Anyone else tired of hearing "it was just the Jets..."?

TheFunPolice

Do New England* fans constantly say "yeah Brady looked great but it was just the _________"?

Brady's entire career his divisional games have been against awful to mediocre QBs and usually also awful to mediocre teams.

Unless I missed something those wins still counted. When it was Belichick and Brady vs Jauron and trent I didn't hear NE fans downplaying their team's win. When it was Brady vs Cleo Lemon did they have to give back the W? Do their division titles still count?

One of the reasons they rack up 13+ wins every season is that the AFC East has been a joke, yet they still get the bye to the Super Bowl by getting the #1 seed.

Yes, the Jets are not good, but they are still a team with a decent defense and an offense that can make a few plays. The Bills handled them easily (the score didn't do justice to the game). No need to talk yourself out of it. It was a good win. Tyrod played well. The Bills are 1-0.

Edited by TheFunPolice

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No because this was the equivalent of playing a game in "Tutorial Mode" where it teaches you how to play and while you might be playing against the AI, its geared towards being extremely easy and you almost can't "lose" to it. This is closest thing I can think of comparing the Jets to. Might as well have been a preseason game.

Bills season against real teams starts this week against Carolina.

No because this was the equivalent of playing a game in "Tutorial Mode" where it teaches you how to play and while you might be playing against the AI, its geared towards being extremely easy and you almost can't "lose" to it. This is closest thing I can think of comparing the Jets to. Might as well have been a preseason game.

Bills season against real teams starts this week against Carolina.

Wrong.

Still a division game.

Do New England* fans constantly say "yeah Brady looked great but it was just the _________"?

Brady's entire career his divisional games have been against awful to mediocre QBs and usually also awful to mediocre teams.

Unless I missed something those wins still counted. When it was Belichick and Brady vs Jauron and trent I didn't hear NE fans downplaying their team's win. When it was Brady vs Cleo Lemon did they have to give back the W? Do their division titles still count?

One of the reasons they rack up 13+ wins every season is that the AFC East has been a joke, yet they still get the bye to the Super Bowl by getting the #1 seed.

Yes, the Jets are not good, but they are still a team with a decent defense and an offense that can make a few plays. The Bills handled them easily (the score didn't do justice to the game). No need to talk yourself out of it. It was a good win. Tyrod played well. The Bills are 1-0.

I am totally tired of it. These negative nellies conveniently avoid the fact that EVERY player on that team and every team is vetted by a professional NFL scouting staff. It was a damn good win and I dont care what the opponents record is. There is no such thing as a bad team in the NFL..PERIOD. EDIT: The delta between a "good" and "bad" NFL team is really not as significant as these band-wagon fans suggest.

Read my sig line.

Done.

Edited by jaybee

A lot of punditry attributes the Pats* success to their fledgling division, a theory that doesn't hold up against their playoff record which is why I don't buy it.

Nor do I buy the rationale for tampering this week's win since in the same breath the same pouty faces bemoan the fact that we didn't target WRs en route to 400 yards of offense and that we aggressively rotated the DLine en route to surrendering <40 yards rushing.

Some people just B word. Always have always will.

I am totally tired of it. These negative nellies conveniently avoid the fact that EVERY player on that team and every team is vetted by a professional NFL scouting staff. It was a damn good win and I dont care what the opponents record is. There is no such thing as a bad team in the NFL..PERIOD.

Open Google, type in Jets tank, Jets all time worst team, type in bad teams in the NFL.

Jets certainly are a bad football team.

While it is hard to benchmark exactly where Bills are in the NFL pecking order based on an inferior Week 1 opponent, there are a few things that must be observed:

1. The Bills showed that they could beat a team that they are SUPPOSED to beat.

2. They beat this team in relatively dominant fashion: the Bills rank in the top five in both offense AND defense after week one.

3. The Jets are a division rival who beat them twice last year. The Jets were not a very good team last year either.

4. One of my big fears this off-season was how well the offensive line would stand up. They looked pretty good against an upper echelon defensive line on Sunday.

So plenty of positives to take away from the game even if it was ONLY the Jets. Still, cautious optimism remains in order. Carolina is a much better team than the Jets -- and this game is a road game for the Bills. So Test #2 is on the way.

We've lost to some really crappy teams in the past. So, to me, any win is worth celebrating.

Given that "it was just the Jets," I'm not ready to make bold predictions about the future. I'm conscious of who the opponent was. But that doesn't damper my elevated mood this week coming off a win.

We started the season needing probably 10 wins to get into the playoffs. Well, now, we just need 9 more in the next 15 games. 6% of the season played but we're already 10% toward our goal.

It's going to stink when we miss the playoffs because the Jets game didn't count

Far wittier way of making the same point I was trying to make.