attempts. They were 17th with Trevor Siemian throwing the ball last season.

Stop denying and just face the truth.

They just hired Dennison and installed the Shanahan system, and yet they're still near the bottom (31st) in pass attempts. They were 17th with Trevor Siemian throwing the ball last season.Stop denying and just face the truth.

So you think that Dennison used the exact same offense with Trevor Siemien and Joe Flacco and Tyrod Taylor? I don't know about you, but I can't tell the difference between any of them. All exactly the same.

They just hired Dennison and installed the Shanahan system, and yet they're still near the bottom (31st) in pass attempts. They were 17th with Trevor Siemian throwing the ball last season.

Stop denying and just face the truth.

We're averaging 5 pass attempts in the 4th quarter per game. You don't think that has anything to do with us getting a lead and then running the clock out?

You don't think Dennison came here and saw our WRs compared to Thomas and Sanders and saw a downgrade, but saw Shady and our OL compared to Denver's and saw an upgrade?

His assessment of Taylor isn't necessarily wrong.

I mean it is... Kelvin Benjamin does apply for being clutch here. I can recall a dropped pass against Carolina that would most likely have won the game.... And Tyrod threw it! So if that was Benjamin he most likely would have come up clutch on a pass from Tyrod and we would only have one loss on the year

I mean it is... Kelvin Benjamin does apply for being clutch here. I can recall a dropped pass against Carolina that would most likely have won the game.... And Tyrod threw it! So if that was Benjamin he most likely would have come up clutch on a pass from Tyrod and we would only have one loss on the year

he's talking about how Taylor doesn't throw into tight coverage and KB not a separation guy.

Not sure what your point is about the Carolina play?

he's talking about how Taylor doesn't throw into tight coverage and KB not a separation guy.

Not sure what your point is about the Carolina play?

Because he is implying that Tyrod can't make throws in clutch situations. He kind retracted from that on his 2nd tweet. But his 2nd tweet makes zero sense... Kelvin is better at the end of games because that's were he gets the most space. Teams don't play man to man so there will not be tight coverage... They play zone. So no idea why he is saying that Benjamin can't make plays in clutch situations because Tyrod doesn't throw into tight coverage... There shouldn't be tight coverage in those situations. If they are then that would just open up the deep ball which would be an epic mistake by the defense.

We're averaging 5 pass attempts in the 4th quarter per game. You don't think that has anything to do with us getting a lead and then running the clock out?

You don't think Dennison came here and saw our WRs compared to Thomas and Sanders and saw a downgrade, but saw Shady and our OL compared to Denver's and saw an upgrade?

Where'd you get that stat?

So you think that Dennison used the exact same offense with Trevor Siemien and Joe Flacco and Tyrod Taylor? I don't know about you, but I can't tell the difference between any of them. All exactly the same.

It's the same system, but obviously he doesn't think much of Taylor as a passer when he has Siemian throwing it much more than Taylor.

It's the same system, but obviously he doesn't think much of Taylor as a passer when he has Siemian throwing it much more than Taylor.

Well, obviously, there are no other variables that could possibly go into how he designs his plays within the system, other than he doesn't think much of Taylor as a passer...

Obviously....

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Panthers WR Kelvin Benjamin traded to Buffalo, source tells ESPN.

MODS: feel free to merge...

Is it just me, or is Cam Newton melting down a bit over this?

Edit: when your team is struggling, and the Brass trades away your top target, I can't exactly blame him

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Because he is implying that Tyrod can't make throws in clutch situations. He kind retracted from that on his 2nd tweet. But his 2nd tweet makes zero sense... Kelvin is better at the end of games because that's were he gets the most space. Teams don't play man to man so there will not be tight coverage... They play zone. So no idea why he is saying that Benjamin can't make plays in clutch situations because Tyrod doesn't throw into tight coverage... There shouldn't be tight coverage in those situations. If they are then that would just open up the deep ball which would be an epic mistake by the defense.

I guess that's fair. I took it as Tyrod isn't a tight window thrower unless he is forced to be and shouldn't expect KB to see the ball much while in man coverage because he's not a separator, which is why I agreed with the assessment.

Thanks.

I wonder where that ranks in the NFL.

idk on overall rank, but I looked at a smattering

Derek Carr: 51/81 - 11.57 per game, 33.75% of his attempts this year have come in the 4th Quarter

Russell Wilson: 47/69 - 9.86 per game, 26.74% of his attempts this year have come in the 4th Quarter

Matt Ryan: 43/67 - 9.57 per game, 28.88% of his attempts this year have come in the 4th Quarter

Trevor Siemian: 42/65 - 9.29 per game, 26.32% of his attempts this year have come in the 4th Quarter

Deshaun Watson: 33/58 - 8.29 per game, 28.43% of his attempts this year have come in the 4th Quarter

Alex Smith: 39/66 - 8.25 per game, 25.48% of his attempts this year have come in the 4th Quarter

Carson Wentz: 37/61 - 7.63 per game, 23.11% of his attempts this year have come in the 4th Quarter

Jared Goff: 22/45 - 6.43 per game, 20.18% of his attempts this year have come in the 4th Quarter

Tyrod Taylor: 27/37 - 5.29 per game, 18.88% of his attempts this year have come in the 4th Quarter

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Panthers WR Kelvin Benjamin traded to Buffalo, source tells ESPN.

MODS: feel free to merge...

I will say this. The Panthers have had their ups and downs. The scuttlebut on Marty Hurney has been that he mis-managed the Panthers cap the first time through.

If the Panthers passing game is similar or better with Benjamin gone, OK. But if it falls off big time - he will most definitely be second-guessed.