Hughes doesn't get why Jim Kelly is on the field in 2017

YoloinOhio

Jim Kelly lined up with the bills and decided to do something completely different than what everyone else was doing. By putting his hand over his heart and raising the Bills hat is him basically trying to speak for the entire bills team. It's wrong.

I guess you could say it was courageous for him to stand up for what he believes in regardless of opinion against him, like Kaepernick?

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you could say it was courageous for him to stand up for what he believes in regardless of opinion against him, like Kaepernick?

No question. But he's a private citizen now, in my opinion, not a Buffalo Bill.

Stepping on the active team the way he did was a mistake...

I find this kinda funny because I grew up in a small town and everyone revered the guy from decades ago because of what he did when he was in his prime. 20+ years later they still do because that's what they remember.

I get it. Kelly was a spectacle of buffalo sports for a long time and nothing has come to replace him yet. He's still held in high regard because of his professional accomplishments and personal experiences but he's not the face of the franchise and really doesn't have a place to speak about what the team decides to do as a team when he is no longer one of the leaders of that team.

I think you mean twat.

semantics

Hughes made a great statement, except for questioning why Jimbo is out on the field. That is not his business, it was divisive, the rest is very acknowledging and respectful.

All this should have been done behind closed doors. I think because Jim did not, it motivated Jerry to go public.

I did not see the game. If LeSean was stretching while the anthem was playing that crosses my line for being disrespectful. I think the kneeling makes a statement but is respectful because they at least assume a still position and focus that respectfully acknowledges the anthem.

Stretching, doing other things and ignoring the anthem, not respectful.

Interesting to see what the NFL does moving forward. Last thing they ever want is to lose customers with things like this. Honestly, I feel they should fine LeSean for the stretching.

Shady was directly in front of me for the anthem - He stretched almost non stop, what you might call vigorous stretching - almost like he was making his own separate point although only Shady knows what that point was. He did kneel as the anthem was ending.

Gonna 100% agree with Hughes on this one. Kelly has always seemed like a giant DB anyway.

stand up ?

Shady was directly in front of me for the anthem - He stretched almost non stop, what you might call vigorous stretching - almost like he was making his own separate point although only Shady knows what that point was. He did kneel as the anthem was ending.

did you hear the name calling that started?

Towards McCoy?

got i bit weird i heard from friends

Love Jim Kelly, and this isn't going to change that...but Hughes is "spot on" as they say. Personally, I love the obligatory shot of the old-timers on the side-line (I'm an old-timer), but if it disrupts current team chemistry, I wish they stay out of it. Jim had his time, its a young mans game, and its' a young mans' world...let them speak.

Ps he loathes Trump, he already said so.

The protest was against Donald.

Most of the league responded to the Donald in some form.

Even Kelly.

I do not know One person who hates this Country or would degrade a Veteran. Or the Flag. Or our Members of the Military who serve and have served.

And thought i knew a pretty good cross section of Folks.

Love Jim Kelly, and this isn't going to change that...but Hughes is "spot on" as they say. Personally, I love the obligatory shot of the old-timers on the side-line (I'm an old-timer), but if it disrupts current team chemistry, I wish they stay out of it. Jim had his time, its a young mans game, and its' a young mans' world...let them speak.

Now that is Wisdom.

From and Olde Timer who has learned what life will teach you :beer:

stand up ?

did you hear the name calling that started?

Towards McCoy?

got i bit weird i heard from friends

There was a lot of yelling and booing going on and I couldn't make out much over the boos. There were also a lot of people standing quietly like a regular anthem. The players are divided, the fans are divided.

I have an old tractor that's been with me for years. Thousands of hours, miles of fields and acres, been through it all. Love that thing. Still starts up first time every time.

Issue is, I also have a bunch of new ones that I actually use. When maintenance or repair time comes around, they get the oil and grease first. The old one stays in the barn and maybe hauls a trailer around once a month. You gotta know your role in the operation.

I think the team wants to move past the 90s stars being the face of the franchise

I want this as well.

Great memories, but the nostalgia well has run dry.

Respect what they accomplished but enough with these guys in the present already.

This will not end well for Jerry Hughes as far as I'm concerned he is dead to me. Jim Kelly is Bills royalty my guess is this will become a huge mess rather quickly. Hughes needs to STFU and go back to the colts. Any bills player not standing with there hand over there heart when the anthem is being played is a coward and a puss. You don't deserve to be wearing a Bills uniform. When is is alright to piss off 70 percent of your customer base. Keep these f-players in the locker room they don't deserve to even have a chance to look at the American flag. I'm ashamed to be a Bills fan today. Just play football and you can protest on your own time.

Edited by Thurmanator 12074

I hate how this may turn out. Kelly will be asked to step away for believing just as much in his ways as those protesting believe. All because the monkey president cant STFU. Everyone fell for the BS Narcissism. Hughes pulled the same crap going public with comments. I'm disappointed in both of them really. Whenever politics/religion are involved, nobody is right and only feelings get hurt

This will not end well for Jerry Hughes as far as I'm concerned he is dead to me. Jim Kelly is Bills royalty my guess is this will become a huge mess rather quickly. Hughes needs to STFU and go back to to the colts. Any bills player not standing with there hand over there heart is a coward and a puss. You don't deserve to be wearing a Bills uniform.

So every player that was on the field on Sunday.

Or your sarcasm is just that good.

There was a lot of yelling and booing going on and I couldn't make out much over the boos. There were also a lot of people standing quietly like a regular anthem. The players are divided, the fans are divided.

there was some derogatory nastiness towards LeSean while stretching. leave it at that

What time? I got "alcohol consumption and why it's for me" at 9.

surprised we haven't met

You're an idiot.

Oh, sorry...thought this was abuse.

Just what the Russians want.

we all agree we can hate Commies still. wait, right ? Better dead than Red !

Best way to bring people together is to exclude those with a different view.

It’s as simple as this honestly. Hughes and the team have decided how they are going to play this and they don’t want anyone else with a different point of view with them on the sidelines. Right or wrong, that’s clearly what he’s saying.

I hate how this may turn out. Kelly will be asked to step away for believing just as much in his ways as those protesting believe. All because the monkey president cant STFU. Everyone fell for the BS Narcissism. Hughes pulled the same crap going public with comments. I'm disappointed in both of them really. Whenever politics/religion are involved, nobody is right and only feelings get hurt

I think they are both wrong for what they said/did. If Jim didn't believe it it, why stand up there with a hand over heart and hand in the air. Kind of taking both sides. Hughes likely overstepped but I get his feeling. Love Jim, but he's not the team anymore. He's a part of the past that we have hung onto for far too long.

Listening to Hughes interview right now. He's very thoughtful and well spoken. His point was more that the team came together with the owners and made a decision on how to approach the anthem. Kelly wasn't there for the meeting, but then he was on the sideline. He yelled at players, reportedly, for how they approached th anthem. Then he went on radio and called out one specifically. Sure Hughes could have voiced his thoughts privately, but Kelly could have as well. Hughes feels the team should be focused on what the team is doing and not having to deal with the drama Kelly is stirring up on the side. If he had something to say about their decision on how to approach the anthem he should have done it privately and not as they were getting ready to take the field. Not his place. Yes one is a legend and one is a current player. Doesn't make one more right than the other on this imo.

My interpretation.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Sucks that it coming down to this.

Trump is still pissed about his rebukes by the NFL and wants to tear us apart.

Dotard

Any person kneeling or stretching not honoring our flag. Yes there dead to me, most players were standing. It's pretty simple keep these idiots in the locker room during the national anthem. They are there to play football not to protest.

So every player that was on the field on Sunday.

Or your sarcasm is just that good.

Edited by Thurmanator 12074

Fwiw McD was asked in his press conference today if Kelly would be "less present" around the current team going forward (im paraphrasing). It seemed to me just from listening on radio that he hadn't given it much thought until then. He kind of hesitated but in the end he said no, nothing would change.

I agree with Hughes 100% on this one.

The players, coaches and owners met to talk over the issue and became united. Perhaps they weren't united in if/why/how they should protest or not, but they were united as a team in respecting each others opinion.

Then you have Jimbo come in and directly undermine the show of unity. What a jerk.

Jim Kelly lined up with the bills and decided to do something completely different than what everyone else was doing. By putting his hand over his heart and raising the Bills hat is him basically trying to speak for the entire bills team. It's wrong.

"Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly raised his left fist. After the anthem finished, Kelly sought out Dareus, who is inactive for today's game, and had a brief conversation that ended with a hug."

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2017/09/24/Sunday-showdown-Every-NFL-player-owner-reactions-to-Donald-Trump-from-early-games/7981506280743/

Doesn't sound too divisive.

Listening to Hughes interview right now. He's very thoughtful and well spoken. His point was more that the team came together with the owners and made a decision on how to approach the anthem. Kelly wasn't there for the meeting, but then he was on the sideline. He yelled at players, reportedly, for how they approached th anthem. Then he went on radio and called out one specifically. Sure Hughes could have voiced his thoughts privately, but Kelly could have as well. Hughes feels the team should be focused on what the team is doing and not having to deal with the drama Kelly is stirring up on the side. If he had something to say about their decision on how to approach the anthem he should have done it privately and not as they were getting ready to take the field. Not his place. Yes one is a legend and one is a current player. Doesn't make one more right than the other on this imo.

My interpretation.

To play another facet of the coin.

Is what jerry said, being a Team Leader of sorts? Right Or Wrong?

He was representing the Team in his comment. Or he thought he was at least, is my take.

Hope everyone can patch this up

Fwiw McD was asked in his press conference today if Kelly would be "less present" around the current team going forward (im paraphrasing). It seemed to me just from listening on radio that he hadn't given it much thought until then. He kind of hesitated but in the end he said no, nothing would change.

Never forget that Jim Kelly scored a 15 on the wonderlic (as a QB). He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Jim Kelly should not be both on the sideline and openly critical of players on the current team in public.

If he wants to criticize the players, he should be on the radio or some such.

Loved Jim Kelly when he was a latter day Bobby Layne in manner and he was hitting Reed on crossing patterns. Not so much now.

Edited by billsintaiwan