Most alarming is McDermott

I couldn't disagree with this thread any more than I do.

McDermott was not even on my list of alarming things about this game.

He has this defense playing very well already, and he doesn't have all that much talent at some key positions.

I have been very encouraged by McDermott so far.

The offense was by far the most alarming thing today.

This is a terrible thread, IMO. For three reasons:

1) we didn't lose because of clock management; it played actually no role whatsoever in the outcome of the game and so I don't get why this is a complaint.

2) in hindsight, the clock was actually managed correctly. If Zay catches that ball, we call TO and then easily have 3

Shots at the end zone while giving the panthers no chance to get the ball back.

3) if you can't appreciate how well coached the D was out there today and on the road, you are missing what coaching is all about. The game management stuff comes with experience; the fundamental coaching doesn't.

Good,post. Agree for the most part.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) we didn't lose because of clock management; it played actually no role whatsoever in the outcome of the game and so I don't get why this is a complaint.

2) in hindsight, the clock was actually managed correctly. If Zay catches that ball, we call TO and then easily have 3

3) if you can't appreciate how well coached the D was out there today and on the road, you are missing what coaching is all about. The game management stuff comes with experience; the fundamental coaching doesn't.

I agree. zero offense is the only issue.

I couldn't disagree with this thread any more than I do.

McDermott was not even on my list of alarming things about this game.

He has this defense playing very well already, and he doesn't have all that much talent at some key positions.

I have been very encouraged by McDermott so far.

The offense was by far the most alarming thing today.

Good,post. Agree for the most part.

I'm 100% with you, other than not calling a timeout sooner at the end he had this team ready to play and to play hard. This loss is on the OC and Tyrod as simple as that.

Wait... This is hilarious. By your logic, there would never be new coaches. We'd need to resurrect Vince Lombardi and that guy who used the word "matriculating."

It took Lombardi several years of coaching before he won Super Bowl I. He clearly was terrible.

Coaches look so much better at game management when their QB's are better, just saying...

If Tyrod throws a better ball there, Bills win by one point and there is no time left for the Panthers to do anything.

Edited by T-Bomb

The TO's are less of an issue than Tyrod scrambling, getting nowhere, and using up clock instead of throwing the ball away.

i was absolutely SCREAMING this in my house! this was the breaking point. even if he is worse, i am ready for peterman. just run the offense. tyrod is best at scrambling and launching down field. peterman makes the quick decision. put in the rook.

We knew/know this is what Tyrod is. We knew this wasn't going to be a good offense.

But I think we were hoping we finally had a coach that could manage the game properly. Clock management by McDermott was absolutely embarrassing. And I don't want to hear about how he's a rookie head coach, he's been around this game. He himself said he's been preparing for this for a long time.

It's a tough reality to face that we have yet another head coach who has no idea how to manage the game.

Getting high picks; Trust The Process.

i was absolutely SCREAMING this in my house! this was the breaking point. even if he is worse, i am ready for peterman. just run the offense. tyrod is best at scrambling and launching down field. peterman makes the quick decision. put in the rook.

So when Peterman doesn't put up 400 yards and 6 TDs in his first game, who do you want in for week 4?

2nd game ever as a head coach. 1st game on the road. Classic Bills fans overreacting. I actually blame Tyrod more for poor clock management at the end of the game. He needs to throw the ball away. McDermott was actually SMART to save the 2 timeouts. If Zay catches the ball it wouldn't be a TD, we would have needed a TO to have 2 shots at the end zone with about 9 seconds left on the clock. McDermott didn't do anything wrong in this game.

So when Peterman doesn't put up 400 yards and 6 TDs in his first game, who do you want in for week 4?

peterman. i just think he is closer to what they want as a qb. quick, decisive throws. if he succeeds, then it is found money. if not, then we continue the process and get our guy next year while grinding out this season.

We knew/know this is what Tyrod is. We knew this wasn't going to be a good offense.

But I think we were hoping we finally had a coach that could manage the game properly. Clock management by McDermott was absolutely embarrassing. And I don't want to hear about how he's a rookie head coach, he's been around this game. He himself said he's been preparing for this for a long time.

It's a tough reality to face that we have yet another head coach who has no idea how to manage the game.

Nevermind the poor game management concerns...

Management and coaching know what Tyrod is better than you and I do! He's terrible!

And they are OK with him as our starter this year and they even doubled down by getting rid of Watkins.

We're in a tank year more than I at first realized.

Agreed. I am extremely encouraged by McDermott so far. This team looks organized, plays really hard, and does not beat itself with mistakes. And that was a great performance by the defense.

I was a little disappointed by the hire at first, didn't see anything special on his resume. But I've come around, I think the Pegula's really got it right this time. Former DC comes in and the defense turns it around immediately. Players are playing with heart.

Yes, the HC that kept Carolina to 3 points (and no TDs) is ALARMING!

Time management was an issue, but he'll learn. And comparing the emotions of a real game to Madden is just silly, IMO.

Can't wait to see where this thread goes... o_O

He will learn???? You don't pay him the big money to learn. You pay him to do. If he can't do it he should have Dennison managing the game.

Exactly!

McDermott coached his butt off and our team played great. Can't believe people are shocked we couldn't move the ball against that D in their house. We are a work in progress, but full of promise.

Maybe most of the posters here are instant gratification millennials.

They should be proud the Bills got their participation trophy today and stop whining.

McDermott coached his butt off and our team played great. Can't believe people are shocked we couldn't move the ball against that D in their house. We are a work in progress, but full of promise.

We're the 2nd oldest team in the league. We shouldn't be a work in progress. Clock management isn't the only worrisome thing about the new coach or GM.

I see only Jones gets a pass today for being a rookie? i know Jones is brand new to football........

If they make that play to Zay, they still have a TO and chances to score. This was not the worst time management we've seen and doesn't raise any red flags for me, yet.

I don't know what the most concerning thing is, actually...

Maybe that makes it time management by default...

They lost about 15 secs in not calling timeout after one play (Tyrod scramble?). If there was more time on the clock, they wouldn't have had to go for broke on the last play instead of just getting a first down.

The clock management to end the 1st half was also puzzling. They let time run off, then called a timeout after 2nd down, then called another after 3rd down to force Carolina to punt to get the ball back. Then they call a run to run out the clock? Why did they bother? Did McD just want to use up his 1st half timeouts? Were they just trying to block the punt, which they had come close to a couple of times?

So, critiques of games must be confined to only those things that actually "lost" the game for us? Bullschit. McD made two glaring clock management mistakes and looked confused doing so and that's an important thing to look at moving forward. It's just too important an aspect of the game to not hold him accountable for.

This was a piss poor display by the coaching staff. Reminds me of the Rex days as far as clock management goes. The team did play some disciplined football today though and the defense was lights out. Hopefully they can correct the easy things.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

He was smart enough to have time outs available with 2 min. left, but dumb enough to not know when to use them. With 43 seconds he should have used that 1st time out and didn't? What if Zay makes that circus catch from the crap TT throw. We have only time for 1 play. For some reason I felt Sean McDermott would be a better time management head coach but apparently he's got a ways to go.