Anyone else tired of hearing "it was just the Jets..."?

TheFunPolice

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going in they were assumed to have a good run game. McCown made some nice throws under pressure. And all I heard before the game was how good their front 4 was. Then we beat them and now they suck.

No, they sucked going in. Not sure where you read anywhere except maybe the Jets equivalent of TBD, or some ex coaches ballwashing blog, that the Jets were anything other than bad.

They are not good, nor does their FO want them to be this season it seems.

If the Bills go to Carolina and win this Sunday and people are still saying "it's only the Jets and Panthers", then yeah, the whambulance is warranted. Not now, however.

No, they sucked going in. Not sure where you read anywhere except maybe the Jets equivalent of TBD, or some ex coaches ballwashing blog, that the Jets were anything other than bad.

They are not good, nor does their FO want them to be this season it seems.

If the Bills go to Carolina and win this Sunday and people are still saying "it's only the Jets and Panthers", then yeah, the whambulance is warranted. Not now, however.

Just go back and read the Jets pregame thread. How many people were warning us not to take the Jets lightly? How many predicted an outright Jets win?

A good run game? Please find some evidence of that. I'd like to know who thinks Powell and AARP Forte are going to produce behind that oline and 8 guys in the box. They are horrible, their cast of WR's makes Zay and Matthews look like Taylor and Rice.

Again, read the Jets Pregame thread. I also recall seeing a fantasy prediction site that said Powell would score 13 fantasy point and Shady would get just 12. So someone thought the Jets run game had some juice.

Funny how this all evolved.

Before the season this year Bills fans "Bills are going to suck -they are tanking - won't win 4 games - Jets are going to kill us"

Leading up to game Bills fans - "game is a toss up - anything can happen"

Point spread announced - Bills fans "I can't believe they are giving the Jets 9 points. Take the Jets with the spread all day - they will beat us straight up"

Actual game happens - Bills easily beat the Jets - then Bills fans "it was just the Jets - they are the worst team in the NFL"

:lol::lol::lol:

I've been on this site, and its predecessor, since 1998. Same as it ever was. And if you watched some other games, the Jets were not even close to being the worst team in week 1.

Even that stooge Jets fan was trolling the board because the Bills "suck at sucking"

No one thought the Bills were going to lose more games than the Jets this year.

Hate to tell you Jimmy Spags is an act. A good, hilarious one, but an act.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Nope. If they beat the Panthers, then you can be tired of it and it'll go away, justifying the hand wringing and pontificating here about why the team generally considered a competitive joke should be consider more than that and this win should be elevated to amazing status.

Do New England* fans constantly say "yeah Brady looked great but it was just the _________"?

Brady's entire career his divisional games have been against awful to mediocre QBs and usually also awful to mediocre teams.

Unless I missed something those wins still counted. When it was Belichick and Brady vs Jauron and trent I didn't hear NE fans downplaying their team's win. When it was Brady vs Cleo Lemon did they have to give back the W? Do their division titles still count?

One of the reasons they rack up 13+ wins every season is that the AFC East has been a joke, yet they still get the bye to the Super Bowl by getting the #1 seed.

Yes, the Jets are not good, but they are still a team with a decent defense and an offense that can make a few plays. The Bills handled them easily (the score didn't do justice to the game). No need to talk yourself out of it. It was a good win. Tyrod played well. The Bills are 1-0.

No, I fully understand why people are saying it was just the Jets, and that is because the Jets are just that bad, and we are not a proven commodity by any means. Pats are a terrible example...they are a dynasty, perennial SB contender and the current defending champs. People already know how good they are.

We didn't have a stellar preseason, we were a 7 win team last year, and we have a lot to prove with new personnel and new staff. So while I love the win, and felt the team played even better than the score indicates (thanks to Clay whiff and FG shank the score didn't represent the level of play we showed), its still very much in question just how good, bad, or mediocre this team is.

Just like the Rams...no one is going to annoit them the team to beat in their division because they dominated the worst team in the NFL week 1. This is the same team that started 3-1 last year just to go on and win only one more game the rest of the season.

This week will be a better test as Carolina isnt an Elite team, but they are a solid mid range team with the potential to be pretty good. If we show well this week, then I think its time to consider the Bills this year aren't going to be as bad some thought. This team needs to earn respect and confidence.

Edited by Alphadawg7

To the O.P., I'm not sure why you are so bothered. We're not just talking about a bad NFL team in the Jets, a team with the worst odds in NFL history going into week 1 of winning the Superbowl (1,000-1). Next closest in the entire history of the NFL is 250-1. If the Jets had won the game, I'm sure their fans would have been saying "it's just the Bills" with the expectation that the Bills are supposed to be a bad team (which they are). If by some miracle, we get to the end of week 3 and the Bills are sitting there at 3-0, we won't be saying "it's just the Jets, Panthers, and Broncos". If they're 1-2, then yes. It's just the Jets. Many expect them to be 1-2 after the next two games.

a win is a win but it was just the Jets. using that game as a benchmark for anything would not be wise

And it was week one in the NFL where you can never truly gauge a team and project the rest of their season (See patriots/chiefs).

I still think we'll know who this team really is after the next three games because most pundits expect us to be 1-3 after that stretch would also project another non playoff/losing season.

And it was week one in the NFL where you can never truly gauge a team and project the rest of their season (See patriots/chiefs).

I still think we'll know who this team really is after the next three games because most pundits expect us to be 1-3 after that stretch would also project another non playoff/losing season.

Trent got us to 5-0 and we still missed the playoffs. we won't know...until we know. ya know?

To the O.P., I'm not sure why you are so bothered. We're not just talking about a bad NFL team in the Jets, a team with the worst odds in NFL history going into week 1 of winning the Superbowl (1,000-1). Next closest in the entire history of the NFL is 250-1. If the Jets had won the game, I'm sure their fans would have been saying "it's just the Bills" with the expectation that the Bills are supposed to be a bad team (which they are). If by some miracle, we get to the end of week 3 and the Bills are sitting there at 3-0, we won't be saying "it's just the Jets, Panthers, and Broncos". If they're 1-2, then yes. It's just the Jets. Many expect them to be 1-2 after the next two games.

The crepe hangers will still be out in force dredging up Trent and Fitz nightmares. Too many posters use doom and gloom as proof positive of their football acumen.

Trent got us to 5-0 and we still missed the playoffs. we won't know...until we know. ya know?

and there it is

Exactly, this team could go 6-0 and it would mean very little to most astute fans that have paid attention the last 17 years.

It's a 16 game season and I want a team that plays their best football in Nov/Dec/Jan, not Sept/Oct. But given the Bills schedule down the stretch they really do need to stack some wins early on assuming they aren't going to be terrible throughout.

The crepe hangers will still be out in force dredging up Trent and Fitz nightmares. Too many posters use doom and gloom as proof positive of their football acumen.

and there it is

so the Bills go 3-0 and we win the super bowl? i didn't know that's how it works. last time i checked it was a 16 game season. being 3-0 tells us what being 1-0 vs the Jets tells us: next to nothing

McCown has a .295 winning percentage

That's what makes the it was just the jets comments valid. They are going so out of their way to tank its embarrassing. The worst qb they could find to make it look like they tried to sign a legitimate bridge, not going for it from mid field on 4th and 6 with 5 minutes left. Taking the yards and not the down with 3 minutes to go.

and there it is

Let's not forget that Trent looked good until he got his bell wrong. From that point forward, he played in fear.

We've lost to some really crappy teams in the past. So, to me, any win is worth celebrating.

Given that "it was just the Jets," I'm not ready to make bold predictions about the future. I'm conscious of who the opponent was. But that doesn't damper my elevated mood this week coming off a win.

We started the season needing probably 10 wins to get into the playoffs. Well, now, we just need 9 more in the next 15 games. 6% of the season played but we're already 10% toward our goal.

Makes sense.

I'm glad the Bills won. But it WAS just the Jets.

Top to bottom, New York has one of the worst rosters in the NFL.

In my opinion, only the San Francisco 49ers and Cleveland Browns could be in the conversation for having less talent.

Even the people predicting a 5-11 or worse season figured we should be able to beat the Jets at home.

Nobody is going to show the Bills respect until they start winning games in bunches, and start playing consistently strong every week.

The way I see it, as a Bills fan I want to see my team get good. Really good. I don't want to just sneak into the playoffs based on the number of wins we managed for the season only to be beaten in the first round. What good is getting into the playoffs if they just lose? So when I see the Bills beat an obvious underdog with zero hopes for this season, the only way I could be excited is if the Bills completely dominated the game as a good team should. While there were some good plays, they definitely did not dominate the Jets the way a good team would (think *Pats running up the scoreboard against the Bills), and therefore after the win the only conclusion I can draw is, "Well, it was just the Jets..."

so the Bills go 3-0 and we win the super bowl? i didn't know that's how it works. last time i checked it was a 16 game season. being 3-0 tells us what being 1-0 vs the Jets tells us: next to nothing

That was my point. It's way too soon to know anything, either positive or negative (as it applies to the whole season's performance.) Until the half way mark all you have is indicators. They're probably not going to be 1-7 or 7-1 (although I'll take 7-1). My comment was directed at both ends of the lunatic fringe spectrum. Even though most posters are way above average in real football smarts and provide great insight on the Bills with what they write (and why I usually keep my mouth shut) it seems that far too often some here put their thoughts in motion without engaging their brain first.

That was my point. It's way too soon to know anything, either positive or negative (as it applies to the whole season's performance.) Until the half way mark all you have is indicators. They're probably not going to be 1-7 or 7-1 (although I'll take 7-1). My comment was directed at both ends of the lunatic fringe spectrum. Even though most posters are way above average in real football smarts and provide great insight on the Bills with what they write (and why I usually keep my mouth shut) it seems that far too often some here put their thoughts in motion without engaging their brain first.

a bad loss would have told us a ton negatively, the win is a good baby step of a positive for the season.

It really is just the Jets. Can't take much away from that game other than they were ready to complete and won a game they were supposed to win.

It's a positive for sure but drawing other conclusions against a bad football team is kinda pointless. They were ready to go for week one and now we'll see if they have the ability to beat a better team on the road in week two.

A truly terrible team is trying to lose and we should rejoice about beating them at home?

Jets will win between 0 and 4 games this season.

Bills win this week and they have an outside shot at 8 wins.

Yippee.

Even when the Bills dominated the Colts and healthy Andrew Luck in Rex Ryan's debut a few years ago I wasn't fooled.

Also anybody remember 2003 when we shut out the Patriots 31-0?

How about 2008 and 2011?

Barely beating a ragged Jets roster is just that...and pretty sure just about every team on our schedule this year has the Bills game circled as a win,

LOL

It was just the Jits.. The Bills have a 17 year long history to pull from.. Until we show we are a consistent team then the fact remains.. It was just the jets

Am I encouraged... yes but been down this road before so I have to temper expectation. Proof is in the pudding. I'll make my call on this team mid October.. Week 6 / 7

This team has been letting me down for 17 years. The Bledsoe loss against the Steelers. The 4-0 start with Fitz just to name a few moments. Not getting my hopes up after beating the Jets. The Jets blow. It was like winning a fifth preseason game. The win tells us absolutely nothing with respect to the rest of this season. On the plus sign the team did appear to be better prepared. Fewer penalties. No mass confusion getting plays and players in and out between downs. Big pluses. Just dont think this team has the overall talent to be more than a 7,8, or 9 win team at the most.

We'll, the JESTS fans can console themselves with "We'll, it was just The Bills".

Jets fans are probably saying, "We gave the game away on purpose; at least with other teams we won't have to work so hard to lose the game."

Pats get the benefit of the doubt because they win all the time.

We don't get the benefit of ****.

It was just the Jets. They blow, and it's not as if we just imposed our will on them. To be excited beating the jets you really have to hang 35 on their D, and have the game put away by halftime.

My opinion of course...