TRADE: Kelvin Benjamin to Buffalo

Rubes

Ok here's the deal. His production is less than his rookie year. He is on his 5th year next year, cap at ~8.5M or so. Carolina has ZERO cap room. They drafted a guy this year who's just like Kelvin Benjamin BUT is actually better, and cheaper.

KB also has issues - speed, undisciplined route runner. Doesn't work on his craft in off-season.

but he's a big guy, 6'5" sure handed receiver. Basically a tight end in WR position. I think Tyrod likes those.

yup. there is a downside, but an upside too.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok here's the deal. His production is less than his rookie year. He is on his 5th year next year, cap at ~8.5M or so. Carolina has ZERO cap room. They drafted a guy this year who's just like Kelvin Benjamin BUT is actually better, and cheaper.

KB also has issues - speed, undisciplined route runner. Doesn't work on his craft in off-season.

but he's a big guy, 6'5" sure handed receiver. Basically a tight end in WR position. I think Tyrod likes those.

great man, thanks!

About trading Watkins and trading for Benjamin -- There are some secondary considerations that make this a win.

1. We got a second and a good player for Watkins, and gave up a third and a seventh for Benjamin. Win.

2. Watkins is in the last year of his rookie contract and was not going to re-sign in Buffalo. He'll be a FA after this year (and probably a Patriot next year). Benjamin's option year is picked up so we keep him next year too. Win.

3. Watkins was not a good influence in the locker room. Beane and McDermott know Benjamin and they wouldn't be bringing him in if they didn't think he'd be part of the process. Presumed win.

4. Watkins little, Benjamin big. Probable win.

5. I don't know if it's possible to have too many draft picks in one year, but the Bills might have found out. They had too many in 2018, to be able to absorb so many rookies into a tight knit veteran team. Look for the Bills to package more picks to move up on remaining picks.

Edited by Utah John

you know, I see you doing a lot of judging on this board, a lot. so just a question for you. what do you consider yourself? I could judge you based on your posts but that would not really be a fair way to fully judge and I don't know you so I have to ask from your own perspective.

you may not feel the need to give an answer, may not care and may even judge me for asking but since you seem to judge, a lot, you must be a good judge of character, no?

as for this trade. I really don't follow carolina much at all so anyone else have some insight on the kid besides being a chump and lazy?

i stopped reading after you started to sound stupid.

Of course i judge. It's a god damn football message board.

I am kind of a little bit smart in the football. And I know the Panthers well. Soooo, I don't know what else you said because I like my IQ north of 130... But seriously. Relax. Don't do it. When ya wanna come.

Oh. And judge me all ya want. Just know I'm an idiot and you're dancing for me..

Edited by Boyst62

Panthers general manager Marty Hurney told ESPN.com that Buffalo reached out to him. He said the trade made sense because it gives Carolina a chance to be more diversified on offense in terms of getting more speed receivers -- Russell Shepard, Curtis Samuel and Kaelin Clay -- on the field. He said Devin Funchess would step into Benjamin's role as the No. 1 receiver.

They claimed K Clay back off waivers?

And want to get him on the field?

Bean got Thompson after watching K Clay fail as a deep threat.

Every party needs a pooper. Thanks for taking one for the team. :thumbsup:

Of course you do. You know football, how could you not? Still stunned they pulled this off.

every off season you read about his laziness in Carolina.

My concern was wondering if it's Newton they're appeasing with this or Benjamin wasn't that good.

Disirregardless, we have a valuable opportunity with him. I need to let it sink in. Just concerned with how much we gave up...

No there's another guy who is 6'5". Sorry he wasn't drafted this year. Devin Funchess. Tall big WR. KB clone.

Funchess struggled his first couple of years, but he took a big step forward this year, and yes, very similar to Benjamin. Benjamin can be a very good receiver if he's motivated. Not a burner but big and comes down with the contested ball. Sort of like Keyshawn Johnson.