Why Don't The Bills Run Reverses or Counter Plays

Seems to me we need something to open up the offense and stop teams from swarming our running plays. Maybe a reverse or a few counters would help. Also, how about a trick play once or twice a game to keep teams honest if nothing else. McCoy seems to have 10 guys coming at him every time he carries the ball. God forbid we throw the ball deep on a fly route once a half.

Good point. I think Tate could be a decent player for misdirection sweeps and reverses. Many offenses run theses types of plays, especially when you have a mobile QB. Even the threat of a jet sweep may hold defenders for a split second giving Mccoy a little more space. There is nothing innovative and the offense being run seems to be like one a team would operate in the preseason.

I'm not sure about trying a reverse. Smells like a 15 yard loss.

Sometimes it's the threat, have the guy in motion going the opposite direction... if nobody moves with him u don't hand it off. He can be the pitch on an option too if you add zone read. Can add a shovel pass too... gets the defense moving horizontally away from your run play.

Edited by dneveu

Seems to me we need something to open up the offense and stop teams from swarming our running plays. Maybe a reverse or a few counters would help. Also, how about a trick play once or twice a game to keep teams honest if nothing else. McCoy seems to have 10 guys coming at him every time he carries the ball. God forbid we throw the ball deep on a fly route once a half.

The right side of our O line is not very mobile or athletic...that doesn't help.

Let me know when Tyreek Hill is on the team.

I think our punt returner Clay can be that type of player but this isn't an Andy Reid offense and they won't be that innovative. Also what is the likelihood Clay will fumble the ball when the game is on the line....

How about a reverse flea flicker?

Like 1 every series until they stop it. Or even on back to back plays - they'll never expect that.

:lol::lol::lol:

Or try this play:

http://youtu.be/VGdsHyBd56g

Roberts Woods isn't on the team anymore... Also did anybody get sad about the Rams offense (or should we say Buffalo west) yesterday with Woods and Watkins.

I think our punt returner Clay can be that type of player but this isn't an Andy Reid offense and they won't be that innovative. Also what is the likelihood Clay will fumble the ball when the game is on the line....

Roberts Woods isn't on the team anymore... Also did anybody get sad about the Rams offense (or should we say Buffalo west) yesterday with Woods and Watkins.

Obviously you haven't looked through the list of threads on the main forum page yet today. :lol:

Kaelin Clay huh? Man the Bills suck at the so called skill positions beyond Shady McCoy.

That would require creative offensive coaching and solid QB play which we obviously don't have.

Yes, based on all the big plays he has generated in years 1 & 2, he's certainly got Tyreek Hill abilities.

Not having a viable RB2 on this offense really blows. Gillislee would be really useful right about now. Yes Sammy hurts too but he wasn't even around half the time.

Again, they are fixing one side of the ball that was a problem (Defense)...and blew up the O. We can never have two solid units during the same season. Argh!!

Because defenses stack the line of scrimmage, you can't run slow developing plays when. The D is right there. The same reason nobody runs them in goaline situations

Add to that the fact that they don't have the speed man needed for those kind of plays to work

This offense needs to be in the shotgun spread the majority of the time. Period. End of story.

1. It helps negate defensive speed bc the defense is spread out creating more field to cover.

2. Our WR excel at route running (if they excel at anything at all). The spread allows them to catch shorter passes in space.

3. Having a mobile QB in the spread offense is an added threat because the defense has to account for the QB taking off and the QB has more space to run bc the box isnt going to be stacked with 8-9 bodies.

4. Shady can be used as a weapon in the passing game as well. Having LB's trying to cover Shady in the open field and account for Tyrod running. Good luck.

How about a reverse flea flicker?

Like 1 every series until they stop it. Or even on back to back plays - they'll never expect that.

:lol::lol::lol:

On ESPNU tonight they had a high school game on. Bothell WA vs a team from CO.

On Bothells first play, they ran a double reverse flea flicker and completed a pass for 30 yards.

I liked the idea someone said about screen passes. I wish Coach Dennison would go back and study and implement some of those Chan Gailey screens.

Edited by reddogblitz